Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,523 members, 7,958,597 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 06:24 PM

Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic (10695 Views)

Kenny Kehinde's Girlfriend, Precious Chisom Accuses Him Of Domestic Violence / Pastor Michale Matthew: "I Dumped My Marriage Over Domestic Violence" / Today's Experience Changed My View On Domestic Violence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by Kobojunkie: 2:10pm On Mar 17, 2022
Benee1000:
What hogwash too!
No one is under any obligation to do anything really. Everyone has a choice.

Then why do standards exist?
Women desire to and are doing something about the situation. Those of us whose mothers experienced such abuse and found it deplorable also want to do something so it will not happen to our children. undecided

You are free to fold your hands if you want to, but try to move out of the way so those who change matters to can waka pass you! undecided
Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by Benee1000(m): 3:13pm On Mar 17, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Women desire to and are doing something about the situation. Those of us whose mothers experienced such abuse and found it deplorable also want to do something so it will not happen to our children. undecided

You are free to fold your hands if you want to, but try to move out of the way so those who change matters to can waka pass you! undecided

Your first sentence is True, but then why the focus on only men as problem in any abusive relationship?
Why the neglect on the issue of verbal and emotional abuse particularly against men.

It takes two to tango remember?

A lot of women provoke men to anger through verbal abuse especially when the man is financially handicapped. Yet there's no awareness for women to stop this behavior. The only awareness is about the man's expression of anger through physical means, which is also wrong.

Those of us whose fathers experienced such abuse and found it deplorable also want to do something so it will not happen to our children.

If women want to curb the issue of abuse in relationships, then awareness should be made on every party involved.
Focusing on only one party isn't going to solve anything because most abusive relationships are cyclic, with one party the instigator and the other the reactor.

I won't fold my hands and watch women vilify only men as the abusers in any relationship in the name of curbing domestic abuse.

Women should be taught to take responsibility for their actions in relationships too.

Both men and women have a role to play.
The approach should be holistic rather than sentimental.
Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by Kobojunkie: 3:18pm On Mar 17, 2022
Benee1000:
Your first sentence is True, but then why the focus on only men as problem in any abusive relationship?
Why the neglect on the issue of verbal and emotional abuse particularly against men.

It takes two to tango remember?

A lot of women provoke men to anger through verbal abuse especially when the man is financially handicapped. Yet there's no awareness for women to stop this behavior. The only awareness is about the man's expression of anger through physical means, which is also wrong.....
Not I see where your problem is.... you are not even arguing here against domestic violence but instead attempting to justify one aspect of domestic violence by suggesting it was likely provoked.... undecided

Anyways, like I already stated, Women desire to and are doing something about the situation. Those of us whose mothers experienced such abuse and found it deplorable also want to do something so it will not happen to our children. undecided

3 Likes

Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by Benee1000(m): 3:52pm On Mar 17, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Not I see where your problem is.... you are not even arguing here against domestic violence but instead attempting to justify one aspect of domestic violence by suggesting it was likely provoked.... undecided

Anyways, like I already stated, Women desire to and are doing something about the situation. Those of us whose mothers experienced such abuse and found it deplorable also want to do something so it will not happen to our children. undecided

You very know my argument is against domestic violence but you're trying to shift the goal post. You ignored the part where I said reaction through physical violence is wrong.

There's no justification for domestic violence in any form, be it physical or verbal abuse.

Let the awareness against domestic violence face all parties involved.
Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by Kobojunkie: 3:53pm On Mar 17, 2022
Benee1000:
You very know my argument is against domestic violence but you're trying to shift the goal post. You ignored the part where I said reaction through violence is wrong.

There's no justification for domestic violence in any form, be it physical or verbal abuse.

Let the awareness against domestic violence face all parties involved.
Again...Now I see where your problem is.... you are not even arguing here against domestic violence but instead attempting to justify one aspect of domestic violence by suggesting it was likely provoked.... undecided

2 Likes

Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by Benee1000(m): 3:56pm On Mar 17, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Again...Now I see where your problem is.... you are not even arguing here against domestic violence but instead attempting to justify one aspect of domestic violence by suggesting it was likely provoked.... undecided

I guess you have run out of points. smiley
Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by descarado: 4:02pm On Mar 17, 2022
If you remove the cloak of religion, you will never tolerate domestic violence

2 Likes

Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by Kobojunkie: 5:27pm On Mar 17, 2022
descarado:
By religion, you mean Islam in Nigeria? What about culture that puts the woman at almost the same level as children in marriage? undecided
Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by descarado: 11:44pm On Mar 17, 2022
Kobojunkie:
By religion, you mean Islam in Nigeria? What about culture that puts the woman at almost the same level as children in marriage? undecided
Maybe your culture put women at the same level with children, mine didn't.
Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by Kobojunkie: 12:40am On Mar 18, 2022
descarado:

Maybe your culture put women at the same level with children, mine didn't.
Interesting! So what culture would this be? undecided
Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by descarado: 4:16pm On Mar 19, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Interesting! So what culture would this be? undecided
To start going to and fro with you?

Thank you. I am not gonna stay on nairaland 30 minutes or more going in circle
Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by QuinModah(f): 9:11am On Mar 24, 2022
descarado:
hmmm

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Just Lost My Dad / Please Help Me, What Do I Do To An Ungrateful Wife? / My Niece Wants A Blackberry Phone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.