Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,291 members, 7,811,873 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:49 PM

Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? (30424 Views)

Why Do Your Friends Ignore You When They Finally Travel Out Of The Country? / First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! / Countries Your Nigerian Passport Can Get You Into Visa-free (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by Enyimbamercedes: 7:56pm On Feb 22, 2022
Trajan:
Hello Nlers,

So, my 7 year old child recently had his British passport mailed to him in Nigeria. He now has a flight to UK coming up.

My question is, will he be allowed to board as he doesn't possess a Nigerian passport? Please, note that I paid the airline for chaperone service.
I would really appreciate answers from immigration guys or frequent travellers.

Thanks all.

He will be allowed to board
Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by Trajan(m): 7:57pm On Feb 22, 2022
monfizzy:
Nigeria passport is only relevant when travelling to Nigeria. From Nigeria to abroad it’s immaterial regardless of age. I’ve never used my Nigerian passport when returning to Britain but just the U.K. passport and same is true for my niece who’s 12 and has been to Nigeria a few times now
Thank you very much.
Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by Tokziby: 8:05pm On Feb 22, 2022
Hello Trajan, if I may ask, how did u process ur son's uk passport from Nigeria? Are u or ur spouse a British citizen? If the answer is No, please I'm interested cos my son was born there and we have his red book.
Thanks.
Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by PoliteActivist: 8:07pm On Feb 22, 2022
perambulator:

You clearly have never travelled before or do not have dual nationality!!! You show your Nigerian passport, you WILL be asked for it especially if you do not have a Nigerian visa on your foreign passport! then you show your foreign passport as proof you have a right to enter your destination country. The only time you are not required to show your Nigerian passport is if you have a Nigerian visa on your foreign passport!!!

This person is right, though put a 1000 naira or so inside the UK passport, the guy will stamp it

1 Like

Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by wirinet(m): 8:09pm On Feb 22, 2022
CaseSensitive:

He necessarily don't have to hold a Nigerian passport to travel out of Nigeria, as long as the passport is legit and his end destination is the country which he also hold a citizenship of. But travelling back to Nigeria obviously will require either a Nigerian visa stamped on his UK passport or you get him a Nigerian passport for that purpose.

My advise would be to get the Nigerian passport before he leaves the country because getting a Nigerian passport in London is a whole different kind of sport, especially if like me, you live outside London.

Makes sure you obtain a Nigerian passport before he leaves, else traveling back to Nigeria in the future will be a nightmare. Also immigration officers at the airport will give problems when leaving especially as a first time traveller. You might need to hold extra something to bribe them with a little agbero style before he will be allowed to board the plane.
Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by Onyeziokwu(m): 8:10pm On Feb 22, 2022
CowbellY:

Yes. As long as the passport is genuine. You only need a Nigerian passport if you’re coming back to Nigeria.

Not just for coming back to Nigeria, but when you intend coming on a visa-free as a foreign passport holder especially when the country requires visa to come to naija.
Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by PoliteActivist: 8:14pm On Feb 22, 2022
Enyimbamercedes:

He will be allowed to board

They won't stamp that passport without bribe. Guaranteed

1 Like

Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by gbassa: 8:16pm On Feb 22, 2022
Yes your daughter can travel without a Nigerian Passport as long as her UK passport is genuine. My daughter travelled to the US without a Nigerian passport. I only did a Nigerian passport and mailed it to enable her return back to Nigeria.
Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by PoliteActivist: 8:19pm On Feb 22, 2022
Trajan:

Thank you very much.

He gave you wrong info.
If you don't have visa on a UK passport. to leave Nigeria you need an exit visa on it - unless you surreptitiously tip the person stamping the passports at the airport, without the ogas knowing. Once the ogas know, they will demand bigger bribe.

1 Like

Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by shoprite: 8:21pm On Feb 22, 2022
Dmacqh:
Since this doesn’t involve from Owerri - Okigwe , I’ve removed my hand .
All I care now is how I can secure the least 3k and buy drugs and food . Man has been sick for a week and living on Gods grace and paracetamol and garri . To go lab is war, no money.
This world truly isn’t balanced . 7 years living the dreams of 97.5% of 17-40 years old in Nigeria. I’m here looking for urgent 3k to feed .
God when please run this for me , if I’m the one I would have run it for You .

Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by PoliteActivist: 8:25pm On Feb 22, 2022
gbassa:
Yes your daughter can travel without a Nigerian Passport as long as her UK passport is genuine. My daughter travelled to the US without a Nigerian passport. I only did a Nigerian passport and mailed it to enable her return back to Nigeria.

Does she have US passport? There is something called "exit visa" people don't know about

1 Like

Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by mykel25(m): 8:29pm On Feb 22, 2022
Trajan:
Hello Nlers,

So, my 7 year old child recently had his British passport mailed to him in Nigeria. He now has a flight to UK coming up.

My question is, will he be allowed to board as he doesn't possess a Nigerian passport? Please, note that I paid the airline for chaperone service.

Thanks all.

He has the right to go to his country and he can’t be held back….. their might be questions of how he got into the country… if you have a document to show his last entrance into Nigeria it will be fine (which they normally do not ask)…. But with experience… all you need to show is your eligibility to enter the UK which he has

1 Like

Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by gbassa: 8:29pm On Feb 22, 2022
Yes she has a US passport. Though she was born in the US and came to Nigeria with a Nigerian Visa which expired after 1 month. But after some years and she wanted to travel with my wife to the US, she only used her US passport to travel.
Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by princewarri1985: 8:43pm On Feb 22, 2022
Trajan:
Hello Nlers,

Thanks all.
NO you cant travel with him unless you secure your own valid visa and the process of securing the visa will be very easy for you since you are the father and your son need an adult supervision
Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by Trajan(m): 8:52pm On Feb 22, 2022
miladelly:
He is good to go since he is British and he has his British Passport with him.

Ideally, when travelling to UK or any other western country you don't need to show your Nigeria passport WHEN you hold a Passport proving you are a nationality of that country.

But make sure you have his Birth Certificate handy...

He only needs his Nigeria Passport or Nigerian Visa inside his British Passport when he is coming to Nigeria.

Hmmmmm I will advise you quickly get his Nigeria passport for him before he leaves otherwise getting Nigerian Passport in UK can be daunting.

The way I have just explained to you is what is applicable to my children who holds Irish Passport.
Thank you indeed.
Meaning you present their birth certificates at the airport?

Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by KelB(m): 8:58pm On Feb 22, 2022
This no Hassle travel to Canada without IELTS exam will:
Show you the 'secret' sauce you need to implement to pave the way for your Canada relocation
How to search for schools and programs that will get you admission and visa with no hassles (even agents get their strategies from here).
How to contact professors that will be sure to give you FULL funding to cover your tuition and living expenses
How to get cheap loans if you do not get funding or scholarship.
How much you need as 'POF' (proof of funds) for your studies.
The strategies and little known tips to improve your visa approval the first time!
How to get your first job and accommodation in Canada.
How to transition from a student to a permanent resident.
How to stop feeling helpless and hopeless in your bid to relocate to Canada

Check my Siggy to get the guide
Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by Trajan(m): 9:08pm On Feb 22, 2022
pinkcottoncandy:
They will not allow him pass without a Nigerian passport or a slip to prove that he has applied and he is waiting for it to be delivered...

Very important....there is someone in standby to ask for Nigerian passport...

Pay any immigration officer express you can apply today and get it tomorrow...64 pages...

Thank you bro. Please, how do I reach you?
Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by justt: 9:14pm On Feb 22, 2022
There's no show off here. It's either you have never traveled out or you don't understand the question.

It's either the child has a Nigerian passport with the virgin UK passport or he has Nigerian visa on the UK passport, else there will problem.

He/she cannot just present virgin UK passport!

einsteine:
show off.

see the question this one is asking. Instead of you to say you want to let us know your child is a British citizen.

You are asking if he can go to the UK while having a British passport? Ask yourself if that question makes sense at all. Is it not a no-brainer? Must be a slow news day for the mods to put this nonsense on the front page.
Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by lugo99(m): 9:17pm On Feb 22, 2022
miladelly:

Ideally, when travelling to UK or any other western country you don't need to show your Nigeria passport WHEN you hold a Passport proving you are a nationality of that country.

He only needs his Nigeria Passport or Nigerian Visa inside his British Passport when he is coming to Nigeria.

Hmmmmm I will advise you quickly get his Nigeria passport for him before he leaves otherwise getting Nigerian Passport in UK can be daunting.

The way I have just explained to you is what is applicable to my children who holds Irish Passport.

if d guy for example has a child in Nigeria, can he get a Nigerian passport for his British kid and his 9ja kid also.. this question no relate to the story but relate to NY friend that his dad left him in 9ja. Cos his pop is coming down to Nigeria as he told me....
Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by Ishilove: 9:20pm On Feb 22, 2022
CoronaVirusPro:

He does not need a Nigerian passport

A Nigerian visa he will need when returning
Why do you need a visa to return to a country you are a citizen of?
Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by justt: 9:21pm On Feb 22, 2022
OP,
Your best option is to start the application for Nigerian passport as soon as possible. Most of the people saying the child is good to go, will put you in problem. Unfortunately, they will not be there when your child is having issues with immigration officer.

And if at all, it will be possible to grease arm, be prepared to spend more than the cost of the passport.

Trajan:
Hello Nlers,

Thanks all.
Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by Dijita: 9:22pm On Feb 22, 2022
perambulator:

Technically yes, but this is Nigeria, they may give him problems for not having an entry visa on his passport, then he then has to start to explain how he is possession of a Uk passport issued in London with no entry visa and you know how Nigerians are!! it's not illegal to post a passport but we are talking about Nigerian Immigration here.

Then again they may not give him problems because he is a kid. But technically speaking they have no reason to deny him, it is not illegal to post a passport. However they may say that since he is presenting a foreign passport (without a secondary Nigerian passport) he is presenting himself to immigration as a foreigner (which by the letter of the law is correct) and therefore should have a visa on his passport.
You are right.
I applied for Nigeria passport renewal in October and it was not ready for my December journey home. I got emergency travel certificate. When I got to Nigeria, it was collected on arrival. When I was returning they were asking for how I enter the country without Nigeria passport or visa. Even though they are the one that collected the travel certificate. I had to give them prove of Nigeria passport application before I could pass immigration after I have been passed from one desk to the other. If you don't have Nigeria passport and no visa on your international US or UK passport,be ready to bribe them or else they will just frustrate you.

1 Like

Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by Dijita: 9:25pm On Feb 22, 2022
Ishilove:

If you are holder of international passport with no visa. they are going to ask you how you enter the country with no visa. You have broken Nigeria law by entering without a visa. You are going to be detained and prosecuted for illegal entry. Nigeria is the only country I know you have to pass through immigration while leaving the country
Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by banku: 9:27pm On Feb 22, 2022
Some people can be ignorant like I was. We did not get a visa for my kids and they gave us a hard time when coming in until my 9 year old screamed that he is an African. This was years ago, though. Do not try it now.

Even the visa my wife got was a temporary one to be validated in Nigeria. When she was going out, she found out she should have gone to Immigration to validate her passport as a resident. So, deport me she said.

Do not try that today. Those officers are wicked.
Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by justt: 9:29pm On Feb 22, 2022
Are you sure you understand the question and are you also sure you are not contradicting yourself?

This child is already in Nigeria! How's he going to explain himself to immigration officer about how he got to Nigeria if he doesn't have legal document authorising to be here?

miladelly:

Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by JamesFromUlster: 9:32pm On Feb 22, 2022
I understand it's very important to be sure with an important matter like this, so there are no silly questions.

I'm from the UK myself, if she has a valid UK passport then it's no problem. If I was you however I would also apply for a Nigerian passport too, it's good to have both
Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by Trajan(m): 9:49pm On Feb 22, 2022
Tokziby:
Hello Trajan, if I may ask, how did u process ur son's uk passport from Nigeria? Are u or ur spouse a British citizen? If the answer is No, please I'm interested cos my son was born there and we have his red book.
Thanks.
I have British citizenship.
Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by CoronaVirusPro: 9:51pm On Feb 22, 2022
Ishilove:

He has no Nigerian passport. So he needs a visa on British passport

1 Like

Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by solla22: 10:03pm On Feb 22, 2022
This may not be true.
For you to depart a country. You need to show your status in that country.
At least i will speak of my experience returning to Nigeria From Canada.

My Status in Canada was not in my Nigerian Passport because i had a PR.
The Officer insisted i showed him my Canadian Status before i could board a plane going to Nigeria.

They could turn the trip to a deportation if you don't have valid (legal) residence documents

CowbellY:

Yes. As long as the passport is genuine. You only need a Nigerian passport if you’re coming back to Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by CowbellY: 10:06pm On Feb 22, 2022
solla22:
This may not be true.
For you to depart a country. You need to show your status in that country.
At least i will speak of my experience returning to Nigeria From Canada.

My Status in Canada was not in my Nigerian Passport because i had a PR.
The Officer insisted i showed him my Canadian Status before i could board a plane going to Nigeria.

They could turn the trip to a deportation if you don't have valid (legal) residence documents

Yes, true.
Re: Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? by MarketDispatch: 10:37pm On Feb 22, 2022
Why put the 7 year old kid through unnecessary hassles that can be avoided.

Get a Nigerian Passport for the kid. The kid will leave Nigeria with the Nigerian Passport and arrive UK with the Virgin British Passport. That is the right way to go.

The kid will have to prove how he/she entered Nigeria if Virgin British Passport is presented to Immigration.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Agodi Gardens! / Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller / Makurdi Hotel In October

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.