Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,626 members, 7,820,214 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:33 AM

Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? (51271 Views)

Entering A Train Nigeria For The First Time. See My Discovery / Lady Agreed Married A Dead Man (Photos) / How I Stopped Herdsmen From Entering My Community — Edo Monarch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Mazzkenny: 10:15am On May 13, 2022
Superstition
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by TONYE001(m): 10:18am On May 13, 2022
kellybently:

Try visit any mortuary don't knock just enter. U ll see what you have not seen before

When we form calcified opinions, it is difficult, or impossible, sometimes, to consider alternate views.

I just told you guys how I've spent at least four years dissecting dead bodies. I've been with them alone, I don go our hospital mortuary countless times for night to read (light always dey there...plus it's very quiet..though with a characteristic smell)..

Sometimes, I dey dey that mortuary alone.

I have never knocked before entering there...I will never knock..

I understand, though...we are deeply rooted in our culture..most of us grew up hearing these tales..

My only worry be say why person wey don get education go still dey believe things wey uneducated people tell them years ago.

See, the dead has no power. Whether you believe this or not..no wahala..

2 Likes

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by ChybuzzDD(m): 10:21am On May 13, 2022
Dorwadora:
I don't understand the reason behind it and I'm curious. Google is not giving me a coherent answer.

My late grandfather's friend passed away today, being a Muslim, it's a must that he must be buried today. My grandma called me to come to our hometown ( My present location to my hometown is just 1 hour) to say goodbye to Baba (May God rest his soul).

I got there, I wanted to enter but they said I should knock before entering incase Baba is dressing up or eating embarassed embarassed. I knocked once but they said I must knock thrice undecided undecided. I know all those eating and dressing up story is sakamanje.

I would have asked someone there but the atmosphere was melanchoIic and I was in a rush to see my grandma and now I'm on my way back to Ado.What's the real reason for knocking?

A dead body can't feel or see. It dead undecided undecided... The body is useless or else it want to be used as compost.

It's still one of those things Africans do out of sheer ignorance.

It's being done by the same people who sheepishly believe they can make mysterious money from fellow human blood and body parts.

It came from the same archaic people who believe bald men have gold and diamond in their skulls

Now, those of us who work in the hospitals, do we engage in such things when when entering rooms where deceased patients are kept?

Of course, the answer is a capital NO!

Have we died?
The answer, again, is a capital NO!
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Coded081(m): 10:21am On May 13, 2022
Dorwadora:
I don't understand the reason behind it and I'm curious. Google is not giving me a coherent answer.

My late grandfather's friend passed away today, being a Muslim, it's a must that he must be buried today. My grandma called me to come to our hometown ( My present location to my hometown is just 1 hour) to say goodbye to Baba (May God rest his soul).

I got there, I wanted to enter but they said I should knock before entering incase Baba is dressing up or eating embarassed embarassed. I knocked once but they said I must knock thrice undecided undecided. I know all those eating and dressing up story is sakamanje.

I would have asked someone there but the atmosphere was melanchoIic and I was in a rush to see my grandma and now I'm on my way back to Ado.

What's the real reason for knocking?

A dead body can't feel or see. It dead undecided undecided... The body is useless or else it want to be used as compost.

My sister's friend whom work in the mortuary was slaped just because she didn't knock why entering, it was her madam who took her to one of the states in the east. Uptill now the scars are still visible.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Honestfrend: 10:22am On May 13, 2022
I heard from a guy who works in the mutuary that they put one new dead man.. That the next day all the dead people laid close to him were pushed to different direction.

The next day dey arranged him again the next day the same thing.. They have to call the family that dey can't put such person there.. I mean a dead person. They came to carry there corpse.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Sweetooth(f): 10:22am On May 13, 2022
I would want to know why too
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Nobody: 10:24am On May 13, 2022
favour32:
You fit say na nonsense or superstition but e get WHY?
Na the why she dey ask naw.
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by DrDunamis(m): 10:26am On May 13, 2022
SEGLIZ:
I was only confirming what you said not against you.

to this over civilised generation, foolishness to them is civility.

to them your comment is nothing but lie even when on the affirmative it is true. you didn't take time to digest my response to you comment.
You didn't punctuate your first response rightly
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by gentlegenius(m): 10:34am On May 13, 2022
Dorwadora:

What is your reason for going to SAY GOODBYE to a dead body since you know the truth that a dead body is useless and can't feel or see anything?
If you believe that a dead man needs your goodbye, then you should also believe that he needs you to knock before coming in to say your Goodbye.
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by oyokometer(m): 10:36am On May 13, 2022
There is a man that died but before his death, he specifically told his children to bury him in a traditional way and not in Christian way. The children of the late man happened to be Christians, they decided to go against their father's instruction and brought one pastor to bury their father on the burial day.
The said pastor collapsed and died immediately while ministering. The said man is dead and seem powerless but the result shocked everyone.
So Irrespective of your believe, faith or religion, there are mysteries that surrounds us which we don't have explanation to.

I have a formal neighbour that works in mortuary, he told me that they don't just barge in on the dead, there is a form of knocking or notice given to the dead before entering inside. There are rules of engagement everywhere, don't limit or rubbish everything you hear

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by wolesmile(m): 10:36am On May 13, 2022
TONYE001:
Absolutely no reason.

Belief and culture (?plus ignorance) at play here.

A dead man is dead and cannot move a finger. All stories told about the dead performing any action are false... People sit in their homes and conjure things to suit their narratives.

Even the "Oyinbos" that brought you western education believe in paranormal activities around the dead. Let me and you go keep vigil at a cemetery at night. Let's see if you'll come back here to call the experience "superstition"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by TONYE001(m): 10:39am On May 13, 2022
wolesmile:

Even the "Oyinbos" that brought you western education believe in paranormal activities around the dead. Let me and you go keep vigil at a cemetery at night. Let's see if you'll come back here to call the experience "superstition"

Lolz.

What a generalization!

No wahala, chief. You can believe what you choose to believe.
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Boyooosa(m): 10:45am On May 13, 2022
ashawopikin:
Why u no ask them?

Why u no read her story?
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by wolesmile(m): 10:47am On May 13, 2022
TONYE001:

Lolz.

What a generalization!

No wahala, chief. You can believe what you choose to believe.

I just threw a challenge, bro. Take it up if you think you're man enough. After all, you don't believe in ghosts and paranormal activities. Let's just stay one night at, maybe, Ikoyi cemetery. I bet you'll start giving a different definition to superstition.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by jrusky(m): 10:48am On May 13, 2022
sweetkev:
Why used ijb Igbo as example. That's an insult.

My apology I mean no evil or insult but I hate it when some little boys are daring power of tradition that was why I told them they should go where confirm jazz are and they should go and dare any confirmed herbalist then they will know their is different between superstition and reality.

My apology for mentioning ijebu igbo I mean no harm.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Lovelyperson(m): 10:51am On May 13, 2022
Sacred007:
You better do what they asked u to do before they roast u like they roasted Deborah. Those Modafvckers called Muslim will all burn in the deepest part of Hell.

Rest in Pieces old man

You believe in Hell?

Can a spirit burn?

Can God burn?
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by wilroy: 10:56am On May 13, 2022
Some comments make we wonder if some people really have knowledge
Too much movie have drained some people’s sense away
Every land with their own belief(s) system with many of their alleged (superstitions) can kill you if not adhere to
Yes you said a dead is a dead and unconscious of nothing but if that’s true
How many times have you went to the cemetery in the midnight to chill ?
Because civilization doesn’t make anyone ignorant or stupid
Or why do you think Americans do Halloween every year?
Some people only enjoy regrets after disobedience
And if you warned them first, you’d look like the fool rather than them

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Nobody: 11:00am On May 13, 2022
wilroy:
Some comments make we wonder if some people really have knowledge
Too much movie have drained some people’s sense away
Every land with their own belief(s) system with many of their alleged (superstitions) can kill you if not adhere to
Yes you said a dead is a dead and unconscious of nothing but if that’s true
How many times have you went to the cemetery in the midnight to chill ?
Because civilization doesn’t make anyone ignorant or stupid
Or why do you think Americans do Halloween every year?
Some people only enjoy regrets after disobedience
And if you warned them first, you’d look like the fool rather than them

oye dey ur head, she should have enter without Knocking, and come here to tell us eand result.

if one or two of them have experience with the dead or the 2nd world they might not live to tell the story.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by holycup(m): 11:10am On May 13, 2022
I remember sometime around 2019.the woman that sells shop somewhere around fmc roundabout in delta sold her two cartons of beer to someone from inside the hospital who came and narrated to her that they were celebrating.bought two cartons made deposit for the bottles and the cartons and promised to return them the next day and collect back the deposit.the next day,bottles of beer was seen littered inside the mortuary ,it was then that the woman realized she sold the drink to a ghost.the mortician picked the bottles, arranged it and gave to the woman but she refused to collect .

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Shegz4god(m): 11:10am On May 13, 2022
This are very serious and infact real when someone dies his soul is very much alive and still around ..but the moment they lay him to the ground and cover him up .. he is gone into another realm ..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Favmil101(m): 11:13am On May 13, 2022
(melanchoIic)
That's the only thing i understand in ur post
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by sweetkev(m): 11:36am On May 13, 2022
jrusky:

My apology I mean no evil or insult but I hate it when some little boys are daring power of tradition that was why I told them they should go where confirm jazz are and they should go and dare any confirmed herbalist then they will know their is different between superstition and reality.

My apology for mentioning ijebu igbo I mean no harm.
Apology accepted. Have a nice day.
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by YourFavorite21(m): 11:36am On May 13, 2022
joyandfaith:

How do you know that?
I have a friend, who works as a mortician. He told me alot of things,
Omo, things wey person no know pass am.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Bankinoh: 11:37am On May 13, 2022
Creamypie:
thats not Samuel. God hates the use of mediums, sorcerer, u see d irony?

Pally read your Bible well before saying it wasn't Samuel,stop arguing blindly... Read 1Samuel 28:1-20. Yes God hates sorcery,hardly for you to see God pass death sentence on any sin but for wizardry and sorcerer He commands they be killed. This evil people can manipulate a whole lot by their evil powers.... It was Samuel that she invoked and she even said gods was coming from the ground as Samuel was been invoked,that was how she knew that it was King Saul that disguised himself to come. And Samuel asked Saul why he came to disturb him from his rest. He told Saul that the next day Saul and his children will be with him in the land of the dead and it happened exactly so... The world is deep,just fear God and stick with Him....evil full the world

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by DrUche3(m): 11:38am On May 13, 2022
grin grin grin grin grin

Codes151:
Why don't you check and investigate and show us.

Try a mortuary.
Pay the attendant not to disturb you.

At 12am
Open door and fall in.
Try and give us feedback.
We self Dey curious why dem d knock.

Laugh wan kill me after reading this comment grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Elidrisy20: 11:39am On May 13, 2022
Not in Islamic theology
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by galex10(m): 11:46am On May 13, 2022
Erukulele omo Ado de ooo
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by SPAMBOX7: 11:51am On May 13, 2022
SEGLIZ:
I was only confirming what you said not against you.

to this over civilised generation, foolishness to them is civility.

to them your comment is nothing but lie even when on the affirmative it is true. you didn't take time to digest my response to you comment.
English no be everybody mate na grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Horokrox: 11:53am On May 13, 2022
inwahiwe:
Until you are impacted by the spiritual world, your believes, religion, civilization is untested.

I never use to believe any of these things because I am so scientifically minded until they unleashed on me. Today, I'm taking spiritual matters very seriously

To attempt your question, speaking from yogic wisdom;

Life has five components/forces:

1. Component responsible for breath
2. Component responsible for warmth/heat (reason when you die, you go cold)
3. Component responsible for bouyancy(you don't feel your weight when you are alive, but the moment you die, nobody can lift you up again, it will take many hands)
4. Component responsible for preservation of the body while you are alive (you start decaying at death but can still experience growth of hair and finger nails until it withdraws)
5. Component responsible for ....(you guess it)

When you die, these components withdraw individually and at different pace

So it's possible that being clinically dead doesn't mean the process of death has completed. Reason why sometimes you can hear sounds/noise from where a dead person is laying.

Plus all kinds of energies (disembodied spirits) looking for bodies to enter. There is so much going on in a dead person

Therefore, to cut the long story short, the unseen world is sensitive to vibrations, therefore, when you knock, you produce vibrations and the number 3 is actually a code for this type of communication, which announces your presence and keeps any unwanted energies at bay(raises the vibration of the room). Otherwise, you might have contact with something whose vibration is higher than your own (what you call demonic attack/possession)

I don't have typing patience, I would have gone into more detail
you actually meant the five components of Atman(Eternal Soul) which are :
1.Anna-Maya
2.Prana-Maya
3.Manno-Maya
4.Ananda-Maya
5.Vijñana Maya

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Haines: 11:53am On May 13, 2022
Dorwadora:

I would have asked someone there but the atmosphere was melanchoIic and I was in a rush to see my grandma and now I'm on my way back to Ado.

The knocking and saying goodbye is From your culture not Islam
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Creamypie(m): 11:54am On May 13, 2022
Bankinoh:

Pally read your Bible well before saying it wasn't Samuel,stop arguing blindly... Read 1Samuel 28:1-20. Yes God hates sorcery,hardly for you to see God pass death sentence on any sin but for wizardry and sorcerer He commands they be killed. This evil people can manipulate a whole lot by their evil powers.... It was Samuel that she invoked and she even said gods was coming from the ground as Samuel was been invoked,that was how she knew that it was King Saul that disguised himself to come. And Samuel asked Saul why he came to disturb him from his rest. He told Saul that the next day Saul and his children will be with him in the land of the dead and it happened exactly so... The world is deep,just fear God and stick with Him....evil full the world
that wasn't Samuel. Read Ecclesiastes 3 vs 19 too. God will never use ogbeburu send message to man

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi & His Wife Collect Offering At A Church In UK (Photos) / The Great Songhai Empire / DPO Segun Fagbohun Dies In Lagos Hospital (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.