Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,119 members, 7,814,926 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:45 PM

My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! - Properties (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! (43102 Views)

My Landlady And Her Daughter Want To Finish Me! / Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. / My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by DanjaNinja(m): 5:36am On May 08, 2022
Lightorder:
the landlord may have used all the treasures stored in the Bank of England to build the house, THE TENANTS HAVE RIGHT THAT SHOULD BE RESPECTED. I am both a tenant and a landlord. Don’t tell me what I know. The tenants’ rent is also their sweat and blood, no matter how tiny.

You are not making any sense. Goodnight.
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Lightorder: 5:41am On May 08, 2022
DanjaNinja:

You are not making any sense. Goodnight.
you made sense, good morning
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by frozen70(f): 5:49am On May 08, 2022
Lakatabah:
Nairalanders, I need your help.

I just moved into this new apartment and within a month to the expiration of my rent, I got a call from the caretaker to see him and he told me they would be is increasing the rent unless I renew before it expires but I didn't have it at that moment and pleaded but he said that's the decision of the owners of the house.

The landlady leaves in the building as well but the caretaker receives rent payment and all for reasons best known to them.

I went to see the landlady and she stood her ground that if I can't pay I should leave. Well, I could deduce her actions for doing this as she had a quarrel with my fiancee and it has been settled but she still had it in her mind.

I don't why people have dumb mentality. A landlady and a tenant cannot quarrel and settle in peace anymore.

I choose to pay the rent increase last year in order to let peace reign. On a norms, I would never pay for such an increase( I mean from 200k to 250k) Now, I just got a letter delivered to me this morning which is a notice to quit as my rent just expired last month.

Normally, when my rent expires or about to, the caretaker will call me and ask when will I be renewing it but this time I didn't get anyone at all which means they actually planned it before now.

They didn't even call me for a meeting to discuss, who does that?

And on the letter, there was no reason stated on the quit notice and it's a 6 months eviction notice. I spoke to my lawyer and she said that's how they do these days issuing quit notice without prior notification even when you're paying constantly.

When I went to see the caretaker, he told me it was because I was absent in the last meeting that was held in the compound. What trash! I rained curses on him to the extent that he couldn't voice out a word again. Apparently, he was shocked as I'm always very gentle.

Are they sharing money in the meeting or what? Or I would leave my business and be in a meeting on a weekday when I can always get what was discussed in the meeting from people that were there.

The reason didn't even go down well with me as it got me really annoyed. I have decided to park out but I want to make sure they see pepper.

Can I stay up to a year or more before moving out?

Please I need your advice, thoughts, and ideas. Thanks in advance and pardon my typos as I'm typing from my phone.

If you can afford the rent then use it to pack out, no need to institute quarrel, people are bad these days your life and should be your priority

As for your girlfriend quarrel with your landlady, let her know that quarrelling is not a good habit and seat her down to warn her of quarrelling with people

People are bad and nothing will happen because government can't even save Nigeria talk less of protecting its citizen

1 Like

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Dozie32(m): 6:17am On May 08, 2022
Lakatabah:

I just moved into this new apartment and within a month to the expiration of my rent, I got a call from the caretaker to see him and he told me they would be is increasing the rent unless I renew before it expires but I didn't have it at that moment and pleaded but he said that's the decision of the owners of the house.

The landlady leaves in the building as well but the caretaker receives rent payment and all for reasons best known to them.

I went to see the landlady and she stood her ground that if I can't pay I should leave. Well, I could deduce her actions for doing this as she had a quarrel with my fiancee and it has been settled but she still had it in her mind.

I don't why people have dumb mentality. A landlady and a tenant cannot quarrel and settle in peace anymore.

I choose to pay the rent increase last year in order to let peace reign. On a norms, I would never pay for such an increase( I mean from 200k to 250k) Now, I just got a letter delivered to me this morning which is a notice to quit as my rent just expired last month.

Normally, when my rent expires or about to, the caretaker will call me and ask when will I be renewing it but this time I didn't get anyone at all which means they actually planned it before now.

And on the letter, there was no reason stated on the quit notice and it's a 6 months eviction notice. I spoke to my lawyer and she said that's how they do these days issuing quit notice without prior notification even when you're paying constantly.

When I went to see the caretaker, he told me it was because I was absent in the last meeting that was held in the compound. What trash! I rained curses on him to the extent that he couldn't voice out a word again. Apparently, he was shocked as I'm always very gentle.

Are they sharing money in the meeting or what? Or I would leave my business and be in a meeting on a weekday when I can always get what was discussed in the meeting from people that were there.

The reason didn't even go down well with me as it got me really annoyed. I have decided to park out but I want to make sure they see pepper.

Please I need your advice, thoughts, and ideas. Thanks in advance and pardon my typos as I'm typing from my phone.

You can even stay more than 2years, if you have a good lawyer, who knows the law very well.. The eviction notice, was it from any chamber? If no, then start there to pepper Dem, if its forged na big wahala for them. Make sure you don't misplace the notice, they gave to you.. Cuz time shall come when they will deny it. You can even sue them. Photocopy it to over 50 copies, when you're done, liter the compound with over 25 copies. So that she go know say she don enter one chance grin grin. She go even beg you at last. grin

1 Like

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Udemzy05: 6:21am On May 08, 2022
pizapato:

It is surprising that lots of you can't identify the lack of coherence in the OPs narration. From his narration, I suspect he is a problematic tenant.

Let me point out a few:
1. He claimed he just moved into the house, but he failed to specify when exactly he moved in and how long he has lived there
2. He said once his rent expires, the caretaker usually contact him. That shows that this is not the first time he is renewing his rent there. It also gives an indication that whenever his rent expires, he has to pressed before he pays.
3. His girlfriend had an issue with the landlady. Are you not surprised the girlfriend is having an issues with the landlady of a new house he just moved into. If he has lived there for say 5 years with the girlfriend, it is understandable that misunderstanding is bound to happen occasionally over a long period
But for him to have issues in a short period he claimed to have resided there, the problem seems to be coming from him and his so called girlfriend.
While I understand that some house owners are problematic themselves, and it is more difficult to deal with a landlady than a landlord, a tenant that minds his own business will rarely run into trouble with such house owner even if they are from hell.

I did not bother to read the whole story as the start already gave me an indication of his kind of person

This is the problem I'm having with some of you here.

You guys are making it look like it's a very big sin to have a misunderstanding with your landlord or landlady.

I'm trying to let you guys know that things like this can happen especially in a compound where the landlord/land lady is staying,it doesn't mean it can't be resolved.

Some of you expect the tenant to always do yes sir / yes ma to everything and anything, which I believe is wrong.

That's my own issue.

2 Likes

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by acorntree(m): 6:26am On May 08, 2022
Udemzy05:

This is the problem I'm having with some of you here.

You guys are making it look like it's a very big sin to have a misunderstanding with your landlord or landlady.

I'm trying to let you guys know that things like this can happen especially in a compound where the landlord/land lady is staying,it doesn't mean it can't be resolved.

Some of you expect the tenant to always do yes sir / yes ma to everything and anything, which I believe is wrong.

That's my own issue.

Does it even make sense building a house for commercial purpose only to end up with troublesome tenants like this OP. OP please for peace leave the house peaceful, you're not entitled to any free rent. It's not your father or mother properties. This is someone sweat. Please , your landlord is doing business not charity
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by acorntree(m): 6:29am On May 08, 2022
Dozie32:

You can even stay more than 2years, if you have a good lawyer, who knows the law very well.. The eviction notice, was it from any chamber? If no, then start there to pepper Dem, if its forged na big wahala for them. Make sure you don't misplace the notice, they gave to you.. Cuz time shall come when they will deny it. You can even sue them. Photocopy it to over 50 copies, when you're done, liter the compound with over 25 copies. So that she go know say she don enter one chance grin grin. She go even beg you at last. grin

And you expect to live long with this evil act!
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by CSTRR: 6:30am On May 08, 2022
Your fiancee na yeye women.

The type that makes things difficult for their partners.
Of all people, it's the landlady she went to fight with.

Who send her message?Na she dey pay house rent?

You better caution her very well.

And some landlords are quite unforgiving.

1 Like

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Udemzy05: 6:34am On May 08, 2022
acorntree:

Does it even make sense building a house for commercial purpose only to end up with troublesome tenants like this OP. OP please for peace leave the house peaceful, you're not entitled to any free rent. It's not your father or mother properties. This is someone sweat. Please , your landlord is doing business not charity

I believe I've made my point clear,you're free to say your own opinion.

Whether op is troublesome or not,I'm stating it here that having a misunderstanding with your landlord/land lady is part of human nature.

Pls read and understand my post before you quote, whether it's the landlord sweat or not op didn't say it was because he stop paying rent that's why he was given the quit notice.

He said I believe it's because his fiancé had a misunderstanding with the landlady which was resolved.
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by CSTRR: 6:34am On May 08, 2022
acorntree:

Abeg forget all this "sweat" talk.

He is not living there for free. He pays rents as at when due.

The landlady is sacking him for personal sentimental reasons, not because of failure to pay.

She built the house out of her sweat, and he is paying for it out of his sweat too.

He should leave as soon as possible though.

1 Like

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by dangwarmai(m): 6:41am On May 08, 2022
How I wish I know your landlady.

I will go and read what you wrote in the nairaland.
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Theevilone(m): 6:47am On May 08, 2022
Hmm see luck oo, here you dare not exceed a week to renew your rent and your owing up to a month.
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by kolasoft: 6:54am On May 08, 2022
Since you know you can attend the meeting you should have tender apology before the meeting because without apology you are calling those attend the meeting fool if everybody think the way you think the meeting will not hold
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by eziemich: 7:00am On May 08, 2022
Ops you're a bad tenant.
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by toprealman: 7:10am On May 08, 2022
Lakatabah:

This is for your next place of abode:
Let them know when you will be available for meetings, it is very important. If you cannot attend, let your fiancee represent you. Those that attend are not jobless, they also have business engagement too. Most meetings hold late evenings and by that time many are back. Show interest....it helps build internal relationships too.
You see this thing called tennant- house owner issue. Avoid it at all cost. Pepper them with goodness and mercy. Add joy and happiness sef!.
You will be a house owner too.....till then, just try and adjust.
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by WHITELIGHTER: 7:16am On May 08, 2022
Theevilone:
Hmm see luck oo, here you dare not exceed a week to renew your rent and your owing up to a month.

U dey mind the guy? He dey even wait make Caretaker call am for him rent wey don due....Las las Na him go see pepper
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by UncleKoboko: 7:23am On May 08, 2022
ttobizz:

I suspect you're op's landlady
Mooh247 should be one of those jobless landlady's child. Mummy's boy...

Nothing more
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Aarenasbaba(m): 7:32am On May 08, 2022

Please I need your advice, thoughts, and ideas. Thanks in advance and pardon my typos as I'm typing from my phone.[/quote]
You should have asked your lawyer all this question

1 Like

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by rukyboy(m): 7:36am On May 08, 2022
clericuzzio:

She has given you quit notice. Just ignore it until she serves you court letter.
On the first summon date, don't go, it would be rescheduled. Maybe 3months.

Then be present at the second hearing at this time ask the judge to give you time to get a lawyer to stand or represent you. The case would be adjourned for another 3months. Now you have stayed 6months.

On the 3rd hearing date, ask the lawyer to find excuse to give you time to file your defense and come up with your own position. The case would be extended by 3months again.

On the Fourth hearing, tell the judge that your finance has really dwindled and that the landlady should give you 6months to 1year to raise another rent fee, you were affected by covid.

After the 6months to 1 year expiration, tell the judge you have managed to raise just 50k and that you are still trying your best to raise it to 300k to get a decent apartment. You will definitely be obliged, cos the court doesn't expect you to sleep on the street or under bridge.

With this strategy you've lived your profit off her and even the fees you paid.

Then gently look for a decent place where the landlord doesn't stay in the same compound or that doesn't depend on rents for survival.

Note: I'm currently in same page with you as my own landlady has given me quit notice as well.
I will vacate her residence next year December

You are evil.

Do you know the stress people pass through to build houses??

Bastard!!!
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by DaveHarry(m): 7:41am On May 08, 2022
Bros that 6months is the ideal for a yearly tenant. I had same issue back in February when my rent was just barely 4 months old. The landlord and his lawyer think say I no know anything. I just discarded the notice. Na only dem resolve d matter within. 6 months notice before/after your rent expires is okay.

1 Like

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by clericuzzio(m): 7:57am On May 08, 2022
rukyboy:

You are evil.

Bastard!!!

Did you read the landlady's evil act
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by clericuzzio(m): 8:03am On May 08, 2022
DanjaNinja:

Ignorance of the law is no excuse. It is called 'Mense profit'. And the court will gladly collect it. You people think Nigeria is completely lawless. You never jam Landlord when ready for you.

This happens when the tenant has done so many damages to the owners house and was still living there.
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by clericuzzio(m): 8:05am On May 08, 2022
rukyboy:

You are evil.

Bastard!!!

I think you are the bastard here cos you are supporting evil..Even if the landlady owns the house, does that mean the tenant doesn't have his or her own right?

So a tenant can't have peace in the house as if he/she is living there for free.

You have not met a landlord that will do you nonsense like this that's why you are opening your smelly mouth to talk trash
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by MahatmaGhandi: 8:27am On May 08, 2022
bomasek:
1st rule of the thumb,never stay in same compound your landlord lives.

If you are in Lagos,you can drag her to dispute resolution court at Alausa while you begin your hunt for a new apartment. Wish you the best

Some people get mind ooo. I don't pray to have Court case with a neighbour, this is not Europe ooo, dem go use juju finish you, if dem no use juju, dey can take you out at any time because dem go monitor your movement. It is not wise to go to court with a neighbour in this part of the world where security zero and juju come be reality. God abeg oooo.
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by ttobizz(m): 8:32am On May 08, 2022
UncleKoboko:

Mooh247 should be one of those jobless landlady's child. Mummy's boy...

Nothing more

How deos this correlate?
He is not being evicted for not paying his rent, remember.
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Mooh247: 8:35am On May 08, 2022
ttobizz:

How deos this correlate?
He is not being evicted for not paying his rent, remember.

No mind am my brother

Nothing personal here , we are just giving opinion about an issue

Some are overly emotional and sentimental this days .. throwing insult about like that would fix anything
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Excuzeme: 8:40am On May 08, 2022
Lakatabah:

I choose to pay the[b] rent increase last year[/b] in order to let peace reign. On a norms, I would never pay for such an increase( I mean from 200k to 250k) Now, I just got a letter delivered to me this morning which is a notice to quit as my rent just expired last month.

Normally, when my rent expires or about to, the caretaker will call me and ask when will I be renewing it but this time I didn't get anyone at al[/b]l which means they actually planned it before now.

And on the letter, there was no reason stated on the quit notice and [b]it's a 6 months eviction notice
. I spoke to my lawyer and she said that's how they do these days issuing quit notice without prior notification even when you're paying constantly.

I have decided to park out but I want to make sure they see pepper.

Please I need your advice, thoughts, and ideas. .

I am sure this story is FABRICATED!
But let us use it to catch cruise by assuming it is real. grin

From the Amount you're paying, so it is a BLOODY ONE ROOM you are renting and making all these silly noises, threatening and insulting the caretaker, for what?
You also lied a lot in the story (why l concluded it is not even true) saying you just moved in, and your (one year) rent is about to expire.
Then you went on to say they increased the Rent last Year, meaning this would be your seond year in the house, at the very least!
Amateurs like you should not be writing tales. grin grin

So, it is the Landlords duty to alert you when your rent expires, your own brain is non-functional, right?

But for the sake of others like you, in the real world. let me offer FREE Legal Counselling this Sunday morning:

- If your Rent expires and you have not renewed it, you become a Tenant-at-Will, you are no longer covered by the protection enshrined in the tenancy laws.

- Your Renewal must be Signed, Sealed and Delivered, unfailingly, by the last day of the current Rent/lease.
My advise is that you renew your Rent, at least a Month before it expires, it gives you time to negotiate and take further action, if need be.
Landlords generally respect tenants who dont owe them or wait to be asked to pay their rent.

- For a One year Rent, the Period of "Quit Notice" is Six Months, anything more than that, is at the Owner's discretion but the Law prescribed Six Months.
- The Quit Notice Period can run concurrently with your Rent, that is, if your Rent remains say for example, Six Months, the landlord can issue you with a Six Months Quit Notice, that expires on the Anniversary of your Rent. It is Legal.

- Quit Notice "Period" are NOT Free-of-Rent, as long as you have not dropped the key to the House Owner, you are still occupying the Rent and you are liable for every Penny, till you move out.

- A House Owner will apply for what is called "Menes Profit", from the Court, to recover all the Debt you owe, for the Period you were in the House and did not pay, for any damage you caused to the property while there. If you fail to pay, they will auction your belongings at very ridiculous prices (e.g. your 2015 Camry can be sold for #200,000:00 by the Bailiff of the Court, you have No Say in it. So you better have the cash you are owing ready!) undecided grin

As for the Landlord:
- Your Rent increases must be "Reasonable" though we all know that inflation and price increases in Nigeria are neither predictable nor reasonable. Go and Price a Ton of Iron Rods today and then go back there next week, you will see what l mean. The best way to increase your Rent, in to get New Tenants, standing ones are always arguing and reluctant to pay but they will pay more, in the New Rent they are going.

- You must let your tenant enjoy the use of the property, within reasonable parameters, they are paying for it! Dont disturb them unnecessarily.
- Give then an signed and sealed Rent Agreement which details their rights and obligations to you the owner, as well as yours too them and stick to the letter of the document. Dont just collect "Agreement Fee" without executing a Proper Agreement that can stand in Court.
If you dont, tenants will make a nuisance of you and embarrass you in public. if you cant do it, contact me, l will do it for you for a fee.

-The Quit Notice is not just any other piece of Document, it has a prescribed format or items that must take a particular shape otherwise, it becomes a nullity and is deemed INVALID. Seek direction, if you want to serve it yourself.

- If a tenant is evading Notice, you can paste it on his door but ensure the process is well documented, preferably Video-taped. Find a way to ensure the date it is "pasted on that door", can be verified. There are means and ways of doing that.

- Ensure that all utilities and conveniences provided for, are functioning properly, if there is a breakdown, repair it for your tenant, as long as it is not due to deliberate damage. (Their Deposit should take care of any deliberate damage or that which arises from carelessness.
- Whatever they pay for, ensure they have value for it.

- Follow due process in ejecting an obstinate tenant, dont be acting like a thug and removing roof or breaking doors!
it is not as difficult as people think. You can even DIY the process! The forms are available, fill it and let the Court do the rest.

Generally, l dont take nonsense from Renters (like this Clown that is misbehaving and still asking if he can stay there for one year! By the time l am through with him, he will be going back to his Village, to live in a Hut.) and likewise, l will do everything to protect the interest of a tenant, if the Landlord wants to cheat or oppress the tenant.

But as we can see from the story of this guy, most Tenants (not all, especially those from a certain tribe which l will not mention but l can bet this Poster is from there undecided ) like to take advantage of their Landlord and punish them by with-holding their rent or abusing the use of their Property.

Finally, the Owner of the House will always have the final say! No matter which way you cut it in Court, it is still the tenant that will Vacate the House!.
Before you start threatening or arguing with your House Owner, think about it properly: Do you have the initial outlay to rent another house immediately? If you dont, better pipe down and settle with your Landlord, becoming Homeless can lead to a lot of other problems, which l dont wish for anyone.

End of Story. grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Helpfromabove1(m): 8:40am On May 08, 2022
Daroldigits:
Fear not, by law you're entitle to six months without pay in the house...let her know that or send her to court

Pls which law book of which country says this ?

Pls before you advice someone pls be very sure of what you are about to say . And for the record no law book in any part of Nigeria says it free , through in practice many tenant don't pay for the quit notice period but by law it's not free

1 Like

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Helpfromabove1(m): 8:51am On May 08, 2022
Thanks for this am glad I didn't just stop at front page

Excuzeme:

I am sure this story is FABRICATED!
But let us use it to catch cruise by assuming it is real. grin

From the Amount you're paying, so it is a BLOODY ONE ROOM you are renting and making all these silly noises, threatening and insulting the caretaker, for what?
You also lied a lot in the story (why l concluded it is not even true) saying you just moved in, and your (one year) rent is about to expire.
Then you went on to say they increased the Rent last Year, meaning this would be your seond year in the house, at the very least!
Amateurs like you should not be writing tales. grin grin

So, it is the Landlords duty to alert you when your rent expires, your own brain is non-functional, right?

But for the sake of others like you, in the real world. let me offer FREE Legal Counselling this Sunday morning:

- If your Rent expires and you have not renewed it, you become a Tenant-at-Will, you are no longer covered by the protection enshrined in the tenancy laws.

- Your Renewal must be Signed, Sealed and Delivered, unfailingly, by the last day of the current Rent/lease.
My advise is that you renew your Rent, at least a Month before it expires, it gives you time to negotiate and take further action, if need be.
Landlords generally respect tenants who dont owe them or wait to be asked to pay their rent.

- For a One year Rent, the Period of "Quit Notice" is Six Months, anything more than that, is at the Owner's discretion but the Law prescribed Six Months.
- The Quit Notice Period can run concurrently with your Rent, that is, if your Rent remains say for example, Six Months, the landlord can issue you with a Six Months Quit Notice, that expires on the Anniversary of your Rent. It is Legal.

- Quit Notice "Period" are NOT Free-of-Rent, as long as you have not dropped the key to the House Owner, you are still occupying the Rent and you are liable for every Penny, till you move out.

- A House Owner will apply for what is called "Menes Profit", from the Court, to recover all the Debt you owe, for the Period you were in the House and did not pay, for any damage you caused to the property while there. If you fail to pay, they will auction your belongings at very ridiculous prices (e.g. your 2015 Camry can be sold for #200,000:00 by the Bailiff of the Court, you have No Say in it. So you better have the cash you are owing ready!) undecided grin

As for the Landlord:
- Your Rent increases must be "Reasonable" though we all know that inflation and price increases in Nigeria are neither predictable nor reasonable. Go and Price a Ton of Iron Rods today and then go back there next week, you will see what l mean. The best way to increase your Rent, in to get New Tenants, standing ones are always arguing and reluctant to pay but they will pay more, in the New Rent they are going.

- You must let your tenant enjoy the use of the property, within reasonable parameters, they are paying for it! Dont disturb them unnecessarily.
- Give then an signed and sealed Rent Agreement which details their rights and obligations to you the owner, as well as yours too them and stick to the letter of the document. Dont just collect "Agreement Fee" without executing a Proper Agreement that can stand in Court.
If you dont, tenants will make a nuisance of you and embarrass you in public. if you cant do it, contact me, l will do it for you for a fee.

-The Quit Notice is not just any other piece of Document, it has a prescribed format or items that must take a particular shape otherwise, it becomes a nullity and is deemed INVALID. Seek direction, if you want to serve it yourself.

- If a tenant is evading Notice, you can paste it on his door but ensure the process is well documented, preferably Video-taped. Find a way to ensure the date it is "pasted on that door", can be verified. There are means and ways of doing that.

- Ensure that all utilities and conveniences provided for, are functioning properly, if there is a breakdown, repair it for your tenant, as long as it is not due to deliberate damage. (Their Deposit should take care of any deliberate damage or that which arises from carelessness.
- Whatever they pay for, ensure they have value for it.

- Follow due process in ejecting an obstinate tenant, dont be acting like a thug and removing roof or breaking doors!
it is not as difficult as people think. You can even DIY the process! The forms are available, fill it and let the Court do the rest.

Generally, l dont take nonsense from Renters (like this Clown that is misbehaving and still asking if he can stay there for one year! By the time l am through with him, he will be going back to his Village, to live in a Hut.) and likewise, l will do everything to protect the interest of a tenant, if the Landlord wants to cheat or oppress the tenant.

But as we can see from the story of this guy, most Tenants (not all, especially those from a certain tribe which l will not mention but l can bet this Poster is from there undecided ) like to take advantage of their Landlord and punish them by with-holding their rent or abusing the use of their Property.

Finally, the Owner of the House will always have the final say! No matter which way you cut it in Court, it is still the tenant that will Vacate the House!.
Before you start threatening or arguing with your House Owner, think about it properly: Do you have the initial outlay to rent another house immediately? If you dont, better pipe down and settle with your Landlord, becoming Homeless can lead to a lot of other problems, which l dont wish for anyone.

End of Story. grin

2 Likes

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Nobody: 8:54am On May 08, 2022
bomasek:

If you are in Lagos,you can drag her to dispute resolution court at Alausa while you begin your hunt for a new apartment. Wish you the best

I disagree living in a house without landlord is worse, nobody to complain to
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Portifar: 9:06am On May 08, 2022
bomasek:

The notion that you don't stay in the same house with your landlord/landlady is a lie. Some of us are liked by our tenants. There was this Igbo woman that had that mentality, after a year, she came to confess that she belonged to the school of people that believe you don't live with your landlord. Infact she is enjoying our presence in the building. So pls you guys should not be generalising. Thank you.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Building A Student Hostel : Profitability And Challenges / Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? / How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.