Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,570 members, 7,820,052 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:05 AM

What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? (4208 Views)

Lady 'Tackles' Other Ladies That Say They Cant Date Broke Men (Video) / I SLEPT With My Cousin Brother Now I Feel Terrible / Don't Have Sex With People You Meet Online. Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by alphaNomega: 4:51pm On Mar 11, 2022
I am posting here because it is used a lot in this section (including Family section) and I'm tempted to blame the poor quality of education in Nigeria. We have the internet today and the people who use this "abomination" every time have access to the right information?

It is double shame when the moderators move the topics to front-page and still including "cousin sister/brother" in the title. Scroll through front-page history to see what I'm talking about. I won't make any screenshots.

Maybe that's what English teachers are telling these kids in school these days. Who knows?

If I happen to be an examiner and my candidate makes this blunder, I will stop the exam immediately and correct them before the exam resumes.

For the "English is not our mother tongue" army, it is better you write everything you want to say in your mother tongue, than speak foul language and call it English.

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by Penguin2: 4:53pm On Mar 11, 2022
alphaNomega:
I am tempted to blame the poor quality of education in Nigeria, but we have the internet today and the people who use this "abomination" every time have access to the right information?

Maybe that's what English teachers are telling these kids in school these days. Who knows?

If I happen to be an examiner and my candidate makes this blunder, I will stop the exam immediately and correct them before the exam resumes.

For the "English is not our mother tongue" army, it is better you write everything you want to say in your mother tongue, than speak foul language and call it English.

Mr grammarian…

First of, your English is poorly constructed for someone who wants to lend his voice to how Nigerians should speak English properly.

Second, the word ‘cousin’ is neither masculine nor feminine and there are no articles that make them so.

So, Nigerians who add ‘sis’ and ‘bro’ after cousin are actually helping you understand better with absolute clarity.

Another of your problem is that you seem to be a structuralist and not a deconstructionist who would think beyond what he was taught and make his own additions to subjects and concepts and theories.

The English language is not a dead language; it keeps evolving.

Same with every discipline of scholarship.

The syntaxes and semantics of the English lexicon are not cast in stone. They keep dropping and picking up new stuff.

Who says ‘cousin sister’ and ‘cousin brother’ will not one day be added as proper English expression?

If everyone reasoned like you, Scientists would still believe Atom is the smallest indissoluble and indestructible particle.

We would still hold on to the theory that the world is flat.

Or that the sun rotates round the earth.

These are previously held concepts and theories that have been proven false through the instrumentality of those who dared to think different.

Dare to think different!

59 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by alphaNomega: 4:54pm On Mar 11, 2022
Penguin2:

Mr Penguin, I updated my first post
Re: What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by Godada(m): 4:56pm On Mar 11, 2022

You are on point on this.

This is just tautology.

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by ValCon888: 4:57pm On Mar 11, 2022
I'm even tired of seeing this blunder on this forum. Your cousin's brother or sister is also your cousin. The sky will not fall if you simply say "my cousin."

But dem no go gree hear word.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by thorpido(m): 4:59pm On Mar 11, 2022
I won't lie,I have been irritated whenever I see the cousin brother or cousin sister.
Simply say my male cousin or female cousin.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by Penguin2: 5:15pm On Mar 11, 2022
alphaNomega:
Mr Penguin, I updated my first post

Like you know I wanted to tackle you
Re: What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by Blunttruth: 5:26pm On Mar 11, 2022
alphaNomega:
I am posting here because it is used a lot in this section (including Family section) and I'm tempted to blame the poor quality of education in Nigeria. We have the internet today and the people who use this "abomination" every time have access to the right information?

It is double shame when the moderators move the topics to front-page and still including "cousin sister/brother" in the title. Scroll through front-page history to see what I'm talking about. I won't make any screenshots.

It irritates the hell out of me. The only words used to qualify cousin is 'distant, first or second ... . It's really embarrassing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by Blunttruth: 5:27pm On Mar 11, 2022
thorpido:
I won't lie,I have been irritated whenever I see the cousin brother or cousin sister.
There's no need sef, once they start using pronouns we will know the sex.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by Sageez(m): 5:34pm On Mar 11, 2022
Penguin2:

Mr grammarian…

First of, your English is poorly constructed for someone who wants to lend his voice to how Nigerians should speak English properly.

Second, the word ‘cousin’ is neither masculine nor feminine and there are no articles that make them so.

So, Nigerians who add ‘sis’ and ‘bro’ after cousin are actually helping you understand better with absolute clarity.

Another of your problem is that you seem to be a structuralist and not a diconstructionist who would think beyond what he was thought and make his own additions to subjects and concepts and theories.

The syntaxes and semantics of the English lexicon are not cast in stone. They keep dropping and picking up new stuff.

Who says ‘cousin sister’ and ‘cousin brother’ will not one day be added as proper English expression?

If everyone reasoned like you, Scientists would still believe Atom is the smallest indissoluble and indestructible particle.

Or that the sun rotates round the sun.

These are previously held concepts and theories that have been proven false through the instrumentality of those who dared to think different.

Dare to think different!
@ the bolded. 1. Does adding sister and brother after the make it correct? Many people now add that word unknowingly thinking it is correct. My English ain't that good but I am making every effort to making myself better. Cousin brother or sister is wrong and should be discouraged.

2. English is evolving, I agree but until there is a law backing "one way driving" it remains illegal.

10 Likes

Re: What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by Bahamas95(m): 6:03pm On Mar 11, 2022
Abeg let me come and be going, I cannot come and go and kill myself because of English.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by Penguin2: 6:11pm On Mar 11, 2022
Sageez:

@ the bolded. 1. Does adding sister and brother after the make it correct? Many people now add that word unknowingly thinking it is correct. My English ain't that good but I am making every effort to making myself better. Cousin brother or sister is wrong and should be discouraged.

2. English is evolving, I agree but until there is a law backing "one way driving" it remains illegal.

A lot of what is accepted as correct expression in English language today were once considered wrong until they became popular enough that Oxford had to accept it as a correct English expression.

Or why do you think Oxford keeps publishing new editions of the Oxford Dictionary? It is to accommodate expressions and words that were now too popular to be ignored.

That’s why sometimes you will see the dictionary differentiate some expressions that are only popular in either Australia, New Zealand or America.

Who said Oxford can’t accept what has now become popular in Nigeria?

If anything, words like Yam, Okro, etc, all made their way into the Oxford Dictionary due to their popular usage in Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by alphaNomega: 7:54pm On Mar 11, 2022
Penguin2:

A lot of what is accepted as correct expression in English language today were once considered wrong until they became popular enough that Oxford had to accept it as a correct English expression.

Or why do you think Oxford keeps publishing new editions of the Oxford Dictionary? It is to accommodate expressions and words that were now too popular to be ignored.

That’s why sometimes you will see the dictionary differentiate some expressions that are only popular in either Australia, New Zealand or America.

Who said Oxford can’t accept what has now become popular in Nigeria?

If anything, words like Yam, Okro, etc, all made their way into the Oxford Dictionary due to their popular usage in Nigeria.

Yes, new words are added to English language from time to time, not abominable phrases like "cousin brother" "cousin sister". It sounds terrible.

3 Likes

Re: What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by siofra(f): 8:11pm On Mar 11, 2022
I absolutely hate that stuff. Why can't you just say cousin and stop stressing.

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by Penguin2: 8:12pm On Mar 11, 2022
alphaNomega:

Yes, new words are added to English language from time to time, not abominable phrases like "cousin brother" "cousin sister". It sounds terrible.

They are abominable because it’s Nigerians that are using it…

I bet you wouldn’t call it abomination if it were Americans using the expression

3 Likes

Re: What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by southernbelle(f): 8:24pm On Mar 11, 2022
Using ‘male cousin’ or ‘female cousin’ sounds better - if you have to be specific.

6 Likes

Re: What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by Loveknitting: 8:29pm On Mar 11, 2022
ValCon888:
I'm even tired of seeing this blunder on this forum. Your cousin's brother or sister is also your cousin. The sky will not fall if you simply say "my cousin."

But dem no go gree hear word.

How would you know if the cousin is a girl or a boy,

I don't see anything wrong with using the word cousin brother or cousin sister.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by alphaNomega: 8:32pm On Mar 11, 2022
Penguin2:

They are abominable because it’s Nigerians that are using it…

I bet you wouldn’t call it abomination if it were Americans using the expression

Let's not go into the rubbish Americans speak, even Indians have their own...this thread was not created for that discourse.

Loveknitting:

How would you know if the cousin is a girl or a boy,

I don't see anything wrong with using the word cousin brother or cousin sister.

Please call your English teacher now and ask this question. Give us a feedback. It is absolutely wrong.

southernbelle:
Using ‘male cousin’ or ‘female cousin’ sounds better - if you have to be specific.
No need for all of that, when the writer starts using pronouns you will know the cousin's gender.
Re: What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by jogsman01(m): 8:35pm On Mar 11, 2022
This one na gbas gbos for the OP.... Me that don't kuku know nothing
Penguin2:

Mr grammarian…

Another of your problem is that you seem to be a structuralist and not a diconstructionist who would think beyond what he was thought and make his own additions to subjects and concepts and theories.

Dare to think different!

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by alphaNomega: 8:40pm On Mar 11, 2022
jogsman01:
This one na gbas gbos for the OP.... Me that don't kuku know nothing
Just know that writing or saying "cousin sister" / "cousin brother" is wrong. Instead use "cousin" and as you go on, your readers/listeners will know the gender when you start using pronouns.

Thanks for taking your time to read this.

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by jogsman01(m): 8:49pm On Mar 11, 2022
alphaNomega:
Just know that writing or saying "cousin sister" / "cousin brother" is wrong. Instead use "cousin" and as you go on, your readers/listeners will know the gender when you start using pronouns.

Thanks for taking your time to read this.
I no sabi English and I'm neither trying to be rude, but I know there's a huge difference between language and communication. As long as you can understand the message being passed, forget the grammar. No be exam we dey do here now. If it irritates you seeing those 'cousin brother/sister' post, close one eye and go to the next post.

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by Lordedifice1: 9:15pm On Mar 11, 2022
Penguin2:

Mr grammarian…

Dare to think different!

Cousin sister cousin brother is totally wrong

There's nothing like that

The learned don't use such words
In as much you want us to know the gender lf the person,but it is still wrong to say cousin brothers cousin sisters. Ask any English teacher they'll tell you
Re: What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by Penguin2: 9:28pm On Mar 11, 2022
Lordedifice1:

Cousin sister cousin brother is totally wrong

There's nothing like that

The learned don't use such words
In as much you want us to know the gender lf the person,but it is still wrong to say cousin brothers cousin sisters. Ask any English teacher they'll tell you

It is wrong because you didn’t grow up hearing it, right?

If while you were growing up you were used to hearing it, would you still consider it wrong? I guess no.

I need to disabuse your mind to dare to think differently. Dare to redefine concepts. Don’t cling to what you were given or told.

As of today, “cousin brother or cousin sister” is wrong in formal English but not wrong colloquially.

And it might not be long before it finds its way into formal English grammar.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by Vinnie2000(m): 9:47pm On Mar 11, 2022
OP, Stop complaining. Pple normally use it when d Cousin is very close to them and they grew up 2geda from childhood!
Re: What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by alphaNomega: 10:01pm On Mar 11, 2022
jogsman01:
I no sabi English and I'm neither trying to be rude, but I know there's a huge difference between language and communication. As long as you can understand the message being passed, forget the grammar. No be exam we dey do here now. If it irritates you seeing those 'cousin brother/sister' post, close one eye and go to the next post.

The message is being passed in a wrong way. Even though I understand it, what about the kids that came here to a learn?

They start learning the wrong way to pass their message and after writing TOEFL and IELTS multiple times, they will create threads on Twitter calling those exams a scam.

Vinnie2000:
OP, Stop complaining. Pple normally use it when d Cousin is very close to them and they grew up 2geda from childhood!
YOU SEE ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF SOMEONE THAT THINKS IT IS NORMAL TO USE "cousin sister/ cousin brother". The damage to our education is very bad.

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by meobizy(f): 7:47am On Mar 12, 2022
I have a cousin brother, cousin sister, cousin man, cousin woman, cousin uncle and cousin aunt. I live in a cousin city within a cousin country which is ruled by a cousin government.

OP, if you no know, na you sabi.
Re: What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by luizpippo(m): 8:48am On Mar 12, 2022
thorpido:

Better person

Re: What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by diogo23: 8:50am On Mar 12, 2022
alphaNomega:

After talking nonsense you didn't give us correct English
Re: What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by diogo23: 8:53am On Mar 12, 2022
Penguin2:

Mr grammarian…

Dare to think different!
GOD bless you
Re: What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by Penguin2: 9:06am On Mar 12, 2022
diogo23:

GOD bless you

Lalasticlala
Re: What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by alphaNomega: 5:24pm On Mar 12, 2022
diogo23:

After talking nonsense you didn't give us correct English

So you're telling me you read this thread and did not see where I wrote the correct thing to write/say?
Re: What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by Sageez(m): 9:49pm On Mar 12, 2022
alphaNomega:

So you're telling me you read this thread and did not see where I wrote the correct thing to write/say?
Just let him be

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Madness Displayed By Some Girls / "Guard Your Husbands Well Else, We Steal Them" - Secondary School Girls Warn.... / Help Me Please B4 I Loose D One I Love

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.