Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,868 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:45 PM

Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) (27131 Views)

The Religion The Is Practicing What Jesus Taught. / What Did Jesus Christ Mean When He Said "Let The Dead Bury The Dead"? / What Does Matthew 8:22 Mean By "Let The Dead Bury Their Own Dead"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by sinah25: 9:20am On Jun 19, 2022
I have explained myself before, the second meaning to this is .....We should put God first in anything we do.
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by arantess: 9:21am On Jun 19, 2022
RapistOnBail:

Na format Jesus been use that year to acquire men as disciples.

Figurative speech
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by geunik(m): 9:22am On Jun 19, 2022
YoudeyVexme:
I have tried understanding that scripture since I was a kid, till now I still don't understand.
Does he mean the owo attack that people died in the church, living members shouldn't have buried them. But leave them there for the dead people to come bury them?

Simple way of saying we should quit pleasing the dead for they cannot feel or see. They will face their judgement and there is nothing the living can do about it then. We should be more interested in saving humans that are still alive.
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by jacoik(m): 9:23am On Jun 19, 2022
Heroicvic:
I come in peace to witness this violence, not to partake in it in any form but to feed off of it. I do not support the oppressor neither do I feel for the oppressed and I will not tolerate anyone who seek peace, for violence is the only option.
On this ground will I seat and witness unrest.
So help me God✋�
I have tried to read your comment like four times now but can't comprehend what it are saying. What you just said now, is it part of the discussion?
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by LINSAR: 9:34am On Jun 19, 2022
Heroicvic:
I come in peace to witness this violence, not to partake in it in any form but to feed off of it. I do not support the oppressor neither do I feel for the oppressed and I will not tolerate anyone who seek peace, for violence is the only option.
So help me God✋�

Childish cruise.
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by harmargedon: 9:35am On Jun 19, 2022
YoudeyVexme:
I have tried understanding that scripture since I was a kid, till now I still don't understand.
Does he mean the owo attack that people died in the church, living members shouldn't have buried them. But leave them there for the dead people to come bury them?

it was a plain speech made by him, he was in a hurry to where he was going. Read the rest of the chapter to understand fully.
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by VirileNelly2420: 9:37am On Jun 19, 2022
RapistOnBail:

grin u dey craze
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by beejaay: 9:43am On Jun 19, 2022
YoudeyVexme:

It's an allegory, most religious scriptures are allegorical which make them suitable for all time.. Stop trying to interpret them literally but in the context of your ossue

Dead burying the dead can be attached to so many things for example you write and exam you put in so much effort but you eventually failed, don't waste to much time thinking on ur invested time and money on the exam cos it has already happened(dead in the past), instead look into the future and present and make another memory(the living),... Past is dead and present is living.. Don't waste time on the past, learn from it and live in the present

1 Like

Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by ictplotter(m): 9:46am On Jun 19, 2022
Gabbriell:
Here is what led to Jesus saying those words:

Luke 9:59
He (Jesus) said to another man, “Follow me.” But he replied, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.”

Then Jesus reply:
Luke 9:60
Jesus said to him, “Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim the kingdom of God.”

So what does it mean ?
The word "dead" is used twice in the sentence.

The first one refers to those who are alive but dead (spiritually). These people do not know about God or believe in God.

The second one refers to someone who is dead (physically and spiritually). That is someone who died without knowing God.

The man Jesus was talking to has already found Jesus. So he is not dead (spiritually), that is why Jesus was setting his priorities straight. Saying he should leave the dead (spiritually dead) to bury their dead (spiritually and physically dead).
U mean by ur explanation the believers should bury the believers and unbelievers should bury unbelievers.
Your explanation is confused more than even the direct bible verse. I know some gullible people will accept this trash called explanation from u. Christians should stop manipulating the bible to deceive the gullible ones and accept 70% of the bible is totally a spiritual error.

Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by frenzzy2(m): 9:55am On Jun 19, 2022
RapistOnBail:

i bet my life say you been dey on arizona diet b4 u type this
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Nobody: 9:58am On Jun 19, 2022
Gabbriell:

He (Jesus) said to another man, “Follow me.” But he replied, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.”

Then Jesus reply:
Jesus said to him, “Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim the kingdom of God.”

So what does it mean ?

The first one refers to those who are alive but dead (spiritually). These people do not know about God or believe in God.

The second one refers to someone who is dead (physically and spiritually). That is someone who died without knowing God.

The man Jesus was talking to has already found Jesus. So he is not dead (spiritually), that is why Jesus was setting his priorities straight. Saying he should leave the dead (spiritually dead) to bury their dead (spiritually and physically dead).

Kaii... U finish work here...

Am moved and God has recorded this for you
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Mamijoh(f): 10:06am On Jun 19, 2022
Lilimax:
It literally means that you should face your own matter and do not meddle in what does not concern you.

Meanwhile Happy fathers day to every responsible fathers out there. Those that are shouldering their responsibility as the MAN of the house, loving their wives as their help meet and pointing their children to the right way.
May the Lord bless and keep.you all in Jesus name. Amen
Amen and Amen
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by barristerbiodun(m): 10:09am On Jun 19, 2022
Simply means we all shall due some day. When we cry for the dead, we are in fact crying also for ourselves because no man can escape death. It is a debt we all have to pay some day. When we bury the dead, we too shall be buried some day. "Dead" burying the dead....
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by odinson1(m): 10:10am On Jun 19, 2022
Lilimax:
As long as that baby stays in your womb for 9months and your brought him/her out, you are a mother. No controversy!
But the person who fertilized the egg isn't the father,right? cheesy
It is impossible to become a mother without a father present to add to the equation,and vice versa
Know that and know peace,Manhater
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by BISHOPCHARLIE: 10:10am On Jun 19, 2022
Gabbriell:

Then Jesus reply:

So what does it mean ?

Does it now mean that having known God spiritually and alive, local man must not partake in the burial of his own parent? Whether the parent was "dead" spiritually or not.
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Bruno3000(m): 10:19am On Jun 19, 2022
Excellente'
Gabbriell:

Then Jesus reply:

So what does it mean ?

Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by grandstar(m): 10:22am On Jun 19, 2022
YoudeyVexme:

Why did Jesus make that statement? Jesus saw he was looking for an excuse to not follow him. There's nothing wrong in him burying his father but Jesus discerned this was not the real reason why he wanted to shirk walking with Jesus.

If the man was offered a one in life chance of 100 talents of gold to go to a far off land which will take him 6 days to complete, would he think his dad's burial took precedent to it? You know the answer.

How do we apply it today? We too should not look for excuses to shirk God's assignments or should we?

YoudeyVexme
If you have any questions, visit www.jw.org and search. It is a treasure trove of information.

I will also advise you to apply for a free online bible study. It is the best advise I can give you as it has everlasting benefits (Read Psalms 19:11, John 17:13, 1 Tim 4:10).

Apply today! (Read Galatians 6:2)
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Richie77: 10:29am On Jun 19, 2022
Jesus was actually talking in parables. He simply said "Let nothing hinder you from the work of the kingdom"

1 Like

Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Thathomeboy(m): 10:36am On Jun 19, 2022
It actually means we are all going to die at our appointed times, whether we like it or not…so we are all a dead man indirectly …no man is an immortal or immune to death
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Abemy(m): 10:39am On Jun 19, 2022
Gabbriell:

Then Jesus reply:

So what does it mean ?

This could not have been what Jesus meant, for these are the people he came to save. The spiritually dead to sin.
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by digitite: 10:40am On Jun 19, 2022
Natural man for the natural. Spiritual man for the spiritual.

1 Like

Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Abemy(m): 10:41am On Jun 19, 2022
Gabbriell:

Then Jesus reply:

So what does it mean ?

This could not have been what Jesus meant, for these are the people he came to save. The spiritually dead, and couldn't have asked the man to leave them alone.
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Snakedoctor1: 10:42am On Jun 19, 2022
YoudeyVexme:

This is the meaning:
There are problems that are spiritually foreclosed (insoluble). It is deadlocked. But it's only those that are spiritually aware (discerning spirit) that will understand such situations. Do not let those situations befallen anyone destined or pre ordained to grapple with such, delay your own progress.
If you discern such issues in people, "let the dead burry their dead".

1 Like

Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by riczy(m): 10:46am On Jun 19, 2022
It simply means any one with xt is dead in him cox he has chosen an unblemished course, burying d dead or d second dead includes evangelising to dox who doesn't know xt, dox hu doesn't know xt are dead in a sense!
The article dead is a figure of speech!. It simply mean Prioritise wat is most important which is evangelism!
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Bobloco: 10:47am On Jun 19, 2022
Heroicvic:
So help me God✋�

Hmmm

Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Godstiger(m): 10:47am On Jun 19, 2022
Heroicvic:
So help me God✋�
"The Assassin's Creed"
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Tuns20(m): 10:48am On Jun 19, 2022
YoudeyVexme:

To me, it means we’re all going to die no matter what..if you die today, someone will bury you and the same you that buried that person that died today would be buried by someone else and the cycle continues…..Apart From Jesus Christ, there’s nobody that this cycle won’t spin towards..it’s a FACT!!!
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by baralatie(m): 10:49am On Jun 19, 2022
specialmati:
grin grin grin grin this is what being a devoted Christian filled in the holy spirit can solve. When they tell you to go church join bible study classes you won't. Now you are asking the world something you should have known as a Christian grin grin grin
Abi
grin
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Tuns20(m): 10:49am On Jun 19, 2022
[quote author=YoudeyVexme post=113944480]I have tried understanding that scripture since I was a kid, till now I still don't understand.

To me, it means we’re all going to die no matter what..if you die today, someone will bury you and the same you that buried that person that died today would be buried by someone else and the cycle continues…..Apart From Jesus Christ, there’s nobody that this cycle won’t spin towards..it’s a FACT!!!
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Akakanfirstclass(m): 10:50am On Jun 19, 2022
Gabbriell:

Then Jesus reply:

So what does it mean ?

you're closer but the real thing is..

"let the dead go and bury their own dead"

means let those that are sinners bury their sins..
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by baralatie(m): 10:50am On Jun 19, 2022
Tuns20:

That is another way to see it

Let the dead bury the dead

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Suleman Shakes His Church Members For Their Support During DSS Saga / Daddy Freeze: Stop Giving Winners And Redeemed Church Members Financial Aids / Paul And Becky Enenche Celebrate 26th Wedding Anniversary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.