Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,012 members, 7,835,435 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:10 AM

My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating (45056 Views)

29-Year-Old Groom & His 28-Year-Old Bride Who Are Both Virgins Wed In Lagos / 29-Year-Old Mother Of 4 Dies After Abortion, Impregnated By 25-Year-Old Boyfrien / Woman Kneels Down To Thank Her Husband After Graduating With PhD, See Reactions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Nobody: 8:45am On Mar 13, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
So long as you made the selfish decision to have children, you are completely responsible for them till you die. undecided undecided As if they are sharing high paying jobs in Nigeria.

This really means that you are not different from his son. What kind of generation are we raising. Don't worry, you'll also be selfish and raise selfish children and both of you will live together till old age.
You don't even have respect for elders.
Social media pallava

8 Likes

Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Mariangeles(f): 9:11am On Mar 13, 2022
Munzy14:

The honest truth is that the money is not there..When a child starts earning, the first show love to their parents, before extending to a lover/life partner.

Again, it depends on how you trained them, did you raised them in a way they must accept responsibilities? Were you the type of parent that is always giving?. If so, he has become comfortable with that..

Nowadays I don't have money is no longer excuse, we have many ways of making legit money...That teaching can deceive people a lot and push the person to poverty with comfortable mind. lipsrsealed

With current economy of Nigeria, teaching that is not in the tertiary institutions shouldn't be for a man.

It is mainly a woman thing now, as she will use it to support her man.

Lastly,don't put pressure on him, some human move at their own pace...depression is real...Allow him work at his own pace and grace...Talk to him às your fellow man...He must assume responsibility now..if he can't now, I doubt if any woman can tolerate that..make him understand things he learn now, will be what he is going to live with when he marries.

The bolded should've been the main point.
I think that is where the problem lies.

How can you say the money is not there, when he works?
No matter how little he earns, at the end of every month, he should be able to say nna m, jide nke a. That is being a responsible adult.

2 Likes

Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Munzy14(m): 9:26am On Mar 13, 2022
Richy4:

Oga the money not being there is not an excuse... A son that had a liberal mind to give will make an effort to give and help the situation no matter how small...If he makes an effort with the little he has, it will give the father the assurance that if he had more based on his financial situation,he will do more... and I believe his dad wouldn't have been here to ask for solutions from his fellow young people like US ..

What about little domestic chores like mowing the lawn? Cleaning the house? Buying even an item as small as detergent powder for family use... Does that also require millions as well?...

He earns little and could not open his eyes to see a struggling father at his age, is it when he starts earning millions that he will do it?

Since he can't see the situation on ground on his own, he should be meant to see it clearly by every possible means...
Like you said, a son that has a liberal mindset to give...Unfortunately he isn't.

And I still maintained, the money is not there..

Lastly, parents should find a way to teach their children how to be responsible from that tender age..
For example, there are little little things you could pay outsiders to do for you, You simply let them do it amd and you pay them..Then ask your wife to monitor how they spend their earnings.

Parenting is a serious job..How you train them is how they will grow.

Growing up, I and my siblings were taught to hustle from teenage..We revolt when my parents try to get labourers do some jobs..We rather do it with our friends collect the money and share. grin

By the time we became adults, there are quite a handful of things we can do in addition to education..Now, my parents are relaxed knowing they have done their parenting to best of their ability...

If you don't your kids training well, you will grow old to keep struggling when you are meant to relax no matter how small.

There is no way you can force a 29year old man to do anything aside sitting him down to have a man to man discussions.

2 Likes

Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by BENCHOKCONSULT: 9:53am On Mar 13, 2022
Desusi:
Naira landers, kindly advise me on what to do.lam over 60 years old, a widower. By the grace of God,l was blessed with three children of which two are graduates with good grades from reputable universities here Nigeria, one is still undergraduate before the departure of my late wife some years back. As a retired man with meager money,l decided to manage a little business which barely give me much money. One of these my children,a professional, though not teacher, is currently residing with me doing teaching job in different places as part time, pending when he would get a much better job. We are living in my personal house.l would single handedly pay electricity bills,lawnman,etc .My son would not want to help in any way,not even with pure water of #10 claiming that he is with his father.Efforts to convince him to assist me is not yielding positive result, instead he would pick quarrels with me.His senior sister has married, while the junior brother is still in the school as dependant, what sort of counseling do you think he need to change. Iam afraid even if this boy owns chop rite in future, he would not help either.

I left home after after my university education infact, since 2018, I haven't spent good 2 months in my parents house because I am also thinking of my own future, they have tried persuading me to relocate back home but I have refused, I have been fending for myself by the Grace of God. I think the only solution is to eject your son forcefully from the house. 29 years isn't a childs play.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Munzy14(m): 10:47am On Mar 13, 2022
Mariangeles:

The bolded should've been the main point.
I think that is where the problem lies.

How can you say the money is not there, when he works?
No matter how little he earns, at the end of every month, he should be able to say nna m, jide nke a. That is being a responsible adult.
Teaching o wu oru oge ugbua undecided

Just to pass time..Okwa nke akwu ga some 13000naira...ego data lipsrsealed

Hapu, i gahu aghota ije nwoke.

I know for a reason, when a child see money, he or she will want to impress the parents...This is a must.

He should sit him down and talk to him...The problem we assume as humans a lot...Some believe you must ask before it will be given.

I have come to accept a principle, if I need anything from anyone, I won't assume he/she knows...I must ask for it...Bible see kuo aka, a ga emehere gi...Seek and you shall find.

He should go talk to his son like a man.

2 Likes

Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Nobody: 10:51am On Mar 13, 2022
Golan007:

This one is still doing "Mummy, thank you" after breakfast, lunch and dinner.

grin
So many graduates are moving about with this same idealogy eventually they get frustrated and run into yahoo n rituals...... infact 60% of people just to them fend for themselves and become independent most are into yahoo, runz and illegal stuff

1 Like

Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by shawante(m): 11:06am On Mar 13, 2022
AdenolaBlessing:

Well-done. You'll also have a son that you'll be taking care of till old age. Then you'll realize the pain the man is going through

If I have the means I'll do that with all joy.. Afterall the joy of every parent is to see that their children are comfortable
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by NeoWanZaeed(m): 11:25am On Mar 13, 2022
29 years

He's not your son!!!!

1 Like

Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Golan007: 11:30am On Mar 13, 2022
Senomii:

So many graduates are moving about with this same idealogy eventually they get frustrated and run into yahoo n rituals...... infact 60% of people just to them fend for themselves and become independent most are into yahoo, runz and illegal stuff

None of my siblings returned home after graduation - all 5 of us.

None went into crime and all ended up the better.

Of course, there are many who are unequipped for their future so they end up falling into a life of crime.
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Richy4(m): 11:41am On Mar 13, 2022
Munzy14:

Like you said, a son that has a liberal mindset to give...Unfortunately he isn't.

And I still maintained, the money is not there..

Lastly, parents should find a way to teach their children how to be responsible from that tender age..
For example, there are little little things you could pay outsiders to do for you, You simply let them do it amd and you pay them..Then ask your wife to monitor how they spend their earnings.

Parenting is a serious job..How you train them is how they will grow.

Growing up, I and my siblings were taught to hustle from teenage..We revolt when my parents try to get labourers do some jobs..We rather do it with our friends collect the money and share. grin

By the time we became adults, there are quite a handful of things we can do in addition to education..Now, my parents are relaxed knowing they have done their parenting to best of their ability...

If you don't your kids training well, you will grow old to keep struggling when you are meant to relax no matter how small.

There is no way you can force a 29year old man to do anything aside sitting him down to have a man to man discussions.

grin cheesy
When you said that the money is not there, I just kind of wonder how much should be available before someone can decide to take responsibility...

If his father is not leaving with him,
<<< Won't he pay rent... Won't he eat or will he go to the shop owner and tell them to give him their products but that the money is not there that they should bear with him?

<<< If he stays on his own, electricity bill will be paid with the money that is not there right?

<<< I will not blame the man for anything because even if he instilled good values on his kids... Some will still turned out to be what they wanted to be... Some turned out to be selfish, some liberal minded...I wished that he should go with tough love on him....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Nobody: 11:45am On Mar 13, 2022
Tina001:

If not for anything, at least respect his age. See the way u talking to a 60years old man. Must you display your lack of home training I blame social media
Onyeoma
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Nobody: 11:46am On Mar 13, 2022
LilMissFavvy:
He is selfish*. So you have to be locking up some of the foodstuffs and other items in a place he cannot reach. You can take the fridge to your room permanently. I think you should be happy to have your son living with you. Don't send him away. When you begin to lock things up, he will start buying items for the house.
You be teacher right ? I hope you don't measure your yams with a tape ruler
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Solsix(m): 11:50am On Mar 13, 2022
Beremx:
The current situation of the country made him to still be living under your roof. Don’t frustrate him and make him misbehave. He’s still a good boy unlike some sons who are jobless and shameless. Give him more time to look for a better job and let him move on
That does not mean he should not assist. That is having a sense of responsibility. I am currently in that situation but I make monthly contribution to support the family. It's not easy for anybody
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Nobody: 1:28pm On Mar 13, 2022
shawante:

If I have the means I'll do that with all joy.. Afterall the joy of every parent is to see that their children are comfortable
You are talking about comfort when you are still spoon feeding a 29year old man, who is suppose to have gotten married and have his own life, it's not as if he doesn't have a means of livelihood. He doesn't even care if the father have enough or not and he doesn't contribute a dime to anything in the house. You better don't wish for negativity in your life. If your son of 29years old is still depending on you after you have stress yourself to sponsor him till University level. It's not a good thing to wish for at all.
If you want comfort for your children, give them good education and train them on how they can be independent afterward. Teach them how to be responsible, not to still be depending on you after graduation

1 Like

Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Jamesbiodun(m): 1:41pm On Mar 13, 2022
As Nigeria no better before I was born, I stopped collecting feeding money when I was 17 years, no be say I get money but I can't be a burden to my parents... He is just a liability to you... Though it is how you train him that is really hitting you hard now

2 Likes

Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Xcelinteriors(f): 2:26pm On Mar 13, 2022
May almighty God not give us useless children
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Kingcalls: 2:27pm On Mar 13, 2022
Golan007:

After graduation, a man should leave his father's house.

To whr?? A world of crime??
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by MajorOvakporaye(f): 2:30pm On Mar 13, 2022
Mooh247:
cool

See wetin bad economy cause

You can't repay your father for raising you, you are still taking from him even at retirement

That's a crime

Use the method my mum used on us..

Note ; she is a retired Federal Government worker with my dad and they both earn good money from pension and house rent

Call all your children to have a serious conversation early in the morning...

Mandate each and everyone of them to take care of a certain bill or give you a certain amount every month so as to receive your true blessing while you're still alive

Start with little commitments for them

*filling of cooking gas
*service and fueling of Generators
*buying of pure water and water dispenser refill
*even your kid in school can afford to buy bread or live chcken every time he comes home if you mandate him to do so
*3k monthly subscription of internet or DSTV

SHUT UP!!! SOLMUSDESIGN, YOUR DUMB PRESIDENT AND THE IRAGBIJI BULLION VAN CRIMINAL ARE BIG CONTRIBUTORS TO THIS FAILED ECONOMY
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by toujurs: 2:30pm On Mar 13, 2022
JONNYSPUTE:
grin
I don't even know what to say but to start with. How was he raised?
I mean,was he having everything at his will when growing up?
stop this, Davido was given everything but yet he made a way for him self and earned himself an income and fame too. Even if the 29 year old was provided everything at his will, it doesn't matter. Who is wise is already wise. Its unfortunate his 29yr old child is lazy.

2 Likes

Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by jiz: 2:30pm On Mar 13, 2022
Ask him to learn a skill. Pay for the skill and help him to get clients
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by sgtponzihater1(m): 2:30pm On Mar 13, 2022
Ask him to leave your house in 3-6months. At least you know you are taking care of yourself and your dependent.
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Mooh247: 2:31pm On Mar 13, 2022
MajorOvakporaye:

SHUT UP!!! SOLMUSDESIGN, YOUR DUMB PRESIDENT AND THE IRAGBIJI BULLION VAN CRIMINAL ARE BIG CONTRIBUTORS TO THIS FAILED ECONOMY

Go back and work in a bakery for ₦5000 and stop blaming Buhari for your misfortune

Nonsense and ingredients

Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by TheWolfen(m): 2:31pm On Mar 13, 2022
He needs to go get his own apartment. That is the only way he can be serious with his life.
Read him the riot act. Tell him he will need to sit up and pay his subsequent rent fee.
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Okeytus(m): 2:32pm On Mar 13, 2022
Desusi:
Naira landers, kindly advise me on what to do.

l am over 60 years old, a widower. By the grace of God, l was blessed with three children of which two are graduates with good grades from reputable universities here in Nigeria, one is still undergraduate before the departure of my late wife some years back.

As a retired man with meager money, I decided to manage a little business which barely gives me much money. One of these my children, a professional, though not teacher, is currently residing with me doing teaching job in different places as part time, pending when he would get a much better job.

We are living in my personal house. l would single handedly pay electricity bills, lawnman, etc. My son would not want to help in any way, not even with pure water of #10 claiming that he is with his father.

Efforts to convince him to assist me is not yielding positive result, instead he would pick quarrels with me. His senior sister has married, while the junior brother is still in the school as dependant, what sort of counseling do you think he needs to change.

I am afraid even if this boy owns shop rite in future, he would not help either.
I think you should sit him down and discuss about his future with him, show him you want to be of help so he can be successful and you are willing to support in any way you can.
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Henry22(m): 2:32pm On Mar 13, 2022
Desusi:

l am over 60 years old, a widower. By the grace of God, l was blessed with three children of which two are graduates with good grades from reputable universities here in Nigeria, one is still undergraduate before the departure of my late wife some years back.

As a retired man with meager money, I decided to manage a little business which barely gives me much money. One of these my children, a professional, though not teacher, is currently residing with me doing teaching job in different places as part time, pending when he would get a much better job.

We are living in my personal house. l would single handedly pay electricity bills, lawnman, etc. My son would not want to help in any way, not even with pure water of #10 claiming that he is with his father.

Efforts to convince him to assist me is not yielding positive result, instead he would pick quarrels with me. His senior sister has married, while the junior brother is still in the school as dependant, what sort of counseling do you think he needs to change.

I am afraid even if this boy owns shop rite in future, he would not help either.

Give him conditions that if you have to continue feeding him then all the house chores are on him....
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Mariangeles(f): 2:33pm On Mar 13, 2022
sgtponzihater1:
Ask him to leave your house in 3-6months. At least you know you are taking care of yourself and your dependent.

Can you as a father put your son out?
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by okomile(f): 2:34pm On Mar 13, 2022
Simply ignore him.
Don't cook. Go and eat in mama put. Buy 2 extra pure water to drink. Don't buy food stuffs again.
No need to argue or talk.

If he sees there is nothing in the house, he will go and eat himself.
Same issues when u make them comfortable in their growing years. They want to be a liability, no way!

Wish u luck

1 Like

Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by tctrills: 2:35pm On Mar 13, 2022
Desusi:

Is he working?
Please assist him as much as you can until he gets a job.
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by khalids: 2:35pm On Mar 13, 2022
Desusi:

Perhaps you can start by asking him ...why he does not want to leave the comfort of your house and go into the world to be his own man...

I believe with your years of wisdom you will be able to guide him appropriately and ease whatever notions/fears he has and reassure him that you have his back and he should walk boldly into the world

Our children are our pride and it's our hearts desire to see them stand on their own feet and have successful lives
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by chatinent: 2:36pm On Mar 13, 2022
Lori iro

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

117-Year-Old Grandma Whose Photos Went Viral Dies / Her Family Told Me To Marry Her Corpse / My Ex Fiancee Is Pregnant For Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.