Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,408 members, 7,815,897 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:31 PM

My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating (44964 Views)

29-Year-Old Groom & His 28-Year-Old Bride Who Are Both Virgins Wed In Lagos / 29-Year-Old Mother Of 4 Dies After Abortion, Impregnated By 25-Year-Old Boyfrien / Woman Kneels Down To Thank Her Husband After Graduating With PhD, See Reactions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Advancedman(m): 2:59pm On Mar 13, 2022
Flexherbal:
This is something you both need to sit down and have a mature conversation about.

I disagree the son must be a wicked devil and completely irresponsible as well as a national disgrace to the world.
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by MARKone(m): 3:00pm On Mar 13, 2022
lexy2014:

All this fiction and made up stories. A 60year old man coming to nairaland to seek for advise on what to do with his son. Una weldone

I have a friend who is in his mid to late 50's who visits Nairaland very often, not everyone you see, will have someone offline line to confer with, or he might just want to broaden the scope of advise he would have gotten offline and align it with the ones he'll get here, more especially from people his son's age.

3 Likes

Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Donvinci(m): 3:01pm On Mar 13, 2022
You don't want your son to enjoy you now that you're alive abi? [/quote]
So the father no fit live freely abi .. na your type Dey kill him papa cos na your papa
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Blastedholligan: 3:02pm On Mar 13, 2022
Desusi:
Naira landers, kindly advise me on what to do.

l am over 60 years old, a widower. By the grace of God, l was blessed with three children of which two are graduates with good grades from reputable universities here in Nigeria, one is still undergraduate before the departure of my late wife some years back.

As a retired man with meager money, I decided to manage a little business which barely gives me much money. One of these my children, a professional, though not teacher, is currently residing with me doing teaching job in different places as part time, pending when he would get a much better job.

We are living in my personal house. l would single handedly pay electricity bills, lawnman, etc. My son would not want to help in any way, not even with pure water of #10 claiming that he is with his father.

Efforts to convince him to assist me is not yielding positive result, instead he would pick quarrels with me. His senior sister has married, while the junior brother is still in the school as dependant, what sort of counseling do you think he needs to change.

I am afraid even if this boy owns shop rite in future, he would not help either.
Mehn, this is so disheartening to even read. I'm so sorry about this sir. Why is he being oblivious to what is happening around him? I wish I had the best answer to give but I'm not a father so I won't know how to act in this situation. What I feel you can do best is reach out to any of his closest friend in confidence and tell him what's happening then ask his friend to speak to your son.

If I were son's friend, the kind talk I'll tell him ehn, he might not even want to be friends with me anymore.

I'm so sorry about this sir.
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Nobody: 3:03pm On Mar 13, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
So long as you made the selfish decision to have children, you are completely responsible for them till you die. undecided undecided As if they are sharing high paying jobs in Nigeria.
You don't have sense

1 Like

Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Donvinci(m): 3:04pm On Mar 13, 2022
The current situation of the country made him to still be living under your roof. Don’t frustrate him and make him misbehave. He’s still a good boy unlike some sons who are jobless and shameless. Give him more time to look for a better job and let him move on[quote]
As a man is not until you start earning huge before you have positive impact in your family’s life. I’m very sure the op is not demanding all his salary from him just the little he can give
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Blastedholligan: 3:05pm On Mar 13, 2022
Richy4:

Sir, u have done your part wonderfully well...
Since he is earning, use your church mind to calculate how much his take home is...Write a love note, stating what you want him to contribute clearly....

Since it's gonna cause a misunderstanding, put it in writing by telling him to contribute towards the upkeep... Example..

<<< Monthly electricity Bill... # 7000
<<<Saturday Lawn mowing... # 1000 or u mow the lawn by yourself..
<<< Food.. since I am your father, I will provide that..
<<< Water rates... #5000
<<< General house cleaning...#6000

Conclude by saying....Son, I want you to read this carefully.. U will only approach me over this subject matter if u want to negotiate only... But if u can not help me your father, Your certificate is enough to get u any where u want in the world... I want you to leave my house first week after Easter holidays...

Oga please type it... So that he will know that you are serious...do not right with pen...

Print your own copy as well just incase he wants to negotiate... It's called tough love... I believe anywhere he will be, he will pay rent and bills? Haba!!!
this make sense.
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Panda7(m): 3:05pm On Mar 13, 2022
economy hard but atleast he should be kind to his pop man.
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Great0ne1: 3:06pm On Mar 13, 2022
JONNYSPUTE:
grin
I don't even know what to say but to start with. How was he raised?
I mean,was he having everything at his will when growing up?
Very good question. After doing my son my son, you want him to learn what you might never have bordered to imbibe in him, at a young age. Parents know this. Your children are not your pet. You are there to prepare then, for life challenges ahead. If you fail to do this, you have failed as a parent

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Desusi: 3:08pm On Mar 13, 2022
MALIGNANTGuest:

OGA send him to us in the United States. grin
Here, parents evict their kids from homes.
IF kids don't generate Revenue and are only consuming & possibly causing troubles, they are immediately ejected.
In Fact, POLICE immediately issues them a restriction order from the house.

I know it's unAfrican.
But traveling has taught me a lot.
Just same way I will never advise a struggling Young man to marry a completely jobless lady.
No one does such Abroad.

He should be encouraged to get something doing, no matter how small.
Small is far better than nothing.
May be I may have to share my story too.
Thanks, brother.l enjoy your gist, tell me more!
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Paramount01(m): 3:09pm On Mar 13, 2022
Mooh247:
cool

See wetin bad economy cause

You can't repay your father for raising you, you are still taking from him even at retirement

That's a crime

Use the method my mum used on us..

Note ; she is a retired Federal Government worker with my dad and they both earn good money from pension and house rent

Call all your children to have a serious conversation early in the morning...

Mandate each and everyone of them to take care of a certain bill or give you a certain amount every month so as to receive your true blessing while you're still alive

Start with little commitments for them

*filling of cooking gas
*service and fueling of Generators
*buying of pure water bags and water dispenser refill
*even your kid in school can afford to buy bread or live chcken every time he comes home if you mandate him to do so
*3k monthly subscription of internet or DSTV

Don't u think u are pushing them to start yahoo
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by faithfull18(f): 3:09pm On Mar 13, 2022
KingAzubuike:

You're a woman.. you're the last person that ought to be giving advice about issues like this.. una wey your numerous boyfriend's don dey foot your bills even before you graduate.
Sorry to disappoint, having a sense of responsibility isn't genderic and not every woman lives on handouts, you need to change your mindset.
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by JaskanFactor: 3:09pm On Mar 13, 2022
please feed him, university is a lie. People should help thier children open shop or start trade and use university as fallback, and not as the main option. This days with online universities you can run shop and do school

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by 77up(m): 3:09pm On Mar 13, 2022
Your son is selfish
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Ybaby: 3:09pm On Mar 13, 2022
Desusi:

l am over 60 years old, a widower. By the grace of God, l was blessed with three children of which two are graduates with good grades from reputable universities here in Nigeria, one is still undergraduate before the departure of my late wife some years back.

As a retired man with meager money, I decided to manage a little business which barely gives me much money. One of these my children, a professional, though not teacher, is currently residing with me doing teaching job in different places as part time, pending when he would get a much better job.

We are living in my personal house. l would single handedly pay electricity bills, lawnman, etc. My son would not want to help in any way, not even with pure water of #10 claiming that he is with his father.

Efforts to convince him to assist me is not yielding positive result, instead he would pick quarrels with me. His senior sister has married, while the junior brother is still in the school as dependant, what sort of counseling do you think he needs to change.

I am afraid even if this boy owns shop rite in future, he would not help either.

He needs to leave your house. Never mind him helping you ... he needs to stop being a parasite first. Send him to Lagos to hustle. He is a man now !
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Kobicove(m): 3:12pm On Mar 13, 2022
Desusi:

Ask him to start paying rent for the room he is occupying in your house...that is how it's done in advanced countries!
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by shege45: 3:13pm On Mar 13, 2022
Beremx:
The current situation of the country made him to still be living under your roof. Don’t frustrate him and make him misbehave. He’s still a good boy unlike some sons who are jobless and shameless. Give him more time to look for a better job and let him move on
did you read it well? He is not chasing him. He only needs him to contribute to the house from the little proceeds he gets from the teaching job
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Lanretoye(m): 3:15pm On Mar 13, 2022
Desusi:

Lord have mercy,rich people give their children jobs upon graduation,furnished houses and cars for their wedding and continual support to make life eazy for them cos they know the economic realities even when it is almost not affecting them.
We poor people want the jobless children to feed their immediate family,parents,relatives and inlaws,make life more miserable for the poor children...I really understand how you feel,if u can do well to help him get a good job,why not or why can't you.sincerely speaking there is a great difference between when you gave birth to him and now thats why u see alarming rate of fraud,killings for rituals and all sort.
My opinion:pls do not victimise him or cause rift between you and your son.try to encourage him,admonish him,advise him to get a form of skill or the other while he finds his balance.there are so many paying skills like computer and phone repairs,tilling or what ever he wishes to learn.when he start to feel more comfortable, he will atleast stop depending on you.its a relief if is not reciecing from u...dont mind all these yahoo boys that flaunt expensive cars and appearances,the ritualist wey most of them know pass their age.
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by ALLNIGERIANSMAD(m): 3:19pm On Mar 13, 2022
Flexherbal:
This is something you both need to sit down and have a mature conversation about.
He lack home training, it's disrespectful to tell father to be sitting down and discuss issue with son on what son should naturally grown to do
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Oloripelebe: 3:19pm On Mar 13, 2022
Leave that boy jare,na im papa house he dey
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Kingcalls: 3:21pm On Mar 13, 2022
Golan007:

I have given an example of my family.

Graduation means you have the tools to take care yourself.

Why continuing to live with your parents?

Face reality
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Kobojunkie: 3:22pm On Mar 13, 2022
ChybuzzDD:
1.If any man is selfish, it should be the one who decided not marry and bear children, just to enjoy his resources alone

2. How can a man who brought 3 other fellow humans to this world be rightly described as being selfish

Nawaoo.
I disagree! There is nothing selfish about that choice, and you would know this except you have been indoctrinated,foolishly mind you, into believing it a thing of honor to bear kids. undecided

2. He can If he intended for those 3 humans to remain his slaves and property. undecided

1 Like

Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by basty: 3:25pm On Mar 13, 2022
Deliverance case noted.
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Kobojunkie: 3:25pm On Mar 13, 2022
Samuelriano1:
that's why I hate coming online for advice, you see kids interfering, and spewing trash thinking they know more than the elders. if you don't want kids, that's your choice, but here is a man of over 60, please accord that respect. I hate stupid people
According him respect simply because his age is indicated as 60? You meant the same way you all foolishly accord your presidents and politicians respect because of their age even as they continue to pillage your futures and that of your children and grandchildren? undecided

It is highline you all get over that nonsense. Focus less on age and more on the request. undecided
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by newoffer: 3:26pm On Mar 13, 2022
I started paying rent as at 12 year old. When I was 18 my parent had their own house so they move. I started paying the rent in full while my elder brother, a pleasant lazy dude will sleep while I comb the whole Lagos for opportunity.
Chase the son out. I have one under my roof. Whenever he is bouyant he will go corner go chop...
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Emmanuel30a: 3:26pm On Mar 13, 2022
You dont mention how much your son is earning from the multiple part time teaching. You may as well try all your best in assisting him to get a suitable and especially gainful job. He has being living with you for 29 years & you definitely have no problem accomodating him all those years. Show some concern toward his being independent. Show it through passionate advice, sharing of experiences, exposure,etc. Normally and logically, no graduate would or should want to be living with his or her parent. He may have tired staying with you and might just be taking his time to be independent.Dont forget people may decide suicide because they have no one to confide inside and outside and because they have no place to hide or hide where they can slide. What about ride and bride? Some people can decide suicide because they have no ride and bride while some because they have not become a bride or are no longer a bride. Give him some pride to hide beside your side or your behind. He maybe uncomfortable financially.
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by abeniagbon(m): 3:26pm On Mar 13, 2022
Desusi:

sell the house, he will gain senses... I have feeling he is claiming first son things
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Carlyboi(m): 3:27pm On Mar 13, 2022
Esthered:
Dear OP, the economy has a role to play with your son who may think his income is not enough for himself let alone contribute to the house. I think you need to be firm and allocate bills to him.
I have a cousin who graduated since 2013 and is still being fed by his single mum. He had always had an entitlement mentality which we ignored thinking it was just immature outbursts as we grew up together.
Years after graduation, he started saying the labor market favours women and never landed a good job. His younger sister graduated 2 years after him and got a job when she stormed the labor market. When I was job hunting, he always gave the excuse that white collar jobs isn't his calling....I'm going overboard.....if he's broke, na white collar job holders dey rally round for am.
He just believes he'll be rich one day, although he's an upcoming artist but we don't have money to sponsor him and get him up there. I pleaded with him to work Mondays to Fridays and use his weekends to pursue his passion as he'll have money to promote his craft to no avail.
It's tough love strategy we're trying to see if my aunt can apply to make him stand up.
You're lucky he's working but he needs to know that he has an obligation to contribute in the house as he may find it difficult to provide for his immediate family's upkeep or do so grudgingly.
Please talk to him and if he's adamant, tough love all the way.

The things you said bout your cousin are just so funny I was compelled to leave a comment cos I wasn’t planning to do so...he would make a best seller if he should write a book on excuses...unfortunately people are just different you know our thoughts,personality and drive just vary in degree and kind!you just have to keep encouraging and tolerating him hopefully things get better for him someday soon..and reduce the rallying too that might show him the need for him to make his own money or have a source of livelihood!
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by lexy2014: 3:27pm On Mar 13, 2022
MARKone:

I have a friend who is in his mid to late 50's who visits Nairaland very often, not everyone you see, will have someone offline line to confer with, or he might just want to broaden the scope of advise he would have gotten offline and align it with the ones he'll get here, more especially from people his son's age.

u said he "visits". Is visiting the same thing as coming to ask for advise? Is the visitation of your 50year old friend to nairaland for the purpose u stated above?

How will a 60year old not have anyone to confet with? Kindly explain
Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Kobojunkie: 3:27pm On Mar 13, 2022
PrimadonnaO:
If you think that's a solution, then perhaps you should recommend specific titles for him.
I would but it has been a while for me and such movies. But I do know there are lots of movies out there to help parents understand how to become friends with their adult children, this while still helping train them for better life out there. undecided

1 Like

Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by Flexherbal(m): 3:29pm On Mar 13, 2022
Advancedman:

I disagree the son must be a wicked devil and completely irresponsible as well as a national disgrace to the world.

You must agree with me that some youth of these days need rehabilitation.

1 Like

Re: My 29-Year-Old Son Still Wants Me To Be Feeding Him After Graduating by CorperKola: 3:29pm On Mar 13, 2022
Naijanascam:
Don't even think about him anymore.....live your life to the fullest Sir...if he can't reason well sale off the house and use the money to maintain yourself to live longer because that's the first thing he will sale immediately you die....
It depends on how you look at it
Dangote's daughter was just made a non executive director in his company and she has been an ED in his group coy for a long time. Same for Adenuga and numerous other rich people. I doubt it was their sterling academic qualifications that got them these apointments. And like it or not his current life status is a reflection on you too, how well u performed your duties as a parent in preparing your children for life in general and adulthood in particular.
I find it funny how poor people always flip their responsibilities or at least responsibilities their rich counterparts will bear without complaints on their own children.
Rich poeple still buy houses for their children or open businesses for them if they dont want their children to work directly under them
And some leave billions for their children as inheritance, let alone one house.
Those ones too dont have 2 heads.
Everyone knows how the economy is
If you put too much pressure on him
He may end up taking out his frustrations in life on you, it may end with u dead, stabbed or something.
So be very careful

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Man Takes His Grandmother Out For A Christmas Date - Pictures / Her Family Told Me To Marry Her Corpse / My Ex Fiancee Is Pregnant For Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.