Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,665 members, 7,816,716 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:52 PM

My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! (43117 Views)

My Landlady And Her Daughter Want To Finish Me! / Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. / My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by 07kjb: 8:21pm On May 07, 2022
Can you stay up to a year before moving out in another man's investment

Na to call area boys for you since you don't know how to plead

3 Likes

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Nobody: 8:22pm On May 07, 2022
toloohthegreat:
But not everything is about a bag of cement. Life is more than that. We should be as rational as possible. Fairness will make you and I safe again in this world.

world is not fair bro!
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Toks2008(m): 8:25pm On May 07, 2022
E be like sey she no Wan collect rent again for the next one year.

Tell her to go court or resolve the matter with you.

At least you have 3 to 6 months grace to look for another apartment without paying any rent to her if she insists you leave.

1 Like

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Fcwilly: 8:25pm On May 07, 2022
Lakatabah:
Nairalanders, I need your help.

I just moved into this new apartment and within a month to the expiration of my rent, I got a call from the caretaker to see him and he told me they would be is increasing the rent unless I renew before it expires but I didn't have it at that moment and pleaded but he said that's the decision of the owners of the house.

The landlady leaves in the building as well but the caretaker receives rent payment and all for reasons best known to them.

I went to see the landlady and she stood her ground that if I can't pay I should leave. Well, I could deduce her actions for doing this as she had a quarrel with my fiancee and it has been settled but she still had it in her mind.

I don't why people have dumb mentality. A landlady and a tenant cannot quarrel and settle in peace anymore.

I choose to pay the rent increase last year in order to let peace reign. On a norms, I would never pay for such an increase( I mean from 200k to 250k) Now, I just got a letter delivered to me this morning which is a notice to quit as my rent just expired last month.

Normally, when my rent expires or about to, the caretaker will call me and ask when will I be renewing it but this time I didn't get anyone at all which means they actually planned it before now.

They didn't even call me for a meeting to discuss, who does that?

And on the letter, there was no reason stated on the quit notice and it's a 6 months eviction notice. I spoke to my lawyer and she said that's how they do these days issuing quit notice without prior notification even when you're paying constantly.

When I went to see the caretaker, he told me it was because I was absent in the last meeting that was held in the compound. What trash! I rained curses on him to the extent that he couldn't voice out a word again. Apparently, he was shocked as I'm always very gentle.

Are they sharing money in the meeting or what? Or I would leave my business and be in a meeting on a weekday when I can always get what was discussed in the meeting from people that were there.

The reason didn't even go down well with me as it got me really annoyed. I have decided to park out but I want to make sure they see pepper.

Can I stay up to a year or more before moving out?

Please I need your advice, thoughts, and ideas. Thanks in advance and pardon my typos as I'm typing from my phone.

Just hear yourself,
1:: you just moved into the new apartment, *******

"Normally, when my rent expires or about to, the caretaker will call me and ask when will I be renewing it but this time I didn't get anyone at all which means they actually planned it before now"

2:: A guy you have not married just a fiancee is the one that is causing the brouhaha between you and your landlady. How come your fiancée cannot play an invisible game with your landlady? Knowing fully well that any spat with the woman may affect you.

After discovering this errors I stopped reading your write-up. It's either you are lying to us or you or .................

2 Likes

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Nobody: 8:26pm On May 07, 2022
Simpubozz:

What if one hasn’t seen a place to rent within that 6months??

Ask for an extension/grace period but op pack out of the house, u are not the owner ok! unless u want to sleep in prison u would be arrested on sat, so that u can stay there sun, Mon then Tuesday u would be released! God help u if IPOB don't issue another two day sit at home, then u.would be out on friday! tell buhari to stay out of SE region then
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by femijay8271(m): 8:27pm On May 07, 2022
Lakatabah:

I just moved into this new apartment and within a month to the expiration of my rent, I got a call from the caretaker to see him and he told me they would be is increasing the rent unless I renew before it expires but I didn't have it at that moment and pleaded but he said that's the decision of the owners of the house.

The landlady leaves in the building as well but the caretaker receives rent payment and all for reasons best known to them.

I went to see the landlady and she stood her ground that if I can't pay I should leave. Well, I could deduce her actions for doing this as she had a quarrel with my fiancee and it has been settled but she still had it in her mind.

I don't why people have dumb mentality. A landlady and a tenant cannot quarrel and settle in peace anymore.

I choose to pay the rent increase last year in order to let peace reign. On a norms, I would never pay for such an increase( I mean from 200k to 250k) Now, I just got a letter delivered to me this morning which is a notice to quit as my rent just expired last month.

Normally, when my rent expires or about to, the caretaker will call me and ask when will I be renewing it but this time I didn't get anyone at all which means they actually planned it before now.

And on the letter, there was no reason stated on the quit notice and it's a 6 months eviction notice. I spoke to my lawyer and she said that's how they do these days issuing quit notice without prior notification even when you're paying constantly.

When I went to see the caretaker, he told me it was because I was absent in the last meeting that was held in the compound. What trash! I rained curses on him to the extent that he couldn't voice out a word again. Apparently, he was shocked as I'm always very gentle.

Are they sharing money in the meeting or what? Or I would leave my business and be in a meeting on a weekday when I can always get what was discussed in the meeting from people that were there.

The reason didn't even go down well with me as it got me really annoyed. I have decided to park out but I want to make sure they see pepper.

Please I need your advice, thoughts, and ideas. Thanks in advance and pardon my typos as I'm typing from my phone.

Bro, assuming as dem bring d letter for ur absent, e for better, that if u later see ham, u go just lockup like say u no know anything.... Na our family lawyer tell me dat secret
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by oloko1859(m): 8:27pm On May 07, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

I’ll never ever rent a residence to any Nigerian.

I have a 2 bedroom flat just sitting there unused but I’ll never rent it out due to AH like OP.

If you won't rent to a Nigerian, at least you can help a Nigerian like me. If you remove Lagos rent from my headache, minus 1 responsibility grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Udemzy05: 8:27pm On May 07, 2022
Mooh247:

I have handled horrible tenants before and I know how it feels.... They would start qouting humam right over your sweat and blood even without contributing a bag of cement to you

Oh cos it's your sweat and blood,only God knows if it's not stolen money sef,that one now gives you the right to behave like an animal?

God knows I can never stay in the same compound with the landlord or landlady.

Most of them are witches and wizards.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by ZooOga: 8:28pm On May 07, 2022
The landlady leaves

SMH ...The only site that glorifies this illiteracy. undecided

3 Likes

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by sammirano: 8:28pm On May 07, 2022
Stupid omo yiboo obviously. Thats why landlords now post only Yoruba client in vacancy now.

2 Likes

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by fred04(m): 8:30pm On May 07, 2022
Oga make small case n leave free house for six months, make sure u save for a new house
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Udemzy05: 8:30pm On May 07, 2022
pocohantas:
Your fiancee left her own house and came to yours to have a misunderstanding with your landlady?

Your fiancee should learn tact and conflict resolution first, because I am here wondering wetin bring that kind nonsense. Na my own be that.

Anyone can have a misunderstanding , Moreover it has been settled.

Try dey read, no be very body Sabi do eye service with land lord/ land lady.

1 Like

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Udemzy05: 8:31pm On May 07, 2022
sammirano:
Stupid omo yiboo obviously. Thats why landlords now post only Yoruba client in vacancy now.

Cos most of the Yoruba tenants are ass lickers.

1 Like

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by aribisala0(m): 8:32pm On May 07, 2022
bomasek:
1st rule of the thumb,never stay in same compound your landlord lives.

If you are in Lagos,you can drag her to dispute resolution court at Alausa while you begin your hunt for a new apartment. Wish you the best
What is the dispute?

1 Like

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Ameduedwin: 8:33pm On May 07, 2022
TCD:
Why would u want to stay a year before moving out? She has given you 6 monts notice for you to fnd a place and move. If a landlady doesnt want you, its her property, you have no rights to it. BE Honourable and move out within those 6 months.
did you know the type of job he is doing? Wether the business he is doing Will enable him to raise such money within six months or is only house rent he came to City to pay, he didn't have any other need to cater for. If landlord evict you every year any house you rent what will become you?
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Lordofalmajiri(f): 8:33pm On May 07, 2022
Go build your own house

1 Like

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Mcslize: 8:33pm On May 07, 2022
Some ladies wahala is too much. That's how a man was evicted from a house. Why? Any time the man goes to work, the wife will be causing troubles in the compound. Once the man is back from work, the wife will behave very well like a normal person. But once the man just steps his foot out of the house to work, she will start quarrelling with people in the compound.

The owner of the house finally gave them a notice to quit and vowed that it's only a single person they will give the house to next time.

So, you see? Some ladies like trouble too much. There are couples of ladies that are cool headed though. You will never see them quarrel with their landlord or landlady.

Any where you stay, always caution your partner to be in good terms with the owner of the house until you build your own. This applies to everyone. If you are in good terms with the owner of the house, you will always enjoy your stay whichever house you stay.

Greet your landlord and landlady any time you see them. It goes a long way. So, op, try and caution your partner to always be in good terms with the house owner in the next place you will pack to if not, they will also evict you guys again and again.

Good character goes a long way. Don't ever allow anything to make you quarrel with your landlord or landlady in any house you stay.

Lakatabah

1 Like

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by pocohantas(f): 8:33pm On May 07, 2022
Udemzy05:

Anyone can have a misunderstanding , Moreover it has been settled.

Try dey read, no be very body Sabi do eye service with land lord/ land lady.

I read and I still see no reason the FIANCEE should have a misunderstanding with her man’s landlady. I am sure most men would hardly ever buy the fights of their woman, instead they will go there to talk man-to-man. But not my gender. Always acting like na them first get man. Toor!!

2 Likes

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Clash01: 8:34pm On May 07, 2022
Lakatabah:

Why you rent house wey landlady the stay?

That's the first thing I always ask before I rent any house.
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Daroldigits: 8:34pm On May 07, 2022
Fear not, by law you're entitle to six months without pay in the house...let her know that or send her to court

1 Like

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by PrinceGallant: 8:34pm On May 07, 2022
Oga, park your loads and leave, wetin you wan get from trouble? Abeg, life is too brief to showing pepper. Live a peaceful life and enjoy
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Chukabiz(m): 8:34pm On May 07, 2022
"Can you stay up to a year?" In somebody's house?
What kind of person are you? From your write-up, Your type can't even give a tenant up to 3 months to pack out talk more of six. Rubbish

2 Likes

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Myexdisturbs: 8:35pm On May 07, 2022
Mooh247:
cool

[s]Over entitlement mentality on someone else property

You have 12 whole month to look for your next year rent and you claim you don't have it as at expiration of your rent

You felt too busy to attend meetings in the house you reside, meeting regarding welfare of the house which is part of your core responsibility as a tenant

Your fiancee had a quarel with the owner of the property

You cursed the caretaker of the property

You better start looking for a new place because highest you can get is 3 month from the reciept of the first notice[/s]

1 Like

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by oloko1859(m): 8:35pm On May 07, 2022
The moment your landlady increased your rent before your first renewal, that was a signal to save for a new apartment. You're not someone she wants there

Even if you've married that your fiancee, I think it's polite enough to avoid certain compound issues either tenant or landlady. Besides, the lease & receipt isn't in her name, she shouldn't get involved in those kind of things

The fact that you weren't at a meeting doesn't mean they want you to leave your business, but how you come back to tell them you couldn't attend that matters. I'm sure all those that attended aren't idle

1 thing I always say to people is, no matter how stubborn you are with your landlord or landlady, you'll vacate that house at some point & a house where you're living unhappily or you go back to meet unfriendly atmosphere daily isn't a healthy one

In your next accommodation, avoid where the landlord/landlady is if you know you're bound to have friction with them, but I'm quite certain you may likely have issues with even your co-tenanta. Just apply more patience & wisdom. Everybody dey para

2 Likes

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Myexdisturbs: 8:36pm On May 07, 2022
Mooh247:

[s]I have handled horrible tenants before and I know how it feels.... They would start qouting humam right over your sweat and blood even without contributing a bag of cement to you[/s]
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Kingjames(m): 8:36pm On May 07, 2022
He is out of cash at the moment

What next
SUPERPACK:
Since they gave you six months quit notice I will advise you keep to the notice and get a new place like you said since you are no longer wanted. Trying to stay one extra year with malice in mind can end badly for either you or the owner. Please avoid trouble by all means, and put yourself in the owners shoe because one day you too will be a landlord and wont like such from a tenant.
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Alawode01(m): 8:40pm On May 07, 2022
Case close, better for to take your leave gently,to avoid trouble, they've done the best thing to give you notice of quit 6mnts ultimatum, termination of tanant agreement is as following in expiration date of agreed, unable to make good use, unable to abides by rule of agreement, for unlawful operation,as against people welfare (bridges of peace), therefore just take your leave quietly because you can't win them any court,apart for the assault and arrassement that include,so you don't take your leave it may lead to terrible end, you can't decide for the owner, she has final say on his own property of his possession .

1 Like

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by TheGiftedOne(m): 8:40pm On May 07, 2022
The FTC on this thread have little or no sense at all. Cant believe a whooping 40 something ppl liked that nonsense he typed. smh.

1 Like

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by SIONKPO1(m): 8:40pm On May 07, 2022
Mooh247:
cool

Over entitlement mentality on someone else property

You have 12 whole month to look for your next year rent and you claim you don't have it as at expiration of your rent

You felt too busy to attend meetings in the house you reside, meeting regarding welfare of the house which is part of your core responsibility as a tenant

Your fiancee had a quarel with the owner of the property

You cursed the caretaker of the property

You better start looking for a new place because highest you can get is 3 month from the reciept of the first notice

You sounds stupid
you get today no mean say everybody get
no one knows tomorrow

2 Likes

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by vickydevoka(m): 8:41pm On May 07, 2022
Lakatabah:

Mimu. Na landlady u de fear. Na dis kind case I de like buy
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Udemzy05: 8:42pm On May 07, 2022
pocohantas:

I read and I still see no reason the FIANCEE should have a misunderstanding with her man’s landlady. I am sure most men would hardly ever buy the fights of their woman, instead they will go there to talk man-to-man. But not my gender. Always acting like na them first get man. Toor!!

Well some land lady can be funny,I have a friend that had an issue with the land lady.

The water pumping machine switch is in their room and they have to dictate how many times they will use water,and the funny thing is if it get spoilt the tenants will be the one to fix it.

I can never stay in the same house with the landlord/landlady.

The funny thing is if you go against their rule,you automatically turn an enemy, because he or she is the owner of the building,you must do whatever they say,and when you don't,you're labeled a bad person.

Most yorubas are ass lickers, that's why you see some landlord saying they want only Yoruba tenants because those ones will gladly do anything they say or want unlike Omo igbo.

1 Like

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Onyeziokwu(m): 8:42pm On May 07, 2022
Lakatabah:

Over entitlement mentality and arrogancy too!

From your write-up, one could easily deduce your type, period!

So, you always need to be reminded on the expiration of your rent right? Nigerians self!

Again, those present at the house meeting are jobless right? Do you wanna tell the house there wasn't any prior notice giving to you on the date/time of the meeting?

Oga, goan build your own apartment and stop this madness of yours on some else sweat please!

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Construction Management Information System Course And Certification / Building A Student Hostel : Profitability And Challenges / Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.