Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,919 members, 7,824,860 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 07:30 PM

Am I Not Making A Mistake? - Romance (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Am I Not Making A Mistake? (39738 Views)

Am I Not In A Toxic Relationship Like This? / Am I Making A Mistake? / I May Ruin My Girlfriend's Life, If I Make A Mistake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by MJBOLT: 9:47pm On Mar 07, 2022
this op might just foolishly pay the bride price undecided
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Blackdisciple(m): 9:48pm On Mar 07, 2022
Rubbish
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by GreatDamife(m): 9:49pm On Mar 07, 2022
The op's mind is fixated already. Poor dude is blinded by love. This is all shades of annoyance haba! Marry that girl from such a shameless home and regret for the rest of your life. Rubbish!
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Cloud007: 9:51pm On Mar 07, 2022
Zonefree:

Where are you from?
I guessed she made that one up...lol
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by deavicky(m): 9:56pm On Mar 07, 2022
wirinet:

It's not about the money but the principle. Paying even N1 is morally wrong. So what happens if the mother wants to marry another man? They will have to return my bride price?

We must learn to start taking responsibility for our own decisions and actions. It's not the guy that asked the mother to have a child for a dead beat.
see how ur mouth they sharp. If it is out of place they won't be asking for it.
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by KevMitnick: 9:57pm On Mar 07, 2022
Don't do it, its a trap.
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by ThinkSmarter: 10:04pm On Mar 07, 2022
Drsnives:
Good morning nairaladers, pls pardon my errors.

I met this girl late last year, she's nice, godly and has most of the qualities i want in a wife. i love her, though her dad is late and her mum should be in her late thirties.

Yesterday we were chatting and she was like her dad didn't do the necessary rites on her mum and hence according to tradition i will have to pay her mum's bride price to her family before i will be allowed to start her own (my babe) marriage rites. I just weak cos have never heard of such. Where i won see the money for double bride price?

Pls nairaladers, have any of you come across such ridiculous tradition or she's making it up herself cos i feel like quiting the whole thing.
I just tire. Your opinions are welcomed

Modified: she's from obiaruku in ukuwani local government area of Delta State.
In Igbo culture.
If it happens that the marriage rites were not completed on a woman by her husband.
What usually happen is that if the womans daughter grows up and ready to get married.
The bride price on her head will be used to settle any remaining expenses in her mother's family.
The daughter's intending husband won't even Know.
It will be shameful to disclose to your in-laws that you have been marrying your wife on credit.
You are not supposed to pay double.
Except the lady wants to scam you.
Maybe you are showing too much interest in her.
And she want to cut cake for his family.
Tell her you can't afford it and watch her reaction.
Tell her you may give up and watch her reaction.
It's the responsibility of the husband or his son to complete the wife's bride price.
Lol I see the way you wrote Ukwuani
Seems you are not Igbo.
Dem think say they won't see you again.
So they want take style sell the lady to you (wholesale)
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Bloggz74(m): 10:06pm On Mar 07, 2022
Yes if the mother's bride price wasn't paid earlier it has to be sorted out before the daughter's.

However it is not your responsibility to do that but your father in law to be.

It is even an abomination for you to say you want to do rather it should be a behind the scene arrangement if you want to help.

But not your responsibility at all.

Drsnives:

I met this girl late last year, she's nice, godly and has most of the qualities i want in a wife. i love her, though her dad is late and her mum should be in her late thirties.

Yesterday we were chatting and she was like her dad didn't do the necessary rites on her mum and hence according to tradition i will have to pay her mum's bride price to her family before i will be allowed to start her own (my babe) marriage rites. I just weak cos have never heard of such. Where i won see the money for double bride price?

Pls nairaladers, have any of you come across such ridiculous tradition or she's making it up herself cos i feel like quiting the whole thing.

Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Jamesbiodun(m): 10:09pm On Mar 07, 2022
Op sha don marry iya arugbo grin
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by rickleye: 10:10pm On Mar 07, 2022
Drsnives:

Them don't see mumu ! Soon they will say you have to pay for the younger sister as well.
Just cut your loss and move on Bro ... the family no good.
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Kooldon(f): 10:12pm On Mar 07, 2022
Datboredberry kindly enlighten your community to do away with widowhood obnoxious practices. If you need guide, I hope you know how to contact me.
It is not the guy's responsibility to pay for her mother-in-law's dowry. I believe, someone will represent the dad on her TM, let her dad's family sort it out or you look somewhere else.
Dowry in Nigerian constitution is six naira grin grin

1 Like

Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by BLoomfrancs(m): 10:35pm On Mar 07, 2022
Marry the both of them grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by flokii: 10:42pm On Mar 07, 2022
@OP That's weird.. you should only pay the bride price of the woman you want to wed. From the look of things, you're getting daughter and the mom. Will you now put the two of them in the same house and be taking turns to sleep with them?

Think well o and seek for advice from those with knowledge.
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Drsnives(m): 10:52pm On Mar 07, 2022
Truvelisback:
How old is the girl if her mum is 30? Did she give birth to her at the age of 12?
Late 30s oga, read well b4 finding fault.
She gave birth at a tender age
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Drsnives(m): 10:54pm On Mar 07, 2022
iLiquidator:

Will she serve the same purpose as his wife in za oza rum??
Na my fear be that, since shes still young b4 them go say make i lash her join

1 Like

Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Sunrise258: 10:54pm On Mar 07, 2022
Generally, marriage/dowry pmt in SS & SE is bag of trouble for the groom. Imagine this madness. How on earth would a son in-law pay bride price of his mother in-law?!
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Drsnives(m): 10:56pm On Mar 07, 2022
mmsen:
If they are already causing you problems at this stage in the relationship how much worse do you think it will be as the years go by?

That's why am seeking you guys opinions, am in a tight corner
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Truvelisback(m): 10:58pm On Mar 07, 2022
Drsnives:
Late 30s oga, read well b4 finding fault. She gave birth at a tender age
Alright, marry one, get one free.
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Coolbadguy: 10:59pm On Mar 07, 2022
Drsnives:

Nothing as such in obiaruku, maybe she doesn't know the traditions well, ask her mother or find out from the elderly people there.
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Drsnives(m): 11:01pm On Mar 07, 2022
godofuck231:
You will become her husband , by tradition the mother of the girl will no longer have the shame of not being properly married , you will be part of them and they will regard you with respect , if you reside there you will be entitled to a chieftain title , its just a culture shock in ancient times in calabar men marry the mum and her age group and then the girls age group , it was too expensive and it was abolished
I no fit foot that bill abeg, why me
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Drsnives(m): 11:10pm On Mar 07, 2022
lecturer22:
The thing is, in Anioma tradition, a daughter cannot be married if brideprice is not properly paid on her mother. But the children are the ones expected to pay the brideprice and not the suitors. If she has brothers, she and her brothers should be the ones to pay the bride price. If she is an only child or the siblings are small and well to do, then she should pay it. I don't know about Obiaruku, but the ones I witnessed in the Ika area, the whole bride price is usually less than a hundred thousand for the money and drink including all the items. And this is for the first visit, second visit and third visit.

And it's the mother's family that are making this demand, not the father's.
I no even get 50k to waste self.. i tot the girl was taunting me now i know its real
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by suarezteeth(m): 11:12pm On Mar 07, 2022
In benue also... But it shouldn't be brought up now until you are done with yours
Drsnives:

Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Drsnives(m): 11:16pm On Mar 07, 2022
linearity:

I am from Delta but not the part the OP mentioned, we also have that tradition, but the pressure will be on the mom’s husband to complete the marriage rites of his wife, it is not passed on to the incoming husband of their kids.

This is actually a negative of the daughter, because no man will ask her hands in marriage until her mom bride price has been paid as a result many men will pass over them to other household. In fact in many cases, it is the mom that will go borrow money and give to the husband to do the needful so that, he does not keep holding down their daughter from getting married.

It is not the obligation of the new son Inlaw and he can’t be forced into doing it, but he can contribute or bounce, by the time two or three good suitors bounce like that, their eyes go clear and they will run and go do the needful.
Her dad is late
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Drsnives(m): 11:19pm On Mar 07, 2022
Enemyofpeace:
Lucky you! That would automatically make you a chair holder to her mother’s pussy. Chei some guys are fokn lucky
You no serious
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Drsnives(m): 11:20pm On Mar 07, 2022
Neroiam:

I'm Deltan. Na job dem wan job u so

It may not be the girl's intention tho. She's probably a pawn in the game.

Remember what happened to Jacob in Gen. 29. Laban had to marry the older sister,Leah first because of thier tradition and had to work extra 7years for Rachel.

In my own opinion, paying her mother's bride price means you're marrying them both.

The people who I think should pay the mother's pride price are the Late Husband's kinsmen.
You have a point, I'll stick to that when next i meet her
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Icepresh(m): 11:35pm On Mar 07, 2022
Run oh

1 Like

Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Drsnives(m): 11:37pm On Mar 07, 2022
LesbianBoy:
I want to believe some of the stories are cooked because what the fvck

grin grin grin grin grin
Real matters bro.
Am lost
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Drsnives(m): 11:40pm On Mar 07, 2022
kaymart:

From this particular response of its....Ur story seems more like just takes of mere fabrications...
That's was what some of the comments suggested i don't have any other options than to stick with that
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Drsnives(m): 11:44pm On Mar 07, 2022
Albert0011:

Bros am from the same local government with ur girl..but i have never heard of that kind of tradition in ukwuani land.
I think i will call my mum or grand ma on ur behalf so that i will ask them.
Pls do n quote me
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Aaaoo: 11:48pm On Mar 07, 2022
Hmmm
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Drsnives(m): 11:50pm On Mar 07, 2022
ginggerxy:
which part of Delta is that? If its Igbo part of Delta then I think your girls family is trying to play smart on you in other to avoid being embarassed from her mother's family. Why I said that is because if a man doesn't complete the marriage rites of his wife and the woman gives birth to a girl , during her own traditional marriage , the mother's family has every right to seize what ever is left undone on her mother and it's embarassing . So I think that's what the girl is trying to avoid.
Yes from the igbo speaking tribe
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Wealthoptulent(m): 12:04am On Mar 08, 2022
SNEFF:
70 yrs old man
cheesy
Ontoh! A mumu guy

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Is It Possible To Be In Love And Still Cheat On Your Spouse? / It Started With A Look / What Was The Worst Reply You Got From A Girl After You Asked Her Out?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.