Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,031 members, 7,814,518 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:18 PM

My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! - Properties (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! (43078 Views)

My Landlady And Her Daughter Want To Finish Me! / Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. / My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Drone95(m): 9:36pm On May 07, 2022
May the Almighty make we tenants landlords and landladies one day.
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by DanjaNinja(m): 9:36pm On May 07, 2022
princewarri1985:
Thank God you know that Nigeria is a very lawless country, Non be me spoil the country oh, na so we meet am so we all go just join hand together spoil the country finish because to serve Nigeria non be by force and like say the country good you for non japa leave the country, WE DIE HERE

While Nigerians may be lawless. Nigeria is not as lawless as we think. The Landlord in this case is following due process. It doesn't even need to get to court. After the 6months, if the ee-diot doesn't move, she would file a motion to reclaim her property. And within 2months at most, the tenant would be evicted by the police.

2 Likes

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Xj2020: 9:36pm On May 07, 2022
I once stayed in a house were the landlady also stayed. This old mama was nothing but trouble personified. Do you know what, this old mama died two months after serving me quit notice of 6 month. The good thing however is that I packed out of the house once my rent expired without making noise and two months after I packed out she died. Imagine if I had stayed longer than expected all in the name of fighting for my right only God knows what would have happened as she had reported me to her children that I was a problem to her even when I had been minding my own business
dulux07:
"Don't show them any pepper" it might boomerang, just pack out peacefully as soon as you can. No point staying in an house you are no longer wanted, besides you will still have to leave someday.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Lightorder: 9:36pm On May 07, 2022
Mooh247:

Ok since he stays in Nigeria then let him enjoy the house 1 year rent free since 6 month notice isn't enough, he can even move to the landlady's apartment afterall God own the house and he is a child of God
you went off road
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Mypeople2(m): 9:37pm On May 07, 2022
Lakatabah:
Nairalanders, I need your help.

I just moved into this new apartment and within a month to the expiration of my rent, I got a call from the caretaker to see him and he told me they would be is increasing the rent unless I renew before it expires but I didn't have it at that moment and pleaded but he said that's the decision of the owners of the house.

The landlady leaves in the building as well but the caretaker receives rent payment and all for reasons best known to them.

I went to see the landlady and she stood her ground that if I can't pay I should leave. Well, I could deduce her actions for doing this as she had a quarrel with my fiancee and it has been settled but she still had it in her mind.

I don't why people have dumb mentality. A landlady and a tenant cannot quarrel and settle in peace anymore.

I choose to pay the rent increase last year in order to let peace reign. On a norms, I would never pay for such an increase( I mean from 200k to 250k) Now, I just got a letter delivered to me this morning which is a notice to quit as my rent just expired last month.

Normally, when my rent expires or about to, the caretaker will call me and ask when will I be renewing it but this time I didn't get anyone at all which means they actually planned it before now.

They didn't even call me for a meeting to discuss, who does that?

And on the letter, there was no reason stated on the quit notice and it's a 6 months eviction notice. I spoke to my lawyer and she said that's how they do these days issuing quit notice without prior notification even when you're paying constantly.

When I went to see the caretaker, he told me it was because I was absent in the last meeting that was held in the compound. What trash! I rained curses on him to the extent that he couldn't voice out a word again. Apparently, he was shocked as I'm always very gentle.

Are they sharing money in the meeting or what? Or I would leave my business and be in a meeting on a weekday when I can always get what was discussed in the meeting from people that were there.

The reason didn't even go down well with me as it got me really annoyed. I have decided to park out but I want to make sure they see pepper.

Can I stay up to a year or more before moving out?

Please I need your advice, thoughts, and ideas. Thanks in advance and pardon my typos as I'm typing from my phone.
You are even lucky that you are given 6months to leave.If it was my former landlord, that day you are parking.The guy na area father, he nor dey get time for nonsense

2 Likes

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by duncan511: 9:37pm On May 07, 2022
Lakatabah:

I just moved into this new apartment and within a month to the expiration of my rent, I got a call from the caretaker to see him and he told me they would be is increasing the rent unless I renew before it expires but I didn't have it at that moment and pleaded but he said that's the decision of the owners of the house.

The landlady leaves in the building as well but the caretaker receives rent payment and all for reasons best known to them.

I went to see the landlady and she stood her ground that if I can't pay I should leave. Well, I could deduce her actions for doing this as she had a quarrel with my fiancee and it has been settled but she still had it in her mind.

I don't why people have dumb mentality. A landlady and a tenant cannot quarrel and settle in peace anymore.

I choose to pay the rent increase last year in order to let peace reign. On a norms, I would never pay for such an increase( I mean from 200k to 250k) Now, I just got a letter delivered to me this morning which is a notice to quit as my rent just expired last month.

Normally, when my rent expires or about to, the caretaker will call me and ask when will I be renewing it but this time I didn't get anyone at all which means they actually planned it before now.

And on the letter, there was no reason stated on the quit notice and it's a 6 months eviction notice. I spoke to my lawyer and she said that's how they do these days issuing quit notice without prior notification even when you're paying constantly.

When I went to see the caretaker, he told me it was because I was absent in the last meeting that was held in the compound. What trash! I rained curses on him to the extent that he couldn't voice out a word again. Apparently, he was shocked as I'm always very gentle.

Are they sharing money in the meeting or what? Or I would leave my business and be in a meeting on a weekday when I can always get what was discussed in the meeting from people that were there.

The reason didn't even go down well with me as it got me really annoyed. I have decided to park out but I want to make sure they see pepper.

Please I need your advice, thoughts, and ideas. Thanks in advance and pardon my typos as I'm typing from my phone.
My brother, why can’t you avoid problem and pack out on time, cause you will still pay as many month you stay before you pack or the court evict you from the apartment, For Your peace of mind just vacate, and next time, when you see trouble try your best and run, the country you Dey should even teach a lesson of how to avoid trouble
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by DanjaNinja(m): 9:37pm On May 07, 2022
Toks2008:
E be like sey she no Wan collect rent again for the next one year.

Tell her to go court or resolve the matter with you.

At least you have 3 to 6 months grace to look for another apartment without paying any rent to her if she insists you leave.

Ignorance. cry cry cry cry cry

1 Like

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by osazsky(m): 9:37pm On May 07, 2022
Sorry u have only 3 months not 12 months..at the expiration of the 3 months if u refuse to move u will be charged for trespassing which at times carries jail sentence kpele

1 Like

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Orch1981: 9:38pm On May 07, 2022
Mcslize:
Some ladies wahala is too much. That's how a man was evicted from a house. Why? Any time the man goes to work, the wife will be causing troubles in the compound. Once the man is back from work, the wife will behave very well like a normal person. But once the man just steps his foot out of the house to work, she will start quarrelling with people in the compound.

The owner of the house finally gave them a notice to quit and vowed that it's only a single person they will give the house to next time.

So, you see? Some ladies like trouble too much. There are couples of ladies that are cool headed though. You will never see them quarrel with their landlord or landlady.

Any where you stay, always caution your partner to be in good terms with the owner of the house until you build your own. This applies to everyone. If you are in good terms with the owner of the house, you will always enjoy your stay whichever house you stay.

Greet your landlord and landlady any time you see them. It goes a long way. So, op, try and caution your partner to always be in good terms with the house owner in the next place you will pack to if not, they will also evict you guys again and again.

Good character goes a long way. Don't ever allow anything to make you quarrel with your landlord or landlady in any house you stay.

Lakatabah
Asslicker
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by denobaba: 9:39pm On May 07, 2022
flokii:
Some fights are not worth it.. if you can get another apartment ASAP, please do. In the meantime you can write through a lawyer that you need time to get another apartment, you can get extra 2-3 months grace.
As a yearly tenant, the law stipulates 6 months eviction notice, 3 months for a half yearly tenant. There's grace period after that, but I suspect it's probably 2 weeks.

Given the surrounding circumstances, it will benefit him to prioritise securing a new accommodation within the notice period. He should execute the move nicely, no need for further altercation in the interest of everyone involved.

As some people have mentioned already, it's an arms length transaction, if the parties thereto decides to be empathetic and put a human face to the deal, that should be taken as a nice bonus. I don't recommend one expects such niceties, it's more likely than not to lead to disappointment.

In closing, Op you have to rein on your fiancee to avoid needless confrontation with people. She needs to develop better sense of awareness and avoid situations that would make things complicated for you in the future. I'm not judging the situation in particular. I just thought you could do with that blanket advice. Please implement as seriously as it applies to you. Cheers!

3 Likes

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by EgunMogaji2: 9:41pm On May 07, 2022
LagbajaTheBEREAN:

Well, there are still good heads outside.

Using the OP experience as a yardstick is never a good way to judge others.

I’m almost six decades old. Please allow me to use my life experiences to judge people.

Thanks.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by pasuma(m): 9:42pm On May 07, 2022
You're obviously not a good tenant and not giving us the true picture of things, however you have no choice than to quit, the owner of the property doesn't need a reason to quit you and reposses her property, your lawyer already told you that..

Lakatabah:

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by pocohantas(f): 9:42pm On May 07, 2022
dominique:
Husband is heaping insults on the caretaker, wife is picking fights with the landlady, una both match unaselves very well. Very troublesome couple, I hope you don't break each other's heads when you eventually marry.

What a couple! Perfect match! grin

2 Likes

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by DanjaNinja(m): 9:42pm On May 07, 2022
MemoriesAndMe:

Yup. That's what happens these days. Tenants tend to go overboard cos of the weak legal system in Nigeria. My brother ended up taking 3 of his tenants to court to evict them and they refused paying him rent for over a year.

I have two empty flats in my house in Lagos and refused to rent them to any tenant cos I don't want any tenant problem. How much do they even pay for the rent a year when I spent way more than that on just the tiles for their flats alone, let alone the doors, electricals and everything that comes with a house.

So I prefer to occupy the entire place alone with my family and probably place maids, drivers etc in flats I originally intended to rent out. At least those wont stress me when I think they should leave.

You can still rent in peace. Get a solid lawyer to draft a good lease. Avoid interacting with the tenants. Let them interact with your Lawyer. That way you have peace of mind.

2 Likes

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by EgunMogaji2: 9:43pm On May 07, 2022
oloko1859:

If you won't rent to a Nigerian, at least you can help a Nigerian like me. If you remove Lagos rent from my headache, minus 1 responsibility grin grin grin

It took my brother over a year to evict a defaulting tenant from one of our inherited buildings. He was even boasting. Didn’t have money to pay rent but hired a lawyer. Even divided the unit and sublet the place.

1 Like

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by pasuma(m): 9:44pm On May 07, 2022
You don't know what you are talking about, that would even expedite his exit..

bomasek:
1st rule of the thumb,never stay in same compound your landlord lives.

If you are in Lagos,you can drag her to dispute resolution court at Alausa while you begin your hunt for a new apartment. Wish you the best
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Emily22(m): 9:44pm On May 07, 2022
DanjaNinja:

He would still need to pay the rent for the duration of the quit notice. Quit notice doesn't mean free rent.

I thought it's free
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by EgunMogaji2: 9:46pm On May 07, 2022
Slynation:
Lol, but who is losing...?? You are just doing yourself

Thank you I respect your opinion because it’s based on your own knowledge.

I go in there about once a week, use the restroom, fart, belch, etc

You know what I don’t do? I’m not fighting a tenant to collect rent cheesy

5 Likes

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by DanjaNinja(m): 9:47pm On May 07, 2022
bomasek:
He can simply claim the landlord has refused to give him time to move out after the expiration of his tenancy. Been there,done that. My last response to you on this issue.

You are truly ignorant. If you really did that, then you were dealing with an ignorant Landlord. Your excuse is the reason there is a thing called "Quit Notice". It's a legal document giving you enough time to leave the house. So no, your excuse does not hold water.

1 Like

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by KIDfurniture(m): 9:47pm On May 07, 2022
This is why I don’t want to have tenants in any of properties. I like the idea of having hotels , guest house , motels and club houses than building for Nigerians to rent. The wahala from tenants no be small

Lakatabah:

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by EgunMogaji2: 9:48pm On May 07, 2022
MemoriesAndMe:

Yup. That's what happens these days. Tenants tend to go overboard cos of the weak legal system in Nigeria. My brother ended up taking 3 of his tenants to court to evict them and they refused paying him rent for over a year.

I have two empty flats in my house in Lagos and refused to rent them to any tenant cos I don't want any tenant problem. How much do they even pay for the rent a year when I spent way more than that on just the tiles for their flats alone, let alone the doors, electricals and everything that comes with a house.

So I prefer to occupy the entire place alone with my family and probably place maids, drivers etc in flats I originally intended to rent out. At least those wont stress me when I think they should leave.

That’s what I’m doing too. Let the tenant go and build their own house too. Shebi it’s easy grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Nobody: 9:48pm On May 07, 2022
This man isn't saying the truth. You should leave that woman's property, whom I sense is a better human than you and your fiancee

1 Like

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Orch1981: 9:48pm On May 07, 2022
Taeewo:
Ur fiance had a quarel with elderly woman.... When una pack go another place she go still beat elderly landlord again and another quit notice will be issue.... Egbon talk to you wife to dey calm down,and its not good to quarel with you landlord cus you will do same if you in the landlady position..
Are you stupid ?what do you mean by elderly person
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by DanjaNinja(m): 9:49pm On May 07, 2022
Lightorder:
oga , I am a landlord and a tenant somewhere. Landlords , your tenants have some rights as well. The money he pays as rent is HIS SWEAT AND BLOOD as well

If you want to follow this silly logic, then you should know that the Landlord's sweat and blood were used in building the house as well. How much is your rent relative to the cost of buying a land and building a house. Nonsense logic everywhere.

1 Like

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by oloko1859(m): 9:50pm On May 07, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

It took my brother over a year to evict a defaulting tenant from one of our inherited buildings. He was even boasting. Didn’t have money to pay rent but hired a lawyer. Even divided the unit and sublet the place.

Honestly, I understand your plight & position. Many people who sound insensitive to the landlord's position do that maybe because someone hasn't done it to their parents or them, so their views are 1 sided

3 Likes

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by DanjaNinja(m): 9:52pm On May 07, 2022
dominique:
Husband is heaping insults on the caretaker, wife is picking fights with the landlady, una both match unaselves very well. Very troublesome couple, I hope you don't break each other's heads when you eventually marry.

The number of people attacking that FTC's post shows that there are a lot of problematic tenants in this country. Can you people even listen to yourselves? So the landlady is evil for giving op who doesn't intend to renew his rent quit notice. Did she build the house for charity? Most of you people are business owners, will you give your goods for free to someone simply because he doesn't have the money? Go to your saner climes, who will allow you stay rent free for six months after given a quit notice? You will wake up one morning and see your things are being thrown out and there's nothing you can do about it.

When in Rome, act like the Romans. The landlady wants to hold weekly meetings, nothing stopping you from attending at least once a month. But you want to show you're not a pushover, look where it has landed you. Better go and gather money to rent another place at the expiration of your six month notice

God bless you for this. Even if he has scheduling conflicts with the meeting, a responsible tenant would still reach out to make up for his absence. But no, they wouldn't. The ee--diot even wants to be reminded to pay rent.

2 Likes

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Arrahman39: 9:52pm On May 07, 2022
Sometimes just take your time and read comment it more like nolly wood movies... Thanks to all the commentors, my guy you've exusted your money and additional six months has been granted on freemode pls don't exceeded that freemode... God we provide...
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Great0ne1: 9:52pm On May 07, 2022
Mooh247:

I have handled horrible tenants before and I know how it feels.... They would start qouting humam right over your sweat and blood even without contributing a bag of cement to you

Oga go and have a sit. When the quit notice expires, let her go to court na
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by DanjaNinja(m): 9:53pm On May 07, 2022
Emily22:

I thought it's free

It isn't. A rental apartment is a business. Which business gives free services for 6months?

3 Likes

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Supreme01: 9:54pm On May 07, 2022
Greatzeus:
@lakatabah,a lady you haven't married, already quarreling with your landlady? Now her action has led to you been evicted. I pity you,infarct I pity your mother most,your fiancée looks like someone that will show her in laws shege. I pity you too bro.
wat sort of stupid comment is these. Do u know whose fault it was?
y do u av to sabotage some one u haven't met. U don't know if the landlady is the troublesome type. U want the guy to take action against the gal now abi? Guy u are sincerely very wicked.

1 Like

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by DanjaNinja(m): 9:55pm On May 07, 2022
Great0ne1:

That's the thing. She doesn't need to take the tenant to court. All she needs to do is obtain a order to reclaim her property. Two months max, the tenant would be thrown out to the streets. You people think Nigeria is Lawless.

3 Likes

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Mooh247: 9:57pm On May 07, 2022
Great0ne1:

Ofcoarse the caretaker would approach a magistrate and get a balif and a police to witness the eviction within 24hrs.. and if he owes a Kobo his property would be held at the court or police station

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Building A Student Hostel : Profitability And Challenges / Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? / How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.