Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,167 members, 7,815,063 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:38 AM

Why Are Some People Afraid Of Falling In Love? - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Are Some People Afraid Of Falling In Love? (9898 Views)

Man Needs Advice After Falling In Love With A Prostitute (Snapshot) / Possibility Of Falling In Love With Someone Overseas / 17 Signs Of Falling In Love/Lust (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Some People Afraid Of Falling In Love? by Dyt(f): 8:17pm On Jul 21, 2011
Gd Luiz
where u run 2?
Re: Why Are Some People Afraid Of Falling In Love? by claremont(m): 8:17pm On Jul 21, 2011
Full_lips:

Finally, an interesting topic that I can also shed light on. Being a psychology major, love, and perceptions of love has been widely studied. Let me start by saying love is subjective and not everyone can define love in the decorum. There are different explanations for why people can be afraid of falling in love. One is that Love in its great purported magnitude, can be incredibly intense, which can be wonderful if you are ready for it, but may be unwelcome if not. It can be disruptive to someone's life especially if that person has a a busy work/social life. Another part of the fear of love, is the risk that the feeling will not be reciprocated. Unreciprocated love can be distressful; yearning for a person that may not be there emotionally, even if they are there physically. So the person may just try not to develop those feelings in the first place.
Re: Why Are Some People Afraid Of Falling In Love? by Dyt(f): 8:19pm On Jul 21, 2011
Hmmm hmmm
Claremont s ere o
Re: Why Are Some People Afraid Of Falling In Love? by Phate07(m): 8:19pm On Jul 21, 2011

Why are some folks saying that does not exist? It exist in everyone of us. It's just that we all have different ways of expressing it.

Everybody has the capacity to love and be loved.
Re: Why Are Some People Afraid Of Falling In Love? by Fulllips(f): 8:20pm On Jul 21, 2011
But I think the biggest fear of falling in love comes from the fear of loss. While it may be the most obvious, and perhaps most common, fear about love, it is also the most self-defeating, because the person ends up avoiding love out of fear of losing it. Which is why I think the saying "it is better to have love and lost, then never to have loved at all", is complete bull-s*** actually our natural mental instincts would be to avoid love it if we have any indication it will end up in loss. Loss is one of the biggest psychological fear.
Re: Why Are Some People Afraid Of Falling In Love? by Fulllips(f): 8:23pm On Jul 21, 2011
@claremont, By bad was that confusing? I was trying to say the love depends on the individual (subjective) and its not definable by a certain set of rules and standards. LOL is that more clear?
Re: Why Are Some People Afraid Of Falling In Love? by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jul 21, 2011
Full_lips:

But I think the biggest fear of falling in love comes from the fear of loss. While it may be the most obvious, and perhaps most common, fear about love, it is also the most self-defeating, because the person ends up avoiding love out of fear of losing it. Which is why I think the saying "it is better to have love and lost, then never to have loved at all",  is complete bull-s*** actually our natural mental instincts would be to avoid love it if we have any indication it will end up in loss. Loss is one of the biggest psychological fear.

This is very true! But I think we have to learn to totally love, in the moment, in the face of our fear of losing.Because what are we losing? We dont own love or each other. We only share a mutual loving experience for as long as it lasts.
Re: Why Are Some People Afraid Of Falling In Love? by 195(f): 8:35pm On Jul 21, 2011
Goldieluks:

190 must your derial every thread with your ado about nothings?
ingrate. shocked

u know wat u have to do wink
Re: Why Are Some People Afraid Of Falling In Love? by owo2390(m): 8:36pm On Jul 21, 2011
Love is complex, so it's also difficult to quantify.

Subconsciously you choose to fall in love, but the process is not obvious to lay people. You have to understand the process. Love makes you vulnerable, love makes you weak, the act of deriving your happiness from someone else can be a daunting and debilitating task. So, the fear of falling in love comes from the fear of being weak and vulnerable. But in life most forms from happiness comes from vulnerability- from stepping outside your comfort zone. I think!!

i'm 21. My knowledge of love is kinda scanty, so bear with me.
Re: Why Are Some People Afraid Of Falling In Love? by claremont(m): 8:40pm On Jul 21, 2011
Full_lips:

@claremont,  By bad was that confusing?  I was trying to say the love depends on the individual (subjective) and its not definable by a certain set of rules and standards. LOL is that more clear?

Full_lips:

But I think the biggest fear of falling in love comes from the fear of loss. While it may be the most obvious, and perhaps most common, fear about love, it is also the most self-defeating, because the person ends up avoiding love out of fear of losing it. Which is why I think the saying "it is better to have love and lost, then never to have loved at all",  is complete bull-s*** actually our natural mental instincts would be to avoid love it if we have any indication it will end up in loss. Loss is one of the biggest psychological fear.

What a load of bollocks!!!

Most research to date point to the fact that this thing people call "love" is a mere part of a mating ritual which has existed in animals all through the centuries of evolution. People "fall-in-love" simply because they are drawn to or want to have sex with someone they are attracted to. It is a simple evolutionary adaptation which has helped to sustain species over the years. There is no need for us to glorify it by giving it a mythical name called "love", because the truth is we are no different from apes. Every man switches between being human and being an ape on a daily basis, our ape-like character motivates us to mate with as many people as possible, while our human character wants us to be monogamous; it is not "love", it's basic science, and anything to the contrary is a delusion not much different from the ranting of a drunk Englishman.
Re: Why Are Some People Afraid Of Falling In Love? by Fulllips(f): 8:41pm On Jul 21, 2011
^^talina yup. Exactly. I think humans try and reason too much. But fear should not be in conjunction with falling in love, fear is to help alert a dangerous or risky situation. And we should be swept away by love, driven by passion, and lulled into romance.
Re: Why Are Some People Afraid Of Falling In Love? by claremont(m): 8:48pm On Jul 21, 2011
Phate07:

Why are some folks saying that does not exist? It exist in everyone of us. It's just that we all have different ways of expressing it.

Everybody has the capacity to love and be loved.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd e.g. Love, God. No proof whatsoever that this two belief systems exist, both are completely delusional, the adherents of both express psychotic and passionate views which prevent any form of logical reasoning.
Re: Why Are Some People Afraid Of Falling In Love? by Fulllips(f): 8:49pm On Jul 21, 2011
Claremont while I appreciate your ideas I disagree with them. Love is actually scientifically proven, I've read many studies on that particular topic. Granted, what you said is true about it being an animal instinct, it is also what separates us from animals. Just because apes can't love doesn't mean we can't. Actually love is a real feeling and emotion caused by certain neurological hormones; dopamine, oxytocin, adrenalin, and, I can't remember the other one, I think its  vasopression(sp?) anyways when humans "fall in love" those hormones are released, now to say that that's what causes love would be presumptuous. There are other factors such as environment, personality, etc.
Re: Why Are Some People Afraid Of Falling In Love? by owo2390(m): 8:51pm On Jul 21, 2011
I didn't want this to happen: Scientific quantification of love!

The same thing is happening to the universe, because we possess the mental faculties to understand love doesn't mean we should desecrate it. Love is special, supernatural and infectious. When you feel love, genuine love, it transforms you and you transcend everything around you. You are no longer one person but 2 people in one. It's a really special feeling that science has no right of taking away from us. To scientists love might be just a myriad of action potentials going through dopaminergic ion channels, but to ordinary people it's butterflies in your stomach, a song in your heart, and a glint in your eye.

I'm not a big showy romantic but I think we need love in this world. Love can, literally, conquer all and bring peace to many.

We need that now more than ever.

Vasopressin is Anti-diuretic hormone. It has nothing to do with love.
Re: Why Are Some People Afraid Of Falling In Love? by Fulllips(f): 8:53pm On Jul 21, 2011
With that being said, basically our brains are what falls in love, not our "hearts". But some say the heart is also related because some activation of the brain can generate simulations of the heart, such as "butterflies in the stomach"
Re: Why Are Some People Afraid Of Falling In Love? by Fulllips(f): 8:56pm On Jul 21, 2011
^^ I thought vasopressions was a euphoria inducing chemical, thus producing the feeling of being in love? *shrugs*  I could be wrong though. I agree with everything else you said though. I was just explaining how it can also be scientifically proven just like everything else.
Re: Why Are Some People Afraid Of Falling In Love? by owo2390(m): 8:59pm On Jul 21, 2011
You might be thinking of Dopamine, it's involved in addiction. And love is a kind of addiction.
Re: Why Are Some People Afraid Of Falling In Love? by claremont(m): 9:01pm On Jul 21, 2011
The onus rests on those who believe passionately in a subject to prove to us that the subject exists beyond every reasonable doubt, the lack of an objective definition and proof of the misnomer called "love" suggests to us that it is totally false, lacks any form of scientific basis whatsoever, and we might as well conclude that it is just another "old wives tale".
Re: Why Are Some People Afraid Of Falling In Love? by Fulllips(f): 9:06pm On Jul 21, 2011
^^ Aaah yes I definitely know Dopamine is one. You are right though I might be mixing up my chemicals. I can't think of the fourth one though, I've only taken a couple neuropsych courses, and it is the summer lol. But yes now that I think of it Vasopression isn't one, I think I'm mixing my psych terms with physiology terms, My bad thanks for clarifying.
Re: Why Are Some People Afraid Of Falling In Love? by pendo89(f): 9:10pm On Jul 21, 2011
oh God,

last time it was claremont vs sexkillz
now its claremont vs full-lips

same topic love!
undecided
Re: Why Are Some People Afraid Of Falling In Love? by Fulllips(f): 9:10pm On Jul 21, 2011
Claremont, I think you have a definite right to your opinions and belief, but I think we do to. To tell us that love does not exist because there is no objective definition is unfair. I love everyday, and it is very real to me. I love you Claremont *hugs*
Re: Why Are Some People Afraid Of Falling In Love? by Fulllips(f): 9:15pm On Jul 21, 2011
pendo89, oh so he does this often lol. I must admit its entertaining. I've been taught to express my opinion while respecting and listening to others. Everything he said was valid. And I love hearing others people's opinions on topics like this. I think its good for healthy dialogue. I respect his opinion while i might not agree with them, but I will not continue back and forth. I have said my peace, and I am happy with what I feel and know.
Re: Why Are Some People Afraid Of Falling In Love? by owo2390(m): 9:16pm On Jul 21, 2011
I think people who confer science pompously upon others are missing something special in their life. Love exists, it has being scientifically proven. Accept it.

For example, there was a study where a man and a woman were asked to stare into one another eyes for 10 minutes, and a fMRI was taken, the scientist realized that the subject's Dopamine level increased. And the two research subject proclaimed that they felt like they were falling in love. Love is not hard science like chemistry or physics, so you just have to believe. Or not.

I'm a bio major and a psych minor in college so i love this stuff.
Re: Why Are Some People Afraid Of Falling In Love? by claremont(m): 9:18pm On Jul 21, 2011
Full_lips:

Claremont, I think you have a definite right to your opinions and belief, but I think we do to. To tell us that love does not exist because there is no objective definition is unfair. I love everyday, and it is very real to me. I love you Claremont *hugs*
Let me tell you what the honest truth is, which I believe you know already!
You "love" because you believe that "love" exists, your belief in "love" or "God" is not backed by any scientific fact whatsoever. I make my assertions on the basis of firm science, not on the basis of my beliefs, and the scientific world overwhelmingly agrees that "love" has not, does not, and will never exist . I do understand that you and everyone else have a right to believe in "love", but don't use science to try to justify your personal belief system.
Re: Why Are Some People Afraid Of Falling In Love? by Nobody: 9:21pm On Jul 21, 2011
190_@:

so u can keep me smiley
Still waiting for an answer to my proposal yesterday
Not kiddin im serious smiley smiley

hey man angry

why the angry face. show me ur teeth immeditely angry
Dyt:

Gd Luiz
where u run 2?
been right here dear wink
Re: Why Are Some People Afraid Of Falling In Love? by Dyt(f): 9:24pm On Jul 21, 2011
Oh u jst hide den
Claremont
i said we shld love eachoda u avoidin abi?
Re: Why Are Some People Afraid Of Falling In Love? by 195(f): 9:31pm On Jul 21, 2011
luizworld:

why the angry face. show me your teeth immeditely angry been right here dear wink

undecided undecided
Re: Why Are Some People Afraid Of Falling In Love? by Fulllips(f): 9:35pm On Jul 21, 2011
@owo I know I love this stuff too, If you cannot see my passion in my other posts, lol But yeahh I agree with you.!

@claremont let's just agree to disagree, I know what I know and I believe what I believe. My question is what is the big harm in believing in love, or "God" as you put it? If you believe these things don't exist, then go about your business and do you boo. There's no need to put us down or call on our delusions. It's unnecessary for you to rant and rave about how this and that doesn't exist, its like you are seeking validation for yourself. You're the one who seems all worked up over something so subjective. I got an idea why don't you live a little, and love a little, lol I'll live with my "delusions" and live a fulfilling life. Thank you very much. I still love you though. *hugs harder*
Re: Why Are Some People Afraid Of Falling In Love? by Fulllips(f): 9:39pm On Jul 21, 2011
Ok, 190 You are kinda cute, I see you!
Re: Why Are Some People Afraid Of Falling In Love? by Goldieluks: 9:41pm On Jul 21, 2011
undecided undecided undecided
Re: Why Are Some People Afraid Of Falling In Love? by claremont(m): 9:46pm On Jul 21, 2011
Everyone has the right to believe in such things like Love, God, Black magic, Miracles, e.t.c., BUT let no one try to use science to justify such personal beliefs. Whatever you believe in is personal to you and you alone, it will only concern me when I see you trying to justify it with some form of science. I will not argue with anyone who believes in "love", BUT I will argue with those who justify their beliefs with science, because science proves otherwise.

Dyt:

Oh u jst hide den
Claremont
i said we shld love eachoda u avoidin abi?
kiss kiss kiss
Re: Why Are Some People Afraid Of Falling In Love? by kandiikane(m): 9:46pm On Jul 21, 2011
claremont:

Let me tell you what the honest truth is, which I believe you know already!
You "love" because you believe that "love" exists, your belief in "love" or "God" is not backed by any scientific fact whatsoever. I make my assertions on the basis of firm science, not on the basis of my beliefs, and the scientific world overwhelmingly agrees that "love" has not, does not, and will never exist . I do understand that you and everyone else have a right to believe in "love", but don't use science to try to justify your personal belief system.

I would like you to give me the research  or evidence you found that says LOVE does not exist. .Please, I am waiting. .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What’s The Sweetest Thing Someone Of The Opposite Sex Has Ever Done For You? / See Wetin Dey Hungry Me [Picture] / How Do U Know That A Man Is A Virgin?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.