Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,799 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:09 PM

Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? (51177 Views)

Entering A Train Nigeria For The First Time. See My Discovery / Lady Agreed Married A Dead Man (Photos) / How I Stopped Herdsmen From Entering My Community — Edo Monarch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by wiseone28: 10:37pm On May 12, 2022
Na to receive spiritual slap if you don't.

1 Like

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Dorwadora(f): 10:42pm On May 12, 2022
wiseone28:
Na to receive spiritual slap if you don't.
God abeg o grin grin grin.... Slap keh
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by YourFavorite21(m): 10:46pm On May 12, 2022
Creamypie:
how can u believe this nonsense nah? The dead are conscious of nothing, while the living know they will die Ecclesiastes 9 vs 5
Man, like Adam is made from dust and returns to dust on all entirety
Oga, I no get strength for una Arguements There is a difference between the living and the dead. It is done Just to formerly inform the occupants of the Morgue that the living is entering except you don't want to live again then enter there without knocking.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by wiseone28: 10:50pm On May 12, 2022
YourFavorite21:
Oga, I no get strength for una Arguements There is a difference between the living and the dead. It is done Just to formerly inform the occupants of the Morgue that the living is entering except you don't want to live again then enter their without knocking.
Let them form learned when they come online..

Don't disturb yourself if them like the take it

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Hahjascho(m): 11:35pm On May 12, 2022
If she had entered after one knock, and then experiences something odd, it would av been attributed to her failure of not doing it 3x.

You see, (fear+imagination) vs (reality); there's a very thin line between them.

Fear kills.
Fear overwhelms the mind.
Fear inhibits rational thinking.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Richy4(m): 12:05am On May 13, 2022
Salihusaliheen:
U are bold enough to see a Dead body.ha me I can't
He was still the same person.. the difference is that he wasn't breathing...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Teddy96: 12:33am On May 13, 2022
I do hear that dead people plays at times. . So knocking 3 times before entry is a sign of tellin them to go back to the corpse. .

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by TONYE001(m): 2:09am On May 13, 2022
YourFavorite21:
There is so much mystery about the dead that the living is oblivious of, remember their mortal body died not their spirit or soul. They are still active around their bodies till they are buried. You don't take them unawares you are inviting shock or even stroke, they are energies and entities at death, you notify them.

I have spent at least four years dissecting dead bodies. I have been in the mortuary for hours in the night studying....sometimes, alone, other times, with colleagues.

I've walked into rooms where dead bodies lay without knocking.

As a matter of fact, I've dissected the human body from head to toe.

I want to categorically tell you that a dead body is just a carcass...a log of wood, if I may.

It has no power whatsoever. All these talks are just products of our tradition.. We should know better.

31 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by hope4nigeria(m): 3:01am On May 13, 2022
Dorwadora:
I don't understand the reason behind it and I'm curious. Google is not giving me a coherent answer.

My late grandfather's friend passed away today, being a Muslim, it's a must that he must be buried today. My grandma called me to come to our hometown ( My present location to my hometown is just 1 hour) to say goodbye to Baba (May God rest his soul).

I got there, I wanted to enter but they said I should knock before entering incase Baba is dressing up or eating embarassed embarassed. I knocked once but they said I must knock thrice undecided undecided. I know all those eating and dressing up story is sakamanje.

I would have asked someone there but the atmosphere was melanchoIic and I was in a rush to see my grandma and now I'm on my way back to Ado.

What's the real reason for knocking?

A dead body can't feel or see. It dead undecided undecided... The body is useless or else it want to be used as compost.
there are things in this life are better left the way they are, the rest of it will end in nuclear premium tears investigating it! Dead slaps on you can be invisible if you keep investigating.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by BestMan001: 3:12am On May 13, 2022
TONYE001:

I have spent at least four years dissecting dead bodies. I have been in the mortuary for hours in the night studying....sometimes, alone, other times, with colleagues.

I've walked into rooms where dead bodies lay without knocking.

As a matter of fact, I've dissected the human body from head to toe.

I want to categorically tell you that a dead body is just a carcass...a log of wood, if you may.

It has no power whatsoever. All these talks are just products of our tradition.. We should know better.

Anatomy student, i hail ooooo shocked

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by revolt(m): 5:33am On May 13, 2022
Ask these villagers sef
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by khadaffi(m): 6:29am On May 13, 2022
Dorwadora:
When he was alive, he'd always give me yam, fish or 200 naira whenever I visit grin grin. He said I look like his mother embarassed

I'm not sure you understand the underlying question. He asked "why must you say goodbye to your grandpa's friend?" Since according to you the dead is dead. It can't see or hear and does not know what is going on. What is the purpose of the goodbye. If you are able to answer this, you would have answered your initial question above

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Ladiesdoctor(m): 6:31am On May 13, 2022
Foolish generation.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by illicit(m): 6:31am On May 13, 2022
Nothing will happen if u don't knock

Africans just chose to mystify things

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by aprilwise(m): 6:53am On May 13, 2022
Take your research to mortuary I believe you will find the answer to your question

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by MrOreo(m): 6:58am On May 13, 2022
YourFavorite21:
There is so much mystery about the dead that the living is oblivious of, remember their mortal body died not their spirit or soul. They are still active around their bodies till they are buried. You don't take them unawares you are inviting shock or even stroke, they are energies and entities at death, you notify them.
So much sense in this post...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Dorwadora(f): 7:45am On May 13, 2022
khadaffi:

I'm not sure you understand the underlying question. He asked "why must you say goodbye to your grandpa's friend?" Since according to you the dead is dead. It can't see or hear and does not know what is going on. What is the purpose of the goodbye. If you are able to answer this, you would have answered your initial question above
My answer should pass enough message to him that I was close to the man. He loved me, and I do to him too. Seeing him for the last time before entering the ground was a privilege.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by WantsandMore: 8:09am On May 13, 2022
It's funny how we are scared of the dead when it's perhaps the living we should be afraid of. To answer your question op, this practice is ancient, dates back to primitive men, hitherto, when man gained consciousness, treating the dead this way stems out of innate fear which is naturally biologic, cos the primitive had to contend with a lot in whatever natural habitat he finds hlimself, with no science and very little knowledge about what to do, which later evolved into deity worship, nothing special, the millennial man has evolved but sticks to some practices he cannot explain but copies this from his forefathers as he continue to honour them and their ways which he refers to culture or perhaps tradition. Be that as it may, man will continue to evolve until infinity. The world without end.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Utanisco(m): 8:21am On May 13, 2022
Kestolove:
blackman get problem

Lol
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by corziyaydi: 8:22am On May 13, 2022
Mystery
Get 1000 instagram followers for as low as 500 Naira. Contact us on WhatsApp
081-33-55-48-01
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Fidinno(m): 8:22am On May 13, 2022
I think the dead should be in a better position to answer this question.
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by arantess: 8:23am On May 13, 2022
Na wa, white man doesn't knock in their own morgues ooo

They just enter, even crack a joke and do their job

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by PrinceMajestic: 8:24am On May 13, 2022
The spirit has not yet rested and can slap you if you barge in on him, 3 times knocking is enough to alert the spirit that he has a visitor

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Jungleluv5: 8:24am On May 13, 2022
Ask the mortuary attendant or is there any mortuary attendant in the house so that they can shed more light on this issue
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by joyandfaith: 8:26am On May 13, 2022
YourFavorite21:

How do you know that?
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Codes151(m): 8:27am On May 13, 2022
Why don't you check and investigate and show us.

Try a mortuary.
Pay the attendant not to disturb you.

At 12am
Open door and fall in.
Try and give us feedback.
We self Dey curious why dem d knock.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Kaybaba5(m): 8:27am On May 13, 2022
Salihusaliheen:
U are bold enough to see a Dead body.ha me I can't
Who no go delete
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by Havertz10: 8:29am On May 13, 2022
Kestolove:
blackman get problem
cheesy
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by ricefa1398: 8:30am On May 13, 2022
lipsrsealed
Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by everythinggirly(f): 8:30am On May 13, 2022
All these things are just stupid myths they keep sharing and passing to various generations.
A dead person is a dead person. I remember when I was very young and when my mom was still alive, whenever rain is falling and there's heavy lightning and thunder she'll make one sound, she made her children believe that, by doing that sound it won't affect them.
Africans and traditions are one.

Hit me up for your academic research writing services!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by TooMuchStuff: 8:31am On May 13, 2022
Spirits or ghosts attitudes are linked to the living via ya DNA. If you are genuinely his blood, nothing can happen to you even if you barged into the room.

1 Like

Re: Why Must I Knock 3 Times Before Entering A Room A Dead Body Is Being Laid? by chatinent: 8:31am On May 13, 2022
You saw nothing wrong in saying goodbye to the dead but are superstitious about knocking?

Tell me sth more...

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife And His Wife Arrive Canada In Style. Photos / Ooni Ogunwusi & His Wife Collect Offering At A Church In UK (Photos) / The Great Songhai Empire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.