Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,901 members, 7,835,012 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:45 AM

My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating (45045 Views)

29-Year-Old Groom & His 28-Year-Old Bride Who Are Both Virgins Wed In Lagos / 29-Year-Old Mother Of 4 Dies After Abortion, Impregnated By 25-Year-Old Boyfrien / Woman Kneels Down To Thank Her Husband After Graduating With PhD, See Reactions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by mechanics(m): 3:58pm On Mar 13, 2022
He should keep advising him to change, that's not a good attitude.
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by DKM123: 4:00pm On Mar 13, 2022
This one too will be on nairaland screaming "Alfa mail" while his 29 year old mate is out there conquering the world and sending money home to his parents.

3 Likes

Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Elsueno: 4:02pm On Mar 13, 2022
I still live in my papas estate....but us siblings handle 100% of thier bills & spendings..... Personally, I think no matter how little contribute to ur parents, if not in form of finance, u can do chores too....DONT BE A FREELOADER, even though u have every right to be as they are ur parents.... doesn't mean u should
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Kobojunkie: 4:02pm On Mar 13, 2022
DKM123:
This one too will be on nairaland screaming "Alfa mail" while his 29 year old mate is out there conquering the world and sending money home to his parents.
ROFLMAO
grin cheesy grin cheesy cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Anaerobi(m): 4:03pm On Mar 13, 2022
Golan007:
Eject him from the home.

How can he do that? Dad is trying to fix things in order, you are telling him to eject him .
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by AFONAMARO: 4:06pm On Mar 13, 2022
Lanretoye:
Lord have mercy,rich people give their children jobs upon graduation,furnished houses and cars for their wedding and continual support to make life eazy for them cos they know the economic realities even when it is almost not affecting them.
We poor people want the jobless children to feed their immediate family,parents,relatives and inlaws,make life more miserable for the poor children...I really understand how you feel,if u can do well to help him get a good job,why not or why can't you.sincerely speaking there is a great difference between when you gave birth to him and now thats why u see alarming rate of fraud,killings for rituals and all sort.
My opinion:pls do not victimise him or cause rift between you and your son.try to encourage him,admonish him,advise him to get a form of skill or the other while he finds his balance.there are so many paying skills like computer and phone repairs,tilling or what ever he wishes to learn.when he start to feel more comfortable, he will atleast stop depending on you.its a relief if is not reciecing from u...dont mind all these yahoo boys that flaunt expensive cars and appearances,the ritualist wey most of them know pass their age.

Indeed, God have mercy on an entitled son who want to live off his retired/aged (widower) father who has struggled all his life to give him a decent tomorrow (education). I mean, a man who wants to remain a boy forever, couple with his lack of empathy (not showing concern for how is aged father is struggling to feed him even after retirement).

Yes, God have mercy on him as well as his sympathisers!
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Franzee(m): 4:08pm On Mar 13, 2022
My own dad started earlier....
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by DrFunmisticGlow: 4:10pm On Mar 13, 2022
Desusi:
Naira landers, kindly advise me on what to do.

l am over 60 years old, a widower. By the grace of God, l was blessed with three children of which two are graduates with good grades from reputable universities here in Nigeria, one is still undergraduate before the departure of my late wife some years back.

As a retired man with meager money, I decided to manage a little business which barely gives me much money. One of these my children, a professional, though not teacher, is currently residing with me doing teaching job in different places as part time, pending when he would get a much better job.

We are living in my personal house. l would single handedly pay electricity bills, lawnman, etc. My son would not want to help in any way, not even with pure water of #10 claiming that he is with his father.

Efforts to convince him to assist me is not yielding positive result, instead he would pick quarrels with me. His senior sister has married, while the junior brother is still in the school as dependant, what sort of counseling do you think he needs to change.

I am afraid even if this boy owns shop rite in future, he would not help either.
kick him out, or tell him to pay bills, don't let him touch your food or drink.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by OMONGBALI: 4:12pm On Mar 13, 2022
Naijanascam:
Don't even think about him anymore.....live your life to the fullest Sir...if he can't reason well sale off the house and use the money to maintain yourself to live longer because that's the first thing he will sale immediately you die....

It is sell, not sale. Why do Igbos make this mistake?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by AlexB300: 4:17pm On Mar 13, 2022
Old man dey find advice from kids on nairaland embarassed
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by clericuzzio(m): 4:18pm On Mar 13, 2022
Totilopussylick:
I recommend you send him to a barbing school tongue
a man of 60 is seeking advice on this forum and you are there making mockery of his post.

I think you have lost you mind.
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by BananaPeel(m): 4:19pm On Mar 13, 2022
I stayed with mum way above his age but at the end of every month when salary comes, I made my contributions. After moving out and married I still make that little token to mum. Things hard for Naija but nothing is too small to contribute as he is not paying rent. Upbringing matters a lot. It is like you provided every dime he needed all his growing up and schooling and didn't know how to give is.
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Malory: 4:20pm On Mar 13, 2022
TruthUntold:

OP, this is definitely your son's account that he just opened to argue with you anonymously! Ha!
A 29 year old is still young.get that right
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by efficiencie(m): 4:20pm On Mar 13, 2022
Desusi:

l am over 60 years old, a widower. By the grace of God, l was blessed with three children of which two are graduates with good grades from reputable universities here in Nigeria, one is still undergraduate before the departure of my late wife some years back.

As a retired man with meager money, I decided to manage a little business which barely gives me much money. One of these my children, a professional, though not teacher, is currently residing with me doing teaching job in different places as part time, pending when he would get a much better job.

We are living in my personal house. l would single handedly pay electricity bills, lawnman, etc. My son would not want to help in any way, not even with pure water of #10 claiming that he is with his father.

Efforts to convince him to assist me is not yielding positive result, instead he would pick quarrels with me. His senior sister has married, while the junior brother is still in the school as dependant, what sort of counseling do you think he needs to change.

I am afraid even if this boy owns shop rite in future, he would not help either.

Report him to the police for trespassing on your property. Let him swim with the sharks of life.
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Chuksmonika(m): 4:23pm On Mar 13, 2022
JONNYSPUTE:
grin
I don't even know what to say but to start with. How was he raised?
I mean,was he having everything at his will when growing up?
This question is filled with so much wisdom. Parents should at the earliest possible time let their kids know that this life is not easy and not a bed of roses.

How you raise your kids is how they will treat you in future. If you pamper them too much, you will make them too soft to face the challenges of life.
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by UnimkeAk(m): 4:24pm On Mar 13, 2022
Totilopussylick:
I recommend you send him to a barbing school tongue
Read , read, read
Then comprehend
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by afamaustin(m): 4:25pm On Mar 13, 2022
I have a brother that does the same character hi is a lecturer in one of the federal institution in Nigeria.He should be 28 years, Even to by pure water he wunt but when u buy he will be the first person to take.
After all inquiry we find out is a kind of mental illness, and we don't HV option than to be managing him like that.

1 Like

Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Nobody: 4:25pm On Mar 13, 2022
Richy4:

Sir, u have done your part wonderfully well...
Since he is earning, use your church mind to calculate how much his take home is...Write a love note, stating what you want him to contribute clearly....

Since it's gonna cause a misunderstanding, put it in writing by telling him to contribute towards the upkeep... Example..

<<< Monthly electricity Bill... # 7000
<<<Saturday Lawn mowing... # 1000 or u mow the lawn by yourself..
<<< Food.. since I am your father, I will provide that..
<<< Water rates... #5000
<<< General house cleaning...#6000

Conclude by saying....Son, I want you to read this carefully.. U will only approach me over this subject matter if u want to negotiate only... But if u can not help me your father, Your certificate is enough to get u any where u want in the world... I want you to leave my house first week after Easter holidays...

Oga please type it... So that he will know that you are serious...do not right with pen...

Print your own copy as well just incase he wants to negotiate... It's called tough love... I believe anywhere he will be, he will pay rent and bills? Haba!!!

This is too harsh. If your father tells you to leave because of contribution, how will you feel?
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Mikeeytools: 4:26pm On Mar 13, 2022
Tina001:

If not for anything, at least respect his age. See the way u talking to a 60years old man. Must you display your lack of home training I blame social media
many are made few are in nairaland. Very stupid human. No respect for age.
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by OlawaleBammie: 4:27pm On Mar 13, 2022
Mooh247:
cool

See wetin bad economy cause

You can't repay your father for raising you, you are still taking from him even at retirement

That's a crime

Use the method my mum used on us..

Note ; she is a retired Federal Government worker with my dad and they both earn good money from pension and house rent

Call all your children to have a serious conversation early in the morning...

Mandate each and everyone of them to take care of a certain bill or give you a certain amount every month so as to receive your true blessing while you're still alive

Start with little commitments for them

*filling of cooking gas
*service and fueling of Generators
*buying of pure water bags and water dispenser refill
*even your kid in school can afford to buy bread or live chcken every time he comes home if you mandate him to do so
*3k monthly subscription of internet or DSTV

U get sense this tym, too much sense.
Respect!!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Desusi: 4:28pm On Mar 13, 2022
Blastedholligan:
Mehn, this is so disheartening to even read. I'm so sorry about this sir. Why is he being oblivious to what is happening around him? I wish I had the best answer to give but I'm not a father so I won't know how to act in this situation. What I feel you can do best is reach out to any of his closest friend in confidence and tell him what's happening then ask his friend to speak to your son.

If I were son's friend, the kind talk I'll tell him ehn, he might not even want to be friends with me anymore.Thank you,my brother.

I'm so sorry about this sir.
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by ORIAYO70(m): 4:29pm On Mar 13, 2022
Flexherbal:
This is something you both need to sit down and have a mature conversation about.

He needs a change of mindset.

My brother stinginess or been disoblige is a serious problem, from a child

A narcissistic child will not change even when u call a conference meeting on him
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Nobody: 4:31pm On Mar 13, 2022
lexy2014:

All this fiction and made up stories. A 60year old man coming to nairaland to seek for advise on what to do with his son. Una weldone
I thought it was only me that had this thought lipsrsealed
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Dshocker(m): 4:34pm On Mar 13, 2022
Malory:
Shatap

But its the gospel truth,in places like America,most parents sends their off spring away after college
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Desusi: 4:35pm On Mar 13, 2022
PrimadonnaO:

He won't know where to look, sadly.
Can you give me the site or the link to the movies
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Richy4(m): 4:36pm On Mar 13, 2022
lexy2014:

All this fiction and made up stories. A 60year old man coming to nairaland to seek for advise on what to do with his son. Una weldone

Is there a particular age meant for people that comes online... Or is there an age limit that is above being advised
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by aikyg(m): 4:39pm On Mar 13, 2022
What you are doing now is what you should have done twenty-three years ago, when he was just six. Now he is a man, it will take the grace of God for him to listen to whatever you are saying. The only way out is for you to relocate to the village and prepare to spend a year in the village. When he realizes that he is left alone in the city, he will be forced to find something to do to help himself.

It's to late too correct him. The only thing that can correct him now is hunger.
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Desusi: 4:40pm On Mar 13, 2022
medriano:

He is a lazy and selfish man. Do not for a second think he’ll be if any assistance to you even if he earns good money.
At 29, he should be out of your house, hustling to assist you and his younger one.
You make him comfortable that’s why.
What you should do is this.
1, electricity bill, food and other little stuff in the house should be shared. If he doesn’t contribute, make sure he does not eat or even charge his phone. Disconnect the light in his room.
2, give him an ultimatum to leave your house. You have over pampered him.
Is it not obvious that when he marries, he won’t take responsibility of his own family?
Whatever you get now, use it for yourself only.
Thanks for your advice sir.
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by mukthar2000(m): 4:43pm On Mar 13, 2022
Most u depend on the little boy to reciprocate? Why most parents so much depend on the childs that just started a new life, forgoting that it's their responsibility to support the child to his or her confort stage in life
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by emmykk(m): 4:44pm On Mar 13, 2022
Desusi:

This son of yours is not ambitious
I m 42 now when I finished services in 2009 as soon as I left camp from Katsina I went to Benin city and pick up a job that was just paying me 18000.
I only worked for 3months and went to PH to squat with my younger brother who was working and I Scot portharcourt for job until I found one.

You need to send him away or you travel and stay somewhere for 3 months to see how he cope
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by OlawaleBammie: 4:44pm On Mar 13, 2022
Klass99:

Dude like seriously, what is your problem? How do you know he had children for selfish reasons?

I strongly disagree that he is responsible for his children till he dies. He is responsible for them up to a point where they become adults and can do adult things to take care of themselves.

The son is just an insensitive and selfish jackass, it has nothing to do with high paying jobs either. He teaches at different schools and gets paid doesn't he? What stops him from picking up a few bills around the house, after all he lives there rent free. He can pick up one bill and be consistent with it if he was sensible.

If I born this kind pikin, he will be on NL complaining every day about his wicked mother. I don't have that maternal bone in me which makes mothers (or fathers) want to lay down their lives for offsprings. I like myself too much, to be bullshitting myself like that or allowing someone else to, offspring or not.

Auntie oooohhhhh grin grin grin

I swear we re same thing, i swear.

If not that my parent and people around have bn saying i want to be irresponsible walahi i have said i dont want to give birth more than once, even at that sef it wont be more than two.

Aunty i love mysef abeg, i come this life alone and i have bn suffering since alone, and i dont want to continue the suffering cus if one child/children.

Anu money i gather is to take care of my sef and the two children(i can still manage to take care of two children) grin

Even if i become billionaire tomorrow, the real goal is to take care of mysef biko. Its my life and not the children life. My own is to take responsibility on them til dey become adult and can stand on their own firmly.
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by JONNYSPUTE(m): 4:46pm On Mar 13, 2022
Chuksmonika:
This question is filled with so much wisdom. Parents should at the earliest possible time let their kids know that this life is not easy and not a bed of roses.

How you raise your kids is how they will treat you in future. If you pamper them too much, you will make them too soft to face the challenges of life.

....Thank you. But the op has refused to answer it. Meaning he is also at fault.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

117-Year-Old Grandma Whose Photos Went Viral Dies / Her Family Told Me To Marry Her Corpse / My Ex Fiancee Is Pregnant For Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.