Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,801 members, 7,956,052 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 10:38 PM

What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? - Romance (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? (4627 Views)

My Cousin Sister Always Masturbate In Our Homme / Lady 'Tackles' Other Ladies That Say They Cant Date Broke Men (Video) / Don't Have Sex With People You Meet Online. Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by bukatyne(f): 9:09pm On May 10, 2022
placeofallure:

Really it is abominable.

Cousin brother sounds like you intended to say "my cousin's brother" who technically is still your cousin, you then arrive again to where you took off from.

Hahahahahaha!

Sit tight for 'my sister's sister's, 'my mother's son', 'my child's brother'.
Re: What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by Nobody: 12:02am On May 11, 2022
Absorption of these terminology in any modern dictionary, I believe is due to popular usage; which someone earlier said.

Yes it is wrong but don't rule out that in the nearest future it could find its way into English dictionary.

PS: French still remains the best language. You know the feminine and masculine via usage.

* Online dictionary/ies most times includes some popular Nigeria words into it. Don't forget also that most words usage are now obsolete.
Re: What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by samuelson06(m): 12:15am On May 11, 2022
Penguin2:

Mr grammarian…

First of, your English is poorly constructed for someone who wants to lend his voice to how Nigerians should speak English properly.

Second, the word ‘cousin’ is neither masculine nor feminine and there are no articles that make them so.

So, Nigerians who add ‘sis’ and ‘bro’ after cousin are actually helping you understand better with absolute clarity.

Another of your problem is that you seem to be a structuralist and not a deconstructionist who would think beyond what he was taught and make his own additions to subjects and concepts and theories.

The English language is not a dead language; it keeps evolving.

Same with every discipline of scholarship.

The syntaxes and semantics of the English lexicon are not cast in stone. They keep dropping and picking up new stuff.

Who says ‘cousin sister’ and ‘cousin brother’ will not one day be added as proper English expression?

If everyone reasoned like you, Scientists would still believe Atom is the smallest indissoluble and indestructible particle.

We would still hold on to the theory that the world is flat.

Or that the sun rotates round the earth.

These are previously held concepts and theories that have been proven false through the instrumentality of those who dared to think different.

Dare to think different!

Feel like a boss. Roast him. But hear me: that useless cousin brother or sister crap would never be added to the English dictionary. To hell with you!

What's cousin brother or sister? Who's the cousin and who's the brother or sister?
Re: What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by samuelson06(m): 12:18am On May 11, 2022
inspirator1:
Absorption of these terminology in any modern dictionary, I believe is due to popular usage; which someone earlier said.

Yes it is wrong but don't rule out that in the nearest future it could find its way into English dictionary.

PS: French still remains the best language. You know the feminine and masculine via usage.

* Online dictionary/ies most times includes some popular Nigeria words into it. Don't forget also that most words usage are now obsolete.

Nay! That sh!t is only common in one noisy region of Nigeria.
Re: What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by imagrg(m): 2:10am On May 11, 2022
My male or female cousin would have sounded better, methinks. cool
Re: What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by ImaIma1(f): 6:11am On May 11, 2022
Penguin2:

Mr grammarian…

First of, your English is poorly constructed for someone who wants to lend his voice to how Nigerians should speak English properly.

Second, the word ‘cousin’ is neither masculine nor feminine and there are no articles that make them so.

So, Nigerians who add ‘sis’ and ‘bro’ after cousin are actually helping you understand better with absolute clarity.

Another of your problem is that you seem to be a structuralist and not a deconstructionist who would think beyond what he was taught and make his own additions to subjects and concepts and theories.

The syntaxes and semantics of the English lexicon are not cast in stone. They keep dropping and picking up new stuff.

Who says ‘cousin sister’ and ‘cousin brother’ will not one day be added as proper English expression?

If everyone reasoned like you, Scientists would still believe Atom is the smallest indissoluble and indestructible particle.

These are previously held concepts and theories that have been proven false through the instrumentality of those who dared to think different.

Dare to think different!

It is still wrong. We have been using just "cousin" for decades without the confusion of gender. The gender is usually revealed as they go on.

If you studied language as I perceive, you should kick against it. It is just another "Nigerian English" like calling every seasoning "maggi" and every noodles "indomie". It is not standard English.

English is not redundant does not mean we should start speaking rubbish with the hope that it will be added to the vocabulary.

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by ImaIma1(f): 6:32am On May 11, 2022
Sageez:
To those justifying the use of such words, just know that what is wrong is not right except it is universally accepted to be. Cousin brother/sister is wrong and it is wrong in every sense.

I grew up knowing "cousin", how on Earth the word "brother/sister" found its way to pair with cousin still baffles me.

I can still remember the first time I heard someone use the world, I thought he did it unintentional but he repeated it again, again and again. When I couldn't take it anymore, I tried correcting this guy but I discovered he had a fix mindset; he believed what he knows can never be wrong. At that point, I had to leave him to his foolly.

It's a very wrong and irritating way to speak. And some people are trying to justify it because they fall under the category of those who use it.

I trust my English lecturers, they will just mark that person down if he/she writes that nonsense. That's why people fail the simplest English courses because they refuse to unlearn rubbish.

I have a cousin that is more like an aunty because she's like 20yrs older. The "cousin sister" people will call her cousin aunty cheesy

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by LongBig(m): 6:39am On May 11, 2022
Penguin2:

Mr grammarian…

Dare to think different!

Chai u really nailed that dude grin
Re: What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by ImaIma1(f): 6:43am On May 11, 2022
placeofallure:

Don't blame the teacher! Every time the team loses a match, you think the coach isn't good?

Now, those people you talk about are simply crazy. One idiot will start something and before you say "Jack!" It has become a norm.

There are 4 types of Gender - Masculine, Feminine, Common and Neuter.

The word 'cousin' belongs to the commongender. These are words of either sex (male or female) E.g. friend, neighbour, guest, teacher, colleague, speaker, child etc.

You don't need to modify the word 'cousin' with brother or sister, and if you must, my male cousin or female cousin is more appropriate.

Since we are trying to help the grammar according to Penguin2, we can say neighbour-woman, colleague-Male, friend-brother. And soon, they will all be added to the dictionary. wink

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by Sageez(m): 6:48am On May 11, 2022
ImaIma1:

It's a very wrong and irritating way to speak. And some people are trying to justify it because they fall under the category of those who use it.

I trust my English lecturers, they will just mark that person down if he/she writes that nonsense. That's why people fail the simplest English courses because they refuse to unlearn rubbish.

I have a cousin that is more like an aunty because she's like 20yrs older. The "cousin sister" people will call her cousin aunty cheesy
lol at the bolded
Re: What Is Wrong With People That Say "Cousin Brother" "Cousin Sister"? by placeofallure(f): 8:24am On May 11, 2022
ImaIma1:

Since we are trying to help the grammar according to Penguin2, we can say neighbour-woman, colleague-Male, friend-brother. And soon, they will all be added to the dictionary. wink

grin grin
Don't kill me please. O saaro!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Imagine Walking In Here When You Are High...(photo) / My Fiancé Said I Should Open A Shop For Her / Feeling Too Young & Cheating All Day-Ninalowo Bolanle Marriage Crash Confession

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.