Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,587 members, 7,816,444 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:21 AM

What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell (39409 Views)

Nigerian Man Marries With ‘fake’ Genotype, Abandons Wife With ‘sickle Cell’ Kids / Hidden Life Rules That I Learned Too Late In Life / Candace Owen: I Learned That Feminism Is A Scam, It Tears Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Yorubaipobhausa(m): 5:41pm On Feb 19, 2022
Besto:
You no do anything and you allow them carry you go cell.

Guy you dull.

Hold your Grounds next time.
Na mumu dey follow Nigeria police drag
Are you tired of living

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by MufasaLion: 5:42pm On Feb 19, 2022
Besto:

Once you are very clean and sure of yourself.

Shout and attract passers-by.

Them go leave you.

Yes, right. And I noticed that an average Nigerian Cop use intimidation most times. They tend to make you fear them. Well, I've never been unfortunate to be locked.

1 Like

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Bouncin(m): 5:42pm On Feb 19, 2022
I no wan enter niaja police cell abeg. undecided
Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by WallpaperGuy: 5:44pm On Feb 19, 2022
Seen
Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Haakeem(m): 5:44pm On Feb 19, 2022
Yorubaipobhausa:
Na mumu dey follow Nigeria police drag Are you tired of living
ahbi o.
Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Ekealterego: 5:46pm On Feb 19, 2022
When those police come for you, first rule is never ever ever show fear.

Make mouth, talk as if you know everyone that matters.

Threaten to call soldiers, talk as if you are related to big lawyers. Talk as if you work with Transparency international. Be bold.

Next rule: DONT BEG!!!

In conclusion, Nigeria is a zoo!!

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by meobizy(f): 5:47pm On Feb 19, 2022
See the type of people I interact with in this forum. Tufia!

3 Likes

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Theunbothered: 5:48pm On Feb 19, 2022
Police in this country are even bigger criminals than the people they arrest

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Doyou2019: 5:49pm On Feb 19, 2022
gworldomer:
What a country .

A country for the fearful and the unfree. There's no democracy in Nigeria. We just dey bobo ourselves

1 Like

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by bobbybrown007: 5:50pm On Feb 19, 2022
Lola, e never finish set. They have police, chief of staff and also they have a way of greeting or welcoming new intake.
Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Nobody: 5:50pm On Feb 19, 2022
ruggedboych:
What happened to your barbecue and banana last last?? cheesy grin

There are questions, and then there are very unnecessary comments.
Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by pacespot(m): 5:50pm On Feb 19, 2022
As OP has put it, the experience in Nigeria police cell is imaginable even for someone who has not been there. If the police cell is this bad, how is the Nigeria prison will come be?

9 Likes

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Haakeem(m): 5:50pm On Feb 19, 2022
meobizy:
meaning
Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by airsaylongcome: 5:51pm On Feb 19, 2022
meobizy:

Lol! Forget o! Na make person no mis-waka. 2015 some eediot policemen detained me at Iyaganku police station Ibadan for allegedly driving one-way in a city whose inner streets I wasn't conversant with. Terrible experience.

Edit: So let me clarify what I mean by driving "one-way" as it seems like "one-way" means something different to a lot of Nigerians.

I was driving on a two-lane road that was bi-directional. Apparently, the two-lane road had been recently changed to a uni-directional road with traffic in both lanes driving in one direction. Much like you have at the Access Bank Head Office in Oniru for those conversant with Lagos. I was unaware of this change on drove through a similar road in Ibadan when the police pounced on me. The same thing happens presently in that same Oniru axis with LASTMA and Police hiding in unmarked vehicle waiting for someone who is unaware of that change to make the deadly wrong turn

5 Likes

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by TOPCRUISE(m): 5:52pm On Feb 19, 2022
And Abba kyari who is one of those causing armed robbery, cultism, kidnapping is still treated like an executive

4 Likes

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by GboyegaD(m): 5:53pm On Feb 19, 2022
Mine happened about 24 years ago at TinCan. I used to follow my mom to sell and on that day they came to raid. I asked the idiot police officer for his warrant and I got a slap in return. I was taken to jail for almost 4 hours. I kukuma slept until my mom sent some people to bail me out. She paid N2500. I still dead the Nigerian Police till tomorrow although I have some clue friends who did the short course too join the force.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Starboytwo(m): 5:54pm On Feb 19, 2022
H
Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by meeketta: 5:54pm On Feb 19, 2022
You don't need to be a criminal to visit the police cell, is an obligation every true citizen pay.
my own is similar to yours, but me, I came back sick.

4 Likes

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by shortIGBOman: 5:57pm On Feb 19, 2022
Ekealterego:
When those police come for you, first rule is never ever ever show fear.

Make mouth, talk as if you know everyone that matters.

Threaten to call soldiers, talk as if you are related to big lawyers. Talk as if you work with Transparency international. Be bold.

Next rule: DONT BEG!!!

In conclusion, Nigeria is a zoo!!

Emeka, if you do what you said to a Nigerian Police, you go collect bullet. Never threaten a Nigerian Police or raise your voice at him. You will just become a victim of a trigger happy Police man.

And point of correction, Nigeria no be zoo

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by pacespot(m): 5:59pm On Feb 19, 2022
Yorubaipobhausa:

Na mumu dey follow Nigeria police drag
Are you tired of living

You would do well for yourselves if you could stop this slavery mentality of yours. Police have tried many times to arrest me before but I have never been taken to police station in my life.

Some of this unlawful arrest and incarceration are due to the victims unable to stand their ground. Even against the military, I have stood my ground. The moment you started shivering, then you have given the impression that you are guilty as charged.

Talk to them like a man and always have answers to their questions. A man can only die once undecided

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Pascaldebravoo: 6:00pm On Feb 19, 2022
KiNg0G:
This is my second time to be unlawfully arrested and taken to a police station. yesterday their defense was they heard a complaint some boys were constituting nuisance around the neighborhood so they came to perform what they call Raid. I been unlucky,I had to go get barbecue and banana around 8:30pm just to have as my dinner...I needed something light. The keke I entered on my way back I was stopped, they ask for my ID, which I didn't have on me. Buh I told them what I do for a living....just because they saw Tatoes on my hand... They put me in the back of the car along with some boys that they have already hold..I had to sleep cell for the sec time in my life yesterday.. before morning came, I gave them my statement and got bailed out by my landlady.

here are the top 7 things I observed

1) HOLD YOUR GATE FEE

you be surprised what gate fee am I talking about, are you entering a concert that wizkid and davido are performing artists with ladies twerking, no bro..it's a cell filled with lowlife criminals of different crimes.. hardened criminals..as soon as they see a fresh person about to be put inside cell.. THEY ALWAYS EXPECT YOU TO COME IN WITH MONEY. because for them survival is what they all about..and to survive they need food daily, because many of them have been abandoned there with no body coming to bail them out.

I was forced to pay #500

2) COUNTER OR INSIDE CELL YOUR POCKETS DECIDE

can you believe I was told by one slim female police clerk, that if I was to stay in the counter till day brake I have to pay #1500.
it wasn't new to me, I had only 500naira and some change left after the barbecue purchase..I pleaded with her to take it but it fell on deaf ears..some guys that came with me quickly sorted them self out and they were told to pull their bosers and sit in chair at the corner...while the rest of us who couldn't afford was taken inside cell.

3) BAil is not free

Why was I arrested? They saw me with the barbecue and banana I bought on my way home, but they still took me to the station because I had a Tatoe like who does that?.in a civilse county...I told them I was into music during my teen days, even til now, I still get called for features and mentoring.. but this police they Just didn't care to hear from me at that time....I knew they took me as a meal ticket.mthey said am a bad boy because I have a Tatoes.

4) YOUR SOCIETAL STATUS DOSENT MATTER INSIDE A NIGERIA POLICE CELL

Those hardened criminals don't care if you own 3 venzas or benz...range rover. Or if you've build an estate or operate in real estate. They just need you to maintain and follow the laid out rules.... they don't care if your a big man or not...INFACT THE MORE AJEBOYISH YOU LOOK, the weak they sense you to be. so you have to be focus, shine your eyes and behave like them.. or try to.

They say when In romans behave like the romans.

5) SENIORITY DEPENDS ON THE STRONGEST

Yes in a Nigerian cell, it doesn't matter who first came, but who is perceived as the strongest.... but the person who has been there for a week has a higher advantage than someone who just came that paid gate fee to get a place to lie down with the smell of piss and shît besides him. Why? Because no how you came in and meet 5 guys inside..those guys has already bonded since morning...gisting... telling stories and the rest. So that just came need to use your head...if not those guys will change it instantly towards you.

6) YOUR FOOD IS OUR FOOD

I DON'T think I have to explain this, is self explanatory...the cell member's has its own governing Bodies from PRESIDO TO DIFFERENT POST. so if your bail was delayed, and your people brings food for you. The right thing to do is call them to join you.. you can't just eat it Alone.
It's never done that way on my 2 experience.

7) EARLY MORNING SINGING DEVOTION

ON my 2 experience, 5am everyone is expected to wake and the morning devotion starts between all the cells in the police station trust me if it's 4 cells...the 4 cells will coordinate the morning devotins together singing praises and worship to God almighty for life...then the presido leads them in prayer.

Note: this is not to discredit the nigeria police system but for we all to come together and share and relate With our different experiences in life thanks grin

The way they are hardened criminals so are they innocent people who are Just arrested unjustly..

Are you a Christian? If yes, your power is in your mouth you can decide not to have that experience again through your confession. Then again, u can as well remove the tattoo.

1 Like

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by MoneyGoDrop: 6:05pm On Feb 19, 2022
I had my first experience on august 2020. I was forcefully taken from anambra to FCID area 10 Abuja. It was a very neat and airy with access to water 24 hours. We were served spaghetti and beans daily for the 2 nights i spent there. Devotions were in the morning and night with preaching. I had to pay gate fee to the presido and sanitary fee to welfare.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Themainboy22: 6:05pm On Feb 19, 2022
I can relate. In addition to no 1, If you don't come with gate fee, you may seriously be beaten and forced to go and assign it from the counter.

1 Like

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Pootle: 6:10pm On Feb 19, 2022
what of the banana and suya did they keep it with your belt and phone or they eat it

1 Like

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by OracleOfTheMost(m): 6:14pm On Feb 19, 2022
Could be because the TATOES they saw on your body is different from the TATTOOS we know..

9 Likes

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by chiboycue: 6:26pm On Feb 19, 2022
KiNg0G:
This is my second time to be unlawfully arrested and taken to a police station. yesterday their defense was they heard a complaint some boys were constituting nuisance around the neighborhood so they came to perform what they call Raid. I been unlucky,I had to go get barbecue and banana around 8:30pm just to have as my dinner...I needed something light. The keke I entered on my way back I was stopped, they ask for my ID, which I didn't have on me. Buh I told them what I do for a living....just because they saw Tatoes on my hand... They put me in the back of the car along with some boys that they have already hold..I had to sleep cell for the sec time in my life yesterday.. before morning came, I gave them my statement and got bailed out by my landlady.

1) HOLD YOUR GATE FEE

you be surprised what gate fee am I talking about, are you entering a concert that wizkid and davido are performing artists with ladies twerking, no bro..it's a cell filled with lowlife criminals of different crimes.. hardened criminals..as soon as they see a fresh person about to be put inside cell.. THEY ALWAYS EXPECT YOU TO COME IN WITH MONEY. because for them survival is what they all about..and to survive they need food daily, because many of them have been abandoned there with no body coming to bail them out.

I was forced to pay #500

can you believe I was told by one slim female police clerk, that if I was to stay in the counter till day brake I have to pay #1500.
it wasn't new to me, I had only 500naira and some change left after the barbecue purchase..I pleaded with her to take it but it fell on deaf ears..some guys that came with me quickly sorted them self out and they were told to pull their bosers and sit in chair at the corner...while the rest of us who couldn't afford was taken inside cell.

3) BAil is not free

Why was I arrested? They saw me with the barbecue and banana I bought on my way home, but they still took me to the station because I had a Tatoe like who does that?.in a civilse county...I told them I was into music during my teen days, even til now, I still get called for features and mentoring.. but this police they Just didn't care to hear from me at that time....I knew they took me as a meal ticket.mthey said am a bad boy because I have a Tatoes.

Those hardened criminals don't care if you own 3 venzas or benz...range rover. Or if you've build an estate or operate in real estate. They just need you to maintain and follow the laid out rules.... they don't care if your a big man or not...INFACT THE MORE AJEBOYISH YOU LOOK, the weak they sense you to be. so you have to be focus, shine your eyes and behave like them.. or try to.

Yes in a Nigerian cell, it doesn't matter who first came, but who is perceived as the strongest.... but the person who has been there for a week has a higher advantage than someone who just came that paid gate fee to get a place to lie down with the smell of piss and shît besides him. Why? Because no how you came in and meet 5 guys inside..those guys has already bonded since morning...gisting... telling stories and the rest. So that just came need to use your head...if not those guys will change it instantly towards you.

6) YOUR FOOD IS OUR FOOD

I DON'T think I have to explain this, is self explanatory...the cell member's has its own governing Bodies from PRESIDO TO DIFFERENT POST. so if your bail was delayed, and your people brings food for you. The right thing to do is call them to join you.. you can't just eat it Alone.

ON my 2 experience, 5am everyone is expected to wake and the morning devotion starts between all the cells in the police station trust me if it's 4 cells...the 4 cells will coordinate the morning devotins together singing praises and worship to God almighty for life...then the presido leads them in prayer.

Note: this is not to discredit the nigeria police system but for we all to come together and share and relate With our different experiences in life thanks grin

The way they are hardened criminals so are they innocent people who are Just arrested unjustly..

Sorry o you really learnt a lot within the short encourter in Police cell. May God continue to deliver us all from the snares of the Police in difficult times like these.

1 Like

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by seanwilliam(m): 6:27pm On Feb 19, 2022
Besto:

Once you are very clean and sure of yourself.

Shout and attract passers-by.

Them go leave you.
depends on the time of day , and the place it takes place o

2 Likes

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by OBALOLA55(m): 6:28pm On Feb 19, 2022
Abovebest:

You no go understand
SO YOU ARE NOW AN EX CONVICT
Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by merits(m): 6:31pm On Feb 19, 2022
KiNg0G:

1) HOLD YOUR GATE FEE

I was forced to pay #500

3) BAil is not free

6) YOUR FOOD IS OUR FOOD

life.........that's life bro.I pray this would be your last time to enter gallow because gallow life is a very bad and terrible experience,I can relate to your topic.

1 Like

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Lumina1702(m): 6:37pm On Feb 19, 2022
I can relate with the experience of the writer following my18hours ordeal at the Police Station in Abraka after the day's lecture.My inability to sort the ugly and foul-mouthed woman officer led me to be "posted" to one of the 2 cells (See how the inmates dey wait for me like #1 on the NBA draft list)..My empty pocket and inability to pay the cell tax(written on the wall with wax) sentenced me to a reception party where about 13 inmates gave me 2 blows each on my bent back before I was instructed to watch and hang on an Imaginary TV..(Pigeon holes not upto 5cm deep): As I lay on the ground; na so men dey come do marksmanship with their urine into one 10 litre gallon..I surprise when OC torture wake everybody up around 2am say one winch dey our midst... Come,see Prayers o, especially from one abandoned inmate wey consume the better eba and egusi soup my aunt sent me... Finally,bail wasnt free for a case the police had no jurisdiction over.( The male students in our hostel (Block A,B,C)were taken away on a spurious claim of illegal connection of cables among the blocks. (In all, I learnt the value of freedom

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Newboss(m): 6:38pm On Feb 19, 2022
And somebody go open his mouth and ask why we're leaving Nigeria.

Some people no just get sense. They think it's money we are going abroad to look for.

8 Likes

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by emmyluizzz: 6:40pm On Feb 19, 2022
I have been arrested twice by the police and those two times I don't really know the crime I committed but I have always been lucky cos I have never enter the cell....just the counter and I get bail out fast

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Any Woman That Can't Cook Is Highly Irresponsible. / I Just Cut The Cord With My Father / Children Of Woman Who Hired Assassin To Kill Her Husband: "Forgive Our Mum"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.