Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,825 members, 7,813,712 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:52 PM

Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. - Properties (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. (42706 Views)

Real Estate Firms All Over Nigeria Should Check This Out. / Grave Inside Compound I And Family Are About To Move Into / Ways To Reduce Cost Of Beautifully Flooring Your Compound (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Oyiboman69: 10:25am On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:
Once a person dies the person is dead , it doesn't matter what happens after that . someone can still exhume the dead even if buried in their compound. I've seen graves in compounds with no occupants.
how myopic... people bury their dead in their land not only to preserve the land but to give a meaning and understanding to their lineage which can also be traced through such act.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by SKIBiNSKI(m): 10:25am On Apr 28, 2022
solasoulmusic:

Okay o just try and see body dey die but spirit dey live o
grin grin cheesy have you ever seen a spirit? If you have tell me what they look like and what she/he was wearing and what did they say to you? undecided

I have being waiting for my dead brother's spirit for years to come talk to me but he hasn't showed up.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Stephendeals: 10:25am On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:
No one has replied my suggestion about compulsory property tax. In Nigeria most people do not pay property tax both for land and house , Once you buy a land and build a house in Nigeria ,it's yours forever, that should not be the case. there must be compulsory property tax. the money will be used to build and maintain roads, street lights, waste removal, etc. Even if the land is empty , the land owner must be paying tax for that land. that will discourage people from fighting over land due to the responsibilities involved. Also, land owners would be encouraged to utilize profit from their land and property , in order to generate profit to maintain the land. For example , a landowner can use their land for agriculture to generate profit.
the bigger the house and amenities and land, the bigger the property tax.

If a land owner or home owner defaults on payment of property tax, the land and house would be seized by the authorities .

Let me give you example, if Michael Jackson's Neverland was in Nigeria, he would not lose it because most Nigerians do not pay income tax, property tax ,sales tax ,etc.

There must also be compulsory insurance for all cars, whether the person is driving the car or not, he or she must pay insurance for that car . that will deter people from buying 10 cars . Also wrongful parking and overloading of vehicles must be heavily fined

we must learn from what other successful countries are doing and do the right thing or we will keep going in circles in the name of backward traditions and culture.

All this writeup is useless, that is why no body replied you initially, what have the government done with the little tax they have collected already?

Why will anyone be thinking of creating more avenue for Government officials to embezzle funds, until corruption is tackled, bury this idea of putting more burden on the populace.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by flexispy: 10:25am On Apr 28, 2022
Oh yes more govt control that's what we need right now
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by lexy2014: 10:26am On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:
it has become a tradition in Nigeria that most corpses are usually buried in their compound instead of at a public cemetary. burying dead in their compound is bad for real estate business and land laws.

An example of this dilemma is the guy on this thread who was contemplating his family land with is mom's grave in the compound.

https://www.nairaland.com/7093708/should-sell-late-mothers-house

So if people don't bury their dead in cemetery those in real estate will not see land or house to buy? Since u are interested in the matter, go and build cemetery for people to bury their dead
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by CorperKola: 10:26am On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:
No one has replied my suggestion about compulsory property tax. In Nigeria most people do not pay property tax both for land and house , Once you buy a land and build a house in Nigeria ,it's yours forever, that should not be the case. there must be compulsory property tax. the money will be used to build and maintain roads, street lights, waste removal, etc. Even if the land is empty , the land owner must be paying tax for that land. that will discourage people from fighting over land due to the responsibilities involved. Also, land owners would be encouraged to utilize profit from their land and property , in order to generate profit to maintain the land. For example , a landowner can use their land for agriculture to generate profit.

If a land owner or home owner defaults on payment of property tax, the land and house would be seized by the authorities .

Let me give you example, if Michael Jackson's Neverland was in Nigeria, he would not lose it because most Nigerians do not pay income tax, property tax ,sales tax ,etc.

There must also be compulsory insurance for all cars, whether the person is driving the car or not, he or she must pay insurance for that car . that will deter people from buying 10 cars . Also wrongful parking and overloading of vehicles must be heavily fined

we must learn from what other successful countries are doing and do the right thing or we will keep going in circles in the name of backward traditions and culture.
I support land use charge, and its in effect. I dunno how it is different from property tax

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Nobody: 10:26am On Apr 28, 2022
SKIBiNSKI:
grin grin cheesy have you ever seen a spirit? If you have tell me what they look like and what she/he was wearing and what did they say to you? undecided

Like when you offend someone and then it rains ….and storms God has planted seed for your bitter root i sometimes would get goosebumps going through old photos and also walking through sentimental places where someone has died.

I had a colleague who could tell someone had died by a photograph in the eye region there is always a clue. I thought it was bullshit though until you watch movies of people that have passed on look in the eye region a red tint ( no beef intended) not white as always the spirit is gone..

I am a Christian by the way.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by SKIBiNSKI(m): 10:28am On Apr 28, 2022
solasoulmusic:

Like when you offend someone and then it rains ….and storms
errr.. i still don't understand.. undecided
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Innobee99(m): 10:30am On Apr 28, 2022
Dollarremix:
Kogi state people no go like this one ooo
It's everywhere

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Truthisunique2: 10:30am On Apr 28, 2022
ufotty2001:

Over here in Port Harcourt. Especially the lkwerre people. They bury their dead once inside the house. If you are renting an apartment u need to be very careful
same thing in Benin

Some burial inside the room the person dwelled
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Oyiboman69: 10:30am On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:

your suggestion is meaningless... Nigeria has been practicing indirect taxation, I mean taxing everything and everyone, what have they been doing with the money?...

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by ChoCho54(f): 10:31am On Apr 28, 2022
Etuagievin:
What makes it barbaric?
How can the dead and living share space?
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Nobody: 10:32am On Apr 28, 2022
SKIBiNSKI:
errr.. i still don't understand.. undecided

Always wait a few minutes after my reply I always add more
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by SKIBiNSKI(m): 10:33am On Apr 28, 2022
solasoulmusic:

Okay o just try and see na body dey die but spirit dey live o

I remember when people were plotting my downfall all their fathers died back to back
All their fathers died back to back? It could have being coincidental, do you have any proofs they were plotting against you? Can you proof that their fathers died because you believed they were plotting against you?. It could all have been imaginations in your head, just like your imaginations of spirits.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Nobody: 10:34am On Apr 28, 2022
SKIBiNSKI:
All their fathers died back to back? It could have being coincidental, do you have any proofs they were plotting against you? Can you proof that their fathers died because you believed they were plotting against you?. It could all have been imaginations in your head, just like your imaginations of spirits.

The person who stole the phone
The person who gave them access to the phone
The person who was party to knowing they would take the phone

Spiritual things aren’t too hard to settle no be blood to spill it’s case to close
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by SKIBiNSKI(m): 10:35am On Apr 28, 2022
solasoulmusic:

Always wait a few minutes after my reply I always add more
Well.. don't submit your comments until you have finished writting, i cannot keep waiting for you to add more. smiley
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by redcliff: 10:36am On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:
Only in third world African countries do people bury the dead in their compound.even south Africa does not practice such . burying of the dead in their compound is bad for real estate.
I have mentioned on my other thread that Nigerian needs real estate land reform. we can not afford the current method if Nigeria will be developed.

In fact , most Nigerians do not pay property tax . and yet you expect roads and street lights and public amenities to be fixed? there needs to be compulsory property tax which will deter people from thinking the land belongs to them forever and therefore burying dead on the land.
people should pay heavy property tax if they want to own a home. if you can't afford property tax then rent an apartment.

Lol. its obvious you do not own a property. you sound very bitter

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Nobody: 10:37am On Apr 28, 2022
SKIBiNSKI:
Well.. don't submit your comments until you have finished writting, i cannot keep waiting for you to add more. smiley

Sorry o without maggi soup no sweet no be chat na message board
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Oyiboman69: 10:37am On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:
you don't own the land forever. the land belongs to government. do you pay property tax for that land? once you default, the tax agency will take back the land .
stop speaking like a senseless child.
Who is the government?... Is it not the people?.

Our ancestors own and preserved our very own land which we call our home even before the invasion of the white men which they later introduced their system of governance. even with the current land act,buhari cannot go to his home state katsina to say this nonsense.

Where is your home town,you can go and give the government the land over there and stop disturbing others...

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by sugaslim(m): 10:38am On Apr 28, 2022
Pierocash:
Only the poor bury their dead in the compound. How many rich guys do you see that bury their dead in mansions in Lekki?

Dem plenty,
They will even build their grave mansion down before they die.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Classicalman(m): 10:39am On Apr 28, 2022
The fear of skull miners especially from the waste side. So leave us to bury our dead where we want.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by hansomb: 10:39am On Apr 28, 2022
Only in the Southern part of these country you get that practices. In the northern part they don't do that except maybe for Emirs or highly placed people.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Donarsy(m): 10:39am On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:

Let me give you example, if Michael Jackson's Neverland was in Nigeria, he would not lose it because most Nigerians do not pay income tax, property tax ,sales tax ,etc. So after paying so much tax, some tugs will now be using our money to carry actress olosho up and down abi

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by TheLawAsItIs: 10:42am On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:
it has become a tradition in Nigeria that most corpses are usually buried in their compound instead of at a public cemetary. burying dead in their compound is bad for real estate business and land laws.

An example of this dilemma is the guy on this thread who was contemplating his family land with is mom's grave in the compound.

https://www.nairaland.com/7093708/should-sell-late-mothers-house

It has been a crime for a very long time.
Section 246 of the Criminal Code Act of Nigeria criminalises it. It is just one of those many laws that are not being enforced.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Amos1423(m): 10:42am On Apr 28, 2022
What do you mean Oyibo man in Africa, do you mean Africa is meant for backwardness?

See, the OP is right in all he is saying. One of the reasons people still bury in their compound is because government doesn't have use for big hectares of land yet because they don't think development if not most of y'all claiming to own lands won't own cause property tax alone would scare you off. If government decides today to implore the British standard building, do you think it'd be built on waters? How then would we have a developed cities when everyone's only defense for our backwardness is that it's cultural to own lands forever as such its enough reason why other progressives shouldn't think development.

Check out Singapores housing structure, in 1979 Singapores housing was nothing to be compared to Nigeria also the standard of living but today would you say same of Nigeria and Singapore in terms of housing?

People were forced to flee their homes through government sponsored crisis thereafter occupying those places which forced everyone to rent houses, that way landlords would pay property taxes or people be forced to rent government own houses through their housing scheme; we are still living in 1979!.

MetaPhysical:

It has become a tradition ke? Op, do you mean the tradition of burial on private property is no longer in common practice?

Don't turn yourself into oyinboman in Africa. Govt cannot regulate everything, if they do you will incrementally loose your liberty. This matter is for the local communities to meet and deliberate on.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by babtoundey(m): 10:43am On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:

How has the government managed the revenue generated internally and the federal allocations? Landed properties are not heavily taxed people are homeless and sleep under bridges and canopies. If they are taxed where would be the place of common man in the scheme of things? We should keep robbing Peter to pay Paul, taxing the poor to feed the rich just because we want to copy seamless climes where the government is sane, fair and responsible.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by SKIBiNSKI(m): 10:44am On Apr 28, 2022
solasoulmusic:

The person who stole the phone
The person who gave them access to the phone
The person who was party to knowing they would take the phone

Spiritual things aren’t too hard to settle no be blood to spill it’s case to close
This proofs nothing! were you able to prove these people participated in the theft of your phone?

And why would one want people's fathers dead just because they stole your phone? Or rejoice that their fathers died because of a stolen phone? Did you consider that as justice for you? For your stolen phone? It was just a bloody phone! you could replace it, which i believe you have.

And why would their fathers die? Their fathers didn't steal your phone. You see? Why i said you may be imagining things. undecided

There are no such thing as spirits they don't exist!
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Gentlerespect76: 10:45am On Apr 28, 2022
Warrior247:

I wish I can give you a billion likes.

Don't mind that fool. He should come and pay the property tax for everyone nah....

Are Nigerians not blessed with enough mineral resources enough for our foolish leaders to use it for the nonsense that he is talking about? But they choose to embezzle
Thanks bro. The truth must be spoken at all times.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Nobody: 10:45am On Apr 28, 2022
SKIBiNSKI:
This proofs nothing! were you able to prove these people participated in the theft of your phone?

And why would one want people's fathers died just because they stole your phone? Or rejoice that their fathers died because of a stolen phone? Did you consider that as justice for you? For your stolen phone? It was just a bloody phone! you could replace it, which i believe you have.

And why would their fathers die? Their fathers didn't steal your phone. You see? Why i said you may be imagining things. undecided

There are no such thing as spirits they don't exist!

If tell you sey all of una wey dey support to shame person wey you rob because you came with love too go see your own julius Berger don show una sey no be cap abi na Cappa
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Cousin9999: 10:46am On Apr 28, 2022
This is a personal matter to be decided by family. Government shouldn't interfere.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Bamzyriches451: 10:47am On Apr 28, 2022
Hmmm...
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by SKIBiNSKI(m): 10:48am On Apr 28, 2022
solasoulmusic:

If tell you sey all of una wey dey support to shame person wey you rob because you came with love too go see your own julius Berger don show una sey no be cap abi
Sorry, but I didn't understand this rubbish, try again please, this time in plain simple English.. smiley

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Lagos Demolishes 13 Illegal Buildings Along Airport Road / 3-storey Building Collapsed In Umuahia [PHOTOS, VIDEO] / Struggles Of Living In A Rented Face Me & Face You Compound (meme Collection)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.