Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,631 members, 7,816,602 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:48 PM

What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell (39411 Views)

Nigerian Man Marries With ‘fake’ Genotype, Abandons Wife With ‘sickle Cell’ Kids / Hidden Life Rules That I Learned Too Late In Life / Candace Owen: I Learned That Feminism Is A Scam, It Tears Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by MrJames007: 6:40pm On Feb 19, 2022
They carried me twice in Enugu during my school days. Slept in cell the first time, and dem release me the next day after notin comot. Second time I got released the same night since my matric was the following day.

1 Like

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by tete7000(m): 6:43pm On Feb 19, 2022
In Nigeria it is good to have some high level connections, had it been you know one senior police or military officer who called and spoke with them, they won't hold you overnight. Let try and cultivate friendship with people that can be of help in case we run into a problem.

9 Likes

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by BJanta: 6:44pm On Feb 19, 2022
dawnomike:
I pray you never experience such ever again

Amen. It's not good for anybody.
Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by tete7000(m): 6:45pm On Feb 19, 2022
Ekealterego:
When those police come for you, first rule is never ever ever show fear.

Make mouth, talk as if you know everyone that matters.

Threaten to call soldiers, talk as if you are related to big lawyers. Talk as if you work with Transparency international. Be bold.

Next rule: DONT BEG!!!

In conclusion, Nigeria is a zoo!!

Not when you meet them at isolated place. Oju olomo oto. In that case, use discretion, be wise and be careful

6 Likes

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Lightorder: 6:45pm On Feb 19, 2022
ruggedboych:
What happened to your barbecue and banana last last?? cheesy grin
that question has been hoovering over my head before you let it land

2 Likes

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Yemi4luv: 6:45pm On Feb 19, 2022
I've slept 3 Nigeria police cell, one in sango ota , ojodu Berger and eleyele cell my experience was bad I just thank God for my life .

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by olaeffect(m): 6:46pm On Feb 19, 2022
hiteelong:
Eeeyah cry, clean your tattoos if it is drawing undue attention, we have to do all in our power to stay safe in this country

Walahi you are correct 100%
Sometimes I will see the haircut some people rock and I will just shake my head.
You cant intentionally take out time to make yourself look like a criminal and then turn back and blame society from treating you like one.
Not making excuses for our criminals in uniform too ooo. Those ones are an entirely different matter altogether.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Lightorder: 6:47pm On Feb 19, 2022
Besto:
You no do anything and you allow them carry you go cell.

Guy you dull.

Hold your Grounds next time.
that is you writing from Canada

7 Likes

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Brian47(m): 6:47pm On Feb 19, 2022
Thank God you dey all right

1 Like

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by tete7000(m): 6:52pm On Feb 19, 2022
OBALOLA55:
SO YOU ARE NOW AN EX CONVICT

He has never been convicted.
Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Brian47(m): 6:56pm On Feb 19, 2022
olaeffect:

Walahi you are correct 100%
Sometimes I will see the haircut some people rock and I will just shake my head.
You cant intentionally take out time to make yourself look like a criminal and then turn back and blame society from treating you like one.
Not making excuses for our criminals in uniform too ooo. Those ones are an entirely different matter altogether.

The thing is that the system in the country is meant to favour the rich.
Police won't arrest those dudes from BB Naija with derads.
But would arrest anyone with dreads in the street.
We were brainwashed by the whites to hate our own hair. Dreads is naturally our identity.

7 Likes

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by KiNg0G: 6:56pm On Feb 19, 2022
tete7000:

He has never been convicted.
Thanks for this.
That's why it's good to educated.
Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by equity1(m): 6:59pm On Feb 19, 2022
Theunbothered:
Police in this country are even bigger criminals than the people they arrest
what happened?
Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Hassanmaye(m): 7:00pm On Feb 19, 2022
Albert0011:
I remember that fateful day i was arrested with some group of weed smokers, they ran inside my room and one of the police men saw them.
Upon all the evidence i showed them,even my student ID card, that am not among them.
Even my neighbors begged and begged them, they didn't agree, they still took me to the police station and i bailed my self with 4k back then 2015.
One of them was even threatening me with a gun that i should give a statement that am a cultist,that's why i don't pity most them when ever they are killed.
Some of them are just are just naturally wicked.
I hate police
Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Nobody: 7:02pm On Feb 19, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Lol! Forget o! Na make person no mis-waka. 2015 some eediot policemen detained me at Iyaganku police station Ibadan for allegedly driving one-way in a city whose inner streets I wasn't conversant with. Terrible experience.
Share your experience na tongue
Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Nobody: 7:06pm On Feb 19, 2022
OracleOfTheMost:
Could be because the TATOES they saw on your body is different from the TATTOOS we know..

Omfg!!
Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by okoroemeka(m): 7:07pm On Feb 19, 2022
MufasaLion:
My mental health would really be affected if I get locked for just a day. Jail and Prison ain't what I wish to experience.
trust me your mental health will not be affected,you will simply adapt
Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Fahdiga(m): 7:09pm On Feb 19, 2022
dawnomike:
You have to quote all his post just to say this. Nawa o
Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by lasheun: 7:09pm On Feb 19, 2022
Maybe without the tattoo.
Because with the tattoo, he will always be a potential customer to the police.
dawnomike:

1 Like

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by MufasaLion: 7:09pm On Feb 19, 2022
okoroemeka:
trust me your mental health will not be affected,you will simply adapt

I am claustrophobic. I can never cope.

2 Likes

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by zumbigbo(m): 7:14pm On Feb 19, 2022
[quote author=Neddstark not even contemplate shyting. Just couldn't wait till I got out. Ever since then, I value my freedom more than anything else. I have done my best to stay out of trouble.
[/quote]

Intestinal suspension is real oooo
Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by SweetDipBenny(m): 7:19pm On Feb 19, 2022
My own experience was hell angry
Infact i went to hell and back
Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by MeghaneMorgane(f): 7:24pm On Feb 19, 2022
May God keep us from unfortunate situations in Jesus Christ name, Amen.

2 Likes

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Horllamideh(m): 7:29pm On Feb 19, 2022
Never arrested, my bag never searched. I have never even spent more than 5 minutes at a checkpoint before, I no dey even give them money at checkpoint. officer I no hold money.... then smile, and I will be asked to go.... works every time.

5 Likes

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Bobloco: 7:35pm On Feb 19, 2022
All I can say is........f**k the police
Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Panda7(m): 7:38pm On Feb 19, 2022
lol, sorry man. that's how the system is people are in there for no cause without trial
Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Abovebest(m): 7:48pm On Feb 19, 2022
OBALOLA55:
SO YOU ARE NOW AN EX CONVICT

Lol
Oga
Police cell not jail

1 Like

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by koolaid87: 7:59pm On Feb 19, 2022
Far better is it to live as a cleaner in Canada, Australia than live as a business owner in Nigeria.

Argue with your ancestors
Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by fitinwell: 8:02pm On Feb 19, 2022
KiNg0G:
This is my second time to be unlawfully arrested and taken to a police station. yesterday their defense was they heard a complaint some boys were constituting nuisance around the neighborhood so they came to perform what they call Raid. I been unlucky,I had to go get barbecue and banana around 8:30pm just to have as my dinner...I needed something light. The keke I entered on my way back I was stopped, they ask for my ID, which I didn't have on me. Buh I told them what I do for a living....just because they saw Tatoes on my hand... They put me in the back of the car along with some boys that they have already hold..I had to sleep cell for the sec time in my life yesterday.. before morning came, I gave them my statement and got bailed out by my landlady.

here are the top 7 things I observed

1) HOLD YOUR GATE FEE

you be surprised what gate fee am I talking about, are you entering a concert that wizkid and davido are performing artists with ladies twerking, no bro..it's a cell filled with lowlife criminals of different crimes.. hardened criminals..as soon as they see a fresh person about to be put inside cell.. THEY ALWAYS EXPECT YOU TO COME IN WITH MONEY. because for them survival is what they all about..and to survive they need food daily, because many of them have been abandoned there with no body coming to bail them out.

I was forced to pay #500

2) COUNTER OR INSIDE CELL YOUR POCKETS DECIDE

can you believe I was told by one slim female police clerk, that if I was to stay in the counter till day brake I have to pay #1500.
it wasn't new to me, I had only 500naira and some change left after the barbecue purchase..I pleaded with her to take it but it fell on deaf ears..some guys that came with me quickly sorted them self out and they were told to pull their bosers and sit in chair at the corner...while the rest of us who couldn't afford was taken inside cell.

3) BAil is not free

Why was I arrested? They saw me with the barbecue and banana I bought on my way home, but they still took me to the station because I had a Tatoe like who does that?.in a civilse county...I told them I was into music during my teen days, even til now, I still get called for features and mentoring.. but this police they Just didn't care to hear from me at that time....I knew they took me as a meal ticket.mthey said am a bad boy because I have a Tatoes.

4) YOUR SOCIETAL STATUS DOSENT MATTER INSIDE A NIGERIA POLICE CELL

Those hardened criminals don't care if you own 3 venzas or benz...range rover. Or if you've build an estate or operate in real estate. They just need you to maintain and follow the laid out rules.... they don't care if your a big man or not...INFACT THE MORE AJEBOYISH YOU LOOK, the weak they sense you to be. so you have to be focus, shine your eyes and behave like them.. or try to.

They say when In romans behave like the romans.

5) SENIORITY DEPENDS ON THE STRONGEST

Yes in a Nigerian cell, it doesn't matter who first came, but who is perceived as the strongest.... but the person who has been there for a week has a higher advantage than someone who just came that paid gate fee to get a place to lie down with the smell of piss and shît besides him. Why? Because no how you came in and meet 5 guys inside..those guys has already bonded since morning...gisting... telling stories and the rest. So that just came need to use your head...if not those guys will change it instantly towards you.

6) YOUR FOOD IS OUR FOOD

I DON'T think I have to explain this, is self explanatory...the cell member's has its own governing Bodies from PRESIDO TO DIFFERENT POST. so if your bail was delayed, and your people brings food for you. The right thing to do is call them to join you.. you can't just eat it Alone.
It's never done that way on my 2 experience.

7) EARLY MORNING SINGING DEVOTION

ON my 2 experience, 5am everyone is expected to wake and the morning devotion starts between all the cells in the police station trust me if it's 4 cells...the 4 cells will coordinate the morning devotins together singing praises and worship to God almighty for life...then the presido leads them in prayer.

Note: this is not to discredit the nigeria police system but for we all to come together and share and relate With our different experiences in life thanks grin

The way they are hardened criminals so are they innocent people who are Just arrested unjustly..

So many innocent citizens in Police cell and Prison.... Most especially when you don't have a Lawyer or your parents are not influencer... You are gone into inner cell.. My own police cell experience Mafoluku oshodi Police Station... Spent 3 weeks over a Case i have no idea about..
My accuser bribed Police Officer...and i was locked up..

It was a mixed experience... I meet new people with different stories .. we ate like families...

I remember ,a female suspect locked up .. escape before day break .. maybe IPO had one night stand with her.. who noses..

Well.. my Dad then called a friend Lawyer.. that was how the case was reviewed and discharge without bail .. after 3 weeks in Police dirty unkept cell..

I meet a guy ... He said that he hasn't spent 30days freedom .. if they released him today.. another police station will arrest him... He is a well known regular customer...

Well that was the last time..

5 Likes

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by Idaytesj29(m): 8:02pm On Feb 19, 2022
Neddstark:
Been to police cell once for a setup. Stayed for 2 days.
One thing i will never forget there is the toilet. It is the worst latrine there is on planet earth. The moment i tried to go and wee there, my urine went back up to my bladder. Had to wait 30mins for the policeman handling my case to call me out. I used that opportunity to pee outside. Did not even contemplate shyting. Just couldn't wait till I got out. [/b]Ever since then, I value my freedom more than anything else. I have done my best to stay out of trouble.[b]

The bolded is the most important. After good health, your freedom is the next most important possession. Don't be deceived to think its money.

My experience has told me the lack of freedom is not even the real challenge to be faced but the mental health issues you are most definitely going to develop and battle after incarceration, this is hellishly killing especially if you graduate from police cell to prison with a capital offence and you are unfortunately a poor dude. You are done for.

I just laugh when I see people causing trouble all over the place and threatening to kill someone. You may successfully carry out your threat but if you are arrested, your life I'm sure by 80% will never amount to something meaningful ever again.

Let's take caution and avoid troubles all the time. Especially police case. grin

7 Likes

Re: What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell by proclinician: 8:07pm On Feb 19, 2022
Nothing will make me enter Nigerian cell at all at all. I just have 2 more years to leave here never to return.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Any Woman That Can't Cook Is Highly Irresponsible. / I Just Cut The Cord With My Father / Children Of Woman Who Hired Assassin To Kill Her Husband: "Forgive Our Mum"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.