Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,149 members, 7,815,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:07 AM

Mercy Eke Fires Back At Those Mocking Her Accent, I Lived & Schooled In Owerri - Celebrities (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Mercy Eke Fires Back At Those Mocking Her Accent, I Lived & Schooled In Owerri (42596 Views)

Rema Fires Back At Those Mocking His 'Dumebi' Video / Bolanle Olukanni Slams Those Mocking Oge Okoye For Visiting Resurrection Pastor / Ifu Ennada Calls Out OAP Dotun For Mocking Her, he replis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mercy Eke Fires Back At Those Mocking Her Accent, I Lived & Schooled In Owerri by OmoNla99: 2:41pm On Jun 04, 2022
Foreigna2:

They are all from countries where English is not their official language.
English is Nigeria's official language and Mercy speaks English like a vegetable hawker.

They there. Even those from English speaking countries have there accents. I bet you can barely understand when a Scottish man is speaking.

2 Likes

Re: Mercy Eke Fires Back At Those Mocking Her Accent, I Lived & Schooled In Owerri by Bfly: 2:42pm On Jun 04, 2022
Average Nigerian gets dopamin-hit from meddling in Triviality.
Re: Mercy Eke Fires Back At Those Mocking Her Accent, I Lived & Schooled In Owerri by Proudlyomonna: 2:42pm On Jun 04, 2022
My dear rock your Owerri ascent with pride grin
Re: Mercy Eke Fires Back At Those Mocking Her Accent, I Lived & Schooled In Owerri by Foreigna2: 2:42pm On Jun 04, 2022
We4all:

You said it all. Mercy reminds me of a slay queen who claims to be a graduate. Omoo, that girl likes yanga but can’t even converse in pidgin English.

Go to NYSC camps and listen to them, graduates o. They say nonsense with confidence.
Re: Mercy Eke Fires Back At Those Mocking Her Accent, I Lived & Schooled In Owerri by Kog45(m): 2:42pm On Jun 04, 2022
DARLINGTON869:
For once, I will pitch my tent with Mercy Eke. First of all, she's a Nigerian. Secondly, she never schooled outside. He speaking with a local accent doesn't really matter as long as she gets her grammar correct. She's also very right about Ronaldo. Most of the superstars in the premier league can't speak English fluently and the fans don't even give a kettle's cover about that.

T O DARLING
If she speak good English then what has her accent got to do with it,everyone cannot be John Fashanu...oh people want her to start faking her accent like other celebrities that went to UK for the first time in their 30s and 40s.

1 Like

Re: Mercy Eke Fires Back At Those Mocking Her Accent, I Lived & Schooled In Owerri by Bitchiamjay(m): 2:42pm On Jun 04, 2022
uchaymart:

She speaks the common English. Your expectations are just high from her being a celebrity..

Thierry Henry is from same country as Zidane yet he speaks English well.... please don't tell me he stayed in Arsenal for so many years...he came to Arsenal when he was already good with English words

Pierre Aubameyang was born in France, a Gabon national, he never played for any English side until arsenal, have you heard him speak in English?

Olivier Giroud same thing....

lol bro if you stay in France for 10 years and learn French, you’ll speak like them cuz it’s your first time learning the language. The way you’d speak the French, even the Togolese and Gabonese would think you’ are from France. KDB and VVD speaks like they are Brits. In the case of Mercy Eke, it’s totally different because the English she heard while growing up was their local “Owerri-English”. She’s used to it, you can’t change her. It’d take a lot training, effort and dedication to remove that accent from her tongue.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mercy Eke Fires Back At Those Mocking Her Accent, I Lived & Schooled In Owerri by Geenosko: 2:43pm On Jun 04, 2022
Very valid point.
How else are they expecting her to speak?
Re: Mercy Eke Fires Back At Those Mocking Her Accent, I Lived & Schooled In Owerri by We4all: 2:46pm On Jun 04, 2022
DARLINGTON869:
For once, I will pitch my tent with Mercy Eke. First of all, she's a Nigerian. Secondly, she never schooled outside. Her speaking with a local accent doesn't really matter as long as she gets her grammar correct. She's also very right about Ronaldo. Most of the superstars in the premier league can't speak English fluently and the fans don't even give a kettle's cover about that.

T O DARLING

That’s the problem, she can’t communicate in English! Although, I noticed that someone has been coaching her recently on how to cram some English words and sentences.

Whenever I see Mercy and the type of men she rolls with, I realized that most men are just dumb and low class. No elegant or sophisticated man will ever settle for someone like Mercy.

1 Like

Re: Mercy Eke Fires Back At Those Mocking Her Accent, I Lived & Schooled In Owerri by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jun 04, 2022
Abi na..u are right my dear they will leave their villages to lagos to come and start forming mumu champion..they will be insulting South westerners instead of respecting them..all those knw is to insult tinubu..the man that made lagos comfortable for them and their forefathers..they are just to local and arrogant..
SugarGirl44:
Thank God for SW in you and your people's lives, if not who for sabi your papa. You would have remained the local champion that you are.

But unfortunately, instead of them to be grateful to us for getting them close to civilization, they still run their mouths around.

Mention me and I'll send you back home, shebi una no dey like hear truth.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mercy Eke Fires Back At Those Mocking Her Accent, I Lived & Schooled In Owerri by ensamy(m): 2:47pm On Jun 04, 2022
What of Buhari, Orji Uzo , even Ngozi Okonjo.
All have accent
Re: Mercy Eke Fires Back At Those Mocking Her Accent, I Lived & Schooled In Owerri by OmoNla99: 2:49pm On Jun 04, 2022
Godoverevery:

And am telling people don't have problem with the igbotic accent.....buhari have hausa accent but he use correct English words when speaking........mercy use primary school English words.

This what I mean ......saying sentences like "come and be going" thus just an example.

If she speaks primary school English, she tried a lot. I can tell yours is the nursery/kindergarten type of English judging by what you wrote here.
Re: Mercy Eke Fires Back At Those Mocking Her Accent, I Lived & Schooled In Owerri by iykofias(m): 2:50pm On Jun 04, 2022
Foreigna2:

Actually, your pauper of a father has an account officer. Instead of monitoring his money, they are monitoring his poverty.
you’re in my prayers

Re: Mercy Eke Fires Back At Those Mocking Her Accent, I Lived & Schooled In Owerri by francotunsco: 2:50pm On Jun 04, 2022
Brainjotting:
Even though I will admit that her accent doesn't match her looks, but to mock her about it is a no no, *no body* is perfect.

*I write business plans/proposals for people at affordable price*
...nobody is perfect.
Re: Mercy Eke Fires Back At Those Mocking Her Accent, I Lived & Schooled In Owerri by moje4: 2:50pm On Jun 04, 2022
Jay jay okocha (Enugu) and kanu Nwankwo(Owerri) play most of there professional football in England. When u hear them speak English, nobody need to tell you that they are Igbos

1 Like

Re: Mercy Eke Fires Back At Those Mocking Her Accent, I Lived & Schooled In Owerri by angelfallz(m): 2:50pm On Jun 04, 2022
People are just funny. This is the inferiority complex that I speak about. You are mocking a black Nigerian lady because of her English accent, but you are mute when a white person speaks English with an accent, we blacks have serious issues.
Re: Mercy Eke Fires Back At Those Mocking Her Accent, I Lived & Schooled In Owerri by Diligence: 2:51pm On Jun 04, 2022
Mock an Indian of his accent and you kiss goodbye to ICT training!

You see why people love and cherish original, Mercy Lamborghini!
Re: Mercy Eke Fires Back At Those Mocking Her Accent, I Lived & Schooled In Owerri by uchaymart(m): 2:51pm On Jun 04, 2022
Bitchiamjay:

lol bro if you stay in France for 10 years and learn French, you’ll speak like them cuz it’s your first time learning the language. The way you’d speak the French, even the Togolese and Gabonese would think you’ are from France. KDB and VVD speaks like they are Brits. In the case of Mercy Eke, it’s totally different because the English she heard while growing up was their local “Owerri-English”. She’s used to it, you can’t change her. It’d take a lot training, effort and dedication to remove that accent from her tongue.

Yeah. People's expectations are just so high...

Does Davido speak well even as he is a US citizen?
Re: Mercy Eke Fires Back At Those Mocking Her Accent, I Lived & Schooled In Owerri by DropsMic(m): 2:51pm On Jun 04, 2022
uchaymart:
Carlo Ancelotti, Jose Mourinho, Zidane, Unai Emery all speak bad English

The whites will never be as daft or lost as the blacks who not only mock those who can't speak the white man's language but also see those who don't worship the white man's God as doomed.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mercy Eke Fires Back At Those Mocking Her Accent, I Lived & Schooled In Owerri by angelfallz(m): 2:53pm On Jun 04, 2022
Gbam!!
DropsMic:

The whites will never be as daft or lost as the blacks who not only mock those who can't speak the white man's language but also see those who don't worship the white man's God as doomed.
Re: Mercy Eke Fires Back At Those Mocking Her Accent, I Lived & Schooled In Owerri by Godoverevery: 2:54pm On Jun 04, 2022
Pinklygul:

Patience Jonathan is not Igbo!!!
She has very poor construction of English language

Yet, she ruled you for over six years undecided!
Be jonzing yourself
Nansins...
I don't understand why you are pained.......you guys need to this nonsense of attacking everyone with different view.

Common on .....it is foolishness trying fight over something like this on a faceless forum.
Re: Mercy Eke Fires Back At Those Mocking Her Accent, I Lived & Schooled In Owerri by SugarGirl44(f): 2:54pm On Jun 04, 2022
zionmade:

You sound pathetic. Very foolish at that
You can't see farther than your nose. If you are truly a girl then I pity the bastards you will give birth to

E pain am.
Get well soon ok.

I won't follow the way of your mother, she clearly goofed giving birth to you.

1 Like

Re: Mercy Eke Fires Back At Those Mocking Her Accent, I Lived & Schooled In Owerri by descarado: 2:55pm On Jun 04, 2022
Those attacking her have very low inferiority complex. I have some people here who have lived in uk more than 20 yrs, even schooled here but still speak with their accent. That is their identity.
Even a Scottish man has different accent and his English is so out of this world.

Of all the things to worry about.
Misplaced priority.
Who perfect queen's English help.
Has it put food on your table or secured jobs for you.

In my line of profession here, I have seen people that will make you think if they ever went to school when they open their mouth.
The English man who employed them don't look at the accent or posh English.

Shame on you guys.

That's the inferiority complex we talk about that kept us in perpetual poverty.
Buhari is your president. His accent is wonderful abi?
Mtchew.
Lazy and jobless folks.
So annoying

3 Likes

Re: Mercy Eke Fires Back At Those Mocking Her Accent, I Lived & Schooled In Owerri by Jman06(m): 2:56pm On Jun 04, 2022
Only foolish Nigerians mock others for their accents. Unless you lived in cities having people from different languages whereby English is used as a central language of communication, you won't escape having an accent.

Someone who lives in Lagos, Abuja, Benin city, PH etc might have less accents compared to someone who lives in Owerri, Enugu, Onitsha, Oshogo, Ado Ekiti, Ijebu ode, Birnin Kebbi, Gusau etc.

We all know that most Igbos speak central Igbo and have little interaction with people from other Nigerian languages except when they go outside Igboland, so Mercy Ekeh having an accent is understandable.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mercy Eke Fires Back At Those Mocking Her Accent, I Lived & Schooled In Owerri by Foreigna2: 2:56pm On Jun 04, 2022
iykofias:
you’re in my prayers

Pray for yourself so that you will be able to afford quality education for your kids and they won't be speaking ogiri English like you.
Re: Mercy Eke Fires Back At Those Mocking Her Accent, I Lived & Schooled In Owerri by angelfallz(m): 2:56pm On Jun 04, 2022
The same English that is a secondary language for most people in Nigeria?
The same English of which 99% of Nigerian speakers can't even make good sentences or grammar or pronunciation?

Guy stop showing your inferiority complex.

Foreigna2:

English is Nigeria's official language and Mercy speaks English like a vegetable hawker.

2 Likes

Re: Mercy Eke Fires Back At Those Mocking Her Accent, I Lived & Schooled In Owerri by Lazenby007(m): 2:58pm On Jun 04, 2022
uchaymart:
Carlo Ancelotti, Jose Mourinho, Zidane, Unai Emery all speak bad English
Her case is accent and not bad english

1 Like

Re: Mercy Eke Fires Back At Those Mocking Her Accent, I Lived & Schooled In Owerri by GODPUNISHALABI: 2:59pm On Jun 04, 2022
uchaymart:

He needs to be a coach in England, you mean?

Arsene Wenger speaks Spanish, Italian, Japanese even though we barely know he has any history with the above countries.

France president, Emmanuel Macron speaks better English. Does he have any history in any of the country you listed? NO.
Guy comot for here e dey obvious u get brain damage
Re: Mercy Eke Fires Back At Those Mocking Her Accent, I Lived & Schooled In Owerri by Beniyke1: 3:00pm On Jun 04, 2022
Foreigna2:

very dumb comment I must say. You simply want and except her to form a fake British and american accent like most of your fake celebrities whom you adore. She doesn’t need your validation. You can as well remind your President that English is his country’s official language or ain’t it?

2 Likes

Re: Mercy Eke Fires Back At Those Mocking Her Accent, I Lived & Schooled In Owerri by Foreigna2: 3:00pm On Jun 04, 2022
Godoverevery:

And am telling people don't have problem with the igbotic accent.....buhari have hausa accent but he use correct English words when speaking........mercy use primary school English words.

This what I mean ......saying sentences like "come and be going" thus just an example.

Mercy is naturally unintelligent. Her problem is not only diction, but she has a natural inability to be intellectually productive. If you notice, not only her limited lexicon, her dumb thoughts show that she's intellectually handicapped.

1 Like

Re: Mercy Eke Fires Back At Those Mocking Her Accent, I Lived & Schooled In Owerri by Foreigna2: 3:02pm On Jun 04, 2022
Beniyke1:
very dumb comment I must say. You simply want and except her to form a fake British and american accent like most of your fake celebrities whom you adore. She doesn’t need your validation. You can as well remind your President that English is his country’s official language or ain’t it?

Go to Instagram and read her posts. You see grammatical and spelling errors everywhere.
It is unfortunate that despite all that was spent on your education, you are stupidly defending a dumb illiterate.

1 Like

Re: Mercy Eke Fires Back At Those Mocking Her Accent, I Lived & Schooled In Owerri by Sterope(f): 3:03pm On Jun 04, 2022
Nigerians can be classisst sha undecided

2 Likes

Re: Mercy Eke Fires Back At Those Mocking Her Accent, I Lived & Schooled In Owerri by kunkelhanspeter(m): 3:05pm On Jun 04, 2022
uchaymart:

She speaks the common English. Your expectations are just high from her being a celebrity..

Thierry Henry is from same country as Zidane yet he speaks English well.... please don't tell me he stayed in Arsenal for so many years...he came to Arsenal when he was already good with English words

Pierre Aubameyang was born in France, a Gabon national, he never played for any English side until arsenal, have you heard him speak in English?

Olivier Giroud same thing....
I was shocked Toni Kroos speak good English

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Tiwa Savage Is The Most Beautiful Nigerian Female Singer / Davido Buys Iphone X For All Of His Team Members (photos/video) / Mr Ibu: I Died And Woke Up After 4 Days - John Okafor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.