Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,572 members, 7,812,848 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:37 PM

Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) (27104 Views)

The Religion The Is Practicing What Jesus Taught. / What Did Jesus Christ Mean When He Said "Let The Dead Bury The Dead"? / What Does Matthew 8:22 Mean By "Let The Dead Bury Their Own Dead"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Nobody: 8:33am On Jun 19, 2022
The rich man was more invested in the customs and traditions associated in the burial of people. Most of these rituals have pagan practices - 40 days remembrance, 100 days remembrance, shaving the hair of the widow, having her drink the water used to bath the corpse, having her sleep beside the corpse for some days, carrying out certain superstitious rites to ensure passage of the dead, etc.

They say they do these things to ensure that the dead 'rests in peace', but even the Bible says the dead are unconscious with no thoughts, intentions or plans. From the day they die, they become dust and perish.

Jesus statement 'let the dead bury the dead' therefore means that as Christians, we should not be drawn into the long and unbearable process of burial traditions and superstitions in such a way that it harms our race to salvation and makes us put our hands into practices that God disapproves of.

My POV anyway ...

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by pak: 8:34am On Jun 19, 2022
Jesus wasn't against burial.
The covenant fathers - Abraham, Isaac, Jacob etc were all buried according to Jewish tradition.
The disciples of John buried him after he was killed, Even Jesus was buried by Joseph Aritmea after crucifixion.

The phrase must be placed in context, the disciple was seeking to follow Jesus but there was a 'BUT' - He wanted to put the burial of his father

And another of his disciples said unto him, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father. Matt 8 v 21.

And that was what made Jesus give the response - Jesus is THE LIFE and outside him, everything represents spiritual death, so you cannot put anything before him.

Another angle is, many scholars believe the statement also implied that the man was trying to sort out his inheritance first (bury my father) before following Jesus, meaning Jesus was actually indicating that you cannot put carnal, wordly, dead things ahead of the call of God.

It has absolutely nothing to do with Owo Massacre if you understand the context

1 Like

Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by infini771: 8:34am On Jun 19, 2022
If you are not in Christ, then you do not have life in you.
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by ekineme: 8:34am On Jun 19, 2022
Let the Dead Bury the Dead: A Matter of Priority
“First let me go and bury my father.”

When you think of burials today, our process is rather straightforward. A person dies and within days there is usually a funeral. Once the funeral is complete, you go to the gravesite and proceed with burying the body. This is typically done within the same day or at most the funeral is one day and the burial the next. Regardless of how it’s done, the process isn’t long and drawn out, and is completed within a short span of time.

This man’s situation was a little bit different. For starters, the man’s father wasn’t dead yet. In Jesus’ day the statement this man made had a completely different meaning than it would have today. In his article, Billy Graham explains what the man is really saying: Jesus I will follow you but first let me stay with my father, until he dies. I am not sure how long that will take but once that happens then I will bury him. When that is done then I will come and follow you.

There is something else this man may have been considering…his inheritance. It’s possible this man was waiting to claim an inheritance from his father. So he wasn’t just saying he wanted to wait until his father died. He was also saying – Lord I have some money coming to me and I want to secure my financial future. Once that happens, I will be ready and at that time I will come and follow you. It was a matter of priority.

Regardless of the primary reason – this man was hesitant in following Jesus. He felt there was something more important for him to do right now. He was telling Jesus I will get back to you later. Following Jesus was important but it wasn’t important enough. His priorities were out of order and Jesus recognized it.

A Matter of Urgency
“Let the dead bury their own dead.”

Now that we have some context, let’s see what else Jesus was pointing out in this man. This man not only had his priorities out of order, what he also missed was a sense of urgency. He made the false assumption that he could leave today and come back later and follow Jesus. Countless people have assumed that they could put off following Jesus until later, but later never comes. Either they get sucked up in the cares of this life or some unfortunately die before they revisit the opportunity. Following Jesus is not only a matter of priority, it is a matter of urgency.
Copied

1 Like

Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by adefitim(m): 8:36am On Jun 19, 2022
A post for Righteousness to devour
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Massdamm(m): 8:38am On Jun 19, 2022
Tabloh:
First to comment
Go and siddon mafwend
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by bestower: 8:39am On Jun 19, 2022
We all are dead people despite the fact that we are still alive, but the dead ones are dead spiritually,physically....so, the living dead ones are entitled to bury the real dead one......let the dead bury the dead ones.....so simple like that...

Peace out....
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by penearth(m): 8:39am On Jun 19, 2022
It means don't pay to much emphasis on d dead just like d way people do now. People spend life savings in burying that's what Jesus hopefully meant
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by MossLuv: 8:42am On Jun 19, 2022
Op read the whole chapter I think you will understand.
You must first know what lead to that statement before you know what it means.
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by bjayx: 8:42am On Jun 19, 2022
As of then when Jesus made that statement, sin in man was just as good man was dead in the eyes of God. Don't forget the bible said in Genesis that the day U eat of that fruit... You'll die... So man actually died. But Jesus who is the life of God as stated in John 14:6 was looking at walking corpse claiming to go bury the physically dead. But he is the life... I hope somebody understands.
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Nobody: 8:43am On Jun 19, 2022
MossLuv:
Op read the whole chapter I think you will understand.
You must first know what lead to that statement before you know what it means.
I Know but do you?

A disciple asked for permission from jesus to go bury his father And jesus christ rebuked him.
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Oceanjagaban: 8:44am On Jun 19, 2022
It means that if you die na dead body them go come bury you,what does that mean?
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by pak: 8:45am On Jun 19, 2022
ekineme:
Let the Dead Bury the Dead: A Matter of Priority
“First let me go and bury my father.”

When you think of burials today, our process is rather straightforward. A person dies and within days there is usually a funeral. Once the funeral is complete, you go to the gravesite and proceed with burying the body. This is typically done within the same day or at most the funeral is one day and the burial the next. Regardless of how it’s done, the process isn’t long and drawn out, and is completed within a short span of time.

This man’s situation was a little bit different. For starters, the man’s father wasn’t dead yet. In Jesus’ day the statement this man made had a completely different meaning than it would have today. In his article, Billy Graham explains what the man is really saying: Jesus I will follow you but first let me stay with my father, until he dies. I am not sure how long that will take but once that happens then I will bury him. When that is done then I will come and follow you.

There is something else this man may have been considering…his inheritance. It’s possible this man was waiting to claim an inheritance from his father. So he wasn’t just saying he wanted to wait until his father died. He was also saying – Lord I have some money coming to me and I want to secure my financial future. Once that happens, I will be ready and at that time I will come and follow you. It was a matter of priority.

Regardless of the primary reason – this man was hesitant in following Jesus. He felt there was something more important for him to do right now. He was telling Jesus I will get back to you later. Following Jesus was important but it wasn’t important enough. His priorities were out of order and Jesus recognized it.

A Matter of Urgency
“Let the dead bury their own dead.”

Now that we have some context, let’s see what else Jesus was pointing out in this man. This man not only had his priorities out of order, what he also missed was a sense of urgency. He made the false assumption that he could leave today and come back later and follow Jesus. Countless people have assumed that they could put off following Jesus until later, but later never comes. Either they get sucked up in the cares of this life or some unfortunately die before they revisit the opportunity. Following Jesus is not only a matter of priority, it is a matter of urgency.
Copied

I wish it was possible to push this response to the 1st page of this thread.
In depth and accurate
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by pyro62(m): 8:45am On Jun 19, 2022
Heroicvic:
I come in peace to witness this violence, not to partake in it in any form but to feed off of it. I do not support the oppressor neither do I feel for the oppressed and I will not tolerate anyone who seek peace, for violence is the only option.
On this ground will I seat and witness unrest.
So help me God✋�

grin grin mumu boy! Me I must partake in this brawl o
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by God1stson(m): 8:49am On Jun 19, 2022
ArewaNightmare:
Jesus said unto him in Matthew 8:22: “Follow me: and let the dead bury their dead.” The Spiritually dead will always bury their dead loved ones in a manner, that exhibit pride of life, which is not of god, but of the world.
Ur answer is close to it but not entirely. Now consider this 'HE IS THE God of ABRAHAM, ISAAC AND JACOB, THE GOD OF THE LIVING AND NOT OF THE DEAD' meanwhile those those he was referring to died many years ago. So to the spiritually dead he referred to as the 'Dead' but to those that are spiritually alife in Christ though they are long dead physically, they have eternal life in Christ so they are the living. So the lesson is that if we have Christ Jesus in us we have an indestructible life, which is the life of God-Zoe
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by SweetDipBenny(m): 8:50am On Jun 19, 2022
YoudeyVexme:
I have tried understanding that scripture since I was a kid, till now I still don't understand.
Does he mean the owo attack that people died in the church, living members shouldn't have buried them. But leave them there for the dead people to come bury them?

The phrase let the dead bury the dead is another way to say put your spiritual responsibilities to God before all other duties. Sometimes people use this as a way to say forget the past or what is done is done.
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Richy4(m): 8:51am On Jun 19, 2022
In my opinion, it means to have sense of total dedication...
No need for procrastination...
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Lazyreporta(m): 8:53am On Jun 19, 2022
YoudeyVexme:
I have tried understanding that scripture since I was a kid, till now I still don't understand.
Does he mean the owo attack that people died in the church, living members shouldn't have buried them. But leave them there for the dead people to come bury them?

I will try and explain to you.

In Jewish custom, there's a relationship that exists between the father and the first born son that relationship is called, "the firstborn son relationship it only exists between the father and the first born son. Not the first born daughter, or anyone else.

Now, in that relationship, the custom says, whatever the father has belong to the first born son, if not all, at least 2/3 of the properties.
However, the Jewish custom also says that for the first born son to take over his inheritance, he must be the one to bury his father when he dies. Remember, the jew bury their dead in the same day.

The prodigal son never really loved his dad, the reason why he stayed back home was because of his inheritance, he was the first born son, so it was easier for the junior one to go because by virtual of birth, he had no inheritance.
Also, the reason why Esau did didn't go after Jacob immediately was because he was a firstborn son, and if he went after him, and his father (Isaac) dies, there's no way he would be home to bury his father same day so he can take over his inheritance. That's why Esau waited till Isaac died before he went after Jacob.

Now, I believe by now you understand the Jewish custom...
That guy Jesus told to let the dead bury their dead was a firstborn son. Remember, the only reason he gave Jesus was, "let me go home and bury my father, then I will follow you".
Literally, his father wasn't dead, but he was telling Jesus that I can't follow you until my father is dead. Because if he follows Jesus and his father died, there's no way he will get home the same day to bury his father so that he can take over his inheritance. So he was telling Jesus, oga wait first, let's pray my dad dies so quickly so I can take over my money, we need it for the gospel.

When Jesus said, "let the dead bury their dead", Jesus was telling him, let other children who are dead to the first born son relationship (who by birth doesn't own it,) let them take over it. In other words, FORGO YOUR INHERITANCE AND FOLLOW ME.

That's it.. If you want more clarification, I am here
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Wilyvibes(m): 8:54am On Jun 19, 2022
It's simply means Dead man alive is crying for the dead wey kick bucket cool grin
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by truthCoder: 8:58am On Jun 19, 2022
YoudeyVexme:

I am not religious but this is simple wisdom speaking.

He is simply saying , dont put your efforts into things that don’t make you better.

He is not telling you to literally leave corpses all around the city.

The problem with religion is that it takes away your ability to reason logically by giving you assumed spiritual perspectives that you must follow.

A lot of people were giving excuses as to why they couldn’t do certain things. Burials were an important tradition during the time of Jesus and many people were giving excuses as to their need to conduct elaborate burial rites.

Let the dead bury the dead is a perspective discussion. Why spend all your money and time in doing something so elaborate for another person that gives you almost zero benefits?

The issue is still up even today. Many people go into debt just to conduct elaborate burials. This is not limited to burials alone. Weddings, family, your job, that nagging girlfriend etc

Anything that you spend a great amount of time on that returns little value in your life should be reviewed.

If you lose that job today, another person would be employed. That girlfriend would date another person within weeks if you kill yourself. And family, they mostly only spend money at your burials (ironically) and not on your business growth .

Let the dead bury the dead.

1 Like

Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by odinson1(m): 9:05am On Jun 19, 2022
Lilimax:
It literally means that you should face your own matter and do not meddle in what does not concern you.

Meanwhile Happy fathers day to every responsible fathers out there. Those that are shouldering their responsibility as the MAN of the house, loving their wives as their help meet and pointing their children to the right way.
May the Lord bless and keep.you all in Jesus name. Amen

Why is it always Happy father's day to RESPONSIBLE Father's
But Happy Mother's day to ALL Mothers?
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by sukkot: 9:08am On Jun 19, 2022
It means let those in darkness continue to keep those in darkness in darkness . In other words some people are destined to be in darkness and there are appointed people designated to keep them there for example these people in Nigeria would be Reno omokri and all our politicians and our pastorpreneurS etc . It’s another cute way of saying LET THE BLIND LEAD THE BLIND
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by GABRIEL6036: 9:10am On Jun 19, 2022
Where is Mr righteousness? Food don land ooo grin grin cool
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Gkay1(m): 9:11am On Jun 19, 2022
Gabbriell:
Here is what led to Jesus saying those words:

Luke 9:59
He (Jesus) said to another man, “Follow me.” But he replied, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.”

Then Jesus reply:
Luke 9:60
Jesus said to him, “Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim the kingdom of God.”

So what does it mean ?
The word "dead" is used twice in the sentence.

The first one refers to those who are alive but dead (spiritually). These people do not know about God or believe in God.

The second one refers to someone who is dead (physically and spiritually). That is someone who died without knowing God.

The man Jesus was talking to has already found Jesus. So he is not dead (spiritually), that is why Jesus was setting his priorities straight. Saying he should leave the dead (spiritually dead) to bury their dead (spiritually and physically dead).

God bless you

2 Likes

Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Gabbriell: 9:14am On Jun 19, 2022
Gkay1:

God bless you

And bless you too (Amen).
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Lilimax(f): 9:15am On Jun 19, 2022
odinson1:

Why is it always Happy father's day to RESPONSIBLE Father's
But Happy Mother's day to ALL Mothers?
As long as that baby stays in your womb for 9months and your brought him/her out, you are a mother. No controversy!
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Thaheer(m): 9:15am On Jun 19, 2022
I think it means leave wahala for who get am

1 Like

Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Marcelnali: 9:16am On Jun 19, 2022
In Matthew chapter 8:22 says, "follow me, and leave the dead to bury 'their' own dead. This simply means those who are spiritually dead will bury their own people who are as well spiritually dead. And those who are spiritually alive will bury their own dead who are as well spiritually alive. Remember the above statement was made when a disciple requested to be permitted to go and bury his dead father. Now the said disciple is a believer while his father is not. In the case of the those that was murdered my the terrorist in the church; they are believers while their fellow members are equally believers.
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by saintnegroid(m): 9:17am On Jun 19, 2022
Gabbriell:
Here is what led to Jesus saying those words:

Luke 9:59
He (Jesus) said to another man, “Follow me.” But he replied, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.”

Then Jesus reply:
Luke 9:60
Jesus said to him, “Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim the kingdom of God.”

So what does it mean ?
The word "dead" is used twice in the sentence.

The first one refers to those who are alive but dead (spiritually). These people do not know about God or believe in God.

The second one refers to someone who is dead (physically and spiritually). That is someone who died without knowing God.

The man Jesus was talking to has already found Jesus. So he is not dead (spiritually), that is why Jesus was setting his priorities straight. Saying he should leave the dead (spiritually dead) to bury their dead (spiritually and physically dead).
I love this... Thank you so much. This is my first time of understand this portion

Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by McStoic(m): 9:17am On Jun 19, 2022
Heroicvic:
I come in peace to witness this violence, not to partake in it in any form but to feed off of it. I do not support the oppressor neither do I feel for the oppressed and I will not tolerate anyone who seek peace, for violence is the only option.
On this ground will I seat and witness unrest.
So help me God✋�

grin
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by sinah25: 9:17am On Jun 19, 2022
This is what JESUS was trying to tell us because he speaks more of in parables.....He means, if you papa na baba alawo, and you're a child of God, meaning you've received salvation and spirituality so, let other baba alawo bury him not you because your father's faith and yours are not same..So let the same faith of your father who is a baba alawo like him bury him. Gbam. His father is spiritually dead and so let others who are spiritually dead bury him...Relatives who are spiritually dead will not help you, rather they will help in funerals.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Suleman Shakes His Church Members For Their Support During DSS Saga / I Will Die Very Soon. / Sultan’s Misguided Comments On Adamawa Clashes Increasing Tension — Dami Mamza

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.