Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,462 members, 7,830,299 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:22 PM

Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) (27165 Views)

The Religion The Is Practicing What Jesus Taught. / What Did Jesus Christ Mean When He Said "Let The Dead Bury The Dead"? / What Does Matthew 8:22 Mean By "Let The Dead Bury Their Own Dead"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by jydmak(m): 4:25pm On Jun 19, 2022
Jesus said, “Let the dead bury their dead.” Does this mean that we as Christians should not be taking up time attending funerals?—L. S., Germany.

The record at Matthew 8:21, 22 (NW) is: “Then another of the disciples said to him: ‘Master, permit me first to leave and bury my father.’ Jesus said to him: ‘Keep following me, and let the dead bury their dead.’” These words do not militate against anyone’s attending a funeral. The man here addressed had said to Jesus that he wanted to go and bury his father, but that did not mean that the man’s father was dead already, for if his father had been dead at the moment the man would have been there at the bier and not listening to Jesus. But the man meant that his father was old and sooner or later would die; and so the man wanted to postpone following Jesus until after he had taken care of his father until death and could receive his father’s dying blessing and then fulfill his father’s wish to have his son at the deathbed close his eyes piously after death ensued. This would have delayed the man’s following Jesus indefinitely and hence Jesus said to let the dead bury their dead. The man’s relatives were evidently not following Jesus on the way to life and hence were dead spiritually and could be left to bury the man’s father when he died. But when dedicated Christians today who are on the way of life and out from under the world’s condemnation have a death in the family and have a funeral, can you rightfully say that here is a case of the “dead” (spiritually) burying the dead? No. The man in the Biblical case wanted to go home to bury his father and not to give a witness by a funeral sermon.
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by ElGran: 4:32pm On Jun 19, 2022
It simply implies according to scripture that even those burying the dead will die someday which is a perfect meaning for "death is inevitable"

YoudeyVexme:
I have tried understanding that scripture since I was a kid, till now I still don't understand.
Does he mean the owo attack that people died in the church, living members shouldn't have buried them. But leave them there for the dead people to come bury them?

Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by feyi4jel(m): 4:41pm On Jun 19, 2022
Dying is relative.

When we mourn, when we lose lived ones...a part of us dies with the person.

I think it means let those who mourn, mourn in peace
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by salvation77177: 4:52pm On Jun 19, 2022
[quote author=EmzyT post=113944736]

OP, you know the saying that it's only when you die that people will Value you right? Like, People have alot of good things to say and do for you but, YOU JUST HAVE TO DIE FIRST! grin

It simply means that: [b]we should spend our time and energy on living people, not on dead people.�
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by josh4croft(m): 5:03pm On Jun 19, 2022
Kobojunkie:
1. Your claim there contradicts what is written of man not being eternal from creation right there in Genesis 3 vs 19 - 22. undecided

2. Are jews who don't believe in Jesus Christ also dead? undecided

Genesis 3:19-22 that you quote, is after man has been cursed by God. This was the beginning of death in man.

In Genesis 1:26-27, God created man in His Image and man was a living soul. God is eternal. This means man ought to have been eternal too, if not for the sin of Adam.
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Kobojunkie: 5:10pm On Jun 19, 2022
josh4croft:
1. Genesis 3:19-22 that you quote, is after man has been cursed by God. This was the beginning of death in man.

In Genesis 1:26-27, God created man in His Image and man was a living soul. God is eternal. This means man ought to have been eternal too, if not for the sin of Adam.
1. You should probably take time to read what is detailed in Genesis 3 vs 19-22 as it explains that man was never created eternal from his creation. undecided

2. God didn't create man an eternal being. This is explained in Genesis 2 vs 7 where it is instead indicated that man was created, complete,from the physical elements of this world. In Genesis 3 vs 19 - 22, this truth is reiterated when God confirms that since man did not eat of the Tree of Life, He had no eternity to him. undecided
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by josh4croft(m): 5:33pm On Jun 19, 2022
Kobojunkie:
1. You should probably take time to read what is detailed in Genesis 3 vs 19-22 as it explains that man was never created eternal from his creation. undecided

2. God didn't create man an eternal being. This is explained in Genesis 2 vs 7 where it is instead indicated that man was created, complete,from the physical elements of this world. In Genesis 3 vs 19 - 22, this truth is reiterated when God confirms that since man did not eat of the Tree of Life, He had no eternity to him. undecided

You are getting everything mixed-up. I once prayed that what I am about to explain should be received with the humility of heart.

You seem not to understand that all these verses you quoted is after the fall of man, especially Genesis 3:19-23.

According to Genesis 2:7, man is a living soul. Meaning, man ought to live forever like God. However, man died when he sinned and was taken out of the garden (the presence of God).

This is the truth!
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Kobojunkie: 5:41pm On Jun 19, 2022
josh4croft:
1. You seem not to understand that all these verses you quoted is after the fall of man, especially Genesis 3:19-23.

2. According to Genesis 2:7, man is a living soul. Meaning, man ought to live forever like God. However, man died when he sinned and was taken out of the garden (the presence of God).

This is the truth!
1. Are you insinuating that Adam and Eve ate from the Tree of Life before the fall? undecided

2. I think you should go back and re-read Genesis 2 vs 7 again. It explains how man, in his entirety, was first made from the physical elements of this world. This before God then breathed life into man. Nothing about man being a living soul suggested anywhere in that verse. undecided
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by GoodIsGod: 5:56pm On Jun 19, 2022
What Jesus meant was that everyone who do not follow His teachings are dead though they are alive.
If you remember what brought this statement. The young guy wanted to follow Jesus but he asked for permission to go and bury his family member that died first. The person that died did not know Jesus and the rest of the people at home didn't know him too. Therefore Jesus likened the family members who are not his followers as dead people because if they died in their sins there is no hope of eternal life for them. Therefore they are as dead as the dead man.

"Let the dead ( the sinners) who want to bury the dead ( a sinner) bury the dead ( the sinner)"

This brings us to the saying of Jesus that says "He that believes in me, though he died will live again" this means a dead in Christ is a living because he has hope for eternity.
This means also that:
He without Christ though he lives, is a dead man. Like those who want to go and bury the sinner that died.

Let the sinners bury the sinner.
Let the dead bury the dead.
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by GoodIsGod: 5:56pm On Jun 19, 2022
YoudeyVexme:
I have tried understanding that scripture since I was a kid, till now I still don't understand.
Does he mean the owo attack that people died in the church, living members shouldn't have buried them. But leave them there for the dead people to come bury them?

What Jesus meant was that everyone who do not follow His teachings are dead though they are alive.
If you remember what brought this statement. The young guy wanted to follow Jesus but he asked for permission to go and bury his family member that died first. The person that died did not know Jesus and the rest of the people at home didn't know him too. Therefore Jesus likened the family members who are not his followers as dead people because if they died in their sins there is no hope of eternal life for them. Therefore they are as dead as the dead man.

"Let the dead ( the sinners) who want to bury the dead ( a sinner) bury the dead ( the sinner)"

This brings us to the saying of Jesus that says "He that believes in me, though he died will live again" this means a dead in Christ is a living because he has hope for eternity.
This means also that:
He without Christ though he lives, is a dead man. Like those who want to go and bury the sinner that died.

Let the sinners bury the sinner.
Let the dead bury the dead.
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by GoodIsGod: 6:09pm On Jun 19, 2022
jydmak:
Jesus said, “Let the dead bury their dead.” Does this mean that we as Christians should not be taking up time attending funerals?—L. S., Germany.

The record at Matthew 8:21, 22 (NW) is: “Then another of the disciples said to him: ‘Master, permit me first to leave and bury my father.’ Jesus said to him: ‘Keep following me, and let the dead bury their dead.’” These words do not militate against anyone’s attending a funeral. The man here addressed had said to Jesus that he wanted to go and bury his father, but that did not mean that the man’s father was dead already, for if his father had been dead at the moment the man would have been there at the bier and not listening to Jesus. But the man meant that his father was old and sooner or later would die; and so the man wanted to postpone following Jesus until after he had taken care of his father until death and could receive his father’s dying blessing and then fulfill his father’s wish to have his son at the deathbed close his eyes piously after death ensued. This would have delayed the man’s following Jesus indefinitely and hence Jesus said to let the dead bury their dead. The man’s relatives were evidently not following Jesus on the way to life and hence were dead spiritually and could be left to bury the man’s father when he died. But when dedicated Christians today who are on the way of life and out from under the world’s condemnation have a death in the family and have a funeral, can you rightfully say that here is a case of the “dead” (spiritually) burying the dead? No. The man in the Biblical case wanted to go home to bury his father and not to give a witness by a funeral sermon.

You got it.

Those at home who were not following Christ were regarded as dead because if they die there is no hope not eternity. So they are as good as the dead who died in his sin.
So let them bury their dead.
They and the dead man are dead.
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Molenu100(m): 6:14pm On Jun 19, 2022
That verse in (Luke 9:59-60) where Jesus made such statement is very simple for those who understands Jesus's way of explaining spiritual truth to the people of His day.
The message Jesus was trying to pass across to the MAN whom Jesus bid to follow him was that, the only thing that matters in this life and the most important thing every man should chase after on earth is (God) through the Lord Jesus Christ. See John 14:6

Jesus was trying to tell the MAN who says he wants to go and bury his father not to be encumbered with the affairs of this world but rather to lay hold of that which is eternal. See Matthew 6:25-33.
Remember, Jesus asked the man to follow him and the man came up with excuses like most of us do today when it comes to the things of God.
So the term "let the dead bury their dead" used by Jesus Christ mean that, those who care too much about the affairs of this world are actually dead spiritually.
Although, it has broader meaning and application but I just hope I have given some insight into what Jesus meant and how it refers to most of us today.
Thanks
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by josh4croft(m): 7:27pm On Jun 19, 2022
Kobojunkie:
1. Are you insinuating that Adam and Eve ate from the Tree of Life before the fall? undecided

2. I think you should go back and re-read Genesis 2 vs 7 again. It explains how man, in his entirety, was first made from the physical elements of this world. This before God then breathed life into man. Nothing about man being a living soul suggested anywhere in that verse. undecided

We are almost deviating from the topic here. Like I said, the man God created originally is eternal like Him and doesn't need eat the tree of life to live forever. All Adam needed to do was to live in obedience to God alone and he would live forever.

Remember, it was after Adam had eaten from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil that God had to send man out of the garden, lest he will also eat from the tree of life and live forever knowing good and evil. Before this, Adam need not to eat from the tree of life to live forever. Adam was on default eternal life from creation.

REMEMBER! THE BIBLE IS NOT LITERATURE BOOK THAT YOU READ LITERALLY.

This is the true meaning of that verse and it's a simple but yet deeper revelation.

That's all for this topic now. I rest my case.
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Kobojunkie: 7:34pm On Jun 19, 2022
josh4croft:
1. We are almost deviating from the topic here. Like I said, the man God created originally is eternal like Him and doesn't need eat the tree of life to live forever. All Adam needed to do was to live in obedience to God alone and he would live forever.

2a. Remember, it was after Adam had eaten from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil that God had to send man out of the garden, lest he will also eat from the tree of life and live forever knowing good and evil.

2b. Before this, Adam need not to eat from the tree of life to live forever. Adam was on default eternal life from creation.

3. REMEMBER! THE BIBLE IS NOT LITERATURE BOOK THAT YOU READ LITERALLY.This is the true meaning of that verse and it's a simple but yet deeper revelation.
That's all for this topic now. I rest my case.
1. This claim of yours does not align with what is written of scripture which instead suggests man was never created eternal being from his birth. undecided

2a. So what you are insinuating is the tree of Eternal Life served no real purpose by being in the garden? undecided

2b. What scriptural backing do you have for this claim of yours? undecided

3. So rather than accept what is written, we instead conjure up and accept that likely contradicts what is written? undecided
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by showafrica(m): 7:57pm On Jun 19, 2022
Gabbriell:
Here is what led to Jesus saying those words:

Luke 9:59
He (Jesus) said to another man, “Follow me.” But he replied, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.”

Then Jesus reply:
Luke 9:60
Jesus said to him, “Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim the kingdom of God.”

So what does it mean ?
The word "dead" is used twice in the sentence.

The first one refers to those who are alive but dead (spiritually). These people do not know about God or believe in God.

The second one refers to someone who is dead (physically and spiritually). That is someone who died without knowing God.

The man Jesus was talking to has already found Jesus. So he is not dead (spiritually), that is why Jesus was setting his priorities straight. Saying he should leave the dead (spiritually dead) to bury their dead (spiritually and physically dead).

Bro na you twist this thing oo, you may be right though but why Jesus no talk am in plain terms. Now see the vawuleence he is causing... Why deciple no ask am waiting he mean?

Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by spicebiva(f): 8:19pm On Jun 19, 2022
[quote author=Gabbriell post=113944732]Here is what led to Jesus saying those words:

He (Jesus) said to another man, “Follow me.” But he replied, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.”

Then Jesus reply:
Jesus said to him, “Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim the kingdom of God.”

So what does it mean ?

The first one refers to those who are alive but dead (spiritually). These people do not know about God or believe in God.

The second one refers to someone who is dead (physically and spiritually). That is someone who died without knowing God.

The man Jesus was talking to has already found Jesus. So he is not dead (spiritually), that is why Jesus was setting his priorities straight. Saying he should leave the dead (spiritually dead) to bury their dead (spiritually and physically dead).

Very understanding
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Mozhac(m): 8:35pm On Jun 19, 2022
A canal man cannot understand the things of the spirit. Jesus speech is always in parable. Who are the dead in the context? they are sinners. Is not the dead that you know.

YoudeyVexme:

Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Kobojunkie: 8:40pm On Jun 19, 2022
Mozhac:
A canal man cannot understand the things of the spirit. Jesus speech is always in parable. Who are the dead in the context? they are sinners. Is not the dead that you know.
That is actually a lie! undecided

The dead aren't sinners this since Jesus Christ came to call the sinners to salvation - Luke 5 vs 27 - 32 and Mark 2 vs 17 undecided
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Tigson: 8:42pm On Jun 19, 2022
JesusJ simly meant let d spiritually dead (unregenerate, alienated from Christ) bury dir physically dead body.
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Harrykn: 9:10pm On Jun 19, 2022
Gabbriell:

Then Jesus reply:

So what does it mean ?

Nah this kind pastor suppose get members. Where Righteousness01?

1 Like

Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by josh4croft(m): 9:46pm On Jun 19, 2022
Kobojunkie:
1. This claim of yours does not align with what is written of scripture which instead suggests man was never created eternal being from his birth. undecided

2a. So what you are insinuating is the tree of Eternal Life served no real purpose by being in the garden? undecided

2b. What scriptural backing do you have for this claim of yours? undecided

3. So rather than accept what is written, we instead conjure up and accept that likely contradicts what is written? undecided

Genesis 1:26
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. Please, what do you understand by the statement 'after our likeness'? God's like (form/kind) is eternal if you must know this and this is the pattern He created man originally.

Romans 5:12‭-‬21

Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned: (for until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law. Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come. But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many. And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification. For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.) Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life. For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous. Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound: that as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord. WITHOUT SIN THERE WAS NO DEATH.

TAKE THIS FACT FROM ME. FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK TO KNOW THE TRUE WORD OF GOD.

https://www.facebook.com/joshua.ingbaifegha
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by TAYO124: 9:50pm On Jun 19, 2022
The dead are those who are in a state of disconnection in their relationship with God. This is the context Of Jesus speech.
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Skmoda360(m): 10:10pm On Jun 19, 2022
YoudeyVexme:

It implies that you gonna die one day and so dead(living at the moment) gotta bury the dead because you gonna die one day....so baba view it from this point.lobatan.
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by jaxxy(m): 11:02pm On Jun 19, 2022
YoudeyVexme:

RapistOnBail:

Na format Jesus been use that year to acquire men as disciples.

Metaphorically it means in christ we do not die bt live. Only the dead burys the dead. Those who live don't see those who pass on as dead bt rather alive with Christ.

when lazarus died his sisters Mary abd Martha told Jesus ur friend lazarus is dead and Jesus said No he is "not" he only sleeps and that he will rise again...

For he who believes in him should not die/perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16.
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Kobojunkie: 11:26pm On Jun 19, 2022
josh4croft:
1.. Please, what do you understand by the statement 'after our likeness'? God's like (form/kind) is eternal if you must know this and this is the pattern He created man originally.

2. WITHOUT SIN THERE WAS NO DEATH. .
1. A picture of me is an image that a likeness of me. The image created is of me but it is not me, since I am still me, but just a likeness of me. In much the same way, man was made in the image of God means man is a likeness of God. It doesn't directly translate to eternal life, omnipotence, omniscience etc. Instead it simply means a likeness of God. undecided

2. Read Genesis 2 vs 7 - 24 & Genesis 3 vs 19 - 22 again. God created man from the physical elements of this world, and then God gave Man two choices; eternal Life or death . Man chose death, thus forcing God to remove eternal Life from the table. undecided
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by 43Ronin: 11:39pm On Jun 19, 2022
Means who don die, don die no time for am
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by BluntCrazeMan: 6:46am On Jun 20, 2022
Gabbriell:

Then Jesus reply:

So what does it mean ?

Wait..!!
So, the man’s father is both spiritually and physically dead??
And his son shouldn't bury his dead father??
But outsiders (who are physically alive but spiritually dead) should come in and bury his father for him?
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by BluntCrazeMan: 6:58am On Jun 20, 2022
YoudeyVexme:

Let me give you an example.
A certain hunter (not so young - approaching 60) was asked why he stopped being a Christian, being that he was so active in his youth as a Christian.. He didn't put much of his money, but he put in much of physical strength and gave lots of fresh bush meat to the priests for free..
Guess his response??
His parents died when he was a young man, and the church didn't give him any assistance to do the funeral rites as it is supposed.
So, he stopped attending church.
And that whenever he gets money and do the complete funeral rites, he can then go back and continue church from where he stopped.
When asked what the rites entailed,, he said- one cow for the father, and two cows for the mother being that the mother is an ADA (First-born daughter in her father's compound) then two goats..
And at least, two bags of rice for the entertainment on the two occasions.
But these are traditional rites naa.
Why did he expect the church to give him money to fulfill traditional rites??
This happened more than 20 years ago ooo.
This is a typical case of “Leave the dead ones alone”.
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by josh4croft(m): 7:05am On Jun 20, 2022
Kobojunkie:
1. A picture of me is an image that a likeness of me. The image created is of me but it is not me, since I am still me, but just a likeness of me. In much the same way, man was made in the image of God means man is a likeness of God. It doesn't directly translate to eternal life, omnipotence, omniscience etc. Instead it simply means a likeness of God. undecided

2. Read Genesis 2 vs 7 - 24 & Genesis 3 vs 19 - 22 again. God created man from the physical elements of this world, and then God gave Man two choices; eternal Life or death . Man chose death, thus forcing God to remove eternal Life from the table. undecided

Believe what you believe. I have tried my best to make you understand the truth but you seem adamant. How be it if I show you more things? BYE BYE�
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by Franky9584(m): 8:50am On Jun 20, 2022
The literal meaning is..."we shouldn't dwell in the pass" ...Instead we should always focus and look up to God at all time.

It doesn't mean we should bury the death
Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by ICEWIN: 9:00am On Jun 20, 2022
Gabbriell:

Then Jesus reply:

So what does it mean ?

your explanation is not related at all.
please don't confuse us,you are wrong.

Re: Let The Dead Bury The Dead (What Jesus Actually Meant?) by ICEWIN: 9:00am On Jun 20, 2022
Gabbriell:

Then Jesus reply:

So what does it mean ?

your explanation is wrong.
your are ignorance if what Jesus meant by that.
is not a riddle.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Youths Sack Catholic Priest In Imo State Community. Photos / Daddy Freeze: Stop Giving Winners And Redeemed Church Members Financial Aids / What You Must Do Before Getting Married

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.