Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,027 members, 7,825,237 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 09:42 AM

Am I Not Making A Mistake? - Romance (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Am I Not Making A Mistake? (39741 Views)

Am I Not In A Toxic Relationship Like This? / Am I Making A Mistake? / I May Ruin My Girlfriend's Life, If I Make A Mistake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by emmykk(m): 12:33am On Mar 08, 2022
Drsnives:
Good morning nairaladers, pls pardon my errors.

I met this girl late last year, she's nice, godly and has most of the qualities i want in a wife. i love her, though her dad is late and her mum should be in her late thirties.

Yesterday we were chatting and she was like her dad didn't do the necessary rites on her mum and hence according to tradition i will have to pay her mum's bride price to her family before i will be allowed to start her own (my babe) marriage rites. I just weak cos have never heard of such. Where i won see the money for double bride price?

Pls nairaladers, have any of you come across such ridiculous tradition or she's making it up herself cos i feel like quiting the whole thing.
I just tire. Your opinions are welcomed

Modified: she's from obiaruku in ukuwani local government area of Delta State.

You are using us to catch cruise you are lying and even if it is true don't you have your brain
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by bilulu(m): 1:10am On Mar 08, 2022
Shalommy:
It's normal, the mother bride price must be paid before hers. As a man, if you don't pay your wife bride price and you can't collect your daughter's bride price.
then the girls father should be responsible enough to pay his wife's dowry. I bet he ran from that so his child's husband will do that for him. lazy delta men

1 Like

Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by litaninja(m): 1:19am On Mar 08, 2022
Her dad didn't do the so-called necessary rites as regards the mum and the world didn't end. This simply means the said "necessary rites" are actually NOT necessary. Simply don't do same rites and continue living life with her.
Nothing go happen. Na hungry dey worry the family.

Drsnives:

I met this girl late last year, she's nice, godly and has most of the qualities i want in a wife. i love her, though her dad is late and her mum should be in her late thirties.

Yesterday we were chatting and she was like her dad didn't do the necessary rites on her mum and hence according to tradition i will have to pay her mum's bride price to her family before i will be allowed to start her own (my babe) marriage rites. I just weak cos have never heard of such. Where i won see the money for double bride price?

Pls nairaladers, have any of you come across such ridiculous tradition or she's making it up herself cos i feel like quiting the whole thing.

1 Like

Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by 00FFT00(m): 1:42am On Mar 08, 2022
Zonefree:
Ask her, after paying her mum's bride price, will her mum be your wife?

The right of marital passage in African tradition is dowry (Bride Price). That will automatically make her mother your wife.
Old boy, if her mom's really that young ... grin grin grin
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by godofuck231: 2:02am On Mar 08, 2022
Drsnives:

I no fit foot that bill abeg, why me
lol na devil work

1 Like

Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by DEMAGE(m): 3:19am On Mar 08, 2022
It's a normal my brother. also if as a man and your mom is late and her bride price was not pay by your father. you will have to pay your late mom bride price. As for your girlfriend, she might be right

1 Like

Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by SaturnNick(m): 4:24am On Mar 08, 2022
Candidlady:
sad

Her mum is in her late 30s...

How old is the girl ? _______
15 years grin grin cheesy
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Enemyofpeace: 5:18am On Mar 08, 2022
Drsnives:

You no serious
I serious die!
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Obiorahpcfg: 5:19am On Mar 08, 2022
Shummmm no try am. Nonsense
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Major7: 5:27am On Mar 08, 2022
Zonefree:
Ask her, after paying her mum's bride price, will her mum be your wife?

This guy wicked o grin
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Major7: 5:32am On Mar 08, 2022
Candidlady:
sad

How old is the girl ? _______

Mathematically, she should be around 21 if her mum started early around 18years(mum is probably 39). wink
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Major7: 5:36am On Mar 08, 2022
Zonefree:

Where are you from?

Question, take a look at the answer grin
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by hermesprogidy(m): 6:45am On Mar 08, 2022
MILF loading ....... grin grin[center][/center][center][/center]
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Sotland: 6:57am On Mar 08, 2022
Such a thing happens where I come from but it is not held seriously. However, from where I hail, it is the girl's father that will do the needful and not the inlaw to me. But in a case where the father is dead, it can be waved completely.

Nevertheless, it is not a big deal as what is to be done is minimize to the lowest, just a token will be done if they are shifting it to the inlaw. Well, perhaps the girls father is very poor, else he is suppose to go and complete his traditional marriage rite.

There is another way round this. You can also do your introduction(iku aka) and pay the wife-to- be brideprice and also forgo the final traditional rite just like the girls father did. In the case, the girls family will accept unless they father is a callous being.

The choice is all yours.. Good luck bro.

Sign
Soty

Drsnives:

1 Like

Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by ShakurRapmonst: 7:03am On Mar 08, 2022
Drsnives:

. The girls mother should contact the late dads family..they should be the one to pay not you...you only pay for the girl you want to marry..if not walk away.
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Ryan03(f): 7:04am On Mar 08, 2022
McEphiks:

It is like that where I come from as well. Its nothing like double bride price... its just little things most times less than 10 percent of what you'd spend paying your wife to be bride's price

A daughter can't be married when the mom is not according to out tradition.

Modified: the bride price can be paid by anybody in the family either her brothers or her son if she have a grown son.
this one is a lie my dear. A very big lie, my mother is from obiaruko too, it is her father that is suppose to pay that dowry else he will not be allowed to collect his daughters dowry too. If he fails to pay, his daughters dowry will be paid to her mother's family. The father wants to use the groom to be to pay for his wife's Dowry, which kind wicked and cunning family be that

1 Like

Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Ryan03(f): 7:06am On Mar 08, 2022
Shalommy:
It's normal, the mother bride price must be paid before hers. As a man, if you don't pay your wife bride price and you can't collect your daughter's bride price.
exactly. It is her father that is suppose to go and pay his wife's bride price so that he can collect his daughters own else, his daughters bride price will be paid to her mother's family. He is trying to make the boy provide the funds for his own wife's bride price. See shameless father
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Albert0011(m): 7:23am On Mar 08, 2022
Drsnives:

Pls do n quote me
Bros i just called my mum this mum this morning and i explained everything to her.
She said it do happens in ukwuani tradition but u just have to pay certain amount of money like 20k 25k and thats all.
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by wirinet(m): 7:28am On Mar 08, 2022
deavicky:
see how ur mouth they sharp. If it is out of place they won't be asking for it.

It is out of place in a sane world to blackmail a prospective groom to pay bride price (marry) the mother of the bride, because the mother's lover (bride's father) was not responsible enough to marry the mother.

But then some cultures still belong to the Paleolithic age.
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by wirinet(m): 7:30am On Mar 08, 2022
Ryan03:
exactly. It is her father that is suppose to go and pay his wife's bride price so that he can collect his daughters own else, his daughters bride price will be paid to her mother's family. He is trying to make the boy provide the funds for his own wife's bride price. See shameless father
Thank you. And some people are trying to justify this shameless request.

2 Likes

Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Emperor88(m): 7:37am On Mar 08, 2022
McEphiks:

It is like that where I come from as well. Its nothing like double bride price... its just little things most times less than 10 percent of what you'd spend paying your wife to be bride's price

A daughter can't be married when the mom is not according to out tradition.

Modified: the bride price can be paid by anybody in the family either her brothers or her son if she have a grown son.

So If the wife marry without the mother being married what will happen?
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Emperor88(m): 7:38am On Mar 08, 2022
DEMAGE:
It's a normal my brother. also if as a man and your mom is late and her bride price was not pay by your father. you will have to pay your late mom bride price. As for your girlfriend, she might be right
What is normal there? Just as killing of twins was once normal?
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by wirinet(m): 7:39am On Mar 08, 2022
Drsnives:

Na my fear be that, since shes still young b4 them go say make i lash her join

My broder, dem wan scam you like dem scam Joseph. When him wan marry Rachel, dem trick am marry Leah, because for dem culture younger sister no dey marry before older sister. After dem trick you marry mama with the same excuse that daughter no dey marry before pikin, dem go then give you condition to marry daughter.

1 Like

Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Joydan95: 7:50am On Mar 08, 2022
Drsnives:

My dear run o. So they can’t tell her brothers to pay their mum’s bride price on behalf of their dad? Na total stranger wey no know wetin her papa do go come carry the cross...?
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Blesyn22(m): 7:54am On Mar 08, 2022
[quote author=Candidlady post=110821076] sad

How old is the girl ? _______[/quo

Fiction. The story does not add up
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Blesyn22(m): 7:59am On Mar 08, 2022
The late father's family could pay or if the woman has an elder son but I doubt it
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by deavicky(m): 8:04am On Mar 08, 2022
wirinet:

It is out of place in a sane world to blackmail a prospective groom to pay bride price (marry) the mother of the bride, because the mother's lover (bride's father) was not responsible enough to marry the mother.

But then some cultures still belong to the Paleolithic age.
why is this thing making you angry?. I have seen a similar case, but in my case the man was still alive so they said it's a taboo to take bride price on ur daughter while u haven't paid urs. Before the marriage the man had to pay his own wife bride price before he could take on his daughter.
If the guy here likes her enough he should go ahead and pay or leave the girl. But also don't forget he can also decide to house her without pay just as her father did.
I'm not from South or any where near there, but I feel they are trying to maintain some orderliness. It is an act of criminality to take bride price on ur daughter while u didn't pays urs.
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by MYKELDAYO(m): 8:06am On Mar 08, 2022
Drsnives:

The whole stuff is just looks funny to me.

The other option is for me to wait till someone else gets married and pays her mum's price, for how long i won wait
What if after u pay her mother's bride price,then in few months the lady refuse to marry u?or u see someone better u want?
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by personarum: 8:14am On Mar 08, 2022
its barbaric and repugnant to natural justice to say that a son-in-law should pay the mother-in-law's bride price. Where she has son(s), it is the place of the son(s) to arrange and redeem their father's indebtedness and not the son-in-law. This is a very bad culture encouraging deviance on the side of men from fulfilling their marital obligations presupposing their son-in-law(s) would pay it.
Where the late father-in-law doesn't have any daughter, who would pay the bride price?

1 Like

Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Drsnives(m): 8:44am On Mar 08, 2022
Albert0011:

Bros i just called my mum this mum this morning and i explained everything to her.
She said it do happens in ukwuani tradition but u just have to pay certain amount of money like 20k 25k and thats all.
Thanks sir
Is that payment not a trap?
For God sight it might be that am now legally married to the mum after paying that money
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Drsnives(m): 8:48am On Mar 08, 2022
emmykk:

You are using us to catch cruise you are lying and even if it is true don't you have your brain
The fact i stated her place should tell you something, why lie with such a sensitive matter.
I wanted to seek opinions before tabling it before my own family which am sure they won't agree
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by diogo23: 8:54am On Mar 08, 2022
Drsnives:

Where is she from? I have not heard such a thing before, if you pay for her mum pride price who will marry among them?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Is It Possible To Be In Love And Still Cheat On Your Spouse? / It Started With A Look / What Was The Worst Reply You Got From A Girl After You Asked Her Out?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.