Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,886 members, 7,810,406 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:26 AM

My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far - Programming (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far (47617 Views)

Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker / 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast / Junior Developer Internship So Hard To Find (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by kriss27(m): 4:12pm On May 07, 2022
Vladm:
I just started html and css... then my laptop crashed... am 29... i hope i am not too old for this path am choosing...
I am 32 to be 33 this year Sept. I want to venture into software development. I have not even started, yet to get a laptop! Are you saying I am too old to start?

1 Like

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by kriss27(m): 4:44pm On May 07, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:
Yes baby!!
The US start-up contacted me that I've moved to the next stage lol.

I'm proceeding to a technical interview with the CTO and the engineering team. Now I don't even know what to prepare on. This is where it gets tricky. God got us though!

Obviously the test I was given in the first stage was a react test that involved me cloning a particular web app and implementing an OAuth login (most challenging aspect), and Fetching API data using Redux Toolkit.

I was given 3 days to complete it. I submitted about 30 minutes to the deadline grin

Now, I have just a few days to prepare for this interview. Let's see how it goes.

Congrats bro
I am really happy for you
I wish you all the best in your journey into the tech world

1 Like

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by Tekhthings: 4:57pm On May 07, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:
So guys, in the midst of my entire job search, I've landed another technical writing gig. It just came at the right time meehn grin

Sapa be wan dey romance my neck.
I'd be writing on the company's API and a good use case for it.
The pay is about $300.

I got this gig from someone whom I've worked with before. That's why you can't undermine the importance of networking and first impression in tech.

I didn't apply for this gig, I was simply offered on a platter, because I've impressed during my first time working with him, and when he left the first company to join a new one, I simply continued chatting with him on Twitter. We became friends sort of.

At least, I can use this one to hold body before an engineering job comes through.

I'm still working on my second take home test, this is literally the hardest shít I've done. It's an e-commerce store from scratch. Well, I'm expected to submit this week. So I'm trying to round it up.

Fingers crossed.

Nice thread mate, can you drop links on site to apply for technical writing, I already have some blog post on hashnode that has fairly good analytics. At least one can be using that to keep body and soul before the dream job comes. Nice thread though.

1 Like

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by TheManOfTheYear: 6:27pm On May 07, 2022
Tekhthings:

Nice thread mate, can you drop links on site to apply for technical writing, I already have some blog post on hashnode that has fairly good analytics. At least one can be using that to keep body and soul before the dream job comes. Nice thread though.
Kindly hit me up bro

1 Like

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by TheManOfTheYear: 6:37pm On May 07, 2022
Something interesting just happened guys.
So the US based start-up which I applied to, it turns out that I applied to TWO front-end developer roles advertised by the startup.
One was for their subsidiary company, while the other was for the main company itself.

And I already scaled to the 2nd stage of the former. Which is a technical interview.

I just received a mail, with a task from the latter, meaning they've proceeded with my application. grin

The recruiter recognized my name and told me I applied for two roles (I been don forget aswear). She asked whether she should remove me from one, in order to focus on the other. I said NO!!!

I wanna play my cards on both roles. But this second test na die!!! shocked

Now I have a technical interview and a rugged task to prepare for and work on respectively.

Guys, do not let anyone deceive you. Getting into tech is HARD!!!.
You have to be rugged enough to break in. The only ones who broke in easily, are those who had college internships with those big FAANG companies and big startups, and afterwards transitioned into full time workers after their graduation from Computer Science.

Me, coming from a non-CS background, means I have to prove more than just my CV. Everything is possible if we put our minds to it.

Note that.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by TheManOfTheYear: 6:41pm On May 07, 2022
kriss27:
I am 32 to be 33 this year Sept. I want to venture into software development. I have not even started, yet to get a laptop! Are you saying I am too old to start?
Lol, you're not even old.
I've seen 40 and 50 year olds, get their first job. I see them on twitter.

So you're not even old to start.

13 Likes

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by TheManOfTheYear: 6:46pm On May 07, 2022
kriss27:
Sorry what type of job are applying for?
Frontend Developer/Engineer

2 Likes

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by Tekhthings: 7:13pm On May 07, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:
Kindly hit me up bro

Hello tech bro, just sent you a mail, but if there is a faster way to hit you up please let me know. Much appreciation.
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by Tekhthings: 7:21pm On May 07, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:
Kindly hit me up bro

Got your mail bro, appreciate the link.

1 Like

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by Heyf: 7:57pm On May 07, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:
So the US based start-up which I applied to, it turns out that I applied to TWO front-end developer roles advertised by the startup.
One was for their subsidiary company, while the other was for the main company itself.

And I already scaled to the 2nd stage of the former. Which is a technical interview.

Hello, please can I send a Dm for the technical writing websites please

I just received a mail, with a task from the latter, meaning they've proceeded with my application. grin

The recruiter recognized my name and told me I applied for two roles (I been don forget aswear). She asked whether she should remove me from one, in order to focus on the other. I said NO!!!

Now I have a technical interview and a rugged task to prepare for and work on respectively.

You have to be rugged enough to break in. The only ones who broke in easily, are those who had college internships with those big FAANG companies and big startups, and afterwards transitioned into full time workers after their graduation from Computer Science.

Me, coming from a non-technical background, means I have to prove more than just my CV. Everything is possible if we put our minds to it.

Note that.
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by KushLyon(m): 8:27pm On May 07, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:

Me, coming from a non-technical background, means I have to prove more than just my CV. Everything is possible if we put our minds to it.

Note that.

Before I forget again, I noticed you talked about working as an intern earlier and I will implore you to throw more light on that please. I just have a few questions like how did you get the internship? where exactly did you work as an intern and other things you're comfortable sharing
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by TheManOfTheYear: 8:36pm On May 07, 2022
KushLyon:

Before I forget again, I noticed you talked about working as an intern earlier and I will implore you to throw more light on that please. I just have a few questions like how did you get the internship? where exactly did you work as an intern and other things you're comfortable sharing
Oh, they were remote internships I did during the pandemic in 2020.

One lasted for three months, the other for six. I did them almost concurrently.

There are so many internship these days.
You can always check twitter tech communities for updates on them
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by KushLyon(m): 9:08pm On May 07, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:

Did you do them remotely or you were present on-site?

1 Like

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by superboyspecial: 10:31pm On May 07, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:
Yes I attach cover letters when requested.
Rejection mails are normal bro. It doesn't mean you aren't great enough. We just have to keep pushing. Every interview process for me is an experience already. It makes me a better developer regardless of the outcome

Alright man... Thanks for the reply.
I must say I appreciate you for taking your time to put together this thread. Thanks again
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by Kirkman: 10:33pm On May 07, 2022
kriss27:
I am.exactly in the same predicament as yours no caps. Do get a laptop as soon as possible, even if it's a fairly used one and start from somewhere. Later you can upgrade it. May God be with you sir.

1 Like

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by genaro2000(m): 11:27pm On May 07, 2022
https://twitter.com/dthompsondev/status/1522721421427945474?s=21

You can attend this Twitter space tomorrow using the link above. The topic is how to standout in an interview to get your first tech job

1 Like

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by TheManOfTheYear: 11:48pm On May 07, 2022
KushLyon:

Did you do them remotely or you were present on-site?
remotely
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by GreatCracker(m): 12:48am On May 08, 2022
abah52:
Well done my brother. Am so impressed by your hard work and struggle to make a career for your self.

Have you heard about Bug hunting? With your Dev skill you can move to the next level and start earning good money searching for bugs for companies online.

Search for bugs hunting tutorials online to learn the skills . Thereafter you can register with some bug bounty platforms to start searching for bugs for companies.

are you into bug hunting can I send you a pm?
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by KushLyon(m): 8:07am On May 08, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:
remotely

Thanks for your reply. Keep up the good work smiley
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by WutheringHeight(f): 10:13am On May 08, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:
Okay, the pandemic have subsided, and ASUU and FG don settle their kwata. The start of 2021 saw me back in school for my final lap in the university.

Another break in coding because I cannot multitask abeg. Make I no go die.

July, I finally graduated from that evil school, Omo I no fit happy abeg. I was doing painting jobs to support myself while in school, with the hope of upskilling my already existent skills in web development.

By October 2021, I picked up React, the popular and most loved JavaScript framework. The YouTube channels responsible for my growth in React was JSMastery and Brad Traversy (God bless them for me).

I was coding an average of 8 hours a day (no jokes). In fact, I dumped the idea of enrolling for NYSC because I needed utmost and complete focus.

You graduated from uniben?
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by kriss27(m): 2:00pm On May 08, 2022
Kirkman:

I am.exactly in the same predicament as yours no caps. Do get a laptop as soon as possible, even if it's a fairly used one and start from somewhere. Later you can upgrade it. May God be with you sir.
AMEN.
Thanks and you too
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by frankfab(m): 2:43pm On May 08, 2022
I can relate with everything you said. I'm currently in this stage and have been procrastinating on writing.
Have few articles on hashnode, dev.to and medium.

I'm planning on writing 1 article per week from next month and would need accountability partner.

1 Like

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by Heyf: 6:00pm On May 08, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:

Hello, please can I DM you please for the link to the technical writing websites, please.
Or can you please send to my email
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by IhateRetards: 6:27pm On May 08, 2022
Phayzz:
@TheManOfTheYear. I started learning coding last month, i am currently learning java using the app 'grasshopper' but I feel like am not gaining anything, can pls suggest which app or any source where I can start from. I was told I also need to learn HTML, which one should I start first.

Sorry for taking your time.

Bros if you know what is good for you learn that app finish becus that app will make you knw JavaScript a lil bit better and you won't be confused about JavaScript.

2 Likes

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by Hybkay(m): 6:19pm On May 09, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Na so e be. I remember when I started applying to jobs. Foolish me was applying to like 100 jobs a day. The fall out after 3 weeks wasn't what I was ready for. Tens of interviews. Infact I purposely avoided some interviews. Calls on my phones. I didn't even know which ones I applied to when I got those calls. Just focus on getting the ones you have gotten now.
boss, are you a frontend or backend dev?
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by LUAN(m): 6:39pm On May 09, 2022
beckhart:

What problems do you face when coding with your phone?
I felt like like am wasting time, my mind would be telling me that I suppose use laptop, and I do feel sleepy too
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by SuperModerator: 12:25pm On May 10, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:
So yesterday I submitted my task to the Europe based start-up.
I really struggled with the task, especially some features not working from the Redux area.
But I submitted anyway.

The recruiter contacted me today that they received my submission. They are reviewing it, but she told me whatever the feedback is, it would be "actionable".

Meaning if they aren't satisfied, they'd give me feedback so I can complete it based on the feedback.
If they are impressed enough, I'd proceed to a technical interview.

The position is a junior position, and they really committed to training enough juniors for their company.

Now, assuming I get the job, I would undergo a three month probation period. Afterward, a laptop and workstation upgrade would be sent to me. A mentor (a senior colleague) would be assigned to me etc

This is just to give an insight on how most foreign startups welcome a new employee. But like I say, the hurdle lies in getting in.

I've received a total of about 12 rejection mails so far. That's just the way it is, it's usually a game of numbers. Not necessarily merit. That's why your CV and GitHub are extremely important.
They are the first impressions. A one-page CV is ideal, though mine is two-pages.

A GitHub with good activity and solid projects is key too. So I believe.
The first impressions would get you the interviews. Then your expertise and knowledge can take over afterwards. Not the other way around.

I have a writing work to complete. Man must collect small change take hold body for now grin
Hello bro, I am full-stack developer. Nextjs and Nestjs.

I feel isolated in my programming journey. I have no tech buddy. None of my friends is into tech.

We can be of help to each other. I can help you with your projects wherever you feel stuck and I believe you can be of help to me too.

Here's my WhatsApp contact if you are interested. 08053662673.
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by headboyprince(m): 2:15pm On May 10, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:
So yesterday I submitted my task to the Europe based start-up.
I really struggled with the task, especially some features not working from the Redux area.
But I submitted anyway.

The recruiter contacted me today that they received my submission. They are reviewing it, but she told me whatever the feedback is, it would be "actionable".

Meaning if they aren't satisfied, they'd give me feedback so I can complete it based on the feedback.
If they are impressed enough, I'd proceed to a technical interview.

The position is a junior position, and they really committed to training enough juniors for their company.

Now, assuming I get the job, I would undergo a three month probation period. Afterward, a laptop and workstation upgrade would be sent to me. A mentor (a senior colleague) would be assigned to me etc

This is just to give an insight on how most foreign startups welcome a new employee. But like I say, the hurdle lies in getting in.

I've received a total of about 12 rejection mails so far. That's just the way it is, it's usually a game of numbers. Not necessarily merit. That's why your CV and GitHub are extremely important.
They are the first impressions. A one-page CV is ideal, though mine is two-pages.

A GitHub with good activity and solid projects is key too. So I believe.
The first impressions would get you the interviews. Then your expertise and knowledge can take over afterwards. Not the other way around.

I have a writing work to complete. Man must collect small change take hold body for now grin
hello. please which payment platform do you use to process payments and do you collect payments in advance for your writing jobs
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by TheManOfTheYear: 3:14pm On May 10, 2022
SuperModerator:

Hello bro, I am full-stack developer. Nextjs and Nestjs.

I feel isolated in my programming journey. I have no tech buddy. None of my friends is into tech.

We can be of help to each other. I can help you with your projects wherever you feel stuck and I believe you can be of help to me too.

Here's my WhatsApp contact if you are interested. 08053662673.

Sure, I'd hit you up
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by TheManOfTheYear: 3:16pm On May 10, 2022
headboyprince:

hello. please which payment platform do you use to process payments and do you collect payments in advance for your writing jobs
Oh, depends.

Most of my payments were bank to bank payments

2 Likes

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by headboyprince(m): 3:23pm On May 10, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:
Oh, depends.

Most of my payments were bank to bank payments
you mean through western union, or is there another way of making direct bank to bank payments from Nigeria to foreign countries?
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by lateefykn84(m): 3:37pm On May 10, 2022
@TheManOfTheYear please what leve or categories to start learning software developer as novice but have little computer knowledge

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (17) (Reply)

High Profile Twitter Accounts Hacked By Bitcoin Scammers / Mass Resignation Of Software Engineers Disrupts Banks Digitisation Move / Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.