Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,955 members, 7,810,648 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:42 PM

My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far - Programming (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far (47632 Views)

Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker / 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast / Junior Developer Internship So Hard To Find (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by Najdorf: 10:01am On May 04, 2022
The5DME:
You won't go far in this field if you keep asking silly questions like the one you asked above.
Bye!
Some Nigerians just wake up angry grin

Bro chill

13 Likes

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by Deepocean(m): 12:09pm On May 04, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:
5DME and Deepocean, please can we all calm down and take a chill pill.

This thread is for us to learn and examine the process of breaking into a fast growing field like tech. Not for heated exchanges and name-callings.

Let's behave like professionals that we are. Thanks

You are welcome.
Don't mind me brother.
Good afternoon.

5 Likes

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by AnthonyAk(m): 3:23pm On May 06, 2022
What is ur GitHub?

1 Like

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by Vladm(m): 3:38pm On May 06, 2022
I just started html and css... then my laptop crashed... am 29... i hope i am not too old for this path am choosing...

3 Likes

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by b5ive(m): 3:44pm On May 06, 2022
GitHub is a repository for programmers, the main aim is to allow developers round the world collaborate on projects irrespective of your physical location. I hope this makes sense
AnthonyAk:
What is ur GitHub?

4 Likes

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by olawhyte: 3:45pm On May 06, 2022
I’ve been on JavaScript for a month now and it’s really making me loose my mind. I would like to know how which platforms helped you

1 Like

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by kurajordan(m): 3:48pm On May 06, 2022
Devynecheeh:
I'm an aspiring Web developer with knowledge in html,css,Sass(with some projects) and currently learning JavaScript.. Reading through your story as truly been insightful.. I'm particularly interested in the Technical writing part, I've been looking for resources to guide someone on how to start and i saw a list of sites who pay pple to write contents on Twitter with their pay included.. So can you pls share how i can use the knowledge I've gained so far to start, like areas i can pick to write on...I look forward to your reply... Thanks
Hello Bro, I'm an aspiring web developer too with a knowledge of HTML and CSS, I'm looking forward in moving to Javascript. Please I would like us to linkup. I'm feeling frustrated in this. I don't want to give up. Please

4 Likes

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by b5ive(m): 3:49pm On May 06, 2022
RICHMAN247:
Is it possible for one to learn and grab Javascript and react within 3 months?
Mission Impossicant..........
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by TheManOfTheYear: 3:54pm On May 06, 2022
Who took this to front page? shocked

Oh no please.

2 Likes

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by b5ive(m): 3:57pm On May 06, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:
Who took this to front page? shocked

Oh no please.
It's worth it bruv, your experiences are serving as a guiding light to some people already. Big us�

1 Like

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by fastanddubious(m): 4:02pm On May 06, 2022
Wow
That's a nice documentation bro
But I must confess, I was really confused by all the terms I was seeing
I'll really like to learn how to code
Where can I start from?

2 Likes

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by Itzteewhy(m): 4:09pm On May 06, 2022
I hope people that want to learn coding or programming are aware that it's demanding.

So if you are not determine you might lose focus and possibly give up

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by AnthonyAk(m): 4:12pm On May 06, 2022
b5ive:
GitHub is a repository for programmers, the main aim is to allow developers round the world collaborate on projects irrespective of your physical location. I hope this makes sense

Not what I asked. I asked what is your GitHub username?

1 Like

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by charlesm91(m): 4:14pm On May 06, 2022
RICHMAN247:
Is it possible for one to learn and grab Javascript and react within 3 months?
that shouldn'tbe the goal cos you'll end up not leanring at all. i found javascript bizzare initially, but started to grasp it by using tutorials and coding along, can'r stress it enough, you code as they code and not copy and paste if the source code is provided. By coding along, you'll encounter errors even when what you're watching online works, the errors leads you to develop a skill on how to solve such errors by going online to seek solutions, if you solve that, it's orgasm as a beginner. i learned javascript and react side by side but it took me months. Even now im still learning but God help us all as we put in work.

12 Likes

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by kurajordan(m): 4:15pm On May 06, 2022
Hello please I have a question. I have been learning HTML & CSS for over a month now. And I have gotten more than the basics of it to some extent and I have been able to create some few pages. Some off hand while some with the help of resources/tutorials online. Please when can I start learning Bootstrap or Java script ??

3 Likes

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by teewhydope(m): 4:22pm On May 06, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:
My first attempt at getting a full-time job was with Remotebase.com
It's a Pakistani startup that aims at recruiting and connecting software developers to startups in Silicon Valley, remotely.

The thing sounded so sweet, I say make I apply jare. That would save me the stress of looking for open roles in various companies.

Omo, as I registered on their platform, they asked for my skill set. I put React. Afterward, they said I must pass a skill assessment test, then a technical round, before finally doing a phone call interview. Nawa.

Shey na Google I dey apply for ni? undecided
I sha proceeded with the assessment, which was the first stage.

It was a 1hr+ test on hackerrank. The test was to complete an album store that would return the list of users and music. Omo. grin

Me wey no get rigorous experience, I sha attempt am. Na only onclick event I managed to write. grin

I gave up on the test. I never Sabi reach that level naa.
Now I can't try again until 3 months time. Mtcheew. Who cares. I move on jare.

I would advise you not to move on yet unless you want to be stuck with NG jobs which will only pay you peanuts, you have to keep challenging yourself with DSA and trust me, every foreign jobs requires it. i moved from junior to mid-level dev within six months and now i only consider full remote or contract NG jobs.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by happiness4ever(m): 4:28pm On May 06, 2022
Man of the year in deed

3 Likes

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by God1stson(m): 4:28pm On May 06, 2022
Eniwealth23:

Product design interview mad bro(Europe o coz I don't apply to naija jobs) I mean the task sometimes goes beyond the ordinary. I was given a design task last week to be submitted in 2-3 days. I feel some candidates already submitted but nobody seem to get the scope. I know this because till now the employer hasn't stop adding clues and hints on how to solve the problem. I had to reach to out to few designers that are close so we can work on it together. Till now bros no hope.

Another interview like that begins with the design task, then interview with company hr. It was remaining two, one with the lead designer and a junior ux. The last one will be with the CEO. Like I normally do I sometimes check these individuals profile on LinkedIn to know the wereys I'm up against. The lead designer happens to be a chinko babe like that and her profile scares the sh*t out of me. I mean I was just seeing Cambridge, something Harvard I can't even remember.

Fast forward to interview day na. Interview with hr and lead designer was the same day, I hour each. To cut the long story short, the chinko babe drill me no be small. As a naija boy, I know I can't carry last so I try giving it all it takes. Sometimes during the interview I will just smile and try not to Bleep it up with my responses but that babe is either a saddist or racist. Why? I've had interviews in the past where the white babe will smile and even joke about my name and country.

Now I understand why a naija employer will offer you N70k monthly and their European counterpart go dey beg you with N800-N900k (as long as you are very good). And yes, the job the chinko girl interviewed me for is a remote job in Poland and its 900k monthly.

Though I'm confident I will get a job soon. All the interviews and design tasks have done are well documented so I keep working on them. Though design tasks come in different dimensions so it's difficult to really tell what to expect next. Currently, I have one naija job(remote) which I'm using to sustain. If i mention the pay you will weep for me. I remember telling the CEO I'm only doing it to build my resume, work experience and recommendation afterwards.

Bottom line bros, no be only you o we all share similar challenges.
If u guys talk like this. We wey never enter go dey fear. Like the whole stuff is very hard

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by NaijaDonCast(m): 4:43pm On May 06, 2022
Najdorf:

Some Nigerians just wake up angry grin

Bro chill
Najdorf you play Caissa I guess, that's my favourite variation

1 Like

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by Sheriman(m): 4:54pm On May 06, 2022
Their a lots of jobs opportunity in tech only if you are good at it. Those jobs are begging for the best brains to handle them with reasonable amount of salary.

2 Likes

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by LUAN(m): 4:58pm On May 06, 2022
charlesm91:
that shouldn'tbe the goal cos you'll end up not leanring at all. i found javascript bizzare initially, but started to grasp it by using tutorials and coding along, can'r stress it enough, you code as they code and not copy and paste if the source code is provided. By coding along, you'll encounter errors even when what you're watching online works, the errors leads you to develop a skill on how to solve such errors by going online to seek solutions, if you solve that, it's orgasm as a beginner. i learned javascript and react side by side but it took me months. Even now im still learning but God help us all as we put in work.
I find it difficult to learn code on my phone,..how do I learn using my phone app like sololearn

3 Likes

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by LUAN(m): 5:03pm On May 06, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:
Hi guys, yeah so I'm dedicating this thread for the purpose of outlaying my job hunting experiences so far in getting my first full time tech role.

grin This might give aspiring learners and complete beginners an overview of what to really expect (or so I hope).
I find it difficult learning with my phone app like sololearn,..how do I learn with phone because I don't have a laptop for now

2 Likes

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by Creamz(m): 5:05pm On May 06, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:
At the start of the pandemic, just like most other university students, I found myself back home, with an array of free time and idleness. Well time to get back to my computer. Lol.

I learnt JavaScript, practicing everyday like someone without a life, because I didn't really have any as at then. (Still don't lol).

But JS na beast sha, you cannot understand that language via tutorials, so I started working on pure JS projects, and even discovered stuffs that weren't taught in the tutorials lmao grin

Thank God for Brad Traversy, Dev Ed and Freecodecamp. (I for don give up)

I still dey fight with am o. I just started this week though. The thing dey give me head aches unlike HTML and CSS. What was the easiest way for you to break through this tough language?

2 Likes

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by dmaze: 5:12pm On May 06, 2022
I am a beginner and want to go into coding.

Please what do I need to know.

Following your story earnestly...
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by PapaNnamdi: 5:14pm On May 06, 2022
olawhyte:
I’ve been on JavaScript for a month now and it’s really making me loose my mind. I would like to know how which platforms helped you

You will loose ur mind till you give up,

You will omly learn java script if you refuse to let go, but trust me, JavaScript go make u feel like say ba3 no dey ur brain again,

It happens to all of us

10 Likes

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by PapaNnamdi: 5:19pm On May 06, 2022
Creamz:

I still dey fight with am o. I just started this week though. The thing dey give me head aches unlike HTML and CSS. What was the easiest way for you to break through this tough language?
It's true , don't be in a hurry to learn it,

When JavaScript became frustrating, I just gave up the fact that I will make money from it immediately, and learnt at my own pace,
That was when I started enjoying JavaScript,

It's so flexible u can even use it for backend

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

High Profile Twitter Accounts Hacked By Bitcoin Scammers / Mass Resignation Of Software Engineers Disrupts Banks Digitisation Move / Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.