Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,277 members, 7,829,620 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:45 AM

Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) (27160 Views)

The Religion The Is Practicing What Jesus Taught. / What Did Jesus Christ Mean When He Said "Let The Dead Bury The Dead"? / What Does Matthew 8:22 Mean By "Let The Dead Bury Their Own Dead"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by shinealight(m): 12:29pm On Jun 19, 2022
Talk2donstan:
Leave the dead for the dead people

It means: Let those who are inwardly spiritually barren, devoid of knowledge, unenlightened or confused, continue in their arrogant foolishness to lead their equally unenlightened followers astray so that both groups may perish together in eternal damnation!
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by socialmallam(m): 12:29pm On Jun 19, 2022
Yo peeps!

Only those that finished first class from philosophy and logic can partake in this question....

Purely logical
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by shinealight(m): 12:30pm On Jun 19, 2022
Cyphar:
Me self no know the meaning

It means: Let those who are inwardly spiritually barren, devoid of knowledge, unenlightened or confused, continue in their arrogant foolishness to lead their equally unenlightened followers astray so that both groups may perish together in eternal damnation!
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by shinealight(m): 12:33pm On Jun 19, 2022
Cyphar:
Me self no know the meaning

Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by shinealight(m): 12:36pm On Jun 19, 2022
Gabbriell:
Here is what led to Jesus saying those words:

Luke 9:59
He (Jesus) said to another man, “Follow me.” But he replied, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.”

Then Jesus reply:
Luke 9:60
Jesus said to him, “Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim the kingdom of God.”

So what does it mean ?
The word "dead" is used twice in the sentence.

The first one refers to those who are alive but dead (spiritually). These people do not know about God or believe in God.

The second one refers to someone who is dead (physically and spiritually). That is someone who died without knowing God.

The man Jesus was talking to has already found Jesus. So he is not dead (spiritually), that is why Jesus was setting his priorities straight. Saying he should leave the dead (spiritually dead) to bury their dead (spiritually and physically dead).

Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by beejaay: 12:37pm On Jun 19, 2022
baralatie:

This is called application of the scripture to solve current realities

scriptures are meant to solve problems associated with current realities cos realities vary from one generation to the other...
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by membranus: 12:40pm On Jun 19, 2022
mat 8:22

Let the dead bury their dead - It was usual for the Jews to consider a man as dead who had departed from the precepts of the law; and, on this ground, every transgressor was reputed a dead man. Our Lord's saying, being in common use, had nothing difficult in it to a Jew. Natural death is the separation of the body and soul; spiritual death, the separation of God and the soul: men who live in sin are dead to God. Leave the spiritually dead to bury their natural dead. All the common offices of life may be performed by any person; to preach the glad tidings of the kingdom of God is granted but to a few, and to these only by an especial call; these should immediately abandon worldly concerns and employments, and give themselves wholly up to the work of the ministry.
From Adam Clarke Bible Commentary.
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by MaxInDHouse(m): 12:41pm On Jun 19, 2022
From God's standpoint all the descendants of Adam will surely grow old, get sick and die because we have all inherited sin and death through sin! Romans 5:12

So Jesus' teachings will give us the privilege to reconcile with our heavenly father {John 1:11-12} all those who are practicing what Jesus taught has their names written in God's memory book {Malachi 3:16 compare to Revelations 20:15} but all those that feel God is not needed are walking corpse already because if God's Kingdom should come today they will all be exterminated {Luke 19:27} and if they should die naturally due to Adamic sin they will not be remembered during the resurrection of worthy ones! Psalms 9:17

So while believers have crossed from that condition to the other side with the prospect of everlasting life in view {John 11:25-26} the wicked are just like walking corpse!
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by highoctane: 12:42pm On Jun 19, 2022
YoudeyVexme:
I have tried understanding that scripture since I was a kid, till now I still don't understand.
Does he mean the owo attack that people died in the church, living members shouldn't have buried them. But leave them there for the dead people to come bury them?

You don't use what is not an emergency to beg off.
When an accident happens, it an emergency because it involves saving of life, also like ones home is on fire, these are legitimate excuses to beg off.
But when someone is dead, even without burying such body, within months, what you will see are bones and some sinews.
Example if one is to have a promotion interview or a huge contract to sign, will you tell a person or firm, please have me excused, let me go and bury my father.
Jesus extended an invitation that will lead the man to everlasting life, not wanting to get involved with Jesus or what he represented, he came up with that flimsy excuse.
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by baralatie(m): 12:46pm On Jun 19, 2022
highoctane:

You don't use what is not an emergency to beg off.
When an accident happens, it an emergency because it involves saving of life, also like ones home is on fire, these are legitimate excuses to beg off.
But when someone is dead, even without burying such body, within months, what you will see are bones and some sinews.
Example if one is to have a promotion interview or a huge contract to sign, will you tell a person or firm, please have me excused, let me go and bury my father.
Jesus extended an invitation that will lead the man to everlasting life, not wanting to get involved with Jesus or what he represented, he came up with that flimsy excuse.
Another good example
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by tomiwa1989(m): 12:50pm On Jun 19, 2022
specialmati:
grin grin grin grin this is what being a devoted Christian filled in the holy spirit can solve. When they tell you to go church join bible study classes you won't. Now you are asking the world something you should have known as a Christian grin grin grin
Na this wan un take day misleads una self so join a bible study class then dem go give u everything to swallow then u go say na holy sprite
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Lorenzo4949(m): 1:22pm On Jun 19, 2022
The man was only looking for excuses on how not to follow Jesus and probably do the work which he was called and Jesus, had to instruct him to abandon those excuses he was trying to make and follow him. That's the meaning of let the dead bury the dead
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Gabbriell: 1:22pm On Jun 19, 2022
Zinpat:

Are you then saying that when people die, only those dead spiritually should go for the burial Just asking...

Jesus is saying... not me.

The situation there was different. The were on evangelism.

It doesn't mean only the spiritually dead should go for burial.
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by zirKola: 1:36pm On Jun 19, 2022
Let the dead bury the dead means let those that are dead (alienated from Christ, unbelievers) bury the dead (those that are physically dead)

1 Like

Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by brainhgeek(m): 1:40pm On Jun 19, 2022
YoudeyVexme:
I have tried understanding that scripture since I was a kid, till now I still don't understand.
Does he mean the owo attack that people died in the church, living members shouldn't have buried them. But leave them there for the dead people to come bury them?

Let the spiritually dead burry their physically dead
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Acehart: 1:44pm On Jun 19, 2022
Zinpat:

Are you then saying that when people die, only those dead spiritually should go for the burial Just asking...

He did a good job with his exposition but he gave a lot of room for misunderstanding.

In the scriptures, the term 'dead' has three categories:

1. Tradition of men
2. Spiritually dead (to God or to the world).
3. Physically dead

In the context, all three categories are involved- tradition of men, one not under the ways of the world, and the Physically dead. Let the dead (those not under the ways of the world- the righteous) bury the dead (traditions of men).

The man gave an excuse not to follow the of God (immediately) saying, he is restrained by his earthly relationship, therefore, he wouldn't be able to have a heavenly relationship till his father is dead. Elisha was in a similar situation with Elijah; he simply notified his earthly father about the call of God and immediately joined Elijah along the way.

We were not told if he reconsidered but if he truly was dead to the world, he would follow Jesus.

Today, if Christ's voice is heard, we should not harden our hearts.
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Emmanuelellah: 1:51pm On Jun 19, 2022
Jesus was said this to show how important it is to put God first in all situations. He doesn't mean you should abandon dead body for dead to bury. If you try it the body will decay and polute the living with offensive odour and infection that lead to another death. "Jesus wept"for the dead. He shows concern. He raise the dead, He shows concern.

1 Like

Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by phemmyfour: 1:57pm On Jun 19, 2022
YoudeyVexme:

Lol, it's a figure of speech. It means you should focus on the things that matters to God. (Things that are alive not dead)
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Imstrong2(m): 2:02pm On Jun 19, 2022
Gabbriell:

For a person who is spiritually dead (while) alive, he will also be spiritually dead (when he physically dies). This is because there is no repentance and forgiveness after death.

Remember John 3:16, "For God so love the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who ever believe in him should not perish but have everlasting life"[/

If you have found Jesus (accept him as Lord and savior), you will not die (spiritual death) but simply pass on (death of the flesh) to live an everlasting life in paradise.

For those who died without accepting Jesus, the will not inherit everlasting life. They are forever dead (spiritually) since they cannot accept Jesus after death.

Roman 6:33 [b]"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord"

So "Spiritually" here, is not just referring to your spirit being, it is referring to your connection to Jesus Christ.
ok that's when a sinner dies

1 Like

Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by agos: 2:08pm On Jun 19, 2022
Those who are not saved should burry Those who are not saved as well
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by gentlegenius(m): 2:13pm On Jun 19, 2022
AFRICANJAMAICA:
It means make tinubu bury BUHARI
Buhari is healthier than Tinubu and might live longer than him.

1 Like

Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by spbaba07: 2:17pm On Jun 19, 2022
YoudeyVexme:

Jesus Christ telling us to focus most especially on safety people live than serious with dead people. And because, after someone die judgement follow. No chance of forgiveness again.
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by omojeesu(m): 2:50pm On Jun 19, 2022
YoudeyVexme:

My disciples don't waste time & resources on burial ceremonies as custom, tradition and religion demands. It is of no real value.

The dead is dead.

Let those who are spiritually dead in sin go ahead and waste all over one that is dead physically.
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by chidi10o: 2:52pm On Jun 19, 2022
........And the dead cannot even rest in peace in Nigeria........And the dead cannot even rest in peace in Nigeria...
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Adext4sure(m): 2:55pm On Jun 19, 2022
Righteousness99 should help us elaborate much better wink
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by kwasoly(m): 3:46pm On Jun 19, 2022
RapistOnBail:

Na format Jesus been use that year to acquire men as disciples.

Not true.
it means let the dead bury the dead.
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by josh4croft(m): 3:55pm On Jun 19, 2022
*I have been very passive on this platform but this topic has caught my attention to speak and I pray that you have the humility of heart to understand what I want to share.*

'Let the dead bury the dead' is a statement said by Jesus Himself in Matthew 8:22.

Firstly, all men died as a result of the sin of Adam in the beginning. In Genesis 3:19 after Adam sinned and the curse of death was released, man started dieing. Note that man was created as a living being, that is, to live eternally as God on earth (Image of God). But because of the curse death came in.

Thereafter, since all men come from Adam and inherited the curse (death), man started dieing also. Therefore, all men on earth including you reading this are DEAD. This is why in that text in Matthew 8:22, Jesus referred to everyone as dead( including the people alive/walking) except the ones who were following Him.
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Okimene: 3:57pm On Jun 19, 2022
It was a pareble, meaning if you don't follow or you're with Jesus, you're a dead man already. Jesus see those Who were not with him as dead as a corpse.
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Kobojunkie: 4:01pm On Jun 19, 2022
josh4croft:
1. Firstly, all men died as a result of the sin of Adam in the beginning. In Genesis 3:19 after Adam sinned and the curse of death was released, man started dieing. Note that man was created as a living being, that is, to live eternally as God on earth (Image of God). But because of the curse death came in.

2. Thereafter, since all men come from Adam and inherited the curse (death), man started dieing also. Therefore, all men on earth including you reading this are DEAD. This is why in that text in Matthew 8:22, Jesus referred to everyone as dead( including the people alive/walking) except the ones who were following Him.
1. Your claim there contradicts what is written of man not being eternal from creation right there in Genesis 3 vs 19 - 22. undecided

2. Are jews who don't believe in Jesus Christ also dead? undecided
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Kobojunkie: 4:02pm On Jun 19, 2022
Okimene:
It was a pareble, meaning if you don't follow or you're with Jesus, you're a dead man already. Jesus see those Who were not with him as dead as a corpse.
Abraham and the prophets of Old didn't follow Jesus Christ and yet Jesus Christ did not consider them dead. undecided
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Bbbw: 4:04pm On Jun 19, 2022
Hmmmm

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Youths Sack Catholic Priest In Imo State Community. Photos / Daddy Freeze: Stop Giving Winners And Redeemed Church Members Financial Aids / Sultan’s Misguided Comments On Adamawa Clashes Increasing Tension — Dami Mamza

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.