Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:56 AM

Genotype Wahala, Share Your Experience - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Genotype Wahala, Share Your Experience (24469 Views)

Genotype Combinations And Possible Results. Educate Yourselves / "We Are Both AS Genotype And We Don't Consider Break-Up As An Option" / Genotype Wahala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Genotype Wahala, Share Your Experience by Yello1(m): 2:54pm On Mar 13, 2022
MoneyGoDrop:
Well I'm AA with AB+ blood type. It's necessary that people know their genotypes and blood groups inorder to avoid "stories that touch".
See my kinda person
Re: Genotype Wahala, Share Your Experience by feldido(m): 2:57pm On Mar 13, 2022
chronique:

Blood group B rhesus D- has only 3% of the world population with that blood group. If you ever need transfusion, you can only receive from a B negative(which is rare to find) or an O negative. Only 7% of world's population has O negative blood. My point is, don't get too excited. I have same blood group by the way. Just make sure you are not short of blood always.

I don't accept blood transfusion anyway. My point here is that having a - rh makes it easy to marry anyone without fear of complications
Re: Genotype Wahala, Share Your Experience by PrimadonnaO(f): 3:11pm On Mar 13, 2022
shagasha:
It limits but if u have extra cash to spend you can determine the genotype b4 giving birth. I don't even think the facility is in Nigeria but I know that it can be done in the western world.

Final Note, avoid it, you will surely come across an AA that will still blow your mind.

I tell you this from experience

The facility is in Nigeria.
Re: Genotype Wahala, Share Your Experience by ubee(m): 3:19pm On Mar 13, 2022
The incompetence of any lab that would give someone a wrong genotype result is one that shouldn't go unpunished.
In top standard societies where the law courts are well run and credible you can lay claims for damages against them if you are willing to make them pay.
JONNYSPUTE:
.... During our registration in year one back then,the school lab after taking my samples gave me my result and they wrote AS. Ooh,Naso I believe say I be As genotype and anytime I get into a relationship my first question to the lady will be what's your genotype because I no wan hear story.

Till I graduated,I had this notion that I'm an AS carrier. Not until one day I fell sick and in the cause of doing a malaria test,I asked them to also check for my genotype.

Alas,the result came out AA.I told them is not correct. Had to go to 3 different labs and it still came out same AA in all.

I said so this people just make me dey cut liver dey search for AA lady.

It wasn't a nice experience then.
Re: Genotype Wahala, Share Your Experience by OCHKESTINE(m): 3:24pm On Mar 13, 2022
My parents are both AS. Married in the 70s.
They had 10 kids, fortunately I happen to be the only AA genotype among all 10.

Lost 6 to crisis that comes with being SS genotype.
Have three SS genotype remaining.

I have watched 6 of my siblings die. Please don't do that to any of ur kids.

Whenever I receive a call from home, I anticipate getting the news that something bad has happened.

My entire life has been like that. Always get calls to rush down to the hospital or come take one to the hospital.

I buy suppliments now and then for all of them just to see how to improve their health.

My eldest sister tho is over 40 years, she is the strongest person I know on earth despite being a chronic sickle cell patient.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Genotype Wahala, Share Your Experience by PrimadonnaO(f): 3:25pm On Mar 13, 2022
NaBanga:
If you can pay for IVF, you don't need to worry about genotype. The IVF physician can do genetic testing on the embryos before implanting them in your wife's uterus. You can completely avoid any offspring with SS.

The specific procedure is called pre-implantation genetic diagnosis.

There's another procedure called Chorionic Villi Testing... but this one could lead to an actual evacuation if the foetus turns out to be SS.

So option one is the better option.

1 Like

Re: Genotype Wahala, Share Your Experience by ubee(m): 3:26pm On Mar 13, 2022
Once you are AS there are no ifs or buts.
You must establish that any woman you are planning to procreate with is of AA genotype.

If you have seen families with a Sickler, or heard and read stories of what they go through, you will realize that the pairing of two AS partners is a risk that should never even be contemplated.
No matter how much you are attracted to each other, once you discover that you there is no AA partner in the pairing, then end any thoughts of getting pregnant immediately.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Genotype Wahala, Share Your Experience by PrimadonnaO(f): 3:27pm On Mar 13, 2022
heykims:

See the way u just mentioned IVF with genetic testing.
Something that cost at least 3 million naira and success not even 100% guaranteed.

Are there 100% guarantees with anything in this life?

The procedure has high chances of success so long as couple is healthy.

1 Like

Re: Genotype Wahala, Share Your Experience by PrimadonnaO(f): 3:29pm On Mar 13, 2022
folake4u:
Had to end things with someone when I discovered he was AS.
It was really painful but I CANNOT risk it.

Moving forward, when I go out on dates, I subtly ask the genotype question.

I don't subtly ask.

Infact, after asking, and it looks like a relationship I may want to pursue, you'll have to go get tested at a reputable centre.

2 Likes

Re: Genotype Wahala, Share Your Experience by PrimadonnaO(f): 3:32pm On Mar 13, 2022
bosschinalu:
Please Nlanders, Can AC and AS give birth to SS?

No.

But possibly SC.

2 Likes

Re: Genotype Wahala, Share Your Experience by ubee(m): 3:33pm On Mar 13, 2022
So sorry to know what you've gone through. I have been telling people it not a risk that should even be contemplated.
Once you are not of AA genotype, then you must ensure that any partner you are mingling with or could get pregnant with, must be AA.

There are countless sorrowful and heartbreaking stories of SS individuals dying tragically.
And one of the sad things about the disease is that sometimes families would struggle and manage to nurse the patient to clock late thirties or early forties, only to lose them after forty.
It's sad.
OCHKESTINE:
My parents are both AS. Married in the 70s.
They had 10 kids, fortunately I happen to be the only AA genotype among all 10.

Lost 6 to crisis that comes with being SS genotype.
Have three SS genotype remaining.

I have watched 6 of my siblings die. Please don't do that to any of ur kids.

Whenever I receive a call from home, I anticipate getting the news that something bad has happened.

My entire life has been like that. Always get calls to rush down to the hospital or come take one to the hospital.

I buy suppliments now and then for all of them just to see how to improve their health.

My eldest sister tho is over 40 years, she is the strongest person I know on earth despite being a chronic sickle cell patient.

2 Likes

Re: Genotype Wahala, Share Your Experience by PrimadonnaO(f): 3:36pm On Mar 13, 2022
ubee:
The incompetence of any lab that would give someone a wrong genotype result is one that shouldn't go unpunished.
In top standard societies where the law courts are well run and credible you can lay claims for damages against them if you are willing to make them pay.

If I decide to lay claims on hospitals that have given me wrong genotype test results, heaven knows I'll be rich.

I still have some of those test results.

But I feel strongly there's a science to this genotype thing that is yet to be unravelled.

In about seven years since I've started doing genotype testing, I've received all the possible results except SS.

2 Likes

Re: Genotype Wahala, Share Your Experience by akinade28(f): 3:37pm On Mar 13, 2022
Claire104:
I'm AS and my husband used to be AA so we thought.. our 2yr old became sick last month and we had to do genotype and we discovered that he is SS. We have 2 kids already and we decided to genotype for everyone again...
I'm AS,my husband is AS, first child is SS and second child is AS.
Try and do your genotype in different places o before you get married.
I have heard at least four couple experience this wrong genotype testing, only to discover they were both AS when one of the children fell very sick. It is quite unfortunately. I pray God give you the strength( both emotional and financial) needed to take care of your children

4 Likes

Re: Genotype Wahala, Share Your Experience by ubee(m): 3:37pm On Mar 13, 2022
Are you trying to be mockingly funny or you really see no wrong in the question? grin
PrimadonnaO:

No.

But possibly SC.
Re: Genotype Wahala, Share Your Experience by NaBanga: 3:38pm On Mar 13, 2022
aribisala0:
How much does it cost?

I do not know how much it cost in Nigeria, as I am not there at this time. Try contacting Nordica Fertility Center in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Genotype Wahala, Share Your Experience by PrimadonnaO(f): 3:38pm On Mar 13, 2022
ubee:
Are you trying to be mockingly funny or you really see no wrong in the question? grin

AC and AS can't have SS kids.

But they may have an SC kid.

2 Likes

Re: Genotype Wahala, Share Your Experience by PrimadonnaO(f): 3:39pm On Mar 13, 2022
NaBanga:

I do not know how much it cost in Nigeria, as I am not there at this time. Try contacting Nordica Fertility Center in Lagos.

Or the Sickle Cell Centre in Lagos.

@NaBanga
Re: Genotype Wahala, Share Your Experience by folake4u(f): 3:43pm On Mar 13, 2022
PrimadonnaO:

I don't subtly ask.

Infact, after asking, and it looks like a relationship I may want to pursue, you'll have to go get tested at a reputable centre.

Hmm fair enough.

This genotype wahala has really cost me some good people sha. undecided

1 Like

Re: Genotype Wahala, Share Your Experience by ubee(m): 3:45pm On Mar 13, 2022
Exactly what i wanted to tell her. You don't subtly ask. There is no trickery or pretense involved.
Everyone knows about the dangers involved with pairing with the wrong genotype.
All my dates in my entire dating life, i almost always asked about their genotype the first day they visited my apartment.

It's not a risk that should be taken.
PrimadonnaO:

I don't subtly ask.

Re: Genotype Wahala, Share Your Experience by Jayzx: 3:45pm On Mar 13, 2022
folake4u:

Hmm fair enough.

Not only you. She cried for a whole week, strong guy like me could not hold my tears too. We both cried like babies. I pray I see someone like her again.

1 Like

Re: Genotype Wahala, Share Your Experience by Jayzx: 3:46pm On Mar 13, 2022
But science could have find something to end this AS issues start from the costly IvF and other methods

1 Like

Re: Genotype Wahala, Share Your Experience by folake4u(f): 3:48pm On Mar 13, 2022
Jayzx:

Not only you. She cried for a whole week, strong guy like me could not hold my tears too. We both cried like babies. I pray I see someone like her again.

Aww that's really painful.
I can imagine. embarassed

I really pray you find another person.
Re: Genotype Wahala, Share Your Experience by folake4u(f): 3:52pm On Mar 13, 2022
ubee:
Exactly what i wanted to tell her. You don't subtly ask. There is no trickery or pretense involved.
All my dates in my entire dating life, i almost always asked about their genotype the first day they visited my apartment.

I quite understand your point clearly and I know the implications of having SS children.

About the "subtle" asking, some people find it offensive when you ask them about their genotype. I don't know why. But I've seen it play out a couple of times.

1 Like

Re: Genotype Wahala, Share Your Experience by Deegee7788: 3:53pm On Mar 13, 2022
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Trust me, I had a lot as a bachelor.

We all know my type is rare;

Being an AA, O+, HIV-, cute-faced, smart brained, big preek, sweet-tongued, comfortable pursed, relatively fulfilled weirdo with a dual-nationality, I was the object of many ladies' cravings as they considered me the true epitome of the term 'husband material'.

NwaAmaikpe had to device a plan to avoid being trapped by those thirsty broads.
I'd date mostly A.S genotyped girls, and when they start getting comfortable, I'd tell them I was A.S all the while but was scared to tell them out of fear I'd lose them.
Depending on the temperament of the lady, I could say I just found out the previous day.

The same mumu girls will be the ones counselling me on how the future of our relationship was bleak for the sake of our kids.

I'd grudgingly accept their verdict that we couldn't get married but that didn't stop the kpekus from being served, Some even after their marriages because I was their soulmate, while their husband was just a partner.

I happened to see one many many years ago with her toddler at a busstop waiting for a ride, I picked them up and while introducing me to her son, she said. "that could have been your daddy but fate said no", I nodded.

If only the mumu knew.

Na so another person go dey serve ur wife too. Double dose.... Ur eye go clear
Re: Genotype Wahala, Share Your Experience by PrimadonnaO(f): 3:57pm On Mar 13, 2022
folake4u:

Hmm fair enough.

I can relate to the wahala all too well.
Re: Genotype Wahala, Share Your Experience by akinade28(f): 3:57pm On Mar 13, 2022
Op, I have been in this kind of scenerio twice now, though I never dated them but I really liked them. The first one happened 6 years ago, we are both not married till now. He will tell me " why are all the good girls I meet AS, and the crazy ones are AA?. AA girls have broken his heart several times.
This choice of marriage partner can be hard for some people. Those that got compatible spouses ( medical, physical, behavioral, spiritual, mental) easily don't know how lucky they are.
Imagine someone on this thread saying that he doesn't want to marry an AS, because they are all AA in his family and he wants to keep his family bloodline pure, as if AS individual chose the sickle cell genes. What a sickening mentality!

6 Likes

Re: Genotype Wahala, Share Your Experience by PrimadonnaO(f): 3:58pm On Mar 13, 2022
ubee:

No trickery, pretense, or anything to be shy about.

Let there be complete clarity
Re: Genotype Wahala, Share Your Experience by folake4u(f): 3:59pm On Mar 13, 2022
PrimadonnaO:

I can relate to the wahala all too well.

Honestly speaking. Very sad something.

1 Like

Re: Genotype Wahala, Share Your Experience by Rainbow219(m): 4:00pm On Mar 13, 2022
Plz how much did u pay for test
JONNYSPUTE:
.... During our registration in year one back then,the school lab after taking my samples gave me my result and they wrote AS. Ooh,Naso I believe say I be As genotype and anytime I get into a relationship my first question to the lady will be what's your genotype because I no wan hear story.

Till I graduated,I had this notion that I'm an AS carrier. Not until one day I fell sick and in the cause of doing a malaria test,I asked them to also check for my genotype.

Alas,the result came out AA.I told them is not correct. Had to go to 3 different labs and it still came out same AA in all.

I said so this people just make me dey cut liver dey search for AA lady.

It wasn't a nice experience then.
Re: Genotype Wahala, Share Your Experience by Dada4me: 4:00pm On Mar 13, 2022
Know your genotype.
I'm AA with blood group A+

2 Likes

Re: Genotype Wahala, Share Your Experience by JONNYSPUTE(m): 4:02pm On Mar 13, 2022
Rainbow219:
Plz how much did u pay for test
... Genotype test is not expensive. Then I think I paid like #500 naira per test.
Re: Genotype Wahala, Share Your Experience by Dada4me: 4:05pm On Mar 13, 2022
Jayzx:
But science could have find something to end this AS issues start from the costly IvF and other methods

The White will hoard the technology if they have it, and release it to Africa when the method is about to go obsolete. It is a fact.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What Is Stopping The White From Getting The Cure For HIV/AIDS? / Siamese Twins Die Months After Delivery In Katsina. Photos / Please What Is This Growth?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.