Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,031 members, 7,825,251 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 10:05 AM

Am I Not Making A Mistake? - Romance (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Am I Not Making A Mistake? (39743 Views)

Am I Not In A Toxic Relationship Like This? / Am I Making A Mistake? / I May Ruin My Girlfriend's Life, If I Make A Mistake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by JaneYave(f): 8:14pm On Mar 07, 2022
kelechiodo:

That's normal thing. Op by tradition, the late Dad did not marry the mother and wouldn't have collected the dowry if he is alive. The bride price is paid to the mother's family. Thats the tradition.
Gbam. You Sabi am!

1 Like

Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by emaopel: 8:15pm On Mar 07, 2022
Drsnives:

The whole stuff is just looks funny to me.

The other option is for me to wait till someone else gets married and pays her mum's price, for how long i won wait
... It everywhere but not taboo because alot of tribes are doing there own under grace. The money is refundable if the mother get married as double bride price can't be collected by the family. Just ask the total cost and see if it affordable for you to do. It usually abomination for the woman to enjoy anything from you as inlaw when her own bride was not paid... but other tribes do take it as nothing or grace cover it but it has repercussion later... It is well my man
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by pashiano: 8:22pm On Mar 07, 2022
luminouz:

Didn't you read the last paragraph of what you quoted undecided
it was modified sir, wasn't there ab nitio.
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by prophetfire: 8:27pm On Mar 07, 2022
Drsnives:
Good morning nairaladers, pls pardon my errors.

I met this girl late last year, she's nice, godly and has most of the qualities i want in a wife. i love her, though her dad is late and her mum should be in her late thirties.

Yesterday we were chatting and she was like her dad didn't do the necessary rites on her mum and hence according to tradition i will have to pay her mum's bride price to her family before i will be allowed to start her own (my babe) marriage rites. I just weak cos have never heard of such. Where i won see the money for double bride price?

Pls nairaladers, have any of you come across such ridiculous tradition or she's making it up herself cos i feel like quiting the whole thing.
I just tire. Your opinions are welcomed

Modified: she's from obiaruku in ukuwani local government area of Delta State.
. You never enter, billing reloaded don start.

Man knack puna finish die go join his ancestors and they are telling you to pay for puna wey another man knack.

Egungun, na express you dey enter so.
If you love yourself, leave such disjointed family and pick race if you want to have rest in life.

1 Like

Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Verysmart101: 8:36pm On Mar 07, 2022
shantti:
I don't think u r the one to pay the bride price. The girls father has to pay his wife's bride price so he can be eligible to collect his daughter's bride price

Didn't u read that her father is late?
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Ashirioluwa: 8:36pm On Mar 07, 2022
Pay and marry both of them
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by seyz91(m): 8:37pm On Mar 07, 2022
cheesy

Funny!
Zonefree:
Ask her, after paying her mum's bride price, will her mum be your wife?
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Verysmart101: 8:39pm On Mar 07, 2022
McEphiks:

Stop overreacting. It's nothing serious as you're taking it.

It is a serious matter.You fail to realise that the same tradition would hunt him if he wanna do trad.The mother's trad must be done before her daughter's.U didnt remember that abiiii? He should look before u leap
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Verysmart101: 8:42pm On Mar 07, 2022
My man lemme advice you.Check very well before you enter one chance.Also remember that u will still do trad ceremony for her mum before u do for ur fiance cos her mum comes first.I believe d same applies to wedding (white but money will settle it).Ask questions very well about other aspects before you leap. I rest my case
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by deavicky(m): 8:42pm On Mar 07, 2022
Drsnives:

I met this girl late last year, she's nice, godly and has most of the qualities i want in a wife. i love her, though her dad is late and her mum should be in her late thirties.

Yesterday we were chatting and she was like her dad didn't do the necessary rites on her mum and hence according to tradition i will have to pay her mum's bride price to her family before i will be allowed to start her own (my babe) marriage rites. I just weak cos have never heard of such. Where i won see the money for double bride price?

Pls nairaladers, have any of you come across such ridiculous tradition or she's making it up herself cos i feel like quiting the whole thing.

I guess she is from the south south. It is not totally out of place. Try pay the money, it won't be much because they are aware u are not her husband. But if wish u can marry her without the consent of her parents.
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Dumeiby(f): 8:43pm On Mar 07, 2022
Candidlady:
sad

Her mum is in her late 30s...

How old is the girl ? _______
God bless your sense
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Formation10: 8:44pm On Mar 07, 2022
There is nothing like DAT in obiaruku she is just cooking it up my younger sister was born and brought up dere i can confirm from her
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by deavicky(m): 8:44pm On Mar 07, 2022
Verysmart101:

It is a serious matter.You fail to realise that the same tradition would hunt him if he wanna do trad.The mother's trad must be done before her daughter's.U didnt remember that abiiii? He should look before u leap
there will be no party it would just be the family people I bet u it won't cost up to 150k.
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by greggng: 8:45pm On Mar 07, 2022
Drsnives:

Is not everything we bring to the public. Somethings are better left within the family .if I were you , I will gladly do what she said if I discovered is truth and in line with the culture and tradition of their place . If you truly love her then that is a small sacrifice to make towards removing the Shame brought upon that family due to inability of her father to pay her mom's bride price. You must marry her properly if you truly love her . Dont listen to some naive and childish people here cos some of them are lahos brought up still in their parents house without knowledge of culture and tradition
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by babadee1(m): 8:48pm On Mar 07, 2022
Drsnives:

OP if you have the money pls pay it. If you don't have tell the family so. What they're basically asking you to do is to make a honest woman of the girl's mother and help cover her shame. It's a strange tradition but na so e dey be some times.
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by blackboy2star(m): 8:56pm On Mar 07, 2022
I see this as evil huh... Oga, you Dan see red flag now run run run

Drsnives:

Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by delpee(f): 9:00pm On Mar 07, 2022
Shalommy:
It's normal, the mother bride price must be paid before hers. As a man, if you don't pay your wife bride price and you can't collect your daughter's bride price.

I don't see why her father's responsibility should be transferred to her husband for whatever reason. Someone from her father's family should pay.

Anyway, cultures differ.
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by VenumX: 9:06pm On Mar 07, 2022
Obiaruku keh?
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Obyino: 9:06pm On Mar 07, 2022
Op the mama still de young ooo you sure say no be mother and daughter wey you wan go mary so..... shocked
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by saintneo(m): 9:08pm On Mar 07, 2022
Drsnives:

Chief do not carry a load that's not yours. Paying her mother's bride price has it's own implications, not just financially but traditionally and spiritually. Inform your family (Dad) and trustworthy elder (if Dad is late) about the situation.

If it implies that her maternal family will be the ones to collect her bride price, let be so.

A word is enough for the wise.
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by wirinet(m): 9:10pm On Mar 07, 2022
Drsnives:

Then any of her family members should do the needful and not disturb me, haba.
Let's assume i should pay, what's next after that? I go come dea lash her too ni?

Gbam. If you are to pay bride , then you as groom must do what bride and groom do.
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Bloggz74(m): 9:11pm On Mar 07, 2022
Yes the bride price has to be paid before that of her daughter commences.
That's the tradition.

However it's not you that has that responsibility but your father inlaw except you want to help out.

Zonefree:
Ask her, after paying her mum's bride price, will her mum be your wife?
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by wirinet(m): 9:15pm On Mar 07, 2022
delpee:

I don't see why her father's responsibility should be transferred to her husband for whatever reason. Someone from her father's family should pay.

Anyway, cultures differ.
Some cultures see anyone that want to marry their daughter as a host the whole family will parasite on.

Thats the most stupid thing I ever heard. A daughter's fiancee must carry out the responsibility of another irresponsible man who just hit and run.
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by wirinet(m): 9:18pm On Mar 07, 2022
Bloggz74:
Yes the bride price has to be paid before that of her daughter commences.
That's the tradition.

However it's not you that has that responsibility but your father inlaw except you want to help out.

Watin consign the guy with the bride price of his father in law, except he wants to help shine her congo also?

Very stupid tradition.
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by collinometricx: 9:21pm On Mar 07, 2022
Have witnessed this many times
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by izubext007: 9:21pm On Mar 07, 2022
If u go dey knack her , go ahead since she still young.....late thirties dey knack Wella.
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by meneski(m): 9:24pm On Mar 07, 2022
Guy man ask your self this question.
Daughter wan first mama marry.
Is that good oboy?
Besides the bride price no go reach as e supposed be
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by wirinet(m): 9:24pm On Mar 07, 2022
deavicky:
there will be no party it would just be the family people I bet u it won't cost up to 150k.
It's not about the money but the principle. Paying even N1 is morally wrong. So what happens if the mother wants to marry another man? They will have to return my bride price?

We must learn to start taking responsibility for our own decisions and actions. It's not the guy that asked the mother to have a child for a dead beat.
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by omoadeleye(m): 9:26pm On Mar 07, 2022
Zonefree:

Late 30s could be 38.
Say the girl is 20. Her mum gave birth to her at 18.

Why asking her age? Is 20 not old enough for marriage? Or giving birth at 18 is a sacrilege in your village?

It means you can be knacking both the mama and daughter, since you will be the one to pay their bride price.
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by CaptainFM1: 9:38pm On Mar 07, 2022
Drsnives:

There nothing ridiculous when it comes to tradition that's clearly laid out for you before you put your head into it.

Always have it in mind that you are not marrying the lady alone, but her entire family, culture, traditional, rites, beliefs et al.

Just get your headache and start taking the proper paracetamol.
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by chickenfoot: 9:42pm On Mar 07, 2022
Lol, shey the father got away scot free? You too suppose marry make your inlaw come clear your wife and her mama own na cheesy
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Coolgent(m): 9:46pm On Mar 07, 2022
Drsnives:

Then any of her family members should do the needful and not disturb me, haba.
Let's assume i should pay, what's next after that? I go come dea lash her too ni?

What's the total cost of the bride price? Judging by the fact that she is Mama.
Oga pay it shinenan! Abi mak i pay it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

It Started With A Look / What Was The Worst Reply You Got From A Girl After You Asked Her Out? / Man Carries His Beautiful Fiancee On His Shoulder In Lovely Pre-wedding Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.