Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,546 members, 7,955,022 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:39 PM

Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? (52098 Views)

Entering A Train Nigeria For The First Time. See My Discovery / Lady Agreed Married A Dead Man (Photos) / How I Stopped Herdsmen From Entering My Community — Edo Monarch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by alizma: 8:46am On May 13, 2022
illicit:
I am confused

Why must u say goodbye to ur grandpa's friend
A dead man at that o. She accepted traveling an hour to say goodbye to a dead man, now the same people that invited her to come and say goodbye to the dead of which she considered ok, told her to knock thrice before entering the room, she suddenly remember nairaland where all questions have answer. You better knock as they said before you put yourself in trouble.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by JoyousFurnitire(m): 8:46am On May 13, 2022
favour32:

As una dey say na nonsense or superstition na so I use enter one mortuary unannounced some decades ago.
Dead bodies here and there.
Some arranged erect and others horizontal.
E be like market.
But I left after some minutes after rolling out the dead body of a young man we came to bury as nobody was willing to go inside except me.
I hear am for night.
Nor be everything person dey talk.
But there are vibrations in mortuary whether you believe it or not.

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by headbasher96(m): 8:47am On May 13, 2022
those are the kind of superstition holding our dear continent back
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by President2001(m): 8:47am On May 13, 2022
They believe when someone die it has become idol ( orisa) so not to be hit with strange spirit one need to create awareness before you enter, that's why you seen ifa people knocking their stronghold door twice before they enter
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Calenikan(m): 8:48am On May 13, 2022
Dorwadora:
I don't understand the reason behind it and I'm curious. Google is not giving me a coherent answer.

My late grandfather's friend passed away today, being a Muslim, it's a must that he must be buried today. My grandma called me to come to our hometown ( My present location to my hometown is just 1 hour) to say goodbye to Baba (May God rest his soul).

I got there, I wanted to enter but they said I should knock before entering incase Baba is dressing up or eating embarassed embarassed. I knocked once but they said I must knock thrice undecided undecided. I know all those eating and dressing up story is sakamanje.

I would have asked someone there but the atmosphere was melanchoIic and I was in a rush to see my grandma and now I'm on my way back to Ado.

What's the real reason for knocking?

A dead body can't feel or see. It dead undecided undecided... The body is useless or else it want to be used as compost.

Instead of asking us, you should have disregard the warning.

Experience is the best teacher �

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Emola12(m): 8:48am On May 13, 2022
TONYE001:
Absolutely no reason.

Belief and culture (?plus ignorance) at play here.

A dead man is dead and cannot move a finger. All stories told about the dead performing any action are false... People sit in their homes and conjure things to suit their narratives.

just try and see one day I promise u dah slap u will collect u will not hear word again awsear
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by sleekflow(m): 8:49am On May 13, 2022
ucheanderson24:
Never heard this before but I strongly believe this is superstitious sentimentality

Okay... Until dem go knack you kpako for where e no good

Money sweet pass kpekus

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by baretalk: 8:49am On May 13, 2022
Make you no collect invisible slap.
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by damayor001(m): 8:49am On May 13, 2022
TONYE001:

I have spent at least four years dissecting dead bodies. I have been in the mortuary for hours in the night studying....sometimes, alone, other times, with colleagues.

I've walked into rooms where dead bodies lay without knocking.

As a matter of fact, I've dissected the human body from head to toe.

I want to categorically tell you that a dead body is just a carcass...a log of wood, if you may.

It has no power whatsoever. All these talks are just products of our tradition.. We should know better.
exactly.. I believe you 100%. Last month i visited the morgue, dead bodies here and there. I had enough time to interact with the mortician, i asked him if he knocks before entering the morgue, he said " oga nomind all those stories" that sometimes morticians use that to scare people.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Emola12(m): 8:50am On May 13, 2022
TheWolfen:
John 2 verse 3-5. ( NKJV )

obedience is better than sacrifice cool
God bless you...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by dontrulee: 8:50am On May 13, 2022
Well, have seen lots of dead bodies.
Been to the morgue several times, haven't seen the truly dead move a finger. There are cases of rigor mortis (a medical term for contractions of muscles after death). Have worked on cadavers plenty number of times, never had a nightmare. So, I conclude that it's myth or superstition. Thank you grin grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by mecuries(m): 8:52am On May 13, 2022
favour32:

As una dey say na nonsense or superstition na so I use enter one mortuary unannounced some decades ago.
Dead bodies here and there.
Some arranged erect and others horizontal.
E be like market.
But I left after some minutes after rolling out the dead body of a young man we came to bury as nobody was willing to go inside except me.
I hear am for night.
Nor be everything person dey talk.
But there are vibrations in mortuary whether you believe it or not.
science has proven that the human body still moves even after death.... nothing spiritual
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Hueyreckless0007: 8:52am On May 13, 2022
ikennaoma:
What you believe in becloud your sense of reasoning.. I will enter there without knocking and nothing will happen.. but because u belief in it ur mind will be restless.. that's why an atheist will tell a dreaded occult man that he can't do anything why? he believes he can't and he will never hurt him.. we imprison our mind in what we believe.when we stop and call it ordinary, ordinary it shall remain.

Hmm
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Tvoice: 8:53am On May 13, 2022
Kestolove:
blackman get problem

Plenty wan for dat matter
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Emola12(m): 8:54am On May 13, 2022
Hellonearth:
Person wey don die don die. Its just for formalities
go and enter there without knocking u will collect wotowoto
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Streett: 8:54am On May 13, 2022
Physical is REAL …..Spiritual is REAL…….Energy Is REAL

That’s all I gotta say

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by showafrica(m): 8:55am On May 13, 2022
illicit:
I am confused

Why must u say goodbye to ur grandpa's friend

I wonder too but I will say respect to the dead
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Patnelly: 8:55am On May 13, 2022
I have not had an experience but have heard from people who had one. The mortuary or a room a dead person is kept cannot be entered anyhow,it's another world entirely. Things they happen behind the closed doors of a mortuary. Ask mortuary attendance,they will confirm this to you. Even they no dey use ordinary eye do the mortuary job. Its ignorance that will make one doubt a dead person is dead and harmless,but person spirit nodey die and so should notify them when entering their domain.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Emola12(m): 8:56am On May 13, 2022
Dorwadora:
I don't understand the reason behind it and I'm curious. Google is not giving me a coherent answer.

My late grandfather's friend passed away today, being a Muslim, it's a must that he must be buried today. My grandma called me to come to our hometown ( My present location to my hometown is just 1 hour) to say goodbye to Baba (May God rest his soul).

I got there, I wanted to enter but they said I should knock before entering incase Baba is dressing up or eating embarassed embarassed. I knocked once but they said I must knock thrice undecided undecided. I know all those eating and dressing up story is sakamanje.

I would have asked someone there but the atmosphere was melanchoIic and I was in a rush to see my grandma and now I'm on my way back to Ado.

A dead body can't feel or see. It dead undecided undecided... The body is useless or else it want to be used as compost.
u better knock before you enter make you no go collect wotowoto

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by OlawaleBammie: 8:56am On May 13, 2022
Dorwadora:

sebi u re yoruba?? U should not have listened to dem and force ursef in, sometimes experience is the best teacher.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Freelane33(m): 8:56am On May 13, 2022
Every religions have their doings
< CULTURE>
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Jakumo(m): 8:57am On May 13, 2022
TONYE001:
Absolutely no reason.

A dead man is dead and cannot move a finger. All stories told about the dead performing any action are false... People sit in their homes and conjure things to suit their narratives.

Dead men may not be able to lift a finger, but peer-reviewed scientific data has confirmed that their manhood in fact lives on.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by ciro11(m): 8:58am On May 13, 2022
khadaffi:

I'm not sure you understand the underlying question. He asked "why must you say goodbye to your grandpa's friend?" Since according to you the dead is dead. It can't see or hear and does not know what is going on. What is the purpose of the goodbye. If you are able to answer this, you would have answered your initial question above

Guy, your wisdom nor be here oo
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by sweetkev(m): 8:58am On May 13, 2022
jrusky:
Oga, Mr man, nwanne obey simply rule and stop asking useless question, too know kills easily you hear.

If those things daze you a slap for disrespecting them for not knocking before you enter their space I swear to God your ear will never work again till you die.

If you like listen to those who claimed everything is fake or superstitious I had told them if they believe jazz is fake or superstitious let them go to Ijebu Igbo and identify a herbalist then slap him and still tell him he can't do anything and let's see if jazz exist or not.

Listen is better than sacrifice.
Why used ijb Igbo as example. That's an insult.
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by teejay29(m): 8:59am On May 13, 2022
It's all superstitious.
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Emola12(m): 9:00am On May 13, 2022
Kestolove:
blackman get problem
u re white human being nah if Dem born u well no knock d door 3times before u enter the wotowoto wey u go collect enh I promise you u no go hear word again
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by supereagle(m): 9:00am On May 13, 2022
Creamypie:
how can u believe this nonsense nah? The dead are conscious of nothing, while the living know they will die Ecclesiastes 9 vs 5
Man, like Adam is made from dust and returns to dust on all entirety

But the soul and spirit are immortal, only the body is mortal.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Obynolee(f): 9:00am On May 13, 2022
Dorwadora:
When he was alive, he'd always give me yam, fish or 200 naira whenever I visit grin grin. He said I look like his mother embarassed

No Problem, you can as well enter a morgue without knocking because they're dead and useless.
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Aarenasbaba(m): 9:01am On May 13, 2022
They're different fairy tales about dead people... Knock koor knock ni
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Emola12(m): 9:01am On May 13, 2022
TONYE001:
Absolutely no reason.

go enter there without knocking u know wating Dem dey call wotowoto??
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by illicit(m): 9:02am On May 13, 2022
showafrica:

I wonder too but I will say respect to the dead

Lol

I think there's something her grandma is not telling her

Or her grandma already told her and she is not willing to tell us undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Oluwo Under Fire For Exposing Head In Mecca / Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) / Low Turnout As Oluwo Of Iwo Marries Kano Princess

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.