Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,471 members, 7,816,115 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:20 AM

Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) (27113 Views)

The Religion The Is Practicing What Jesus Taught. / What Did Jesus Christ Mean When He Said "Let The Dead Bury The Dead"? / What Does Matthew 8:22 Mean By "Let The Dead Bury Their Own Dead"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by baralatie(m): 10:52am On Jun 19, 2022
Abemy:

This could not have been what Jesus meant, for these are the people he came to save. The spiritually dead, and couldn't have asked the man to leave them alone.
Fact

1 Like

Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by baralatie(m): 10:55am On Jun 19, 2022
beejaay:

It's an allegory, most religious scriptures are allegorical which make them suitable for all time.. Stop trying to interpret them literally but in the context of your ossue

Dead burying the dead can be attached to so many things for example you write and exam you put in so much effort but you eventually failed, don't waste to much time thinking on ur invested time and money on the exam cos it has already happened(dead in the past), instead look into the future and present and make another memory(the living),... Past is dead and present is living.. Don't waste time on the past, learn from it and live in the present
This is called application of the scripture to solve current realities
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Basicend: 10:55am On Jun 19, 2022
A spiritually dead will continue to engage in mundane things.

People that have not yet been redeemed by Christ are dead spiritually.

Their thoughts and actions are filled with earthly activities. Such as burial, parties, wedding etc.

Jesus is saying you that have been called to the will, agenda and activities of the kingdom of God, that should be all your purpose.

Don't ever look back, for if a man is about to plough and looks back, he is not fit for the kingdom.
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Imstrong2(m): 10:56am On Jun 19, 2022
Gabbriell:
Here is what led to Jesus saying those words:

Luke 9:59
He (Jesus) said to another man, “Follow me.” But he replied, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.”

Then Jesus reply:
Luke 9:60
Jesus said to him, “Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim the kingdom of God.”

So what does it mean ?
The word "dead" is used twice in the sentence.

The first one refers to those who are alive but dead (spiritually). These people do not know about God or believe in God.

The second one refers to someone who is dead (physically and spiritually). That is someone who died without knowing God.

The man Jesus was talking to has already found Jesus. So he is not dead (spiritually), that is why Jesus was setting his priorities straight. Saying he should leave the dead (spiritually dead) to bury their dead (spiritually and physically dead).

What do you mean by spiritually dead for an already dead person?does it mean the dead doesn't have a spirit or goes to a spirit realm or a sinner who dies you meant because I tried so hard to figure that part out
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by grandstar(m): 11:02am On Jun 19, 2022
Heroicvic:
I come in peace to witness this violence, not to partake in it in any form but to feed off of it. I do not support the oppressor neither do I feel for the oppressed and I will not tolerate anyone who seek peace, for violence is the only option.
On this ground will I seat and witness unrest.
So help me God✋�

Violence for what? When killed, can they raise you from death? You'd simply return to the dust. You could be maimed forever and forgotten by the society you fought for. You know I'm telling the truth and I am not lying.

I remember the fervor over Jonathan. Many saw him as the Messiah. This was a Doctorate holder with a gentleman's mien. He disappointed

Next was Buhari. He proclaimed
"Change" and many saw him as the savior. The past 7 years has one of the most dreadful period for the economy and country. It's like the Great Leap Forward to poverty to starvation.

We live in a world that is fast dying. Global warming is leaving devastation in its wake. Then came the Pandemic and now we have the Russian/Ukraine War. If the Arctic or the Antarctica melts which will eventually hapoen, a mass of disease will be let loose which will make the present pandemic look like child's play.

Don't die for a cause that can't Resurrect you. If you're to die, do so for God's kingdom. He promises a Resurrection. ( Read John 5:28-29, Acts 24:15). He promises a new Heaven and new Earth in which righteousness will dwell (Read 2 Peter 3:13, Rev 21:3-5)

The Bible foretold that the The good new of that kingdom will be preached globally. It is the only savior for man today. (Read Daniel 2:44, Matthew 24:14, Acts 1:8 .

To know more about God's kingdom, please visit www.jw.org and search for "God's kingdom".

Also, please apply for a free online bible study. It is the best decision you'll ever make. (Read John 17:3, Psalms 19:11)
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by baralatie(m): 11:04am On Jun 19, 2022
Imstrong2:
What do you mean by spiritually dead for an already dead person?does it mean the dead doesn't have a spirit or goes to a spirit realm or a sinner who dies you meant because I tried so hard to figure that part out
According to him this is how he puts it
Let those who are alive but are not saved go and Bury those who are not saved but have died.you that is my disciple go and preach the salvation to those who are still alive,not saved and not dead

Jesus Christ used that opportunity to teach about priorities
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Hoodyrich(m): 11:07am On Jun 19, 2022
It means don't spend much time on the dead I think so.
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by wonderr(m): 11:08am On Jun 19, 2022
It means When a dead Obi is trying to bury the dead okoros
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by baralatie(m): 11:08am On Jun 19, 2022
smiley

Well this was a fruitful bible study class on nairaland
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by dangermouse(m): 11:08am On Jun 19, 2022
EmzyT:

OP, you know the saying that it's only when you die that people will Value you right? Like, People have alot of good things to say and do for you but, YOU JUST HAVE TO DIE FIRST! grin

It simply means that: we should spend our time and energy on living people, not on dead people.
Gods way are not the ways of men.
Lay not ur treasures on earth...
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Harlomahh(m): 11:10am On Jun 19, 2022
Where is righteousness?
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Sunnypan: 11:16am On Jun 19, 2022
It simply mean leave matter for mathias.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by TheRealMalcolmX(m): 11:16am On Jun 19, 2022
bigGBOLA:
useless bible

Another terrorist......You and your entire family are noncompoops........
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by koldej(m): 11:16am On Jun 19, 2022
Gabbriell:

He (Jesus) said to another man, “Follow me.” But he replied, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.”

Then Jesus reply:
Jesus said to him, “Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim the kingdom of God.”

So what does it mean ?

The first one refers to those who are alive but dead (spiritually). These people do not know about God or believe in God.

The second one refers to someone who is dead (physically and spiritually). That is someone who died without knowing God.

The man Jesus was talking to has already found Jesus. So he is not dead (spiritually), that is why Jesus was setting his priorities straight. Saying he should leave the dead (spiritually dead) to bury their dead (spiritually and physically dead).

Perfect response!
In all...there are two types of death
1) the physical
2) the spiritual

A man can be alive physically but dead in the spirit...

Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by bdon123(m): 11:18am On Jun 19, 2022
Basiljoe:
Semi finished Bungalow For Sale, Sangotedo, Ajah.

https://www.nairaland.com/7130860/semi-finished-bungalow-sale-sangotedo
I need hacker
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by bdon123(m): 11:21am On Jun 19, 2022
Gabbriell:

Then Jesus reply:

So what does it mean ?

I disagree wit u ..u jst twisting it to make sense

Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Basiljoe: 11:22am On Jun 19, 2022
bdon123:

I need hacker
What do you want to hack?
Whatsapp that number
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Gabbriell: 11:25am On Jun 19, 2022
Imstrong2:

For a person who is spiritually dead (while) alive, he will also be spiritually dead (when he physically dies). This is because there is no repentance and forgiveness after death.

Remember John 3:16, "For God so love the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who ever believe in him should not perish but have everlasting life".

If you have found Jesus (accept him as Lord and savior), you will not die (spiritual death) but simply pass on (death of the flesh) to live an everlasting life in paradise.

For those who died without accepting Jesus, the will not inherit everlasting life. They are forever dead (spiritually) since they cannot accept Jesus after death.

Roman 6:33 "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord".

So "Spiritually" here, is not just referring to your spirit being, it is referring to your connection to Jesus Christ.
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by FaithBrain1994(m): 11:27am On Jun 19, 2022
Haemeneutics is indeed a skill. So nobody here has been able to give an interpretative meaning to the phrase? Sad! Meanwhile, Pastor Righeousness and Falseprophet una attention is needed here.
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by bdon123(m): 11:33am On Jun 19, 2022
Basiljoe:

What do you want to hack?
Whatsapp that number
For real?
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Kobojunkie: 11:36am On Jun 19, 2022
YoudeyVexme:
I have tried understanding that scripture since I was a kid, till now I still don't understand.
Does he mean the owo attack that people died in the church, living members shouldn't have buried them. But leave them there for the dead people to come bury them?
In Genesis 3 vs 19-22 , God condemned those who die as unbelievers - those dead to God's Law - to die .I.e cease to exist in the grave once the breath of life leaves there body - from dust they were made and to dust they return because they have no afterlife as a result of their unbelief. undecided

What Jesus Christ meant in that passage was to let the unbelievers bury their own dead(unbelievers). undecided
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Nobody: 11:48am On Jun 19, 2022
Jesus was just trying to imply that the works of the kingdom, is more important than burying the dead.
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by nedu2000(m): 11:52am On Jun 19, 2022
We should bury our dead, even Jesus Christ was buried but it entails we shouldn't lay much emphasis on burials(large ceremonies and finance) as well as thinking and worrying over a loved one that has passed on
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by olusegxz: 11:52am On Jun 19, 2022
This is a very deep verse in the bible. And like most verses in the bible have more than more meaning because the bible is alive it is not a book with just one unilateral dimension meaning hence why teachings differ sometimes, in most times neither is wrong or right. So application of verses are specific to what they are used for. Eg the verse seek ye first the kingdom of God. I remember in uni then we had a student who instead of reading a night to exams he will be doing all night virgil. Now that is not bad but ofcourse he failed. The scripture is alive meaning its relevance is directly attached to what it is used for. So this verse Jesus did not mean don't bury your father or don't spend time with unbelievers. It means as a Christian you need to be able to manage your time and your self, so you can do what needs to be in the physical in such a way that your spiritual walk is not affected otherwise the dead will have to bury the dead. If you do not do things at the right time then it will also affect your spiritual life. In this case the man wanted to give buring his father as an excuse to not do the work of God, the moral here is he should not replace the work of God but find a way to have done that and still do the work of God. He should have properly assessed a period to do that, that would not affect his walk with God otherwise someone else will do it, a someone else that may not exist. And this applies with other things in our lives also.
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Hassanmaye(m): 11:57am On Jun 19, 2022
Obastick:
It mean you shld be able to move on and don't focus on what has passed that can never be resuscitated.
I'm not joking this is the correct interpretation
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Zinpat: 12:13pm On Jun 19, 2022
Gabbriell:

Then Jesus reply:

So what does it mean ?

Are you then saying that when people die, only those dead spiritually should go for the burial Just asking...
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by pongwa(m): 12:17pm On Jun 19, 2022
YoudeyVexme:
I have tried understanding that scripture since I was a kid, till now I still don't understand.
Does he mean the owo attack that people died in the church, living members shouldn't have buried them. But leave them there for the dead people to come bury them?

whether spiritually dead or physically dead. All are dead, you get the point?
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Sleekfingers: 12:17pm On Jun 19, 2022
RapistOnBail:

Na format Jesus been use that year to acquire men as disciples.

cheesy cheesy grin grin
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by baralatie(m): 12:18pm On Jun 19, 2022
Zinpat:

Are you then saying that when people die, only those dead spiritually should go for the burial Just asking...
No!you can attend the burial nau! what he is saying is don't prioritize the burial of the dead over the salvation of the living
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Cloud007: 12:22pm On Jun 19, 2022
It means, let those that are not part of the Kingdom Of God be left in their dark path and should not get in the way of the living.
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by shinealight(m): 12:26pm On Jun 19, 2022
YoudeyVexme:

It means: Let those who are inwardly spiritually barren, devoid of knowledge, unenlightened or confused, continue in their arrogant foolishness to lead their equally unenlightened followers astray so that both groups may perish together in eternal damnation!
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by RussellRutherfo: 12:26pm On Jun 19, 2022
Uddeze1:
Spend your time on those that are living now and not the dead. The dead is conscious of nothing at all. Not your incessant tears, not your lavish funerals. Stop wasting time and resources. Move on. The Muslim faith understands this better.

The Muslim waste funds on Fidau prayers party too.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Suleman Shakes His Church Members For Their Support During DSS Saga / Sultan’s Misguided Comments On Adamawa Clashes Increasing Tension — Dami Mamza / Paul And Becky Enenche Celebrate 26th Wedding Anniversary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.