Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,338 members, 7,811,980 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:23 AM

Thanks To Russia, The Ukrainian Army Has More Tanks Now Than When The War Began - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Thanks To Russia, The Ukrainian Army Has More Tanks Now Than When The War Began (48878 Views)

Larry C. Johnson: “the Ukrainian Army Has Been Defeated. What’s Left Is Mop-up” / Ukrainian Troops Destroy Russian Convoy Of Tanks / Bow To Russia, The Most Powerful Military On Earth [PHOTOS] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thanks To Russia, The Ukrainian Army Has More Tanks Now Than When The War Began by Igbofam: 7:08am On Mar 25, 2022
The Ukrainian Army Has More Tanks Now Than When The War Began—Because It Keeps Capturing Them From Russia

Ukraine has lost at least 74 tanks—destroyed or captured—since Russia widened its war on the country starting the night of Feb. 23.

But Ukraine has captured at least 117 Russian tanks, according to open-source-intelligence analysts who scrutinize photos and videos on social media.

In other words, the Ukrainian army might actually have more tanks now than a month ago—all without building a single brand-new tank or pulling some older vehicle out of storage.

The Russians meanwhile have captured at least 37 Ukrainian tanks—a sum inadequate to compensate for the roughly 274 tanks[/b] it is believed to have lost to all causes.

The disparity in captured tanks speaks to Russia’s lack of preparation for a high-intensity war against a determined foe. But it also speaks to the advantages any defender possesses over any attacker.

Russia must project forces into Ukraine scores or hundreds of miles, extending poorly-protected supply lines and risking front-line units running out of ammunition and fuel. Many of those tanks the Ukrainians have seized were just sitting there, out of gas, their crews having fled.

The Ukrainian army meanwhile enjoys the advantage of “interior lines.” That is, its forces fight close to major cities and their bases. The Ukrainians’ supply lines are contained inside their own defensive perimeter rather than strung out along unguarded highways.

All that is to say, Ukrainian tanks are way less likely to run out of fuel in the middle of the war zone.

Those 117 tanks Ukraine has captured are just the ones analysts visually can confirm. The actual total almost certainly is much higher. Videos of Ukrainian farmers towing abandoned Russian vehicles have become symbols of Ukraine’s resistance.

How many of the seized tanks and other vehicles are fit for further use is hard to confirm. There are lots of videos of Russian tanks under tow. There are far fewer showing those same tanks back in action in Ukrainian colors.

But it helps that Ukraine uses many of the same tanks that Russia does. The Ukrainian army’s main tank, the T-64, no longer is in active use in the Russian army. But the Ukrainians also operate at least two models that the Russians still use, too—the T-72 and the T-80.

The T-80 actually is an evolution of the T-64, itself one of the most sophisticated tanks Soviet industry ever produced. The T-72, by contrast is a simpler, cheaper tank—one suitable to mass-production and easy support in the field. It’s not for no reason that Ukraine generally assigns its T-72s to reserve formations.

In any event, there aren’t many captured Russian tanks Ukraine can’t use in some capacity. The question is how quickly Kyiv’s army can take stock of a vehicle its troops—or civilians—have seized, repair any damage, fuel it up, restock its ammo and assign it to a crew with the right training.

That can happen in a matter of days, if videos depicting ex-Russian T-72s and T-80s in combat on the Ukrainian side are any indication. Russia attacked on Feb. 23. No later than March 11, former Russian tanks were shooting back ... at the Russians.

The steady transfer to Ukraine, via captures, of hundreds upon hundreds of tanks, fighting vehicles, artillery, air-defense systems and trucks underlines the challenge Russia faces in achieving any of its strategic objectives in Ukraine.

The Kremlin realistically can’t kill its way to victory. Not as long as Ukraine, population 44 million, possesses reserves of human capital—and as long as the Ukrainians remain united in the defense of their homeland.

[b]It’s telling that, at the same time Russia was begging Syria for a thousand mercenaries last week, Ukraine was mobilizing reserve echelons numbering 150,000 fresh troops

Those reservists probably aren’t hurting for equipment. Many of them will fall in on some ex-Russian T-72, scrubbed clean of any evidence of its old crew and sporting freshly painted Ukrainian insignia.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2022/03/24/the-ukrainian-army-has-captured-enough-russian-tanks-to-make-good-all-its-own-losses-and-then-some/amp/

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thanks To Russia, The Ukrainian Army Has More Tanks Now Than When The War Began by FERNANDEZISBACK: 7:08am On Mar 25, 2022
It's a gift from Putin's hunters.. grin
Most of them abadoned their vehicle due to gas shortage and the rest... undecided

It's a shame on Putin's puppet that the same army(Russia) that everyone believe could stand USA is nothing but an overhyped nonsense..this war really exposed Putin's weakness..
Poor coordination..conscripted 19 year old kids driving 1970s vehicles with few spare parts...
Putin expected Ukraine to disarm and surrender..something that ain't gonna happen.. grin

319 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Thanks To Russia, The Ukrainian Army Has More Tanks Now Than When The War Began by MadamVanessa(f): 7:10am On Mar 25, 2022
shocked

Let me be very candid, I never believed that Ukraine can be this powerful at Initial stage of the war. Even though I supported them, I was still doubting their ability to withstand Russia because I believe all the Russia hyped I read online that Russia have this , Russia have that, they're this and they're that, little did I know that all that was just a mere lies and propaganda done by Putin's puppet.

Russia is nothing believe me.

Putin is overrated, this war has really exposed who Putin really is.

313 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Thanks To Russia, The Ukrainian Army Has More Tanks Now Than When The War Began by ignis: 7:11am On Mar 25, 2022
Glory to God

20 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Thanks To Russia, The Ukrainian Army Has More Tanks Now Than When The War Began by luluosas(m): 7:14am On Mar 25, 2022
Hehehe. Will Putin accept his defeat already?

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thanks To Russia, The Ukrainian Army Has More Tanks Now Than When The War Began by Administration1: 7:14am On Mar 25, 2022
Lol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Thanks To Russia, The Ukrainian Army Has More Tanks Now Than When The War Began by Igbofam: 7:21am On Mar 25, 2022
MadamVanessa:
shocked

Let me be very candid, I never believed that Ukraine can be this powerful at Initial stage of the war. Even though I supported them, I was still doubting their ability to withstand Russia because I believe all the Russia hyped I read online that Russia have this , Russia have that, they're this and they're that, little did I know that all that was just a mere lies and propaganda done by Putin's puppet.

Putin can basically only brag with long range missiles but when it comes to preparedness, manpower skill and planning he is zero.

This war has really exposed him and he must be hurting real bad behind the scenes which was why he sacked 1000 of his closest aides and why many are afraid that he may out of frustration just push go all out and release biological or nuclear weapons against Ukraine or a NATO country just to end it all.

Afterall he once said and I quote "There can be no world if there is no Russia" in other words if Russia goes down so will the entire world with it. He is ready to risk it all just to save face

100 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Thanks To Russia, The Ukrainian Army Has More Tanks Now Than When The War Began by Igbofam: 7:23am On Mar 25, 2022
FERNANDEZISBACK:
It's a gift from Putin's hunters.. grin
Most of them abadoned their vehicle due to gas shortage and the rest... undecided

It's a shame on Putin's puppet that the same army(Russia) that everyone believe could stand USA is nothing but an overhyped nonsense..this war really exposed Putin's weakness..
Poor coordination..conscripted 19 year old kids driving 1970s vehicles with few spare parts...
Putin expected Ukraine to disarm and surrender..something that ain't gonna happen.. grin

Christmas came early in Ukraine grin

Thank you Santa Putin cheesy

96 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Thanks To Russia, The Ukrainian Army Has More Tanks Now Than When The War Began by FERNANDEZISBACK: 7:25am On Mar 25, 2022
Igbofam:

Haha santa Putin sound so hilarious..it's gonna be a great party..I see vodka and medovukha..
Let's drink to stupor..let's celebrate the downfall of Putin.. grin skol..

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thanks To Russia, The Ukrainian Army Has More Tanks Now Than When The War Began by MadamVanessa(f): 7:28am On Mar 25, 2022
FERNANDEZISBACK:

Haha santa Putin sound so hilarious..it's gonna be a great party..I see vodka and medovukha..
Let's drink to stupor..let's celebrate the downfall of Putin.. grin skol..

grin

grin

Make Putin no catch u like dis o grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thanks To Russia, The Ukrainian Army Has More Tanks Now Than When The War Began by gambojimeta: 7:37am On Mar 25, 2022
And Europe is now very much United.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thanks To Russia, The Ukrainian Army Has More Tanks Now Than When The War Began by EMAXIM(m): 7:43am On Mar 25, 2022
Meanwhile, Mariupol has fallen.

Nairaland comedians

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Thanks To Russia, The Ukrainian Army Has More Tanks Now Than When The War Began by FERNANDEZISBACK: 7:54am On Mar 25, 2022
EMAXIM:

Nairaland comedians
Go and fall it now.. grin

74 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thanks To Russia, The Ukrainian Army Has More Tanks Now Than When The War Began by greymiles: 7:58am On Mar 25, 2022
You’re here celebrating tanks
While thousands of Ukrainian lives has been lost

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Thanks To Russia, The Ukrainian Army Has More Tanks Now Than When The War Began by greymiles: 8:00am On Mar 25, 2022
Because of NATO membership, you choose a decision that will take thousands of your citizen life and permanently destroy their properties

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Thanks To Russia, The Ukrainian Army Has More Tanks Now Than When The War Began by Igbofam: 8:02am On Mar 25, 2022
greymiles:
You’re here celebrating tanks
While thousands of UkrainianRUSSIAN lives has been lost

Corrected! And as an addendum, Ukrainian lives have been lost at the hand of a mad man called LILIPutin. This is beyond a war for Ukraine. They are fighting for their Homeland and their sovereignty. Yes Tanks can and will be celebrated especially since their usage would result to the deaths of thousands more Russians

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thanks To Russia, The Ukrainian Army Has More Tanks Now Than When The War Began by greymiles: 8:02am On Mar 25, 2022
Igbofam:

Smiles

1 Like

Re: Thanks To Russia, The Ukrainian Army Has More Tanks Now Than When The War Began by Igbofam: 8:04am On Mar 25, 2022
greymiles:
Because of NATO membership, you choose a decision that will take thousands of your citizen life and permanently destroy their properties

There is no permanently destroyed property. They will all be rebuilt. Those who have died did so because they stood with their country and President in solidarity. They would rather die free men than live as slaves to Russia.

If Russians are okay with the dictatorial lifestyle of Putin toward them, Ukrainians are a totally different breed

89 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Thanks To Russia, The Ukrainian Army Has More Tanks Now Than When The War Began by EMAXIM(m): 8:05am On Mar 25, 2022
[quote author=FERNANDEZISBACK post=111346123]
Go and fall it now.. grin
[/quote

It's high time that you stopped being emotional.

5 Likes

Re: Thanks To Russia, The Ukrainian Army Has More Tanks Now Than When The War Began by greymiles: 8:05am On Mar 25, 2022
Igbofam:

Corrected! And as an addendum, Ukrainian lives have been lost at the hand of a mad man called LILIPutin. This is beyond a war for Ukraine. They are fighting for their Homeland and their sovereignty. Yes Tanks can and will be celebrated especially since their usage would result to the deaths of thousands more Russians
To type go sweet you na... wen no be ur papa or brothers dem carry gun give make he dey fight war

7 Likes

Re: Thanks To Russia, The Ukrainian Army Has More Tanks Now Than When The War Began by FERNANDEZISBACK: 8:06am On Mar 25, 2022
[quote author=EMAXIM post=111346373][/quote]
I only gave him orders..pls slide off.. kiss
Re: Thanks To Russia, The Ukrainian Army Has More Tanks Now Than When The War Began by greymiles: 8:07am On Mar 25, 2022
Igbofam:

There is no permanently destroyed property. They will all be rebuilt. Those who have died did so because they stood with their country and President in solidarity. They would rather die free men than live as slaves to Russia.

If Russians are okay with the dictatorial lifestyle of Putin toward them, Ukrainians are a totally different breed
The lives too will be brought back to life
The gain from weapons Americans are selling and frozen assets will be used to revive them grin

9 Likes

Re: Thanks To Russia, The Ukrainian Army Has More Tanks Now Than When The War Began by EMAXIM(m): 8:10am On Mar 25, 2022
FERNANDEZISBACK:

I only gave him orders..pls slide off.. kiss

Oga NATO, slide in!

2 Likes

Re: Thanks To Russia, The Ukrainian Army Has More Tanks Now Than When The War Began by FERNANDEZISBACK: 8:11am On Mar 25, 2022
EMAXIM:

Oga NATO, slide in!
Into where? grin grin
You are hilarious.. grin

1 Like

Re: Thanks To Russia, The Ukrainian Army Has More Tanks Now Than When The War Began by Valkrie: 8:27am On Mar 25, 2022
EMAXIM:

Nairaland comedians

In your dream bah?
They only hold a district and they would soon be sweeped out like cockroaches....!!!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thanks To Russia, The Ukrainian Army Has More Tanks Now Than When The War Began by paafin(m): 9:12am On Mar 25, 2022
Meanwhile, Izyum and Mauripol has fallen..

Kharkiv and Odessa are next!

Those tanks means nothing to Mother Russia

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thanks To Russia, The Ukrainian Army Has More Tanks Now Than When The War Began by Blackbishop(m): 10:39am On Mar 25, 2022
MadamVanessa:
shocked

Empty barrel makes the loudest noise

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thanks To Russia, The Ukrainian Army Has More Tanks Now Than When The War Began by oshonwambada: 11:07am On Mar 25, 2022
MadamVanessa:
shocked

Correct
Re: Thanks To Russia, The Ukrainian Army Has More Tanks Now Than When The War Began by sapientia(m): 11:42am On Mar 25, 2022
Putin Fan Bots will invade the thread

Just to rant "Western propaganda"

The new line in Nairaland to know morons and clowns

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thanks To Russia, The Ukrainian Army Has More Tanks Now Than When The War Began by Tutuliquo: 11:42am On Mar 25, 2022
Thank God sef

2 Likes

Re: Thanks To Russia, The Ukrainian Army Has More Tanks Now Than When The War Began by Lovenorth: 11:43am On Mar 25, 2022
This propaganda would not make Putin to compromise the interest of his country

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thanks To Russia, The Ukrainian Army Has More Tanks Now Than When The War Began by ImoleNaija: 11:43am On Mar 25, 2022
Lobatan

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Chinese Police To Muslims: Hand In All Your Qurans Or Face Harsh Punishment / We Won't Apologise, Foreigners Are Not Welcome -south Africa King Replies / Photo: Donald Trump Now Being Compared To Adolf Hitler Over Statement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.