Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,772 members, 7,831,480 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:27 PM

My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating (45031 Views)

29-Year-Old Groom & His 28-Year-Old Bride Who Are Both Virgins Wed In Lagos / 29-Year-Old Mother Of 4 Dies After Abortion, Impregnated By 25-Year-Old Boyfrien / Woman Kneels Down To Thank Her Husband After Graduating With PhD, See Reactions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by OlawaleBammie: 4:48pm On Mar 13, 2022
Klass99:

Make I follow you LOL, Jonny abeg die this yarn joor. I am self aware enough to know that I am lacking in that area/department.

Why will I be pleading with my offspring because of bond? Unto sey I carried him for 9 months in my womb? I don't have it in me o!

Las las, is he Jesus Christ? Can any child hang on a tree and die for me like Christ did? Why will I come and be killing myself on top of their matter?

They will not get me into heaven when this life is over and one of my goals is to make heaven. Neither will I be asked to give an account of my child's life, I will be asked to give an account of my own life.
aunty u go wicked small, hmmm yes, u re wicked grin

But one tin i tink would be in ur personality is dat u re not among thowe manipulative women, telling child that i carried u for 9month to hold him hostage.
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Naijanascam: 4:49pm On Mar 13, 2022
OMONGBALI:

It is sell, not sale. Why do Igbos make this mistake?

You are a confirmed certificated slowpoke

Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Desusi: 4:52pm On Mar 13, 2022
Carlyboi:
Dear Sir Desusi!

I’m firstly gonna applaud you for constantly fulfilling your fatherly duties to your kids even though you owe them that responsibility being their progenitor but as soon as they become adults you’re not necessarily obliged and even young kids abound who have got only deadbeats Sperm donor to call Dad!

To your post I think you need to understand how unfavorable the economy is to people generally not to talk of someone who’s underemployed and a male child..we males deal with loads of pressure and responsibilities which sometimes can be overwhelming,but....I can’t absolve him of responsibilities especially if the bills have become a burden for you...so he needs to sit up and man up.

Let me ask these questions..do you deprive access to the house or visit especially females?second do you think he’s genuinely financially incapacitated or he’s just not willing to try?I asked bout the access cos he might spending money on entertaining women elsewhere if he’s into women and if he’s actually kind then you can’t go too hard on him...you can tell your daughter bout it and get her to see reason or anyone else you think can get through to him friends,relatives or lover(s)if applicable.

Then try and saddle him with the smallest bills to start with and try awaken that sense of responsibility in him,also don’t try push him or force him out,don’t put me under undue pressure,don’t denigrate or Shame him cos of his financial and employment status...that would do more harm than good and strain and scar your relationship for life.

At the end of the day if nothing changes do whatever you can going forward and prioritize your needs he would always sort himself out and also it’s only a matter of time he won’t live with your for life I’m here thinking 5yrs at the most he would find his footing and move in to his own apartment...if you can accommodate,groom and raise him for 29years of his life what is 5years less or more that you can’t bear and also put him in your prayers constantly,pray for him to thrive!

Thanks a lot for your advice, as a Christian, l have been praying for him that God will help him out.
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Nobody: 4:55pm On Mar 13, 2022
Herbephe1:
This is really frustrating, I'll be 29yrs next month and currently I'm in my 300l second semester,assu is slugging my academic progress.
l stay with my parents, some time I feel ashamed of living and eating my parents food at 29"davido age" the fact that I'm older than wiz de give me headache. I'm currently teaching now earning 13k .
I'm not comfortable despite the fact that I'm still schooling not to talk of a whole graduate still eating his parents food at 29! doesn't he have friends? because sometimes my friends do tease me of being fed at my age.

hope he's not into a relationship sha
You are not older than Wiz. Wiz will be 32 by July. Your friend at home or in school tease you? What about staying at any of your working class friend house or relative's house during strike or break and work from there. And buy food for yourself. I think it's better that way
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by nams77: 4:57pm On Mar 13, 2022
Beremx:
The current situation of the country made him to still be living under your roof. Don’t frustrate him and make him misbehave. He’s still a good boy unlike some sons who are jobless and shameless. Give him more time to look for a better job and let him move on
Yea things are hard but a responsible man must commit something to the house no matter how little.

Immediately I returned from service in 2007, I left and rented my own apartment but notwithstanding, I was still doing some little things in our house.
My first salary was 12,600.( I can't forget that grin) from that 12,600, I used around 7,000 to change the whole mosquito net in the house. I used to also pay for TV subscription.

So I see no reason why that guy shouldn't contribute even a penny. He is just a very selfish person.
If I was his father, I will issue an ultimatum. if he doesn't meet it, he is leaving my house. Let him go see what it is like outside.
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Joeyfizzo: 5:06pm On Mar 13, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
So long as you made the selfish decision to have children, you are completely responsible for them till you die. undecided undecided As if they are sharing high paying jobs in Nigeria.
u are Lazy....ur children will do u worse
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Desusi: 5:07pm On Mar 13, 2022
Aguogba:

Graduation in Nigeria now is no longer a passport towards meaningful livelihood. It only ensures that the graduand can become a reasonable member of the society.
What you have to do is to invite your son for a talk.
1.Ask him what his passion is in life. As in, what is that one thing that he knows that he is good at. That thing he does with little effort and excels.
2. When he tells you and you're convinced that he got it right (of course you must have seen signs without being told)
Hmmm,still learning, great thanks.
3. Verify from him if he is motivated to chase that passion, if the answer is yes, your problems are halved.
4. Ask him to make a budget of what it takes to KICK-START that passion.
5. Make your own research to confirm if he did a good job with (number 4) above as you won't entertain hiccups after.
6. Provide that "LAST PUSH" and make it clear that it's handsoff from that point as long as economic parental support is concerned.
7. Follow up with advice when called upon.
8. Good luck to both of you.
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Desusi: 5:08pm On Mar 13, 2022
Aguogba:

Graduation in Nigeria now is no longer a passport towards meaningful livelihood. It only ensures that the graduand can become a reasonable member of the society.
What you have to do is to invite your son for a talk.
1.Ask him what his passion is in life. As in, what is that one thing that he knows that he is good at. That thing he does with little effort and excels.
2. When he tells you and you're convinced that he got it right (of course you must have seen signs without being told)
3. Verify from him if he is motivated to chase that passion, if the answer is yes, your problems are halved.
4. Ask him to make a budget of what it takes to KICK-START that passion.
5. Make your own research to confirm if he did a good job with (number 4) above as you won't entertain hiccups after.
6. Provide that "LAST PUSH" and make it clear that it's handsoff from that point as long as economic parental support is concerned.
7. Follow up with advice when called upon.
8. Good luck to both of you.
Hmmmmm,still learning, great thanks.
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Kingspin(m): 5:08pm On Mar 13, 2022
Desusi:
Naira landers, kindly advise me on what to do.

l am over 60 years old, a widower. By the grace of God, l was blessed with three children of which two are graduates with good grades from reputable universities here in Nigeria, one is still undergraduate before the departure of my late wife some years back.

As a retired man with meager money, I decided to manage a little business which barely gives me much money. One of these my children, a professional, though not teacher, is currently residing with me doing teaching job in different places as part time, pending when he would get a much better job.

We are living in my personal house. l would single handedly pay electricity bills, lawnman, etc. My son would not want to help in any way, not even with pure water of #10 claiming that he is with his father.

Efforts to convince him to assist me is not yielding positive result, instead he would pick quarrels with me. His senior sister has married, while the junior brother is still in the school as dependant, what sort of counseling do you think he needs to change.

I am afraid even if this boy owns shop rite in future, he would not help either.
Have you discussed with him about his plans especially towards the future. Get a closer relative or someone you trust to counsel your son.
Advice him to stop waiting for jobs instead seek for self employment. Time is going
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Skmoda360(m): 5:09pm On Mar 13, 2022
Malory:
Shatap
It affect you ni? undecided
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Professorcplus(m): 5:11pm On Mar 13, 2022
nams77:

Yea things are hard but a responsible man must commit something to the house no matter how little.

Immediately I returned from service in 2007, I left and rented my own apartment but notwithstanding, I was still doing some little things in our house.
My first salary was 12,600.( I can't forget that grin) from that 12,600, I used around 7,000 to change the whole mosquito net in the house. I used to also pay for TV subscription.

So I see no reason why that guy shouldn't contribute even a penny. He is just a very selfish person.
If I was his father, I will issue an ultimatum. if he doesn't meet it, he is leaving my house. Let him go see what it is like outside.
You people clamoring to forcefully eject the poor man out didn't think twice.

He trained a graduate which means he's teachable, I can't fantom why op and his son can talk and iron things like a civil being.

If you force him out, well he might survive the harsh condition, but just know the son might become harder, thougher and worse will never cater for his old papa.

Paraventure he becomes successful, you might later be at his mercy by them he treats you with cruel. It is them you hear people say is a wicked child. Who cares anyway.

The op one sided story isn't complete. I was expecting his to says he stream his money bla bla bla.
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by frozen70(f): 5:12pm On Mar 13, 2022
Desusi:

l am over 60 years old, a widower. By the grace of God, l was blessed with three children of which two are graduates with good grades from reputable universities here in Nigeria, one is still undergraduate before the departure of my late wife some years back.

As a retired man with meager money, I decided to manage a little business which barely gives me much money. One of these my children, a professional, though not teacher, is currently residing with me doing teaching job in different places as part time, pending when he would get a much better job.

We are living in my personal house. l would single handedly pay electricity bills, lawnman, etc. My son would not want to help in any way, not even with pure water of #10 claiming that he is with his father.

Efforts to convince him to assist me is not yielding positive result, instead he would pick quarrels with me. His senior sister has married, while the junior brother is still in the school as dependant, what sort of counseling do you think he needs to change.

I am afraid even if this boy owns shop rite in future, he would not help either.

Why not look for responsible youths around your area to talk to him and advise him to get his own accommodation at least let's start from that

Let see if he will starve himself

He must be responsible if not he will become a liability in future
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Desusi: 5:15pm On Mar 13, 2022
Blackbishop:
I will tell you from experience that it is futile to talk and talk again you will turn his enemy on a long run and what you are preventing will happen which is neglecting you.

But to be the wise man here, like my father did, he became my friend for more than a month he never hint me of his plan. He was so friendly that I have forgotten what we use to fight about then gbam one morning without provocation he just came over to my room and said I want to rent this room out due to the fact am old and I can’t work again. So when is it convenient for you to move out?

Really? Your father is a frank man.lam too gentle and tender to to that. Thanks a lot.
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by nams77: 5:17pm On Mar 13, 2022
Professorcplus:

You people clamoring to forcefully eject the poor man out didn't think twice.

He trained a graduate which means he's teachable, I can't fantom why op and his son can talk and iron things like a civil being.

If you force him out, well he might survive the harsh condition, but just know the son might become harder, thougher and worse will never cater for his old papa.

Paraventure he becomes successful, you might later be at his mercy by them he treats you with cruel. It is them you hear people say is a wicked child. Who cares anyway.

The op one sided story isn't complete. I was expecting his to says he stream his money bla bla bla.
Ok. Maybe I was to harsh. Maybe it will not be proper to send him out but If he is teaching as his father posited, then he should add some value
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by philosophie: 5:17pm On Mar 13, 2022
Tell him you're giving him a grace of 1year to save at least 90% of his pay every month and decide on how to move ahead.
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Yomit71(m): 5:18pm On Mar 13, 2022
pray always that God should open ways for him.
I have once been in his shoes and I can tell you that period of life for a man is really tough, depression could set in. I left home after my youth service thinking I want to start life on my own, see the reality is that it takes the grace of God to stand.
So after praying fervently for him, you can tell him you want him to go out and hustle for himself but equip him with some few cash to assist him for the period he will be walking helter skelter in search of greener pastures.
That's what my mom did for me and today, God has enlarged my coast and I have been reciprocating the good deeds ever since.
Glory to God.
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Dcdigitals: 5:24pm On Mar 13, 2022
I pray you see this.....

First, I will start by saying you caused it, and brought this terrible occurennce to yourself. The attitude of your 29 years old son only tells that you have raised your children to be dependent. You failed there!

However, that son of yours is shameless and wicked.

See, stop been concerned about if he's going to help anyone if he gets rich or not. You should rather be concerned that he's going to remain dependent on you even after marriage-if he ever think of it sha..."

Back to him: at his age, his concerns should be how to bless you from his pocket and not taking from you again.

My advice: send him out of your house, ask him to take responsibility for his life and be a man that he's supposed to be and not a parasite that he is now.

The only way to help him is to send him out of your house. Don't be emotional about it. Just do it and pray that he will get sense out there.

That guy no get single shame....shiooor
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by dettolgel: 5:24pm On Mar 13, 2022
Oga meanwhile thank you and congratulations fro training him in school. It is not easy.

My suggestion is find a way to get him work outside state. That way he will be fully responsible for himself. While you manage yourself and your last child.

A times people like him need life to hit them in the face before they learn.

Meanwhile it you have any property write your will and sale the ones you can to sustain you. Afterall you worked for it so enjoy it the best thing any parents could give their kids is to educate them which you have done.

Right now your focus should be you and how to get his ass out of your home without putting your life as risk.

1 Like

Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Professorcplus(m): 5:28pm On Mar 13, 2022
nams77:

Ok. Maybe I was to harsh. Maybe it will not be proper to send him out but If he is teaching as his father posited, then he should add some value
The father didnt even give us hint of his son's salary.

My guess is that the father out of frustration of paying bills pushes his son out to earn which everway and didn't really know what the son is doing currently.

Maybe the son is a volunteer teaching little kids of his vicinity and hoping to get any amount from their parents out of desperation to avoid his father's frustration and yells.

So far as he's graduate and teaching, he's teachable and discussing this issue with him should be easier.

May God uplift every depressed and desperate graduate out their.
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Olufemiolaolu(m): 5:32pm On Mar 13, 2022
Your boy need serious reorientation. If he can't help now, I don't think he would if eventually makes it in life. Threatening with an eviction.
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by pedro11(m): 5:42pm On Mar 13, 2022
Don't push him out, frustration is real, rather talk to him, To assist you. If things were okay for him, he would have gotten his own place. It's so cold outside my nigga.
Why can't parent just live with their grow up sons and daughters in peace nowaday.

Things are not easy as they were back then
✌️
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by sonssyo: 5:44pm On Mar 13, 2022
Desusi:

Stop cooking in the house,eat outside,keep paying for fixed bills like NEPA,aside that don't do anything further,I stay with a guy that lived with my mum I got a job with waec for him,his salary is 45k plus some variation,he doesn't like spending a dime,I will provide detergents,soap,tissue , everything but as time went by he started abusing all,I withdrew detergents, soap and pure water ( he opens pure water sack at will and leave it unfinished) so I added that for him. I use my detergents myself as well as my soap,since then all man respect himself

1 Like

Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by fof1: 5:50pm On Mar 13, 2022
Desusi:

1. He is a Lazy ingrate
2. He should be very Grateful for Successfully Graduating...and seek to be independent and Supportive of the House and his Younger.
3. Begin to gradually withdraw some Privileges... his Claiming First Son and Birthright is his undoing and will hurt him seriously.
4. Teach or Continue to improve it on him that, he needs to be a Man, no matter the Excuses in the Country,Pls
5. Be very Careful of this Son and his Mindset...God Help You.Pls.
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Kelvin3476: 5:51pm On Mar 13, 2022
Golan007:

After graduation, a man should leave his father's house.
Wrong saying bro
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by hohafrank(m): 5:53pm On Mar 13, 2022
Assist him to get a good job.
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by ambient: 5:55pm On Mar 13, 2022
Desusi:

Chai I mandated my 18 years old brother to be contributing 1000 for pure water when he was still doing a bartending job,he wasn't earning much but I did that because I knew he won't stay with me forever,he now has it in mind to be contributing without telling him.this is what should have been planted when he was young,I am proud that my brother can stay with people without being a burden.

At 29 I don't think your son would change and I strongly pity his potential wife.
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Exkandayee(m): 5:55pm On Mar 13, 2022
Desusi:

Oga calm down, your son is saving money to japa,I know dis 100%, he's not helping because he sees you're still strong and hard-working, just give him sometimes, you'll know he's really thinking about you
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by fof1: 5:56pm On Mar 13, 2022
shawante:
You don't want your son to enjoy you now that you're alive abi?

Foolish and Rash Talks Reside in d Bossom of d Lazy FOLKS...Change ur Mindset and Be Productive,Pls
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Desusi: 6:04pm On Mar 13, 2022
nams77:

Its just that he would not want to contributes anything in the house. Iam afraid, this may be a major issue for him in future when he marries.
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Desusi: 6:06pm On Mar 13, 2022
philosophie:
Tell him you're giving him a grace of 1year to save at least 90% of his pay every month and decide on how to move ahead.
He has more than enough in his account to settle down. Peradventure, he has other programs.
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by MrRemedyAlagbo(m): 6:07pm On Mar 13, 2022
Mooh247:
cool

See wetin bad economy cause

You can't repay your father for raising you, you are still taking from him even at retirement

That's a crime

Use the method my mum used on us..

Note ; she is a retired Federal Government worker with my dad and they both earn good money from pension and house rent

Call all your children to have a serious conversation early in the morning...

Mandate each and everyone of them to take care of a certain bill or give you a certain amount every month so as to receive your true blessing while you're still alive

Start with little commitments for them

*filling of cooking gas
*service and fueling of Generators
*buying of pure water bags and water dispenser refill
*even your kid in school can afford to buy bread or live chcken every time he comes home if you mandate him to do so
*3k monthly subscription of internet or DSTV

This is the best advice oo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Desusi: 6:10pm On Mar 13, 2022
Yomit71:
pray always that God should open ways for him.
I have once been in his shoes and I can tell you that period of life for a man is really tough, depression could set in. I left home after my youth service thinking I want to start life on my own, see the reality is that it takes the grace of God to stand.
So after praying fervently for him, you can tell him you want him to go out and hustle for himself but equip him with some few cash to assist him for the period he will be walking helter skelter in search of greener pastures.
That's what my mom did for me and today, God has enlarged my coast and I have been reciprocating the good deeds ever since.
Glory to God.
Thanks a lot.Nothing prayers cannot do.l will try more.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Man Celebrates His Daughter's Birthday With A Crocodile In Edo State. Photos / Her Family Told Me To Marry Her Corpse / 117-Year-Old Grandma Whose Photos Went Viral Dies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.