Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,234 members, 7,829,424 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:37 AM

Jehovah's Witness Wife Rejected Blood Transfusion For Her Husband & He Died - Health (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Jehovah's Witness Wife Rejected Blood Transfusion For Her Husband & He Died (50955 Views)

Say No To That Blood Transfusion!!! I Know Something That Can Help You. DM Now. / Lagos Govt, Jehovah’s Witnesses Clash Over Blood Transfusion For Baby (PHOTOS) / Blood Transfusion: LASG Rescues Baby From Jehovah Witness Parents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jehovah's Witness Wife Rejected Blood Transfusion For Her Husband & He Died by thesicilian: 7:20pm On Mar 15, 2022
Lekan239:
I am very confident that if the Jehovah witness general oversear is in a position of death or take blood transfusion, he will definitely take blood transfusion codedly.

Nobody wan die
Exactly. That's what many of them do
Re: Jehovah's Witness Wife Rejected Blood Transfusion For Her Husband & He Died by Kevinsamba: 7:21pm On Mar 15, 2022
Where in that scene did they mention Jehovah's witnesses or do you just want to be ...........
Because one thing I'm sure of is that Jehovah's witnesses would never act in such manner that displeases God ie,( staying in a house surrounded by fire)
LordIsaac:
This Jehovah witness sef. I saw the scene of one in the movie, "Designated Survivor," and I shuddered at the extremities of man's belief.

1 Like

Re: Jehovah's Witness Wife Rejected Blood Transfusion For Her Husband & He Died by UMUAZEE: 7:22pm On Mar 15, 2022
Kobojunkiee:
Why are you still going on about abeg? You lied earlier about these things now you are attempting to spin it as if the forms no dey. Abeg land or fly past! undecided

Consent forms are real everywhere. Simple! undecided

abeg the topic was never about existence of consent forms but about wether the woman was legally right to refuse blood given to her husband. My opinion is doctors here will not ask her consent to give the man blood when it was needed to save his life.. na you dey drift to wether consent forms exists.

and yes consent forms are real and everybody knows that.. but probably you don't know the actual purpose why the consent form exist and who it protects.
Re: Jehovah's Witness Wife Rejected Blood Transfusion For Her Husband & He Died by TheManOfTheYear: 7:22pm On Mar 15, 2022
Help2020:

The only issue I have with that religion is the issue of blood transfusion. Aside that they are almost perfect. Easy going and they are the kindest people on earth. So I wonder why you had to run on finding out one is Jehovah's witness.
Do you know they don't sing national anthems and serve in militaries?
Re: Jehovah's Witness Wife Rejected Blood Transfusion For Her Husband & He Died by Kevinsamba: 7:23pm On Mar 15, 2022
Liaaaar
You know not the full facts of the case, but you've come here to spill lies.
Desist from it.
longetivity:
That is how one Jehovah witness woman died one time in my area because she didn't go to the hospital for treatment when she was seriously sick. Bunch of ignorant mfs

1 Like

Re: Jehovah's Witness Wife Rejected Blood Transfusion For Her Husband & He Died by Kobojunkiee: 7:25pm On Mar 15, 2022
UMUAZEE:
abeg the topic was never about existence of consent forms but about wether the woman was legally right to refuse blood given to her husband. My opinion is doctors here will not ask her consent to give the man blood when it was needed to save his life.. na you dey drift to wether consent forms exists.

and yes consent forms are real and everybody knows that.. but probably you don't know the actual purpose why the consent form exist and who it protects.
Um... you are still not making any sense. undecided

Do you know what the word consent means? undecided

If doctors could go ahead and do pretty much what they wanted, why would they have need to ask your consent in the first place? undecided

1 Like

Re: Jehovah's Witness Wife Rejected Blood Transfusion For Her Husband & He Died by Kevinsamba: 7:26pm On Mar 15, 2022
Why should she be facing police questioning in the first place?
Ishilove:

Grieving over the death of her husband, and now facing police matter again. This decision of hers will haunt her for the rest of her life.
Re: Jehovah's Witness Wife Rejected Blood Transfusion For Her Husband & He Died by KosiGee(m): 7:32pm On Mar 15, 2022
Pecoleee345:

I wish you are here now to defend her ooooo.....she really needs someone like you.

Hell just broke loose

Did the doctors discuss the possibility of transfusing blood to the man before the operation?
Re: Jehovah's Witness Wife Rejected Blood Transfusion For Her Husband & He Died by Kelvin3476: 7:34pm On Mar 15, 2022
Men always sacrifice for women at their expense but women don't and won't risk anything for men.
Tueeh
Re: Jehovah's Witness Wife Rejected Blood Transfusion For Her Husband & He Died by dannex4adx(m): 7:34pm On Mar 15, 2022
Kobojunkiee:
The woman was married to the man at the time of his death, so there is technically nothing wrong with what she did. undecided

Being in charge of the bills does not give one legal guardianship so the in-laws are wrong in assuming they should have been consulted on the matter. So the in-laws should probably work on accepting their loss and moving on from this. undecided

If you were to be the in-law, will you be saying this?
Re: Jehovah's Witness Wife Rejected Blood Transfusion For Her Husband & He Died by Dnockeror333(m): 7:35pm On Mar 15, 2022
Would he not die before?

Why must you take what belongs to another person and add it to your own so as to prolong your life? Is it not better to be renewed than to fear and wait behind?

What is this life that we hold too dear?

Even though she is Jehovah 'Wilting' or not, she is been humane to not desire or lust for what does not belongs to him.

1 Like

Re: Jehovah's Witness Wife Rejected Blood Transfusion For Her Husband & He Died by alfsalami: 7:36pm On Mar 15, 2022
We are getting everything twisted , wife or husband is secondary , the parents who invested everything on a child and nurture to where one partner finds him / her good enough cannot take the back sit because like in this case now , life moved on , the wife will switch to another oartnrrt while the parents remain the loser
Re: Jehovah's Witness Wife Rejected Blood Transfusion For Her Husband & He Died by Dnockeror333(m): 7:37pm On Mar 15, 2022
thesicilian:

Exactly. That's what many of them do

Nobody wan die ko? Then that is fear! Death (being renewed) is better than continues living on the organ/blood of someone else.

1 Like

Re: Jehovah's Witness Wife Rejected Blood Transfusion For Her Husband & He Died by Kobojunkiee: 7:39pm On Mar 15, 2022
dannex4adx:
Can't you folks get past your emotional bullsheet when trying to argue issues? undecided

This is nairaland not your family center. Take these ad populum where they best fit abeg! undecided

1 Like

Re: Jehovah's Witness Wife Rejected Blood Transfusion For Her Husband & He Died by KosiGee(m): 7:42pm On Mar 15, 2022
Pecoleee345:

The doctors had no fault oooo.....it was after the surgery they found out he is a JW infact they said if they knew earlier they won't have done the surgery...The top consultant that did the surgery was really angry.

…In that case, hospital has a blame. Proper checks (Time out) was not carried out before the procedure.

Case should be discussed during team brief… questions should be asked if there might be any concerns regarding the surgery…blood transfusion, medications, allergies if known. Next of kin/carer should be notified.

The surgeon and the team didn’t do their job.

2 Likes

Re: Jehovah's Witness Wife Rejected Blood Transfusion For Her Husband & He Died by Aflix(m): 7:43pm On Mar 15, 2022
DrFunmisticGlow:
actually yes.

May his soul rest in peace.

A wife is usually next of kin, meaning she can take decisions when the husband is unable to.
Especially if the man was of the same faith.

Many women have died in pregnancy because they are Jehovah witnesses and no one bats an eyelash, now the opposite has happened and the front page will not let us have peace

That's why I don't like dealing with them in the pregnancy setting.
The least she could have done was to inform his family member. This is a case of life and death undecided
Re: Jehovah's Witness Wife Rejected Blood Transfusion For Her Husband & He Died by KosiGee(m): 7:44pm On Mar 15, 2022
dannex4adx:

Where were the in-laws when their son joined Jehova Witness?

1 Like

Re: Jehovah's Witness Wife Rejected Blood Transfusion For Her Husband & He Died by deebrownneymar: 7:45pm On Mar 15, 2022
The wife did the right thing

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jehovah's Witness Wife Rejected Blood Transfusion For Her Husband & He Died by jikins(m): 7:46pm On Mar 15, 2022
descartes400:

The Husband has no blame on this given he was not in a state to give an informed consent regarding his health after the surgery.

This put the physician in an extremely problematic situation: failure to act may lead to criminal charges of negligence or even, should the patient die, of culpable homicide; intervention, on the other hand, could lead to criminal charges of trespass against physical integrity or to claims for damages by the patient for violation of the right to self-determination.

However, how then do we deal with a situation where the non-intervention by a doctor leads to patient death? Therefore I agree with you that the wife and doctor are culpable. The consent form signed be the wife does not excuse the doctor. This is because although ethical/moral indications (such as the examples just described) would seem to consider a patient’s dissent an insurmountable obstacle, in clinical practice and in emergency situations where the patient is unconscious, the prevailing interpretation is that intervention (in the case in point, a blood transfusion) is not only legitimate but right and proper

I listed the below to widen our perspective with regard to case in point.

Laws aren't the same everywhere. Even in the US self a doctor won't be able to do anything in a case like this. As a doctor you can't go against the will of your patients. Except you nor like your licence. If the patient is indisposed, the next of kin or who ever the patient puts in charge of their health matters is infact speaking for the patients and you can't go against it.

That it is permissible in other countries to circumvent this has no bearing on Nigeria where it is not. If you have a problem with it, lobby your local house of rep or senator to push a bill to change this. But to try to say the doctors are culpable when they are following the rules of the land, by stating that's not the rules elsewhere holds no water.

2 Likes

Re: Jehovah's Witness Wife Rejected Blood Transfusion For Her Husband & He Died by Aflix(m): 7:48pm On Mar 15, 2022
Kobojunkiee:
Interesting! So let's assume the woman had been the one in need of blood here, you think the man wouldn't have done exactly the same? undecided

Cut the bull.. these people do the same to their own children so don't now pretend this isn't normal for JWs. undecided
The least she could have done was to inform the family member. It’s common sense as she’s not the only person that is interested in the wellbeing of the man. Even in the so called saner climes, the family of the bereaved would have grudges in them.

1 Like

Re: Jehovah's Witness Wife Rejected Blood Transfusion For Her Husband & He Died by ajl: 7:48pm On Mar 15, 2022
She ought to be sued. Especially because it was the family and not her that was paying the hospital bill. This is what religion is doing to many Nigerians. That's how my younger brother who practices Islam refused to show up at a remembrance thanksgiving for our late dad. His claim is that his type of religion doesn't allow it. He probably joined an Islamic sect in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Jehovah's Witness Wife Rejected Blood Transfusion For Her Husband & He Died by olibeans: 7:48pm On Mar 15, 2022
If the in-laws are footing the hospital bills, I see no reason why the hospital should seek the wife's consent to get blood.

The hospital would've applied to a blood bank and have the prototype of the patient examined and received.

The hospital should bear responsibility as well...
Re: Jehovah's Witness Wife Rejected Blood Transfusion For Her Husband & He Died by Kobojunkiee: 7:48pm On Mar 15, 2022
foolbuster:

Bullshit, where is the signed document.
Like I said... ignorance is never bliss undecided

https://wol.jw.org/asf/wol/d/r428/lp-aus/1102017532

1 Like

Re: Jehovah's Witness Wife Rejected Blood Transfusion For Her Husband & He Died by sammhi(m): 7:49pm On Mar 15, 2022
Pecoleee345:
Should A Wife Be Allowed To Take A Big Decision Without Informing Her In-law?

Good afternoon everybody.i will make this short as possible.

A friend of mine just died in luth (cause of that was anemia). He was operated upon and they told his wife to get blood (2 r.o) for transfusion after the procedure but due to being a jehova witness she decided not to get the blood (jehova witness don't take blood,is against there faith).

She had a back and forth about the blood with the doctors and was asked to sign incase anything happen which she sign without the husband family knowledge....it was only her and her fellow jehova witness that took the decision.

He passed away this midnight, she called her in-law to inform them and I also got the information from the deceased younger brother.

On getting here the family found out the surgery was successful but he died of anemia, the doctors told them it was the wife decision not to get him blood against there prescriptions and infact she signed taking responsibility if anything happens.

A serious fight is happening here, the family are claiming she killed there son which I totally agree to as well.

So this my question, should a wife be allowed to take such a big decision without informing the husband family first.

Note; it was her in-laws that were paying the hospital bills.
Nigerian doctors are often very disinterested when a JW says he won't accept blood . As a doctor myself , this report has many loophole. If they plan to do surgery on the man, the first thing is to request for blood before you go into the operating theatre. You can't take a patient for surgery without request for blood donation . If the man refuse or the wife refuse ,the attending LuTh doctor should have referred the man to a hospital of their choice for the surgery .
So where all these done ? How come surgery was done when no blood was available before the surgery.
There are hospitals in Lagos who treat JW patients without blood
Secondly , there are options or alternative to blood transfusion....blood transfusion itself has its own risk and there is need to respect people belief . In addition and more importantly, what else was done to this patient or just because the wife refuse blood transfusion they just abandon the patient to himself to die just to prove a point. That would amount to gross professional negligence.
As a doctor , I have seen many JW who refuse blood transfusion and still had successful surgeries or treatment and alive till date.
Well, since this is a journalist report and it's not a first hand information from hospital , I reserve some of.my comments

4 Likes

Re: Jehovah's Witness Wife Rejected Blood Transfusion For Her Husband & He Died by Kobojunkiee: 7:50pm On Mar 15, 2022
Aflix:
The least she could have done was to inform the family member. It’s common sense as she’s not the only person that is interested in the wellbeing of the man. Even in the so called saner climes, the family of the bereaved would have grudges in them.
You mean she should have informed them that she refused consent to blood transfusion, something l that I now learn all JWs sign? Or that the man most likely signed a DPA refusing blood transfusion as a JW? undecided

Re: Jehovah's Witness Wife Rejected Blood Transfusion For Her Husband & He Died by Aflix(m): 7:51pm On Mar 15, 2022
Mccullum:
THE WIDOW'S UNILATERAL DECISION ON THE LIFE OF HER HUSBAND, SON TO HIS PARENT, BROTHER TO HIS SIBLINGS, UNCLE TO HIS COUSINS AND FATHER TO HIS CHILDREN WAS VERY BAD.

CONSULTATION AND DELIBERATION WITH FAMILY MEMBERS WOULD HAVE SAVE THE CHAOS AND CONFUSION IN THE FAMILY NOW.

THAT MAN DIDN'T BELONG TO HER ALONE, HE BELONG TO HIS FAMILY BEFORE KNOWING HIS WIFE.

VERY BAD DECISION, EVEN IF THE HUSBAND FAMILY MEMBERS ARE PAGANS, SHE SUPPOSE TO INFORM THEM BEFORE MAKING SUCH CRITICAL DECISION. IT'S INTOLERABLE ACT, POSERITY WON'T FORGIVE HER WITHIN THE DECEASE FAMILY.

Exactly!! That’s the least she should have done. But she thought it wise to consult are Jw members. The woman Bleep up big time.
Re: Jehovah's Witness Wife Rejected Blood Transfusion For Her Husband & He Died by Aflix(m): 7:54pm On Mar 15, 2022
Kobojunkiee:
You mean she should have informed them that she refused consent to blood transfusion, something l that I now learn all JWs sign? Or that the man most likely signed a DPA refusing blood transfusion as a JW? undecided

Since she discussed it with her JW members, she shouldn’t have any issue discussing it with his FAMILY. Which probably include Father and mother. It’s just COMMON SENSE!

1 Like

Re: Jehovah's Witness Wife Rejected Blood Transfusion For Her Husband & He Died by Aflix(m): 7:55pm On Mar 15, 2022
clericuzzio:

So will she be the only one to bury him. Won't the husband's family be involved?
Help me ask her ooo. I believe she probably called the family concerning bills.
Re: Jehovah's Witness Wife Rejected Blood Transfusion For Her Husband & He Died by prophetfire: 7:57pm On Mar 15, 2022
Kobojunkiee:
The woman was married to the man at the time of his death, so there is technically nothing wrong with what she did. undecided

Being in charge of the bills does not give one legal guardianship so the in-laws are wrong in assuming they should have been consulted on the matter. So the in-laws should probably work on accepting their loss and moving on from this. undecided
. So I should be paying bills while you take life threatening decisions without consulting me. Madness and foolishness at it's peak.
They should press charges at once. It's unlawful.
Re: Jehovah's Witness Wife Rejected Blood Transfusion For Her Husband & He Died by jikins(m): 8:00pm On Mar 15, 2022
Lexusgs430:

I said sane societies and judge's have overuled many cases ...........

Enter Google and fill that void . . ......

Most of the times those decisions are on minors not full grown individuals. And for the few you see that the court overruled, there are many more that they didn't. Each case is different. In a case like this there's hardly anything the judge can do because the man himself is a jehovah witness, if he wasn't then chance they.

1 Like

Re: Jehovah's Witness Wife Rejected Blood Transfusion For Her Husband & He Died by prophetfire: 8:00pm On Mar 15, 2022
Kobojunkiee:
Marriage law in Nigeria. undecided
. Which marriage law mr.man. can you cite the relevant sections of the said marriage laws?
It's dumb and ignorant fellows like you that go about leading illiterate village women astray, claiming to be educated.
Re: Jehovah's Witness Wife Rejected Blood Transfusion For Her Husband & He Died by Kobojunkiee: 8:03pm On Mar 15, 2022
Aflix:
Since she discussed it with her JW members, she shouldn’t have any issue discussing it with his FAMILY. Which probably include Father and mother. It’s just COMMON SENSE!
Discussed what exactly with her JW members? undecided

The man was a JW and liked signed a DPA refusing blood transfusions. Was the wife somehow supposed to ignore her husband's wishes or what? undecided

We are making a lot of assumptions here so let's be careful. He was taken in for an emergency surgery so she signed the forms to get him in does not mean she had time to call the family in or something before all of this. Also, since the man was JW, he should have made his own family understand these things ahead of time. undecided

Think in terms of the Do-not-resucitate consents or the Organ-Donor ID we have here in the state. Does calling the family in change anything of what has already been willled? undecided

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (21) (Reply)

38 New Cases Of COVID-19 Reported, Total 665 , Discharged 188 , Deaths 22 / How To Conceive A Baby Boy / Scary Photos Of Man With Half Face After Cancerous Tumors.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.