Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,527 members, 7,819,900 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:56 AM

My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me (48470 Views)

My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved / Help: My Father Is Killing My Mom Gradually / My Friend's Father Is A Ghost!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Mindlog: 9:08pm On Apr 15, 2022
2goodbobo:
Your Father has the right to sell or claim the properties because he was Her Husband.

The children of the deceased also have rights to the properties going by the law, so it is not exclusively their father's.

6 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by KiNg0G: 9:08pm On Apr 15, 2022
simpleseyi:

Just the same way you are fighting your father for properties, you are also fighting anybody that has s contrary opinion to your prodigality
who be this mumu? wetin the op do you?

must you insult am, because he carry him family problem come here. All this nairaland frustrated people self.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by BRATISLAVA: 9:22pm On Apr 15, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Na the mama cause am anyways. So this man has to now hope the father collapses before everything is gone. Na wa oo! undecided

And even if that happened, he still wouldn't get anything, according to some weird laws.

His best bet is to sell them before the father does. And that's theft.

4 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Babaken(m): 9:28pm On Apr 15, 2022
GraciousGod190:

How?

Really

I don't agree at all

If I wasn't born, do you think those property would be accessible to him?
Because he married my mother.
It would have been passed down to the closest relative of my mother kindreds
Mr take your father to court and leave nairaland people to focus on important issues.

3 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by socialmediaman: 9:33pm On Apr 15, 2022
You’ll have to meet a lawyer to correctly interpret sections of Nigerian law or your state law about inheritance, but typically, your father should not entitled to your mother’s inheritance unless she specifically willed them to him

Your father, however, should have right to whatever your mom acquired or earned while they were married

22 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by socialmediaman: 9:38pm On Apr 15, 2022
simpleseyi:

You are a thief. Ole ni e. The properties belong to your father, not you prodigal son.

If the properties were originally your father's properties, your mum will claim them as her own. It should be same now that the properties are originally your mum's

Inherited properties are usually given to the children, not the spouses

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by KiNg0G: 9:41pm On Apr 15, 2022
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Mindlog: 9:46pm On Apr 15, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Na the mama cause am anyways. So this man has to now hope the father collapses before everything is gone. Na wa oo! undecided

The properties are not exclusively his father's as long the woman has surviving children, all will have a share.

A landlady whose 4 flats building near ours in Lagos, inherited the said property from her father. She was married and had 3 daughters, the eldest was in SS2 when she died and her husband had 2 kids outside during their marriage. She knew she wouldn't survive her health challenge and was smart enough to have a will done stating their 3 daughters as the only beneficiaries of the building excluding the husband.

After her burial even with the husband already knowing that the building belongs to their daughters, he came to make noise at the property even came with his own padlocks. The police from Area F had to be called in and had him taken away, the maternal relatives of the girls had to fight to discontinue the man being in custody of the girls to avoid stories that touch the liver as he regards them as his rivals

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Kobojunkie: 9:50pm On Apr 15, 2022
BRATISLAVA:
And even if that happened, he still wouldn't get anything, according to some weird laws.

His best bet is to sell them before the father does. And that's theft.
I don't understand! undecided

3 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by NoToPile: 9:57pm On Apr 15, 2022
Mindlog:

The properties are not exclusively his father's as long the woman has surviving children, all will have a share.

A landlady whose 4 flats building near ours in Lagos, inherited the said property from her father. She was married and had 3 daughters, the eldest was in SS2 when she died and her husband had 2 kids outside during their marriage. She knew she wouldn't survive her health challenge and was smart enough to have a will done stating their 3 daughters as the only beneficiaries of the building excluding the husband.

After her burial even with the husband already knowing that the building belongs to their daughters, he came to make noise at the property even came with his own padlocks. The police from Area F had to be called in and had him taken away, the maternal relatives of the girls had to fight to discontinue the man being in custody of the girls to avoid stories that touch the liver as he regards them as his rivals

Nice, the fact that he had two children outside influenced this decision.

In the OP's case I even suspect the parent were not really in good terms sef. We don't know if OP is the fathers only child, this might be a factor in all these dragging.

5 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Kobojunkie: 10:03pm On Apr 15, 2022
Mindlog:

so the mistake was his mother's who didn't bequeath the properties before her death. undecided

7 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by KiNg0G: 10:11pm On Apr 15, 2022
Kobojunkie:
so the mistake was his mother's who didn't bequeath the properties before her death. undecided
junkie agbeg go sleep, nor be only you dey read this thread

your comments dey disturb people

29 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by JovialJune(f): 10:16pm On Apr 15, 2022
socialmediaman:
You’ll have to meet a lawyer to correctly interpret sections of Nigerian law or your state law about inheritance, but typically, your father should not entitled to your mother’s inheritance unless she specifically willed them to him

Your father, however, should have right to whatever your mom acquired or earned while they were married

You are the only one that read the Op correctly, most people don't read on nl, they mostly follow bandgawon without thinking for themselves

Op you are correct, your father has no right on your mother's inheritance from her parents, as far as she didn't get the property when married, take him to court and present evidences and documents.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by faithfull18(f): 10:17pm On Apr 15, 2022
Mindlog:

Lol, too much trouble in this world.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by frozen70(f): 10:19pm On Apr 15, 2022
GraciousGod190:
As much as I hate bringing this here, I need advice on ways to go about this..is it right for a father to drag his wife wealth with his son, knowing fully well, the son is now a grown man.

My mom left us with lot of properties she acquired as inheritance from her father and mother side, been the only surviving child, while she was still around some relatives wanted to grab some of it...claiming she's a woman...but seeing she had a grown up son which was me they had to maintain and stay on their lane... besides my mom was never the sluggish type.

Now, my dad is trying to drag this property with me, saying he wants to sell some of the land without even informing me... he his claiming some of house rents and lavishing it on frivolities anyhow.

Yes he's my father, he trained me up to this stage that I am, but by right I thought Those properties are mine already.since it's inheritance that's supposed to be passed down to her offsprings.....if am wrong please someone should tell me.

You can probably inherit the properties if both parents are late

In your own case, dragging properties with your dad is not a good reasoning

I suggest you sit him down and both of you will work out things to favour your family

How come you are alone in this battle, what about your siblings, are they aware and Ignore the matter or aware and fighting dad too

Dialogue remains the best way for you all

6 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Elporo(m): 10:24pm On Apr 15, 2022
GraciousGod190:
Note: I own my own personal house, I build with my money..am not a small boy...so those abusing am fighting over parental inheritance are getting it wrong

Lalasticlala
Seun
Mynd44

Just bone. Make e sell one. Just one. Close eye for that one. But, after that. Oboy ... raise the roof. It is your grandfather's property.

Another solution would be to give him the equivalent of one of the properties. Case closed. Change ownership of everything to your name after that. change the lawyers handling it as well as find a good expensive lawyer until things cool down, then you can move to a cost effective solution.

What you want to do is be a Benevolent dictator. Give him some leeway, and then lock down every other thing. The big law firm is for intimidation. He will calm down when 3 or 5 lawyer visit him about the properties.

5 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by oldienavie: 10:44pm On Apr 15, 2022
frozen70:

You can probably inherit the properties if both parents are late

In your own case, dragging properties with your dad is not a good reasoning

I suggest you sit him down and both of you will work out things to favour your family

How come you are alone in this battle, what about your siblings, are they aware and Ignore the matter or aware and fighting dad too

Dialogue remains the best way for you all
He is the only son.
Some parents are not reasonable, you just assume that everybody can act rationally.
My dad managed to build 3 houses with the support of my mom , he is a very excessive spender and he does not know how to control himself when people ask for help.
He can give out his whole salary to people while the family suffers.

As I speak he has sold 2 houses, and we dont even know how he spent the money, infact, I wont be surprised if he has sold the last one.

What I did is to focus on building myself, I approached life with a mentality of an orphan, so I never looked at all the things he acquired which he has now squandered.

So @OP, I understand this is a difficult situation, but if you are doing okay like you claim, focus on your own family and forget that he exists. Let him sell the property if he wants, since you are also in a good place, there is no need bothering yourself with his wasteful lifestyle, some African parents are a burden on their children and that is the reality.

9 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by pocohantas(f): 12:01am On Apr 16, 2022
NoToPile:

Nice, the fact that he had two children outside influenced this decision.

In the OP's case I even suspect the parent were not really in good terms sef. We don't know if OP is the fathers only child, this might be a factor in all these dragging.

It is written over the post. OP knows his father’s side-chicks. grin grin

socialmediaman:

Inherited properties are usually given to the children, not the spouses

Wow!!! Thanks for this information.

7 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by NoToPile: 12:54am On Apr 16, 2022
pocohantas:

It is written over the post. OP knows his father’s side-chicks. grin grin

Thats what a lot of people don't understand, once there's another woman, a love child, all those other addendum the game changes. drastically.

6 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by xtivin(m): 12:58am On Apr 16, 2022
By culture if your dad paid your mum dowry, he owns everything she own except there is a will before demise. I advice OP to trend carefully and avoid shaking unnecessary tables. Drink water from your own cistern.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by KingOfAllIgbos: 4:09am On Apr 16, 2022
Both father and son are useless.

Both should go and work hard like the industrious mother who worked for the same things you leeches are quarrelling over.

I am not sorry to say this... Both of you are very revolting and shameless.

Don't you have any principles at all ?

" I took my son to court over my wife's properties " or

" I sued my dad to court over my mother's properties"

How do these 2 statements sound? Like Father, like Son.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Sterope(f): 4:31am On Apr 16, 2022
Your dad survived her, he should be entitled to a part of her properties as well. If the gender were reversed, everyone would expect your mum to inherit his as well.

Your dad doesn't sound responsible which makes this trickier, it shouldn't affect his right though. You didn't mention anything about siblings, I hope you are not planning on making yourself the sole inheritor

GraciousGod190:
As much as I hate bringing this here, I need advice on ways to go about this..is it right for a father to drag his wife wealth with his son, knowing fully well, the son is now a grown man.

My mom left us with lot of properties she acquired as inheritance from her father and mother side, been the only surviving child, while she was still around some relatives wanted to grab some of it...claiming she's a woman...but seeing she had a grown up son which was me they had to maintain and stay on their lane... besides my mom was never the sluggish type.

Now, my dad is trying to drag this property with me, saying he wants to sell some of the land without even informing me... he his claiming some of house rents and lavishing it on frivolities anyhow.

Yes he's my father, he trained me up to this stage that I am, but by right I thought Those properties are mine already.since it's inheritance that's supposed to be passed down to her offsprings.....if am wrong please someone should tell me.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by otomatic(m): 6:36am On Apr 16, 2022
Involve your maternal family. I'm Sure your grandparents will have given the property to you instead of your mother if they were alive till this moment.
Those properties are not your father's own. They are meant for your mother's children.

9 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Lexusgs430: 7:26am On Apr 16, 2022
GraciousGod190:

Take your case to court ......
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by eeewise(m): 8:37am On Apr 16, 2022
Heart breaking to see a father and son rival over mere material things .

What's most troubling is the length the son is willing to go to drag his father

Pls oga son settle your issues within the family

They are people you can reach out to prevail on him to close ranks with you as a family unit

Your mum died without a will so by law he has more rights to the property of his wife than you just the way your mum would have had rights if he was the one late

Talk to his spiritual leaders or people you think he respects

4 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by pocohantas(f): 8:42am On Apr 16, 2022
Sterope:
Your dad survived her, he should entitled to a part of her properties as well. If the gender was reversed, everyone would expect your mum to inherit his as well.

Your dad doesn't sound responsible which makes this trickier, it shouldn't affect his right though. You didn't mention anything about siblings, I hope you are not planning on making yourself the sole inheritor

I would have thought same too. I was surprised to read that inheritance is for kids. Does this apply to widows too?

12 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by eeewise(m): 8:42am On Apr 16, 2022
KingOfAllIgbos:
Both father and son are useless.

Both should go and work hard like the industrious mother who worked for the same things you leeches are quarrelling over.

I am not sorry to say this... Both of you are very revolting and shameless.

Don't you have any principles at all ?

" I took my son to court over my wife's properties " or

" I took my dad to court over my mother's properties"

I just tire

I want to throw up reading his post

The dynamics of a father /son relationship is honour

A son honours a father.

A father protects his son putting his future interests above all

Shameless family....*spits*

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by eeewise(m): 8:43am On Apr 16, 2022
pocohantas:

I would have thought same too. I am surprised to know inheritance is for kids. Does this apply to widows too?

Order of inheritance is first the surviving spouse
Before the kids

The spouse comes before the kids

11 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by KingOfAllIgbos: 8:48am On Apr 16, 2022
eeewise:

I just tire

I want to throw up reading his post

The dynamics of a father /son relationship is honour

A son honours a father.

A father protects his son putting his future interests above all

Shameless family....*spits*

I can't even begin to imagine.

For them both to be squabbling over what they didn't work for.

The son inherited the shameless entitlement behaviour from the father.

I don't mind sounding harsh but it's the bitter truth.

If the son is truly self sufficient and successful, at least he would leave the father to be irresponsible?

Joining in the act is just as disgusting. I can imagine being called as a family friend to resolve this kind of issue..

Would recommend public flogging for them both.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by eeewise(m): 8:51am On Apr 16, 2022
otomatic:
Involve your maternal family. I'm Sure your grandparents will have given the property to you instead of your mother if they were alive till this moment.
Those properties are not your father's own. They are meant for your mother's children.

This mindset is the reasons many see marriage as a sham

By marriage all that belongs to the wife is the husband's and all the belongs to the husband's his wife

This are hard truths but we can do nothing against the truth but for the truth

2 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by KiNg0G: 8:53am On Apr 16, 2022
KingOfAllIgbos:

I can't even begin to imagine.

For them both to be squabbling over what they didn't work for.

The son inherited the shameless entitlement behaviour from the father.

I don't mind sounding harsh but it's the bitter truth.

quiet your smelling mouth there, people like you get more irritating family disputes like this, because shame nor go make hu na bring am come outside to seek for a better advice... instead hu na go hide go take drastic actions like murdering and backbiting when go affect hu na in the future.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by KingOfAllIgbos: 8:57am On Apr 16, 2022
KiNg0G:

KiNg0G to his useless homosexual father and his spermbank wh0re mother:
quiet your smelling mouth there, people like you get more irritating family disputes like this, because shame nor go make hu na bring am come outside to seek for a better advice... instead hu na go hide go take drastic actions like murdering and backbiting when go affect hu na in the future.

Get an education...learn how to spell, then maybe you might be able to communicate like a sane person. Comprende?

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? / Getting The Best Out Of Your House Helps / "My husband abandoned my family after He Paid N580K Bride Price" Lady laments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.