Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,520 members, 7,816,263 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:26 AM

What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell (39402 Views)

Nigerian Man Marries With ‘fake’ Genotype, Abandons Wife With ‘sickle Cell’ Kids / Hidden Life Rules That I Learned Too Late In Life / Candace Owen: I Learned That Feminism Is A Scam, It Tears Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Albertone(m): 11:32am On Feb 20, 2022
Besto:

Like seriously

So for example I'm driving with all complete documents after a police check.

Police go just tell me say make we dey go station even after he has checked my papers and it's complete.

Then me I go begin submit like Dundee go the station on what grounds.

I think your problem is you think our police men are sane individuals who doesn't reason like animals.

They can falsely accuse you of armed robbery, possession of drugs e.t.c.
At the station,nobody will believe you if you deny it because normally, criminals do deny their crime.

We don't have a police,we only have legal criminals with uniform and gun.This is Nigeria not abroad.A lot of innocent people were charged to court by the police and sentenced to prison or death.

The best thing is have money to free yourself or know an important person i.e high ranking policeman,high ranking soldier, top politician or you have a good lawyer.

4 Likes

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by thinkmoney(m): 11:44am On Feb 20, 2022
KiNg0G:

you didn't insult me, buh you assumed I was arrested because I didn't speak "good" English with them.
don't you see how dumb u are?
police man spoke pidgin to me, I should start blowing big big grammer's because I want to prove a point.

fûcking lowlife illiterate coming here to form professor in english.

how confident do you think you are? have you seen men with balls?
all this kids thinks life is the same like their mamas kitchen.

Oya bye bye....u av given off yourself too much here.
People with discernment would have seen you for who you are. Enjoy your weekend bro
Plus, I wasn't there with you and the policemen, but you see I was able to correctly determine the way you related with them. That's discernment. I had an issue with them just this last Sunday and I handled my experience with them way more better than yours.
Find peace bro.
Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by KiNg0G: 12:05pm On Feb 20, 2022
thinkmoney:

Oya bye bye....u av given off yourself too much here.
People with discernment would have seen you for who you are. Enjoy your weekend bro
Plus, I wasn't there with you and the policemen, but you see I was able to correctly determine the way you related with them. That's discernment. I had an issue with them just this last Sunday and I handled my experience with them way more better than yours.
Find peace bro.
funny how you used discernment twice, trying to show us how good you are with english but maybe you are not as sharp as you think.
Boy I just felt like engaging your tantrums this morning because i know your types, mummy's pet and daddies frnd. people like you can't survive in the creeks on their own.
I tell you what, the fact that you are comparing my case with yours on a different scenarios shows how immature you are and am Just wasting my time.

what a joke, with all the things been said about nigeria police force you still arguing I was arrested because my English wasn't good.

2 Likes

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by thinkmoney(m): 12:17pm On Feb 20, 2022
KiNg0G:

funny how you used discernment twice, trying to show us how good you are with english but maybe you are not as sharp as you think.
Boy I just felt like engaging your tantrums this morning because i know your types, mummy's pet and daddies frnd. people like you can't survive in the creeks on their own.
I tell you what, the fact that you are comparing my case with yours on a different scenarios shows how immature you are and am Just wasting my time.

what a joke, with all the things been said about nigeria police force you still arguing I was arrested because my English wasn't good.
You like fight. But I love you however. I haven't met you before so why won't I?
Note though, that there are people that have gift of reading people. I have had a lot of experiences.
I never inferred that you were arrested because of your bad english. I just said confidence and the means of showing it (which good skill of communication is among), goes a long way at determining how Nigeria police treats you. This is the truth. It's not only true with Nigeria police, it holds true with everybody.
They are wrong to have profiled and milked you the way they did.
However, bro, I have been able to measure your personality just from here. I have looked at the way you present your thought, the way you construct your arguments, the slangs you use and even the 'OG' in your moniker and I am certain I can decide your personality to a relatively good extent.
May God judge those policemen for treating u that unjustly
Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by KiNg0G: 12:41pm On Feb 20, 2022
thinkmoney:

You like fight. But I love you however. I haven't met you before so why won't I?
Note though, that there are people that have gift of reading people. I have had a lot of experiences.
I never inferred that you were arrested because of your bad english. I just said confidence and the means of showing it (which good skill of communication is among), goes a long way at determining how Nigeria police treats you. This is the truth. It's not only true with Nigeria police, it holds true with everybody.
They are wrong to have profiled and milked you the way they did.
However, bro, I have been able to measure your personality just from here. I have looked at the way you present your thought, the way you construct your arguments, the slangs you use and even the 'OG' in your moniker and I am certain I can decide your personality to a relatively good extent.
May God judge those policemen for treating u that unjustly
let's make this my last comment to you, since you have a "special gift " of knowing I can't speak good English vocally and my confidence level is low that's why I was arrested, you must be a better seer than falsprophet1.
boy you need to come out from your mamas womb, more often because you are still living there.
when I was your age I used to think and behave this way online trolling uncesseraly, until I grew up to a man that I am.
soon enough, you realise they are some cases CONFIDENCE can't handle Alone.

1 Like

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by thinkmoney(m): 12:52pm On Feb 20, 2022
KiNg0G:

let's make this my last comment to you, since you have a "special gift " of knowing I can't speak good English vocally and my confidence level is low that's why I was arrested, you must be a better seer than falsprophet1.
boy you need to come out from your mamas womb, more often because you are still living there.
when I was your age I used to think and behave this way online trolling uncesseraly, until I grew up to a man that I am.
soon enough, you realise they are some cases CONFIDENCE can't handle Alone.
Ok. I might be older than u, OG. I am sure u gave checked my pics. That's about 15years ago.
And still you might be older than me, especially when u are 40 and above. However, age is not a determinant of intelligence.
Love and light bro. You have kept my company this sunday morning.
There is something I am sure u will still do though, and u will be shocked when I point it out to you.
Love and light OG
Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by bewla(m): 1:24pm On Feb 20, 2022
dawnomike:
I pray you never experience such ever again
He is still a learner

Police ceil na child play to prison
Some time it good to go on visitation so we can appreciate God more

For no reason at all some one can be replace by this so call uniform

2 Likes

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by streetzdreamz(m): 4:26pm On Feb 20, 2022
@Op it's a sad cycle that's not ending anytime soon. I had an experience with those Sars boys during my service year. It was a lonely road and they mounted a road block, making a U-turn would indicate something sinister and since the papers were complete and I had nothing incriminating I proceeded to where they were. I was questioned and I answered them, gave my nysc I.d, driver's licence and the dude was like " I doubt the authenticity of these cards" I asked him how else should a government issued ID look like, he didn't give a response. Long story short, I ended up in a cell...They went through my phone, checked the car, saw nothing but insisted I'll be bailed. I told them no problem, I only want to know my offence, atleast I'll know what I'm paying for. Dude was like " You never ready" I finally agreed to pay when it was almost nightfall and I couldn't bear the tight space anymore because I'm claustrophobic.... I parted with 8k for an offence I"ll never know. Since that encounter, I never give in to their shitty tactics again, unless I know my offence or know I've broken any law, I'm never moving an inch with them. Once you are in their custody, you are already a victim. Those guys are wall to wall assholes.

3 Likes

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Scientheosopher(m): 4:27pm On Feb 20, 2022
KiNg0G:

Bros, you talk like say nor be Naija we all dey.

You want make them start to manhunt for me again for Post when enter fp...if the problem start you go dey there with me?

Agbeg free me jhor.

I nor get level, I nor get connection.

We all know how the country be.

For you info no one likes the treatment from Nigeria police.

I understand your fears. Yet, your writing is already a discredit. If you don't want a possible attention from the Nigerian Police in the first place, you shouldn't have written it. Or you don't know that from this, it's possible for a human right activist or the Commissioner of Police (If he wants a cheap popularity) to contact you?

You no get connection? This Police mata na one of the ways for you to get am. I no go tell how; reason am yourself. See, for Bible, after God punish Cain, hin tell God say people fit kill am because dem plenty. So God come talk say anybody wey kill Cain Him go avenge am x7. Naso everybody take commot hand for Cain mata! Some of the connections I have, I got them via problems.

2 Likes

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by temmym4(m): 5:17pm On Feb 20, 2022
Besto:
You no do anything and you allow them carry you go cell.

Guy you dull.

Hold your Grounds next time.

Pray u dont come into a minor issue that got cooked up and then became a serious issue by a wicked group of Nigeria Police. Even your ground that you held will free itself from you.

Ask the experienced ones.

3 Likes

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by ElValiente(m): 5:40pm On Feb 20, 2022
ruggedboych:
What happened to your barbecue and banana last last?? cheesy grin

Dpo go give his olosho cheesy
Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Pascopele: 7:30am On Feb 21, 2022
thinkmoney:
. No friend, I have had many experiences with them do. Maybe it's not about the English alone, but if you express urself with some discernible air of confidence, they sense it and treat u accordingly.
They will be careful not to overdo as it were as they won't know who u are really
I dey laugh you, I would have shared an experience with you but I no get power to type.
Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Pascopele: 7:34am On Feb 21, 2022
temmym4:

Pray u dont come into a minor issue that got cooked up and then became a serious issue by a wicked group of Nigeria Police. Even your ground that you held will free itself from you.

Ask the experienced ones.
Some of them talking haven't experienced anything. Just trying to bring out my phone at Pedro junction police station, the traffic warden dragged me by the trousers, saying I wanted to snap him collecting bribe, I hold ground, dragged the matter with them, then I knew you don't hold ground with police officer on their turf and that's what landed me to prison series of allegations cooked up and level against me. If not for a law firm doing csr, I would still be in prison.

2 Likes

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Pascopele: 7:37am On Feb 21, 2022
bewla:
He is still a learner

Police ceil na child play to prison
Some time it good to go on visitation so we can appreciate God more

for no reason at all some one can be replace by this so call uniform
fact, saw this at the police station and 2 killed by police officer at about 2:00 am

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Pascopele: 8:10am On Feb 21, 2022
streetzdreamz:
@Op it's a sad cycle that's not ending anytime soon. I had an experience with those Sars boys during my service year. It was a lonely road and they mounted a road block, making a U-turn would indicate something sinister and since the papers were complete and I had nothing incriminating I proceeded to where they were. I was questioned and I answered them, gave my nysc I.d, driver's licence and the dude was like " I doubt the authenticity of these cards" I asked him how else should a government issued ID look like, he didn't give a response. Long story short, I ended up in a cell...They went through my phone, checked the car, saw nothing but insisted I'll be bailed. I told them no problem, I only want to know my offence, atleast I'll know what I'm paying for. Dude was like " You never ready" I finally agreed to pay when it was almost nightfall and I couldn't bear the tight space anymore because I'm claustrophobic.... I parted with 8k for an offence I"ll never know. Since that encounter, I never give in to their shitty tactics again, unless I know my offence or know I've broken any law, I'm never moving an inch with them. Once you are in their custody, you are already a victim. Those guys are wall to wall assholes.
True once you are there, bail yourself by any means necessary.

2 Likes

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by DaBogu: 8:27am On Feb 21, 2022
I don’t like to remember or talk about my prison experience, the reason why I have been mute about it all through. The life there is sickening! It is an experience that can drain you for life. I’m not talking about prison in general, I’m talking about the the NIGERIAN PRISON. Nigeria is ruined tbh. And I don’t think we would ever get out of this terrible state till death. I am not being negative, I’m a very optimistic person but I have seen it all trust me.

To start with, I think Nigeria is the only country where you are accused for something and without proof or evidence to show, you can be in jail for the rest of your life. If you know you don’t have families to fight for you, please don’t be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Do you know there are teenagers in the Nigerian prison Small boys barely 18 are there for Crimes they did not commit or know absolutely nothing about?

While I was there, there was this boy they always call chin- chin in my cell. I kept wondering why they always called him that and asked him one day - Guy come here, why do they call you chin-chin all the time? guess his reply? “i was hungry and I stole chin chin” that was what brought him to prison. He looked gentle. I was 100% sure the boy is barely 20 years old. My heart was filled with tears but I could not cry so he doesn’t feel too bad. I asked again, are you sure that is what brought you here? He said “nothing else bro” and I was shocked! I guess he does not have people to fight for him, or probably his parents/family are tired of trying. If you know what it cost to get out of prison, you will be shocked! Everything I’m saying to you right now is real. No jokes. There was another young guy, I was particular about these young boys cos I kept wondering what they would have done to be in prison. If you see guys 30-40 years old in there, true or not you will lowkey feel they committed the crime. But not these young boys.

There was this boy, he works for his oga, the oga just came one day and accused him of stealing 200k from his shop. The boy said he barely stayed 3 days in a police cell before he was brought to prison. A boy barely 20 years old! No proper investigation, nothing was done! I thought Prison was for people with serious cases. people who have been convicted for crimes committed with “evidence” or they were caught in the act When did it turn a place for keeping suspects like small boys? You know what made this particular case worse? It is the fact that the parent/ family of the boy wanted to settle out of court. Saying sir, please give us 2 months, we would pay so and so monthly to cover up but the OGA did not agree. It was hurting!!!

The boy, I had to ask him again, Just gist me guy, did you move this money? He was like “bros, we are here together. There is absolutely nothing to be corny about, I did not steal his money.” Argh! I lost hope in Nigeria! This time a tear dropped!

I’m talking about serving you garri with no sugar! Just raw garri in plates. No sugar, water, milk or anything to it. Just raw garri for your chewing pleasure. There are about 3 or 4 foods in the Nigerian prison. Watery beans and dead ass garri. The garri are those ones that blind your eyes over time when you eat them too much. Yes you heard me correctly. At some point, these inmates don’t see properly again, cos too much of this garri.

The other is Eba and egusi, they won’t even make the eba well to start with, talk more of the egusi, it feels like hell fire. Egusi that taste like water. Guys what does water taste like again? It is tasteless!!! And they served rice. Will be honest with you guys, this was the only average food I could eat. Not cos it was sweet, but aspa u can chew rice alone now. Cos the stew was trash. Imagine putting 2-3 spoons of stew inside 2 paint of rice. Yeah that’s what it felt like. It was hell. That was the only food every one eats, cos at least you can eat raw rice and still be fine Let’s leave the food part.

We move to the numbers in the cells. Here is probably the toughest part of it all, if it’s time to sleep, it’s time to cry. Think about this, look at your room; look around very well. It is just you right? Yeah it’s comfort and you don’t want anyone else. Imagine if your room had like 200 people inside it. Just the thought of it alone is sickening right? That’s how the NIGERIAN PRISON is. Imagine them placing like over 200 inmates in one room. Now forget about if They committed the crimes or not. Actualize what I’m saying here. A small room filled with 200+ people. Do you know what it feels like You can’t even fucking breath ! Talkless of sleeping !!!

I fucking paid to sleep under a bed! Yes there are payments in the Nigerian prison. Everytime they bring in a new inmate, the prison guards are angry and its understandable. The marshals of each cell are angry and it is understandable. Too many persons, too little space!

I paid about N10,0000 (10k) to sleep under a bed. Full time bed space cost about 30k or so. I could not afford that at that time. If you would keep inmates, for crimes committed or not! At least put them in a safe and comfortable place. Not like you are leaving them to die. Imagine me paying 10k to sleep under a bed. You should understand what it felt like to sleep in the general place. They sleep on top of each other. Yehhhh! You heard me right. They sleep in chains! People sleep on top of you.

U can’t fucking move your legs! Ah I was ready to go to hell then. Cos earth was trash and the life and stress was not worth it. Guys, there are thousands of inmates who did not do shit and are in jail! The Nigerian police do not do proper investigation, please watch yourselves.

Know your movements and do not stay out too late. You could be the next person for doing absolutely nothing. Nigeria can never be better. Care for yourself and your family till

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by lavylilly: 8:42am On Feb 21, 2022
Hmmmm! My 3days in Cell for an offence I didn't commit opened my eyes to another world.
Hmmm! So it has become a crime to assist accident victims while driving & the bad eggs in NPF refused to do a thorough investigation because they brought a fake witness concocted by them. If not because of Almighty Jehovah GOD & Man-knows-man, I would have had it worst than that!
Hmmm! Naija system, where do we go from here?

Imagine my friend went to report police they stole his Keke, police detained him for a week

4 Likes

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Nobody: 8:46am On Feb 21, 2022
DaBogu:

I don’t like to remember or talk about my prison experience, the reason why I have been mute about it all through. The life there is sickening! It is an experience that can drain you for life. I’m not talking about prison in general, I’m talking about the the NIGERIAN PRISON. Nigeria is ruined tbh. And I don’t think we would ever get out of this terrible state till death. I am not being negative, I’m a very optimistic person but I have seen it all trust me.

To start with, I think Nigeria is the only country where you are accused for something and without proof or evidence to show, you can be in jail for the rest of your life. If you know you don’t have families to fight for you, please don’t be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Do you know there are teenagers in the Nigerian prison Small boys barely 18 are there for Crimes they did not commit or know absolutely nothing about?

While I was there, there was this boy they always call chin- chin in my cell. I kept wondering why they always called him that and asked him one day - Guy come here, why do they call you chin-chin all the time? guess his reply? “i was hungry and I stole chin chin” that was what brought him to prison. He looked gentle. I was 100% sure the boy is barely 20 years old. My heart was filled with tears but I could not cry so he doesn’t feel too bad. I asked again, are you sure that is what brought you here? He said “nothing else bro” and I was shocked! I guess he does not have people to fight for him, or probably his parents/family are tired of trying. If you know what it cost to get out of prison, you will be shocked! Everything I’m saying to you right now is real. No jokes. There was another young guy, I was particular about these young boys cos I kept wondering what they would have done to be in prison. If you see guys 30-40 years old in there, true or not you will lowkey feel they committed the crime. But not these young boys.

There was this boy, he works for his oga, the oga just came one day and accused him of stealing 200k from his shop. The boy said he barely stayed 3 days in a police cell before he was brought to prison. A boy barely 20 years old! No proper investigation, nothing was done! I thought Prison was for people with serious cases. people who have been convicted for crimes committed with “evidence” or they were caught in the act When did it turn a place for keeping suspects like small boys? You know what made this particular case worse? It is the fact that the parent/ family of the boy wanted to settle out of court. Saying sir, please give us 2 months, we would pay so and so monthly to cover up but the OGA did not agree. It was hurting!!!

The boy, I had to ask him again, Just gist me guy, did you move this money? He was like “bros, we are here together. There is absolutely nothing to be corny about, I did not steal his money.” Argh! I lost hope in Nigeria! This time a tear dropped!

I’m talking about serving you garri with no sugar! Just raw garri in plates. No sugar, water, milk or anything to it. Just raw garri for your chewing pleasure. There are about 3 or 4 foods in the Nigerian prison. Watery beans and dead ass garri. The garri are those ones that blind your eyes over time when you eat them too much. Yes you heard me correctly. At some point, these inmates don’t see properly again, cos too much of this garri.

The other is Eba and egusi, they won’t even make the eba well to start with, talk more of the egusi, it feels like hell fire. Egusi that taste like water. Guys what does water taste like again? It is tasteless!!! And they served rice. Will be honest with you guys, this was the only average food I could eat. Not cos it was sweet, but aspa u can chew rice alone now. Cos the stew was trash. Imagine putting 2-3 spoons of stew inside 2 paint of rice. Yeah that’s what it felt like. It was hell. That was the only food every one eats, cos at least you can eat raw rice and still be fine Let’s leave the food part.

We move to the numbers in the cells. Here is probably the toughest part of it all, if it’s time to sleep, it’s time to cry. Think about this, look at your room; look around very well. It is just you right? Yeah it’s comfort and you don’t want anyone else. Imagine if your room had like 200 people inside it. Just the thought of it alone is sickening right? That’s how the NIGERIAN PRISON is. Imagine them placing like over 200 inmates in one room. Now forget about if They committed the crimes or not. Actualize what I’m saying here. A small room filled with 200+ people. Do you know what it feels like You can’t even fucking breath ! Talkless of sleeping !!!

I fucking paid to sleep under a bed! Yes there are payments in the Nigerian prison. Everytime they bring in a new inmate, the prison guards are angry and its understandable. The marshals of each cell are angry and it is understandable. Too many persons, too little space!

I paid about N10,0000 (10k) to sleep under a bed. Full time bed space cost about 30k or so. I could not afford that at that time. If you would keep inmates, for crimes committed or not! At least put them in a safe and comfortable place. Not like you are leaving them to die. Imagine me paying 10k to sleep under a bed. You should understand what it felt like to sleep in the general place. They sleep on top of each other. Yehhhh! You heard me right. They sleep in chains! People sleep on top of you.

U can’t fucking move your legs! Ah I was ready to go to hell then. Cos earth was trash and the life and stress was not worth it. Guys, there are thousands of inmates who did not do shit and are in jail! The Nigerian police do not do proper investigation, please watch yourselves.

Know your movements and do not stay out too late. You could be the next person for doing absolutely nothing. Nigeria can never be better. Care for yourself and your family till
Hmmm this write up just weak my body,spirit and soul.

6 Likes

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Hamachi(f): 9:05am On Feb 21, 2022
I have never been their but police has arrest my ez once because of being at the wrong place at the wrong time. We use 100k settle the matter so we didn't reach station.

But my junior brother has gone prison up to 3 times not police cell . He is just lucky that my dad always comes to his rescue and bail him out

The last one him enter prison again my dad left him their for like 6 month before him bail him. Since then lil brother wise up and no more fumbling

When him began to explain his prison experience to me mehn it wasnt funny

He spent 6 months in portharcourt prison and he admitted that the experience there changed his whole perspective about humanity. He said, "I saw the weak and docile become mean and cruel when invested with little power. I saw people on life sentence laughing and playing. Totally indifferent to their plight. I saw harden people melt. I saw armed robbers doing time, plotting robbery attacks! I ritualists, policemen, military men, politicians, cultist, all doing time for one offense or the other".

3 Likes

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by QuinModah(f): 9:16am On Feb 21, 2022
All Rights Reserved
My trip to Kirikiri Women Prison
AUTHOR:
Olabisi Deji-Folutile
JULY 22, 2021 1:10 PM
It all started a few months ago when the women group in the Opic Area of the Living Faith Church decided to pay a visit to the Nigerian Correctional Service(NCoS), formerly known as Nigerian Prison Service (NPS). The aim was to extend the love of Christ to the inmates.

I had heard so much about the deplorable state of Nigerian prisons and the savage treatments that inmates are often subjected to. The story out there is that it is almost impossible for anyone to go into a Nigerian prison and return as a human being. They say our prisons turn human beings into animals.

This narrative is not far-fetched going by an avalanche of reports on the problem of overpopulation in Nigerian prisons. An ex-convict of the Owerri Prison once said his cell measured 32ft in length and 28ft in width, one bathroom and two toilets with approximately 100 inmates staying there. It’s easy to imagine how dehumanising life can be in such a pathetic situation.

Aside the overcrowding and poor sanitation that characterise our prisons, there is also the problem of corruption among members of prison staff. A lawyer friend told me that lawyers always bribe their way through every point to see their clients in these facilities. And like many things in Nigeria that are never enough, food is always inadequate, medicines unavailable. Government’s decision to change the name of prison service to correctional service hasn’t resulted in any real change of story. It is still the same system, with the same people and same experience!

Unfortunately, majority of the people in these prisons are not even convicts. Most of them are still awaiting trial. As far back as 2018, data from the surveys done by the Prisoners’ Rehabilitation and Welfare Action (PRAWA) and the Nigerian Prisons Service showed that out of 68,110 inmates only 21, 354 were actually convicts while the remaining 46,756 were merely accused individuals awaiting trials.

Back to my story, a lot of us were excited about the prison visit that finally took place on Friday, July 16- the day Lagos traffic went haywire. For me, it was an opportunity to see if all the pictures in my head about Nigerian correctional homes were real or fake. Before then, the only mental pictures I had of prisons were the images provided by our Nollywood actors which were quite repulsive to say the least.

So, I had expected to see many old and undernourished women looking pale and haggard. I also thought I would see women dressed in some kind of green or blue prison uniforms, with a shaven head, cutting grass all around the prison premises. But there was nothing like that.

Advertisement
The first thing that shocked me during the visit to Kirikiri Women’s Prison, which incidentally is the only all-women prison in Nigeria, is that inmates wore their normal clothes- no prison uniform. Everyone looked well kept, well fed and full of life. Their hair was well plaited. They all appeared generally healthy. Perhaps, the only thing that fits into my expectation was the complete incarceration and restriction of the inmates’ movement to the four walls of the prison yard. Apart from this, the place is just like a normal girls’ hostel.

I later learnt that the female inmates enjoy better services because they were fewer in number compared to their male counterparts. According to available data, female prisoners make up just around two per cent of inmates population in Nigeria. I learnt that while female inmates in Kirikiri are less than 200, their male counterparts are at least 3,000. Meanwhile, the carrying capacity of facilities for women and men are almost the same.

Fortunately also for the women, the deputy controller of female prison, DCP Lizzie Ekpendu, has used her influence to expand facilities in the women prison thus further improving the living conditions there. From what I saw, the DCP deserves some commendation. She was practically like a mother to the inmates. We had waited for her for some time because she had to be around before we could have access to the inmates. By the time she came; she told us that she was held in traffic while trying to get a cake for her children’s graduation. I had thought that she was referring to her biological children until I discovered that the cake was actually meant for inmates graduating from a vocational course held within the facility.

She prefers to see the inmates as her children or at best residents. To her, they are there for a while to be reformed and rehabilitated through the action of prison officials who she described as loving but very strict. This, she proved in our presence. Despite her closeness to the inmates, she insisted on what was right. She ensured that there was a roll call of inmates before our programme was allowed to commence. She also made sure that all the inmates attended the programme.

No doubt, her efforts have raised the standard of life in that facility. The Kirikiri women prison boasts of some level of comfort for the inmates who also refer to DCP Ekpendu as their mum. Naturally, the inmates are likely to have their low moments as humans, but there is nothing that suggests that they are downcast at least from their looks.

To be candid, I had one of the best praise sessions I have ever enjoyed in a long while during the praise time led by inmates. It was powerful. It’s as if the angels temporarily relocated their place of abode. We all danced, jumped, screamed and rejoiced in the Lord with our might and strength. The atmosphere was both lifting and hilarious.

What I however found surprising is the age range of the female inmates. About 80 percent of the women in this facility are very young adults, many of them probably in their teens. Some of them are so young that they can best be described as children. It is as if the facility is only meant for young children. It looks more like a juvenile home than a women prison. I kept asking myself-how did these young ones end up in KiriKiri? What could they have done? Why is the women prison populated by young girls? What types of offences did these young girls commit?

Unfortunately out of about the 200 residents of the facility, only 32 are convicted and serving their sentences. The majority – about 167 are awaiting trial, which means that the majority of the young girls in this facility are probably on the awaiting trial list. This is very sad.

In a bid to get answers to some of my questions, I spoke with some of the young girls. They claimed they were victims of police raids. One of them said she went out to buy food in the night, and that he was apprehended by the police for wandering, and that was how she found herself in Kirikiri. Asked when she got to the facility, she said since last year. When I asked her about the efforts her parents were making to secure her release, I heard the unexpected. Her parents were not aware of where she was. How come? She said her parents lived in the village and she had not bothered to tell them where she was. Judging from the way this girl responded to my questions, she had accepted her fate. May be she was homeless before her sojourn to the prison. Who knows?

I didn’t have the opportunity to speak with many of the girls. But I guess many of them must have been arrested in brothels or in the Red Light District of Lagos. My worry is that with what I saw in Kirikiri women prison, one could be tempted to conclude that only young girls commit offences in Lagos.

Are Nigerian police telling the world that this is the situation? Why are older women not too many in Kirikiri? Is it a case of the police pretending to work by just harassing the vulnerable and ignoring the bigger and more powerful offenders? These are the real posers for the Nigerian police force.

Meanwhile, I learnt that many of these girls found themselves in prison because of lack of legal representations. I also learnt that some of them were there because they do not have the means to pay their fines which can be as small as N30, 000 or less in some cases.

It is also said that majority of the inmates remain in jail and await trial because they cannot afford the service of a lawyer. This is frustrating.

Overall, the takeaway from my prison visit is that this country is wasting its youths on different fronts. Aside grooming child bandits, terrorists, Boko Haram insurgents, cultists, etc, Nigeria is perhaps also fast breeding child sexual workers and kid convicts.

To decongest our correctional facilities of these child inmates, I suggest that government intensifies its intervention in the area of legal representation by making available more public lawyers that can provide free legal services for these young people.

Food may not really be a problem for Kirikiri inmates, but the figure of the young ladies on the awaiting trial list is definitely alarming. Wealthy individuals and organisations could also bear the responsibility of providing legal services for these inmates or assist in paying the little fines that have kept them within the prison walls unnecessarily. This will go a long way in decongesting the correctional centre.

Olabisi Deji-Folutile (PhD) is the editor-in-chief, franktalknow.com and member, Nigerian Guild of Editors. Email: bisideji@yahoo.co.uk

2 Likes

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Mordson: 1:43pm On Feb 21, 2022
T0T0fucker:
I can relate.

You dey learn quick.

If you no pay the gate fee, the hanging for you.. nor go be here.

I bet you were arrested for forcibly fvcking toto. grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by QuinModah(f): 3:55am On Feb 22, 2022
wink
Albertone:

I think your problem is you think our police men are sane individuals who doesn't reason like animals.

They can falsely accuse you of armed robbery, possession of drugs e.t.c.
At the station,nobody will believe you if you deny it because normally, criminals do deny their crime.

We don't have a police,we only have legal criminals with uniform and gun.This is Nigeria not abroad.A lot of innocent people were charged to court by the police and sentenced to prison or death.

The best thing is have money to free yourself or know an important person i.e high ranking policeman,high ranking soldier, top politician or you have a good lawyer.
Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Albertone(m): 9:08am On Feb 22, 2022
QuinModah:
wink

I asked you a question and you ignored.Because I'm insignificant ba?

2 Likes

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Albertone(m): 9:23am On Feb 22, 2022
thinkmoney:

Ok. I might be older than u, OG. I am sure u gave checked my pics. That's about 15years ago.

So you took a picture in year 2007 and you uploaded it 10 years later.

Opor fun warisi
Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Albertone(m): 9:29am On Feb 22, 2022
Scientheosopher:

I understand your fears. Yet, your writing is already a discredit. If you don't want a possible attention from the Nigerian Police in the first place, you shouldn't have written it. Or you don't know that from this, it's possible for a human right activist or the Commissioner of Police (If he wants a cheap popularity) to contact you?

You no get connection? This Police mata na one of the ways for you to get am. I no go tell how; reason am yourself. See, for Bible, after God punish Cain, hin tell God say people fit kill am because dem plenty. So God come talk say anybody wey kill Cain Him go avenge am x7. Naso everybody take commot hand for Cain mata! Some of the connections I have, I got them via problems.

If you can't tell us how,then there is no point mentioning it.
Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by thinkmoney(m): 12:34pm On Feb 22, 2022
Albertone:

So you took a picture in year 2007 and you uploaded it 10 years later.

Opor fun warisi
You don show through here waris OG. U no dey rest. Ma give you one pics. May God help u to be able to compare and contrast so u know opoor really

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Albertone(m): 2:10pm On Feb 22, 2022
thinkmoney:

You don show through here waris OG. U no dey rest. Ma give you one pics. May God help u to be able to compare and contrast so u know opoor really

You or your elder bro grin grin grin
Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by thinkmoney(m): 2:24pm On Feb 22, 2022
Albertone:

You or your elder bro grin grin grin
My grandfather grin grin grin loves bro

But at least ur body go calm down now
Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Karleb(m): 2:32pm On Feb 22, 2022
You go read this kain I thread and you no go aspire to maguire your way out of the shit hole?

2 Likes

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Karleb(m): 2:38pm On Feb 22, 2022
DaBogu:

cry cry

2 Likes

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by QuinModah(f): 2:54pm On Feb 22, 2022
Albertone:

I asked you a question and you ignored.Because I'm insignificant ba?
Apologies! Just read from the beginning of the post therein lies your answer.
Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Lastmessenger2: 3:01pm On Feb 22, 2022
QuinModah:
By Ventura1 On Dec 21, 2015
I would like to share the story of my encounter with the Nigerian police in Lagos, Nigeria specifically with the men of the Idimu Police station, Area M. As this is a story that might resonate with a lot of Nigerians, I am not unaware that the story that I am about to share is common but I believe that the fact that this happens almost daily should not allow us to see it as acceptable norm or behavior. We are after all human beings who should be accorded human dignity.

On the 15th of December 2015 at about 11am I left my house in search of fuel for my car and generator, after being able to get the product only for the car at the NNPC station I proceeded to drive down to an ATM point to withdraw some money as I intended to get some more fuel. I got to the Isheri round about very near Idimu and I was about to take the turn when I saw a police vehicle by my side with a man waving, I stopped thinking that they were requesting right of way but I noticed he was pointing that I park. I parked just by the side as a law abiding citizen and soon after 1 policeman came over and requested that he get into the vehicle, I opened the door and he asked who owned the vehicle to which I replied that I did, he also asked for my vehicle particulars, driver license all which I provided and he confirmed to be ok and intact.

He then proceeded to ask me what I do to which I replied that I was a civil servant and also showed him my identity card. I expected him to exit the vehicle at that point but he asked to see my phone, my two phones meanwhile were visibly displayed by my side. I asked him why he would want to see my phone as I felt that was a violation of my privacy but he insisted and I felt since he had returned my vehicle papers I would get the phones back immediately. At that point a 2nd police officer had walked to my side of the window, he also requested to see my other blackberry phone. I complied knowing that I had nothing to hide , it was barely 20 seconds when I gave the 2nd policeman that he asked me who had the email accounts on my blackberry device, I replied and told him I did.

The next thing I heard shocked me as the 2nd policeman made a baseless, unwarranted, logic defying statement and accused me of being an online fraudster, I couldn’t believe what I had just heard, how do you stop a man in his car without any proof, any report or prior investigation and label him an online fraudster I denied this and said I was not an online fraudster as I was a civil servant working with the government and that I had identified myself earlier on with the 1st police officer. He said he could see 2 email addresses on the phone and that was proof that I was an online fraudster, I told them that having multiple email addresses was not illegal and didn’t make me an online fraudster. All this while my phones were with them, I was told to drive to the police station to clear the accusations at that point I knew the police officers were being mischievous.
While on the short drive to the police station the police man started asking questions like “e be like say you don live abroad before?” to which I did not respond. We got to the police station and the police man continued to stay in the vehicle, I kept asking what I was brought to the station for without any valid response as he kept looking through my Facebook messages, pictures, WhatsApp, emails. Finally he said we should get out of the car and was joined by the 2nd policeman. I was taken to a canteen in the police premise at the Idimu station, there I was asked to explain pictures of my trip abroad, the picture of my passport, my letter by COREN that I was certified as a registered engineer, my pictures at work, sms sent to relatives wishing them a happy new month, emails from my bank, chats with a colleague at work who was telling me his travel plans, internal memos from my work place and other private information.
This they said showed I was online fraudster , I could not believe this, how would anyone with a sane mind claim that by sending a sms or becoming an engineer, owning multiple email addresses or travelling equate to becoming an online fraudster. It was a preposterous suggestion that I kept refuting, but these 2 policemen were hell bent on warping the rule of law. I told them since I had responded to all they had asked and as such I had nothing to be held down for, this got them more adamant and they started to say I was acting smart, after almost an hour I was asked to follow them and that they would show me, I was taken to the anti vice office on the 1st floor of a 1 storey building. I got there and the office had 3 women and another man sitted, by then they were already saying they would deal with me as they kept going through my phone they then saw some emails from a premier online store in Nigeria (names withheld) and asked how I came about that, I explained that I registered on the website and that anyone could do that. At that juncture the 1st policeman Mr. Godwin Imo (384734) retorted and said any online business is a fraud, he said I should provide an ID card from the online store, I said I did not have an ID card from the store as you only needed to register and tried explaining that just like people were on Facebook, Facebook do not issue ID’s .it was most heart-wrenching to see the display of ignorance by an officer in this modern world.

I was then told to write a statement I asked the reason why I should write any statement as I was not informed that I was arrested or being detained neither was there any case reported against me and I followed them because I thought it was just a regular traffic stop. Immediately I said that 1 of the women in the office replied in a most aggressive manner that I was not serious and I must write a statement with the policeman boasting that this was the anti robbery and not a traffic department. Knowing very well the news of how innocent people are paraded as robbers or even dead bodies displayed as robbers killed in gun battles. I decided to thread more softly with care even as I reminded them that I work and serve the Federal government just like them.
At this point I asked that I be allowed to make a call, to my shock I was refused saying I could only make a call when I had written a statement. This was a brazen denial of my basic right, I told them that I was not writing any statement at which they began to sound more menacing saying they were going to make a case out of this, another woman in the office then said I should write a statement stating all that happened and my response to any question they might ask me, at this point the 2nd officer Mr. Okah James (365635) forcefully said I should write a statement and was claiming he would write to the British embassy that I had a criminal record including all sorts of threats like writing to the online store etc , this only proved to me that these men were highly incapable of critical thinking and I had to be more careful to save my life.
I decided to write a statement only if to be able to call and notify someone of my present location before anything untoward happened. While I was filling the information details on the statement form I had filled my phone number, home address, e.t.c I was stopped short by Officer Okah James and said the best I could do was to bail myself. I pleaded to make a call so someone could come and help me, I believe the officers hearing “help” took it for me wanting to bring someone to bring money and I was allowed to make a call to a family member the Officer Okah James even spoke with my family member and I pleaded that they wait as they said I had to take them to the online stores office at Akowonjo road.
To cut the story short, after asking me to get into their vehicle with me being told I would be handcuffed after I protested severely. My family member came vouched for me and seeing that the person was elderly they soft pedaled and told lies that I was an online fraudster and I claimed to be working with the online store, a call was put to a police officer known by my family member who then spoke with Officer Okah James. After about an hour with the 2 officers they said since they had spoken with a superior officer they would let me go if I paid 10,000 naira for fuel. Seeing no headway we had to part with some money, before I was let off after I had spent over 3 hours. I can only imagine what would have happened if could not speak up or I was some uneducated persons who had no form of identification, worst still if I had no money to settle them. I feel sad for Nigeria, the very people who should protect and defend us are those who abuse and intimidate us. This is what you get even when you’re law abiding and dutifully serve your country.
NB: For record purpose I was lucky enough to have voice recordings for some of the events.

My questions and the posers that arise are these...
i. Is the Nigerian police allowed to indiscriminately violate your privacy without a warrant as in the case of my phones been searched?
ii. Is it legal for the police to hold you in their custody and refuse you a right to make a phone call and do they have such power?
iii. Do the police have the power to make a fictitious charge against you and ask you to pay bail for a charge they can’t prove?
iv. How is justice obtained for cases such as this where people are falsely accused and detained?
I hope this gets to the appropriate authorities and I can get answers as I am actually worried because I ply this route all the time and several Nigerians including myself are at the mercy of these men. All the same I love Nigeria and I am proudly one but the future needs us to speak out against evil and any form of oppression for the better tomorrow we all desires.
you see why I laugh when misfortune befall them. Stupid set of government paid terrorist.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

When Your Parents Follow You On Twitter - Photos / Edward Amaechi: A Lady In Germany Looking For Her Father / Help !! Missing Child (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 174
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.