Stats: 3,151,464 members, 7,812,415 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:03 PM

Can You Marry A Man Who Lives In His Family House? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can You Marry A Man Who Lives In His Family House? (25670 Views)

'A Man Who Lives In This Kind Of Apartment Shouldn't Be Thinking Of Marriage' / Wife Of Ex-akwa Ibom Military Governor Evicts Step-children From Family House / 133-Year-Old Woman Who Lives On Top Of Olumo Rock (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can You Marry A Man Who Lives In His Family House? by Volksguys1985: 4:58pm On Feb 28, 2022
Op just leave your niece, by the time they turn her to house girl in that house she will dey alright.
Re: Can You Marry A Man Who Lives In His Family House? by Belafonte(m): 4:59pm On Feb 28, 2022
NeoWanZaeed:

She no go listen and may hate her aunty for that

Going against her aunt's counsel is her choice, but the aunt must counsel her and register her opinions and misgivings nonetheless.
Re: Can You Marry A Man Who Lives In His Family House? by ImaIma1(f): 5:02pm On Feb 28, 2022
Zonefree:
As a lady, before you answer NO, endeavour you're staying alone and your parents are not staying in a rented flat at their old age.

Thank you.

But after marriage, the man doesn't move in with the woman. Besides, don't you guys always speak against ladies who live on their own?

Re: Can You Marry A Man Who Lives In His Family House? by Belafonte(m): 5:02pm On Feb 28, 2022
Kobojunkie:
ROFLMAO
grin cheesy grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

So, you are not speaking of this here 21-year old, abi? make i rephrase my question small to help you then.. undecided

Why is 21 a very good time to marry when at that age what a majority of Nigerian women have to bring "to the table" is a vagina, as many have taking to stating? undecided

There's no need t rephrase your question to help me. I'd advise you to show my comment to someone that has a brain and ask them to explain it to you, though I doubt the possibility of that

21 is a good time to marry if the intending bride/groom can sustain there home financially. 21 year olds marry and have good marriages in this country all the time. Afterall, we can clearly see the 30 year old in this story cannot even afford accomodation like millions of Nigerians. Are we now going to move marriageable age to 43?

Re: Can You Marry A Man Who Lives In His Family House? by samuel051: 5:02pm On Feb 28, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Jesus Christ did rent an apartment while he was on earth. It is recorded in scripture that this happened. undecided

And I am lost as to why you chose to drag Jesus Christ into this to begin with. undecided
Because there are many mansions in his father's mansion.. person wey him mama dey sell food no dey die of hunger grin grin grin
Re: Can You Marry A Man Who Lives In His Family House? by NGArmyTerrorist: 5:06pm On Feb 28, 2022
So, if d guy doesn't have a house in d village and stays in his family house; the girl won't marry him "she should better stay in her father's house or bring out money to help the guy relocate." The same solution accrues to her even in the city; it is part of that love and aiming for higher levels and future.. Men that are finding things difficult won't go stealing to impress you, thereby owing landlord 5yrs house rent. It is not must!
Re: Can You Marry A Man Who Lives In His Family House? by Kobojunkie: 5:12pm On Feb 28, 2022
samuel051:
Because there are many mansions in his father's mansion.. person wey him mama dey sell food no dey die of hunger grin grin grin
Well , you are wrong about Jesus Christ. He did rent a place to live in after he left his hometown in the beginning of his last 3 years on earth. And again, I fail to see why you bring up his name here. undecided

Re: Can You Marry A Man Who Lives In His Family House? by ZooCountry45: 5:12pm On Feb 28, 2022
samuel051:
How old is Jesus,I still haven't heard he rented an apartment while on earth or over there in heaven while there are many rooms in his father's mansion.

Hahhahahaha. God bless you. I wish you are on Twitter then you have gained a fellower.
It's only when it comes to tithe, that they make proper use of the Bible to brainwash people.

Did Jesus live alone even in heaven
Re: Can You Marry A Man Who Lives In His Family House? by ImaIma1(f): 5:12pm On Feb 28, 2022
Mariangeles:

That culture is common among the Yoruba people and you know that.
Don’t make it seem as if it is unusual, or that there is something wrong with it.

If she says she’s ok with it, then she can cope with it.

Unfortunately, it is the op that she will run to when trouble starts. By then the blind love would have expired and her eyes will be open. It is then that she'll see what everyone has been telling her.

The problem is that at her age, most people fall hard in love and lose the ability to reason and think clearly. She needs the guidance from her uncle and mum.

A 30 year old man that is still living with his parents and wants to bring in a wife to a packed family house is a red flag.

Re: Can You Marry A Man Who Lives In His Family House? by Kobojunkie: 5:13pm On Feb 28, 2022
Belafonte:
There's no need t rephrase your question to help me. I'd advise you to show my comment to someone that has a brain and ask them to explain it to you, though I doubt the possibility of that

21 is a good time to marry if the intending bride/groom can sustain there home financially.
21 year olds marry and have good marriages in this country all the time. Afterall, we can clearly see the 30 year old in this story cannot even afford accomodation like millions of Nigerians. Are we now going to move marriageable age to 43?
Re: Can You Marry A Man Who Lives In His Family House? by Belafonte(m): 5:15pm On Feb 28, 2022
Re: Can You Marry A Man Who Lives In His Family House? by Emperordynasty: 5:18pm On Feb 28, 2022
BluntTheApostle:

First of all, this marriage issue came as a rude shock.

When she said she wanted to see me about something, I never expected it would be about marriage. I thought it was about her education or even a business because she once mentioned how people were making money in POS business.

And it appears like she is determined about this wedding stuff.

She is totally dependent on me and her mother. Her highest academic qualification is ND, with an HND in view.

Although, I did sponsor her to learn makeup when she said she wanted to learn it. But I doubt she has used it to make any money, or even wants to use it. Because she doesn't even talk about it.

As it is now, she doesn't want to hear anything else. Just wedding.

It is not even about the guy. But a lot more about her. She is too young. What life has she seen? And yet she wants to go and live in a place that is like barracks.

I know life is a teacher, but I fear she would learn the hard way. I don't want her to suffer.

Are u sure she is not already pregnant for him,
Because no one is that stupid that at that age they would want to get married to a 30 year old . without a stable job,
Who is in quote hustling ...which hustling is he doing now that he did not do in his 20s,.
Plus is very okay with living with his parents and marrying a woman into that kind of setting.

Abeg ask her if her desperation is because of pregnancy

Re: Can You Marry A Man Who Lives In His Family House? by Mariangeles(f): 5:20pm On Feb 28, 2022
ImaIma1:

Unfortunately, it is the op that she will run to when trouble starts. By then the blind love would have expired and her eyes will be open. It is then that she'll see what everyone has been telling her.

The problem is that at her age, most people fall hard in love and lose the ability to reason and think clearly. She needs the guidance from her uncle and mum.

A 30 year old man that is still living with his parents and wants to bring in a wife to a packed family house is a red flag.

Well, let’s just hope she’s not already pregnant.
Going by how adamant she is.
Re: Can You Marry A Man Who Lives In His Family House? by Exceed15: 5:22pm On Feb 28, 2022
Op , Your concerns are understandable .However try open her eyes to likely challenges she might face living in a family House. A lot comes with truth be told.

Is she prepared for all that? Having done that let her make her decision. When a young woman is in love becareful how you handle it so you don't become the enemy.
Re: Can You Marry A Man Who Lives In His Family House? by Jackipapa: 5:26pm On Feb 28, 2022
I Blame Buhari!
Re: Can You Marry A Man Who Lives In His Family House? by NoToPile: 5:28pm On Feb 28, 2022
No

It is still accepted if he is still living with his parents before the wedding but once plans for wedding are in place, one of the things in motion should be an apartment, even if it is room and parlor.

My cousin tired it, my mother shouted and shouted she ended up regretting it, she spent 10years.

Re: Can You Marry A Man Who Lives In His Family House? by Alldew: 5:34pm On Feb 28, 2022
My own is that since they want to get married let them fund it by themselves, ordinarily you would have promised to do this or that but since she wants to go against your wish and that of her mother's to marry at this her young age ignore totally.
And don't you think she must have told the guy about the fortune you just came across and the guy manipulated her to tell you to sponsor the wedding. I think you should let her know you stand FIRMLY against the wedding.
Re: Can You Marry A Man Who Lives In His Family House? by nzeobi(m): 5:39pm On Feb 28, 2022
BluntTheApostle:

First of all, this marriage issue came as a rude shock.

When she said she wanted to see me about something, I never expected it would be about marriage. I thought it was about her education or even a business because she once mentioned how people were making money in POS business.

And it appears like she is determined about this wedding stuff.

She is totally dependent on me and her mother. Her highest academic qualification is ND, with an HND in view.

Although, I did sponsor her to learn makeup when she said she wanted to learn it. But I doubt she has used it to make any money, or even wants to use it. Because she doesn't even talk about it.

As it is now, she doesn't want to hear anything else. Just wedding.

It is not even about the guy. But a lot more about her. She is too young. What life has she seen? And yet she wants to go and live in a place that is like barracks.

I know life is a teacher, but I fear she would learn the hard way. I don't want her to suffer.

Your fear is not really about the family house but about the guys readiness to carter for a family.

Try and visit the family house and see what it's like.
If it has flats/apartments where everyone can enter his own and mind their business then it's ok, if the boy is the only son of his parents and the parents want a daughter inlaw and are willing to support the young family then it's good too. But if it's any of the things above then don't support it.

Please don't fund the wedding, you can spray them money when they are dancing or give them a tangible wedding gift.
Re: Can You Marry A Man Who Lives In His Family House? by ImaIma1(f): 5:45pm On Feb 28, 2022
BluntTheApostle:
A few weeks back, my niece brought a man to me and introduced him as the one she wishes to marry.

Her father died while she was about 15, and I have been the one taking care of her, through school and all. So, she sees me as her father.

Alright, so she brought this young man to me. I have nothing against him. He is finishing up a master's degree, and even though he is not into anything really specific (he is a hustler sort of a person, combining different jobs), I do not have a problem with that. He appears focused, and really hardworking.

However, the problem is that he does not have a place of his own, and does not appear to have any plans in that direction.

So, last week, I asked him a whole lot of questions, and it appears like he would be marrying my baby, and she would live with him in their family house. Other families living there include the man's aged parents, some uncles and aunties, and their children. He was not specific whether aunties or uncles included blood relations and their spouses. I didn't press him on that.

Now, I have also sat my niece down, and had a chat with her. She is only 20+ (would be 21 in June). I tried to be as neutral as possible, but I may have been too blunt sometimes because she has been defensive, including accusing me of not wanting to fund the wedding.

Her mother reasons with me, but the girl has become deaf. She doesn't want to listen.

My point is that the wedding can be put on hold till the young man makes a firm decision on accommodation. All this: "I will consider it; I am considering it; it is a part of my plan" is not conclusive at all, and I don't want her to go and start her married life under the same roof with so many people.

The man is 30 (although he looks older to me), and I am beginning to feel that he is manipulating her.

What do you think?

Which of you has experienced living in your husband's family house? How was the experience?

For me, I think of it just like living in a polygamous family, and it makes me uneasy because this girl is too young, and too fragile.

Your opinions and experiences are highly welcome.

It may be all that I would need to reach a decision concerning this knotty issue.

What she needs is tough love. Allowing her go ahead with the wedding and even funding it is against better judgement. You can see what is waiting in front better than her because you are not blinded by love.

And let her understand that if she gets pregnant to force your hand, she will go on and live with the guy till they can save money for their wedding and apartment, with no more support from you.

Re: Can You Marry A Man Who Lives In His Family House? by FuckDModz: 5:45pm On Feb 28, 2022
samuel051:
How old is Jesus,I still haven't heard he rented an apartment while on earth or over there in heaven while there are many rooms in his father's mansion.

That's why he didn't get married. Mary Magdalene no too give am puna because of this very issue.

If you can't stand on your own, don't carry more load.
Re: Can You Marry A Man Who Lives In His Family House? by Solatium(m): 5:56pm On Feb 28, 2022
BluntTheApostle:
A few weeks back, my niece brought a man to me and introduced him as the one she wishes to marry.

Her father died while she was about 15, and I have been the one taking care of her, through school and all. So, she sees me as her father.

Alright, so she brought this young man to me. I have nothing against him. He is finishing up a master's degree, and even though he is not into anything really specific (he is a hustler sort of a person, combining different jobs), I do not have a problem with that. He appears focused, and really hardworking.

However, the problem is that he does not have a place of his own, and does not appear to have any plans in that direction.

So, last week, I asked him a whole lot of questions, and it appears like he would be marrying my baby, and she would live with him in their family house. Other families living there include the man's aged parents, some uncles and aunties, and their children. He was not specific whether aunties or uncles included blood relations and their spouses. I didn't press him on that.

Now, I have also sat my niece down, and had a chat with her. She is only 20+ (would be 21 in June). I tried to be as neutral as possible, but I may have been too blunt sometimes because she has been defensive, including accusing me of not wanting to fund the wedding.

Her mother reasons with me, but the girl has become deaf. She doesn't want to listen.

My point is that the wedding can be put on hold till the young man makes a firm decision on accommodation. All this: "I will consider it; I am considering it; it is a part of my plan" is not conclusive at all, and I don't want her to go and start her married life under the same roof with so many people.

The man is 30 (although he looks older to me), and I am beginning to feel that he is manipulating her.

What do you think?

Which of you has experienced living in your husband's family house? How was the experience?

For me, I think of it just like living in a polygamous family, and it makes me uneasy because this girl is too young, and too fragile.

Your opinions and experiences are highly welcome.

It may be all that I would need to reach a decision concerning this knotty issue.

Since you know the danger in living in family house while married,you can actually help them out by providing them with a small accomodation that will be easier for them to maintain on their own.
The problem with us in this part of the world is rather than put people's feet on the path of greatness we always prefer the Glitz and Glamour that comes with every owambe.
Re: Can You Marry A Man Who Lives In His Family House? by Kobojunkie: 5:59pm On Feb 28, 2022
Solatium:
Since you know the danger in living in family house while married, you can actually help them out by providing them with a small accomodation that will be easier for them to maintain on their own.
The problem with us in this part of the world is rather than put people's feet on the path of greatness we always prefer the Glitz and Glamour that comes with every owambe.
Huh? undecided

That suggestion amounts to foolishness no matter which continent you try to spin it from abeg. undecided

Re: Can You Marry A Man Who Lives In His Family House? by Omoluabi16(m): 6:13pm On Feb 28, 2022
Mariangeles:

If you are Yoruba, then I don’t think there’s a problem with that.
Haba. Why would you say this? I don't know neither have I seen or heard of any Yoruba family doing this.
Re: Can You Marry A Man Who Lives In His Family House? by BluntTheApostle(m): 6:15pm On Feb 28, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Why are you worried about funding the wedding though? Isn't that up to the man's side to do? undecided

I am to fund her own side of the wedding. For example, the funding of the formal introduction which will happen at my house, and the guests during the wedding reception.

But that is not even the problem. I have cooperatives to run to.
Re: Can You Marry A Man Who Lives In His Family House? by JoyousFurnitire(m): 6:22pm On Feb 28, 2022
Saintmary:

It might be common in the slums, not the rest of Yorubaland.

We build houses too, sometimes even before getting married in case you haven't seen anyone doing it.

This case is unusual, unacceptable, ridiculous and condemnable to most reasonable Yoruba people.

I was wondering where she got that from
Re: Can You Marry A Man Who Lives In His Family House? by Kobojunkie: 6:23pm On Feb 28, 2022
BluntTheApostle:
I am to fund her own side of the wedding. For example, the funding of the formal introduction which will happen at my house, and the guests during the wedding reception.

But that is not even the problem. I have cooperatives to run to.
Please do not fund this at all, not even via your cooperatives, particularly since you are against the whole idea. undecided

If she desperately wants to ahead and marry this man at this time, she can opt for registry wedding which will cost her and the man-boy a couple of bucks. undecided

Re: Can You Marry A Man Who Lives In His Family House? by Mariangeles(f): 6:29pm On Feb 28, 2022
Omoluabi16:
Haba. Why would you say this? I don't know neither have I seen or heard of any Yoruba family doing this.

Seriously, you’ve not?

Well, I was born in and have lived most of my life in the southwest, and that is what I’ve observed.

Re: Can You Marry A Man Who Lives In His Family House? by JoyousFurnitire(m): 6:35pm On Feb 28, 2022
DSC7:
First time wey iyaebe make sense grin grin
Re: Can You Marry A Man Who Lives In His Family House? by JoyousFurnitire(m): 6:36pm On Feb 28, 2022
Mariangeles:

Seriously, you’ve not?

Well, I was born in and have lived most of my life in the southwest, and that is what I’ve observed.

Anty abeg where did you grow up undecided
Re: Can You Marry A Man Who Lives In His Family House? by Sterope(f): 6:37pm On Feb 28, 2022
This is common with some families not all.
Omoluabi16:

Re: Can You Marry A Man Who Lives In His Family House? by Mariangeles(f): 6:39pm On Feb 28, 2022
JoyousFurnitire:

Anty abeg where did you grow up undecided

Hanty, eko lo bi mi si. grin
Re: Can You Marry A Man Who Lives In His Family House? by Mariangeles(f): 6:40pm On Feb 28, 2022
Sterope:
This is common with some families not all.

kiss

It’s not even a taboo, so I’m wondering why the fuss. cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Marriage Is Good For Your Health: Check These Facts / A 44 Year Old Father Of 5 Impregnates A Teenager In Delta / When Is One Ready To Get Married? A MUST-READ

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73