Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,094 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:38 AM

Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? (51259 Views)

Entering A Train Nigeria For The First Time. See My Discovery / Lady Agreed Married A Dead Man (Photos) / How I Stopped Herdsmen From Entering My Community — Edo Monarch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by CaptainLora: 8:31am On May 13, 2022
Dorwadora:
When he was alive, he'd always give me yam, fish or 200 naira whenever I visit grin grin. He said I look like his mother embarassed

Sorry to tell you, bro... you should have considered a DNA clarification.

But he's gone, he's gone. Let sleeping dogs lie.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by merrymike47(m): 8:31am On May 13, 2022
those three knocks are to notify baba’s spirit that someone is about to enter, else you see what you ought not to see, some spirits are stubborn. It’s mostly needed at 12noon or 12am at the morgue.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by jimtemi1: 8:31am On May 13, 2022
SEGLIZ:
I was only confirming what you said not against you.

to this over civilised generation, foolishness to them is civility.

to them your comment is nothing but lie even when on the affirmative it is true. you didn't take time to digest my response to you comment.
when grammar to much e dey confuse person

1 Like

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by BigYash: 8:31am On May 13, 2022
I think its just their believe. And if you go against it to show you are civilized, they will show you pepper, with their witchcrafts and Voodoo. Hence ,the fear and the reason why people follow the knock or you collect slap rule.. grin
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by sukkot: 8:32am On May 13, 2022
well knocking 3 times is asking for permission for the doors of hell to open up as you are going in to meet the dead. there is nothing wrong in that but on the way out make sure you knock 4 times before going out or else you will not be coming out of there with your full soul. some of it would be lost. you will come out half the man you were . you would emerge a walking dead . coming out of there after knocking 4 times is Resurrection from the dead

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Princedapace(m): 8:32am On May 13, 2022
U could have knocked once or not at all. At least, u could have found out or broken lies.

Or simply go to a place where they keep dead bodies and don't knock. This is how u do experiment.
People may learn from u

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by chatinent: 8:32am On May 13, 2022
YourFavorite21:
There is so much mystery about the dead that the living is oblivious of, remember their mortal body died not their spirit or soul. They are still active around their bodies till they are buried. You don't take them unawares you are inviting shock or even stroke, they are energies and entities at death, you notify them.

Lol. The dead are conscious of nothing.
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by rikithor(m): 8:35am On May 13, 2022
CheedyJ:
I believe it's one of those many superstitions but imagine for a second that after being told to knock 3x but u only knocked once b4 entering & at night u had a nightmare where d baba was chasing u (lol), wouldn't u have attributed d nightmare to not knocking 3x? Na so all those superstitions dey spread o
So what happens if I knock like 6 times,3 times 2 so the dead can really be prepared and ready to receive the living in a valedictory party ?
This kind of humour is what makes village life more interesting than city life.
I like village culture ehn.
Come and learn how to drive manual and automatic cars professionally and process driving license and vehicle papers in a short time

3 Likes

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Akwamkpuruamu: 8:35am On May 13, 2022
Superstition
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Timoleon(m): 8:36am On May 13, 2022
What if grand pa’s friend is his real grand pa?
illicit:
I am confused

Why must u say goodbye to ur grandpa's friend

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Ezeelect1977: 8:36am On May 13, 2022
Those things are real and the truth is that so long as the dead body is in the room the spirit is still there and one have to play according to the rule

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by nams77: 8:36am On May 13, 2022
favour32:

As una dey say na nonsense or superstition na so I use enter one mortuary unannounced some decades ago.
Dead bodies here and there.
Some arranged erect and others horizontal.
E be like market.
But I left after some minutes after rolling out the dead body of a young man we came to bury as nobody was willing to go inside except me.
I hear am for night.
Nor be everything person dey talk.
But there are vibrations in mortuary whether you believe it or not.

Experienced same thing in the night too. We took my father's body to the mortuary. My brother was afraid to enter so I went in alone.
But before I did, I told the attendants that I'm pressed. They asked me to go beside the mortuary and urinate. I asked them if it's safe to do so and they said no problem.
Well, I go there go titrate o

That night I hear am.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Fremantle: 8:37am On May 13, 2022
Dorwadora:
I don't understand the reason behind it and I'm curious. Google is not giving me a coherent answer.
From what I've heard,
The first knock is to alert them, Incase they might be doing their thing,

The second knock is for them to arrange themselves back to their dead state,

The third knock is you saying, I'm coming in, atleast you won't catch them unaware if the above was done.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Jsucre(m): 8:37am On May 13, 2022
illicit:
Nothing will happen if u don't knock

Africans just chose to mystify things
just enter without knocking, the kin cold wey go enter your body go reset you to default settings

This is Africa

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by ejimatic: 8:37am On May 13, 2022
Dorwadora:
I don't understand the reason behind it and I'm curious. Google is not giving me a coherent answer.

My late grandfather's friend passed away today, being a Muslim, it's a must that he must be buried today. My grandma called me to come to our hometown ( My present location to my hometown is just 1 hour) to say goodbye to Baba (May God rest his soul).

I got there, I wanted to enter but they said I should knock before entering incase Baba is dressing up or eating embarassed embarassed. I knocked once but they said I must knock thrice undecided undecided. I know all those eating and dressing up story is sakamanje.

I would have asked someone there but the atmosphere was melanchoIic and I was in a rush to see my grandma and now I'm on my way back to Ado.

What's the real reason for knocking?

A dead body can't feel or see. It dead undecided undecided... The body is useless or else it want to be used as compost.
. Traditionally,Africans believe that if yiu don't knock the dead person may be awake by the time you enter doing something but if you knock he will quickly return to his dead position. Religiously we believe the dead know nothing again!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by jrusky(m): 8:37am On May 13, 2022
Oga, Mr man, nwanne obey simply rule and stop asking useless question, too know kills easily you hear.

If those things daze you a slap for disrespecting them for not knocking before you enter their space I swear to God your ear will never work again till you die.

If you like listen to those who claimed everything is fake or superstitious I had told them if they believe jazz is fake or superstitious let them go to Ijebu Igbo and identify a herbalist then slap him and still tell him he can't do anything and let's see if jazz exist or not.

Listen is better than sacrifice.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by SEGLIZ: 8:38am On May 13, 2022
jimtemi1:
when grammar to much e dey confuse person
bros, I no speak grammar o, but you crack me though cheesygrin
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Tonymegabush1(m): 8:38am On May 13, 2022
Obedience is better than sacrifice.

Knocking triple, quadruple, quintuple, sextuple, septuple, octuple, nonuple etc no be issue, so as long as ppl believe such should be done..

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by dettolgel: 8:38am On May 13, 2022
illicit:
I am confused

Why must u say goodbye to ur grandpa's friend

Maybe na the grandma boyfriend. grin

Grandma needs some action too bro grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by ikennaoma(m): 8:38am On May 13, 2022
What you believe in becloud your sense of reasoning.. I will enter there without knocking and nothing will happen.. but because u belief in it ur mind will be restless.. that's why an atheist will tell a dreaded occult man that he can't do anything why? he believes he can't and he will never hurt him.. we imprison our mind in what we believe.when we stop and call it ordinary, ordinary it shall remain.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by dettolgel: 8:39am On May 13, 2022
jrusky:
Oga, Mr man, nwanne obey simply rule and stop asking useless question, too know kills easily you hear.

If those things daze you a slap for disrespecting them for not knocking before you enter their space I swear to God your ear will never work again till you die.

If you like listen to those who claimed everything is fake or superstitious I had told them if they believe jazz is fake or superstitious let them go to Ijebu Igbo and identify a herbalist then slap him and still tell him he can't do anything and let's see if jazz exist or not.

Na because we no dey ask questions our oldies don use Nigeria future dey play kalokalo in the name of politics.
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by ucheanderson24(m): 8:39am On May 13, 2022
Never heard this before but I strongly believe this is superstitious sentimentality
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by JoyousFurnitire(m): 8:41am On May 13, 2022
Dorwadora:
When he was alive, he'd always give me yam, fish or 200 naira whenever I visit grin grin. He said I look like his mother embarassed

How did you bid him a goodbye? Hug??
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by SEGLIZ: 8:42am On May 13, 2022
jrusky:

dem no need reach Jàpárá, station don do make look for okada guy trouble for Ago Iwoye.

1 Like

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Lightorder: 8:42am On May 13, 2022
Kestolove:
blackman get problem
so you are made to believe. White man own many but you are already wired to believe that is the right thing
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by JoyousFurnitire(m): 8:44am On May 13, 2022
TheWolfen:
John 2 verse 3-5. ( NKJV )

obedience is better than sacrifice cool

An una dey give false prophets muscle. How did one take relate to that Bible verse? or Christ?

Na Christ mama say make she knock?
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by opius: 8:45am On May 13, 2022
If you ask us Na who will go ask ? Is only the dead can answer this question oo.. when you enter you would have try and ask the Baba jor
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Dorwadora(f): 8:45am On May 13, 2022
JoyousFurnitire:

How did you bid him a goodbye? Hug??
Lol... I simply looked all over him, took him cool hand and told him "Baba sun re o" smiley and some other couple of things.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by sirsugar(m): 8:45am On May 13, 2022
Dorwadora:
I have a red thick cardigan my grandfather wear till the time of his death..... I always rock the cardigan with Jeans, my auntie from US sent it.

People will be like " Ha ha, Dora this cardigan dope o"...I'll be like " You remember my grandfather that died 3 years ago?...it's for him"

The bed he was embalmed on for 2 nights, that same bed his body was prepared is where I always sleep on whenever I go visiting. Thick Mouka foam for that matter grin grin

No be me kill am, I don't have any reason to be scared grin
hmmmmm grab
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by sleekflow(m): 8:45am On May 13, 2022
Around 98, my aunt died. Two nights after her death, a crazy wind visited our house. Even as a kid my instincts told me what was playing that night wasn't ordinary.

The following morning, my Mum told her other siblings that this my aunt came in her sleep and asked her not grieve nor worry. That she is in a better place but she should do her best to take care of her only child.

Few years later, a close relative told us he saw her in Ghana and they talked. Only for him to return to Nigeria and hear that she had been dead before the encounter he had with her.

Now tell me, is that the kind of entity you want to barge in on? Respect yourself oo.

Money sweet pass kpekus

11 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi & His Wife Collect Offering At A Church In UK (Photos) / The Great Songhai Empire / DPO Segun Fagbohun Dies In Lagos Hospital (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.