Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,314 members, 7,811,937 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:08 AM

Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? (30427 Views)

Why Do Your Friends Ignore You When They Finally Travel Out Of The Country? / First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! / Countries Your Nigerian Passport Can Get You Into Visa-free (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by KosiGee(m): 6:26pm On Feb 22, 2022
Trajan:
Hello Nlers,

So, my 7 year old child recently had his British passport mailed to him in Nigeria. He now has a flight to UK coming up.

My question is, will he be allowed to board as he doesn't possess a Nigerian passport? Please, note that I paid the airline for chaperone service.
I would really appreciate answers from immigration guys or frequent travellers.

Thanks all.

Get a Nigerian passport for him while he is still in Nigeria. It’ll make things easy for both of you. He will present both on departure and it’ll make it easy for you when you want to renew it rather than going for a new application for him in London.
He will need a Nigerian passport on coming back except he is not coming back anytime soon otherwise you’ll need to send his British passport to the Nigeria High Commission for visa application.

Get a Nigerian passport now while you can. Some of those staff at the airport don’t like it when you flash your red passport. They might delay his travel especially with him being a minor…..make sure you have enough documents to cover his travel. Some might suspect that he is being trafficked.

1 Like

Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by Bigchristo: 6:29pm On Feb 22, 2022
Trajan:
Hello Nlers,

So, my 7 year old child recently had his British passport mailed to him in Nigeria. He now has a flight to UK coming up.

My question is, will he be allowed to board as he doesn't possess a Nigerian passport? Please, note that I paid the airline for chaperone service.

Thanks all.
Your child have a Nigerian passport? If yes they will allow him if no better secure the passport for him before traveling otherwise he will not be allowed to travel, our Nigeria immigration officer will almost get you frustrated
Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by pappilo(m): 6:29pm On Feb 22, 2022
perambulator:

Technically yes, but this is Nigeria, they may give him problems for not having an entry visa on his passport, then he then has to start to explain how he is possession of a Uk passport issued in London with no entry visa and you know how Nigerians are!! it's not illegal to post a passport but we are talking about Nigerian Immigration here.

Then again they may not give him problems because he is a kid. But technically speaking they have no reason to deny him, it is not illegal to post a passport. However they may say that since he is presenting a foreign passport he is a foreigner and therefore should have a visa on his passport.

This is it. Be prepared to grease some palms. If the British passport was issued in Lagos then they you'd have been able to stand your ground but as it is UK issued, roja the immigration ppl and let your child go

1 Like

Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:29pm On Feb 22, 2022
babwilms:
He needs a Nigerian passport. Talking from experience. They will ask you how did the Child enter Naija, irrespective of the situation.

Just get the child a Naija passport.

My own situation was that my Naija passport that i had applied for, b4 my travel back due date was not ready, due to non availability of booklet.

Showed them my British passport and they asked me how I take enter the country. I explained to them and they said no. Showed them receipt, lai lai.

Listen to this guy, Like I suspected. Trust me you dont want to give Nigerian Immigration any reason for long story. It's suspicious enough that a child is travelling unaccompanied on a passport that was sent from England. How did the child get to Nigeria, where are the parents? Like I said it is not illegal but be prepared for these kind of hassles you may get because the passport was issued abroad and has no record of travel into Nigeria and no visa...and no accompanying parent!

3 Likes

Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by chiedu7: 6:32pm On Feb 22, 2022
Trajan:
Hello Nlers,

Thanks all.
No wahala at all

But he will need a Visa to return if u dont get him nija passport now
Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by Bignuell(m): 6:33pm On Feb 22, 2022
CoronaVirusPro:

He does not need a Nigerian passport

A Nigerian visa he will need when returning
Gotta ask you sir, since he doesn't need a Nigerian passport, will the visa given to him get an expiring date? I anticipate your reply. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by pappilo(m): 6:33pm On Feb 22, 2022
EgunMogaji2:
A Nigerian citizen needs a Nigerian passport to exit Nigeria.

As this is Nigeria anything goes. Have cash available for vigorous hand lubrication.

Nope... If you have the appropriate visa for Nigeria in your second country passport or the 2nd country passport was issued in Nigeria there is no requirement for you to have a Nigerian passport.
Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by swedbase(m): 6:35pm On Feb 22, 2022
With a valid British pass he would be allowed to fly to UK . He doesn't need a Nigerian pass to fly out of Nigeria. But your story get as it be
Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by airsaylongcome: 6:36pm On Feb 22, 2022
CowbellY:

Yes. As long as the passport is genuine. You only need a Nigerian passport if you’re coming back to Nigeria.

Don't you need to prove legitimate entry if immigration asks?
Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by Benprass(m): 6:37pm On Feb 22, 2022
chatinent:
If the matter concern iyana paja to orile, call me.

My hand don commot.

[img]https://c./AlrUVwjmtDQAAAAC/yikes-running.gif[/img]

Mad man lol
Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by Talawaka: 6:37pm On Feb 22, 2022
If he was born in Nigeria and has never travelled out before - fine
If he was born abroad and has no entry stamp in a previous passport - wahala

I have highlighted below why the question of how the child got to Nigeria in the first place matters cool
Note: it is applicable to all dual nationals afaik...

You cannot legally depart Nigeria unless you can prove, by presenting your visa and entry stamp, that you entered Nigeria legally. In addition, if you exceed your authorized period of stay (as determined by the duration of stay given by the entry officer), you will be required to pay a fine before being allowed to depart. The fine can be up to $4,000 USD depending on the length of overstay.

U.S.-Nigeria dual-national citizens are now required to have a valid Nigerian passport in order to depart the country. Dual-national citizens can be, and often are, denied boarding until they have obtained non-expired Nigerian passports.

Source: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Nigeria.html

1 Like

Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by osazsky(m): 6:39pm On Feb 22, 2022
He is already a nigerian he doesnt need it..u will need to process one for him if he is returning back..but i pray he never comes back ..amen
Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by CoronaVirusPro: 6:44pm On Feb 22, 2022
Bignuell:
Gotta ask you sir, since he doesn't need a Nigerian passport, will the visa given to him get an expiring date? I anticipate your reply. Thanks

Nigerian visa definitely has an expiry date

To save yourself stress with Nigerian embassy, I will advice you get a Nigerian passport for him before he departs, so it will be easier for him to come-in at will. You can’t be applying for visa every time he is returning, and Nigerian embassy is very good with disappointment and delay

Just get him a passport before he leaves.
Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by OyeofIkoTuN(m): 6:44pm On Feb 22, 2022
Loud it

chatinent:

My hand don commot.

Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by deepwater(f): 6:44pm On Feb 22, 2022
frozen70:

What stopped you from processing Nigeria passport for him while processing the UK passport

He is a dual citizen and supposed to have a Nigeria passport

Well, in the absence of that, be ready to get VISA for him in that UK passport anytime he is coming to Nigeria

you facts are based on assumptions.
who told u the kid is also a nIGERIAn?
Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by yusfaith78(m): 6:46pm On Feb 22, 2022
You need to apply for Nigeria passport first because that the only way you can prove that the baby didn’t enter Nigeria illegally. It doesn’t matter if the baby is born in Nigeria. For those saying you don’t need show Nigeria passport when leaving Nigeria because you have other countries passport, that’s not true. You need to show the immigration how you got to Nigeria in the first place either by Nigeria visa or passport. That’s the rule 100%

4 Likes

Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by jacoik(m): 6:48pm On Feb 22, 2022
chatinent:

My hand don commot.

lolxxxxx hahahaha aswear u no get sense oooo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by Qc1(m): 6:49pm On Feb 22, 2022
Trajan:
Hello Nlers,

Thanks all.

Nigeria passport is only needed for re-entry into Nigeria. You can still enter Nigeria with a naija visa on the UK passport, however, they will try to extort you at the Nigerian embassy in the UK.
Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by Naturescorner23(m): 6:49pm On Feb 22, 2022
Here for comments,meanwhile

Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by pinkcottoncandy: 6:50pm On Feb 22, 2022
They will not allow him pass without a Nigerian passport or a slip to prove that he has applied and he is waiting for it to be delivered...

Very important....there is someone in standby to ask for Nigerian passport...

Pay any immigration officer express you can apply today and get it tomorrow...64 pages...
Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by okenikpoto(m): 6:50pm On Feb 22, 2022
If I understand you correctly, he does not have a Nigerian passport. That will certainly cause problems. My question is how the citizenship was transferred? If it was transferred by either parents and the subject has never traveled out of Nigeria then you need to get a Nigerian passport for him since the British Passport did not come with a Nigerian visa that explains a foreign national entry into the country. Just get a Nigeria passport to avoid whatever may play out at the point of departure.
Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by Bignuell(m): 6:51pm On Feb 22, 2022
CoronaVirusPro:

Nigerian visa definitely has an expiry date

To save yourself stress with Nigerian embassy, I will advice you get a Nigerian passport for him before he departs, so it will be easier for him to come-in at will. You can’t be applying for visa every time he is returning, and Nigerian embassy is very good with disappointment and delay

Just get him a passport before he leaves.
Aiit, thanks
Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:52pm On Feb 22, 2022
Trajan:
Hello Nlers,

Thanks all.

Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by easiest(m): 6:53pm On Feb 22, 2022
I think they will allow him or her because my lil cousin travel to Germany alone at age 8 to meet her mom and everything went well.
Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by Tats(m): 6:53pm On Feb 22, 2022
CowbellY:

Yes. As long as the passport is genuine. You only need a Nigerian passport if you’re coming back to Nigeria.

Immigration will ask him for his Nigerian passport. If he is British, the question will be how did he come to Nigeria without a Visa on the British passport? if he was born in Nigeria, never had a Nigerian passport and never left until now, that would need to be explained.
Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by MansoryMX(m): 6:54pm On Feb 22, 2022
What of intimidating question is this? You just want us to know your 7yrs old son now has a UK passport

Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by Tats(m): 6:57pm On Feb 22, 2022
monfizzy:
Nigeria passport is only relevant when travelling to Nigeria. From Nigeria to abroad it’s immaterial regardless of age. I’ve never used my Nigerian passport when returning to Britain but just the U.K. passport and same is true for my niece who’s 12 and has been to Nigeria a few times now

While you can do that, its not quite right. If you are using British Passport to leave, you also need to show how you came into Nigeria, since the British passport does not have a record of you arriving Nigeria. Because it is Nigeria, you may be able to get away with it if you are not able to produce a Nigerian passport.
Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by dialfa: 6:58pm On Feb 22, 2022
frozen70:

What stopped you from processing Nigeria passport for him while processing the UK passport

He is a dual citizen and supposed to have a Nigeria passport

Well, in the absence of that, be ready to get VISA for him in that UK passport anytime he is coming to Nigeria

It's easier to get visa than to get nigerian passport.
Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by Tats(m): 6:58pm On Feb 22, 2022
perambulator:

Technically yes, but this is Nigeria, they may give him problems for not having an entry visa on his passport, then he then has to start to explain how he is possession of a Uk passport issued in London with no entry visa and you know how Nigerians are!! it's not illegal to post a passport but we are talking about Nigerian Immigration here.

Then again they may not give him problems because he is a kid. But technically speaking they have no reason to deny him, it is not illegal to post a passport. However they may say that since he is presenting a foreign passport (without a secondary Nigerian passport) he is presenting himself to immigration as a foreigner (which by the letter of the law is correct) and therefore should have a visa on his passport.

You are correct.
Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by jrusky(m): 6:59pm On Feb 22, 2022
Hello are you a resident in UK? I mean what document do you have in UK?

He is 7 year pls say the truth so we can help you.

If you have no residence I mean UK stay sorry there is no way your 7 years old will get British passport and he stays in Nigeria.

Anymore question direct it to me I will answer you.

Your statement showed you are not resident in UK nor possesses british "Stay" holder neither a British citizen so how did your 7 years old got the passport? because if you belong to any of the category I mentioned NL is not the right place to ask for such advice.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Makurdi Hotel In October / UK Launches 24-hour Visa Service In Nigeria / Nigeria To Place UK, Canada, Saudi Arabia On COVID-19 Red List - SaharaReporters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.