Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,813 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:11 AM

My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me - Family (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me (48505 Views)

My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved / Help: My Father Is Killing My Mom Gradually / My Friend's Father Is A Ghost!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Upworkwriter007(f): 5:48pm On Apr 16, 2022
GraciousGod190:

How?

Really

I don't agree at all

If I wasn't born, do you think those property would be accessible to him?
Because he married my mother.
It would have been passed down to the closest relative of my mother kindreds
The law recognizes the spouse more...Male or female
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Upworkwriter007(f): 5:49pm On Apr 16, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Get yourself a good lawyer and stand your ground. Don't allow any of the effort your mother made to ensure the property ended up in your hands go to waste. undecided
It's a waste of time. Spouse owns right to property. over the kids. Except otherwise stated in a will.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by nencounter10: 5:50pm On Apr 16, 2022
abbey621:

The keyword here is ceremony! Are both parties competent? Were there witnesses? Was it documented, either paper, photos and/or video? If these requirements were met then no court in Nigeria would deny that the union is valid, fornication no longer exists once dowry is accepted, the rest na packaging.

This is exactly what I was telling Kobojunkie, but he maintained that only registered marriages are valid.

Thanks have a good day. Nice chatting with you.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Kobojunkie: 5:50pm On Apr 16, 2022
abbey621:
It doesn't work that way, he would need to show that she specifically willed it to him, if not then whatever property the mom owned belongs the dad by virtue of marriage. if there are no documentation to prove she willed it to her offsprings then most court will side with the living spouse.
No, I meant in the case that the marriage was undocumented, then OP will be it. undecided

I am on OP's team here as I don't want His grandparent's wealth instead going to paying for his father's lavish lifestyle. grin
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Oyerinde16(m): 5:52pm On Apr 16, 2022
PeaceJoyLove:

May the mercy of God remove the poverty in your lives.

How can men like you drag properties your father inlaw left behind? Ha! Poverty no get respect. See how poverty turned you to shameless people. grin

If poverty no dey your life...na you suppose stand like Zuma Rock behind your son that dem no born anybody in your wife's family to trouble your son. But as par say poverty don hook you....see.as how you turn to a ...wetin a fit describe you with oooo.

Anyway.... poverty must die in your lives.
Na deliverance go do am.

Read well, I did not say the man is dragging it with his son... It legitimately and legally belongs to the man... What ever belongs to the man also belongs to the woman of he his no more and what ever belongs to the woman also belongs to the man if she is no more...

The son has absolutely no right to be claiming his father is dragging, how will the man be dragging what is his by right...

Its just like saying the woman was relieved from work with a very big severance pay, or the woman got a windfall from somewhere or anywhere and then the woman is no more, the son will now be claiming its belongs to the mother and not the father so he should inherit it... Nonsense. In as much as the husband is alive, he owns the legal right to his wife's estate no matter how humongous it is... Had it being the woman even willed it to him, it would have being another case entirely... But in the absence, the father reigns supreme over his wife's estate...
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by bjprodint1: 5:56pm On Apr 16, 2022
Pimine:
Aswearugaaad
And why are you so certain he'll die before his wife? Women sef grin
Lol
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by JayPeeOham: 5:57pm On Apr 16, 2022
GraciousGod190:
As much as I hate bringing this here, I need advice on ways to go about this..is it right for a father to drag his wife wealth with his son, knowing fully well, the son is now a grown man.

My mom left us with lot of properties she acquired as inheritance from her father and mother side, been the only surviving child, while she was still around some relatives wanted to grab some of it...claiming she's a woman...but seeing she had a grown up son which was me they had to maintain and stay on their lane... besides my mom was never the sluggish type.

Now, my dad is trying to drag this property with me, saying he wants to sell some of the land without even informing me... he his claiming some of house rents and lavishing it on frivolities anyhow.

Yes he's my father, he trained me up to this stage that I am, but by right I thought Those properties are mine already.since it's inheritance that's supposed to be passed down to her offsprings.....if am wrong please someone should tell me.

Whose name is on the property documents please
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by ChuksHills(m): 5:57pm On Apr 16, 2022
PeaceJoyLove:

Chuck hill...hmmm. Poverty dey your life and you still get sharp mouth. Hmmmm.

You dont know your name is ChuckGutter. Poverty don common you from on top hill and drop you for gutter na. If not, why would you think of acquiring your father inlaw's properties.

Haaaa!

Poverty must die.

Poverty must die ooooo.

Enter deliverance room fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwV1VX7cCZc

It seems like you lack manners assuming you know who you are talking to you wouldn't be fooling around.
My wife's property belongs to me and my property belongs to my wife. The mother of the guy is dead and she has no brother or sister automatically the property now belongs to the husband so it the choice of the husband to either sell it or pass over to the son and not for the son to side line his father from his wife property or dragging property with his father.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by abbey621(m): 5:59pm On Apr 16, 2022
Kobojunkie:
No, I meant in the case that the marriage was undocumented, then OP will be it. undecided

I am on OP's team here as I don't want His grandparent's wealth instead going to paying for his father's lavish lifestyle. grin

Possibly, as long as he is the only child.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by descarado: 5:59pm On Apr 16, 2022
baby124:

Most of those properties go to the man’s kids. Even in Yoruba land, they divide the properties with wives and children equally. In fact in most cases it’s the children that get it but the mother is entitled to her husbands house where they lived till she dies and is entitled to be taken care of till she dies. She no get right to sell anything without all her children agreeing. They only get away with such when the children are very young. When they become like 18 and above, forget it. The parents cannot do anything on family property without their agreement.

This is good. Yes as long as the customs and traditions of the land supports it which the customary Court adheres to.

In my place, we don't sell generational properties like houses too except when all involved agree to cos of some reasons best known to them.

In my tradition also, if your parents give you an inheritance, it belongs to both you and your husband. The same way his father's house belong to him and you. And naturally it's expected to pass down to the children. If you and your husband acquire more,all are added together nd shared to the children.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Oyerinde16(m): 6:00pm On Apr 16, 2022
baby124:

The father does NOT own the mother. Only married to her. That marriage can be dissolved in divorce and then what? He goes away with the properties her father gave her because he paid N100 naira. You people are funny. E get which kind families you people try that nonsense ownership rubbish with sha.

Even if its #10 dowry he paid, it's is accepted as a valid exchange paid on the head of the woman. And the man must get is #10 back if they divorce...

Legally the man owns the right to his wife's estate after she is gone, the son will own or have the right to the estate only when both father and mother, husband and wife are no more...

Or are you trying to tell me if the wife inherits her husband's estate, the son will tell the mother the properties belong to his late dad and the mother should no drag it with him... Useless lazy son... This son has the relative mentality, he can take his fathers estate and trow out his mother...
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by nedekid: 6:08pm On Apr 16, 2022
GraciousGod190:
Note: I own my own personal house, I build with my money..am not a small boy...so those abusing am fighting over parental inheritance are getting it wrong

Oga, don't mind anybody that trys to shame you for "fighting" for your inheritance. It is because they do not have anything to inherit which is no fault of yours.
The Bible says in Proverbs 13:22: “A good man leaves an inheritance to his children's children.”
I will do same for my kids, and if my father does for me, I will gladly appreciate it.
Nothing do you.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Drone95(m): 6:13pm On Apr 16, 2022
Ur papa knw more about the property than you ! Just talk to him,he should sell the property and share it 60/40. No long story. grin
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Nobody: 6:18pm On Apr 16, 2022
ChuksHills:

It seems like you lack manners assuming you know who you are talking to you wouldn't be fooling around.
Poverty is dancing Azonto on your head.

My wife's property belongs to me and my property belongs to my wife. The mother of the guy is dead and she has no brother or sister automatically the property now belongs to the husband so it the choice of the husband to either sell it or pass over to the son and not for the son to side line his father from his wife property or dragging property with his father.
Automatically it belongs to the man, and not the boy. And you are a man.

Poverty must die.

Guy, na poverty be your problem. Nothing else. Father dey drag properties of his inlaw with his son... ha... Poverty must die. grin

I reject poverty. I reject fighting my son over property of anyone. I reject it. My properties that I will give to that son, God will provide.

Eh! Poverty na bastard. Ha! shocked See as he is strengthening the poverty in him. grin

Poverty na werey. cheesy
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Nobody: 6:19pm On Apr 16, 2022
Drone95:
Ur papa knw more about the property than you ! Just talk to him,he should sell the property and share it 60/40. No long story. grin
Poverty dey worry you. A man who has built his house is who you wan turn to baby cos the property belongs to his mom. Na poverty. Go for deliverance.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by colestephan86: 6:23pm On Apr 16, 2022
GraciousGod190:
As much as I hate bringing this here, I need advice on ways to go about this..is it right for a father to drag his wife wealth with his son, knowing fully well, the son is now a grown man.

My mom left us with lot of properties she acquired as inheritance from her father and mother side, been the only surviving child, while she was still around some relatives wanted to grab some of it...claiming she's a woman...but seeing she had a grown up son which was me they had to maintain and stay on their lane... besides my mom was never the sluggish type.

Now, my dad is trying to drag this property with me, saying he wants to sell some of the land without even informing me... he his claiming some of house rents and lavishing it on frivolities anyhow.

Yes he's my father, he trained me up to this stage that I am, but by right I thought Those properties are mine already.since it's inheritance that's supposed to be passed down to her offsprings.....if am wrong please someone should tell me.

Let nobody decieve you, those properties belong to both your mum and dad, you are not his wife.
What belongs to the wife belongs to the husband.and vise versa no be so them they talk. So long you dad is still here those things belongs to your dad, cos it belongs to his wife
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Nobody: 6:23pm On Apr 16, 2022
Oyerinde16:

Read well, I did not say the man is dragging it with his son... It legitimately and legally belongs to the man... What ever belongs to the man also belongs to the woman of he his no more and what ever belongs to the woman also belongs to the man if she is no more...

The son has absolutely no right to be claiming his father is dragging, how will the man be dragging what is his by right...

Its just like saying the woman was relieved from work with a very big severance pay, or the woman got a windfall from somewhere or anywhere and then the woman is no more, the son will now be claiming its belongs to the mother and not the father so he should inherit it... Nonsense. In as much as the husband is alive, he owns the legal right to his wife's estate no matter how humongous it is... Had it being the woman even willed it to him, it would have being another case entirely... But in the absence, the father reigns supreme over his wife's estate...
Poverty is Mr. Macho.

See when poverty sees the opportunity to fight for a property, e go quote fake laws.

See eh...na poverty dey worry you. If you owe your money, you no go even look at the properties. Na you go back your child. The boy is grown and not under you.

Just go pray poverty to "japa". I'm sure your thought will be different after.

I dont blame you again....and it's ok. Na the poverty inside you dey talk. So, its allowed.

When you are ready...you will deliver yourself from poverty. Pray that poverty to "japa".

Goodluck!
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Nobody: 6:27pm On Apr 16, 2022

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Owologbo(m): 6:30pm On Apr 16, 2022
BRATISLAVA:

When have you known Nigerians to believe they aren't immortal?

His father owns the property. Too bad for him. Unless he decides to teach the man a lesson. That's the law.
how can the father own something the wife inherited from her parents?
imagine giving a land (for example) to ur daughter, who has right to the land between your grand children and the husband?

I've seen a case where a family member tried to sell a land that belongs to his late cousin brother (from the father side), he was asked to back off because the land does not come from their fathers side.
The mother inherited the properties from her parents, it's only the children that's entitled to such properties.
If the mother didn't give birth to the op or any other child for the husband, those properties will definitely go back to the woman's family.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Mayeldah(m): 6:30pm On Apr 16, 2022
GraciousGod190:

When issues like this are raised, people like you who don't have anything meaningful to contribute other than to abuse will start creeping out from your swampy holes... like bush rats in mangrove deserts.

For your info, I own 2 apartments already... personal I build with my money...not everyone is as lazy as your father.

Then sit down with your father and discuss. He may be having a challenge that informed him wanting to sell one of the properties. Btw, are you and your father in good terms? He is also entitled to those properties as much as you are.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by newdawn2017(f): 6:30pm On Apr 16, 2022
GraciousGod190:

How?

Really

I don't agree at all

If I wasn't born, do you think those property would be accessible to him?
Because he married my mother.
It would have been passed down to the closest relative of my mother kindreds
but ur mother kept no instructions in will to that effect. D most entitled person on earth right now is ur father, unless he dies, u can't be entitled to it
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by BarrElChapo(m): 6:30pm On Apr 16, 2022
Usually the estate devolves to the spouse first. Did she leave a will ?

GraciousGod190:

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by nedekid: 6:31pm On Apr 16, 2022
Oyerinde16:

Even if its #10 dowry he paid, it's is accepted as a valid exchange paid on the head of the woman. And the man must get is #10 back if they divorce...

Legally the man owns the right to his wife's estate after she is gone, the son will own or have the right to the estate only when both father and mother, husband and wife are no more...

Or are you trying to tell me if the wife inherits her husband's estate, the son will tell the mother the properties belong to his late dad and the mother should no drag it with him... Useless lazy son... This son has the relative mentality, he can take his fathers estate and trow out his mother...
There is nothing lazy about the guy. He has a right to fight for what he feels is his. Abi you expect him to not fight and watch others lay claim to what he feels belongs to him all because he want to claim hard working?
If you can get assets of 100m from inheritance will you leave it because people will say you did not work for it but inherited it? If you can get free money without work, is there any sin in that? Abegi.
In agreement with you sha, if the father was legally married to the mother, I think he naturally has first claims to the estate. Unless the mother or grandfather made a will stating the op as beneficiary.
On the other what if the Ops father sells the land, uses the money to marry new wife, has more kids and then dies, leaving the remaining inheritance to the new wife. In that case, NO BE JUJU BE THAT?
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Owologbo(m): 6:33pm On Apr 16, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Na the mama cause am anyways. So this man has to now hope the father collapses before everything is gone. Na wa oo! undecided
The father is not entitled to anything.
The mother didn't buy those properties , but inherited them from her parents.
It's only the children that can inherit such properties.
Assuming the lady no born for the man, Shay the mother family will take back their properties?
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Kobojunkie: 6:34pm On Apr 16, 2022
Owologbo:

The father is not entitled to anything.
The mother didn't buy those properties , but inherited them from her parents.
It's only the children that can inherit such properties.
Assuming the lady no born for the man, Shay the mother family will take back their properties?
Are you serious? undecided

So, if the woman's family can reclaim it in that case, why can't they do something in this case? undecided
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Owologbo(m): 6:37pm On Apr 16, 2022
simpleseyi:

You are a thief. Ole ni e. The properties belong to your father, not you prodigal son.

If the properties were originally your father's properties, your mum will claim them as her own. It should be same now that the properties are originally your mum's
Oga, calm down.
The mother didn't acquire those properties in his father's house.
She inherited them from her parents according to the op.
Assuming the mother no give birth to children while with the husband, do you think the mother family member will leave the properties for the husband?
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Owologbo(m): 6:38pm On Apr 16, 2022
Kobojunkie:

So, if the woman's family can reclaim it in that case, why can't they do something in this case? undecided
They can't reclaim it because of the children.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by newdawn2017(f): 6:39pm On Apr 16, 2022
KiNg0G:
junkie agbeg go sleep, nor be only you dey read this thread

your comments dey disturb people
U re d junkie, nwachiobubor, ole ni e. I am sure d op has hired ur services here to support him.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Owologbo(m): 6:40pm On Apr 16, 2022
Kobojunkie:

without the children can the man transfer the lady's family properties to his family?
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Kobojunkie: 6:40pm On Apr 16, 2022
Owologbo:

So then why are folks saying it should go to the OP'S father then? undecided

At what point and under what conditions does inherited property become marital property? undecided
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Panchovilla2: 6:42pm On Apr 16, 2022
Young man, your father and your mother are one.. please wait for your father to die before claiming anything property.. I actually don't know what is wrong with this generation abeg..
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by ezegenigbonine: 6:57pm On Apr 16, 2022
baby124:

Only properties acquired during marriage belong to the couple. Not properties before marriage or inherited properties.

So far the did not state the person that will be in charge of her properties when she dies in a (WILL), the law state that the most eldest male of the family shall be in charge of the properties. And the most elders is the husband.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (23) (Reply)

Father Recreates Family Photo After 20 Years / Ladies If You Are Asked To Pick Just One Of These. / Smart Mum Spoiled Her Daughter's Plan To Steal Meat (pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.