Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,704 members, 7,816,883 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:21 PM

Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? (43431 Views)

10 Things To Know Before Moving Abroad For Study - Nairalander Reveals. Photos / My Family Is Discouraging Me From Moving To UK / Dropping Refuse From Moving Vehicles Attracts N5000 Fine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by lexy2014: 2:35pm On Jul 15, 2022
sukkot:
only one man in nigeria made all that amount last year. dangote . 20 billion dollars

That's good. But am not asking about dangote
Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by Jaqenhghar: 2:35pm On Jul 15, 2022
krissconnect:
These past weeks, I've been reaching out to my friends who are abroad to help me with links or advices to move abroad too. But I discovered that none of them decided to help, instead they discouraged me either by saying, "it's difficult to move now or the country isn't issuing visa now".

One of my guy in CANADA defiantly ignored my text when I asked him for links or the route he used to move, the other in Korea said the country isn't issuing visa now but he recently moved back and another directly said that it's very hard to get visas now to travel. But one Asian American in the States gave me lots of links to move to the State and even encouraged me to move.

But then I don't understand why our African brothers over there will never encourage or advice someone willing to move. Is it envy or greediness or what? I've never had any of my guy abroad encourage me to move when I asked for advice. If things are difficult over there, why not come home?

NB: I never asked them for fund cos the money is available.
You no know the website to these countries' immigration services ne?
A simple google search will give you everything you need .
Since you have the money I will also suggest you hire an immigration lawyer or consultant .

2 Likes

Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by Fiscus105(m): 2:35pm On Jul 15, 2022
ednut1:
bank manager didn’t relocate legally hence the sweeping job. If she has papers they would have at least given her banking officer job somewhere in the country

And u think, it's easy like that to relocate legally?
Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by MarketDispatch: 2:36pm On Jul 15, 2022
krissconnect:
These past weeks, I've been reaching out to my friends who are abroad to help me with links or advices to move abroad

Dunno why, but some feedback stories from people I met was that some people come over and cause trouble for the guy abroad.

Example one guy brought his cousin to assist him in his business abroad, the cousin after a while ended up reporting the guy to immigration that he was being enslaved, all in a bid to be allowed to stay back in the country without recourse to the person that assisted him to come abroad

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by rickleye: 2:36pm On Jul 15, 2022
DannyFX2638:
this is where the problem is .
Most people refuse to come back not because of they don't want to , They are afraid of how the society will see them ..

Imagine telling your guys that you are going to Canada then after some months , You come empty handed .. haaa .. You reason am nahh..

Ordinary your village you day go , u go buy full bag.. Make them no go see you as failure , How much more Overseas?

They don't have anything to come back to.
They have a different mindset than home now.
They believe things will get better - which will than going back home which things are progressive disintegrating .
They can marry a foreigner in which things after a while will become a lot better.
Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by jojothaiv(m): 2:36pm On Jul 15, 2022
okeysoninv:
ask them to come back, they will abruptly refuse
grin

No mind them, but bia OP, you need to search travel thread here o, info many here wey go help you, as your guys no wan make you show face na.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by GogetterMD(m): 2:37pm On Jul 15, 2022
ednut1:
bank manager didn’t relocate legally hence the sweeping job. If she has papers they would have at least given her banking officer job somewhere in the country
Given her? They don't "give" jobs. It's tough for an immigrant (even a legal one) to get skilled jobs in the first two years of relocating
Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by sukkot: 2:37pm On Jul 15, 2022
lexy2014:

That's good. But am not asking about dangote
am saying it took millons of people in diaspora to send to nigeria what one man casually made in naiija without leaving the country

Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by SeriouslySense(m): 2:37pm On Jul 15, 2022
smiley smiley
blasterman:

Most of the ppl living abroad face alot of mental totture they wont wish on their worst enemy.

The money the system gives you they collect it back in form of bills taxes etc

You left with little to nothing.

The feeling of being a 2nd class citizen even with passport and all

Most ppl abroad will return back if Nigeria was in a good shape and they have crossed a point of no return.

But ppl wey never go no go understand
Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by AnthonyAk(m): 2:38pm On Jul 15, 2022
SeriouslySense:
Living abroad is not easy, you need to be highly skilled, people need to be cooperative, very calm and organized, Indians and other nationalities, help each other with information, they create business and employ Indians, they share houses and house rent, they have the ability to live without conflicts. Not Nigerians, it will be one drama or another, and its not living with a Nigerian with mental problems.

Indians have the ability to also help each other in skills and education they are very cooperative and calm to each other, not Nigerians.

Indians will help themselves in school research, in work skills, and discovery, they cooperate and share task and help each other out, although they are becoming more western and are beginning to prefer living as an individual.

Indians build themselves up they move with grace and they are everywhere, they are now becoming majority in Canada too. The major companies have Indians at the top.

And times have changed, the opportunities abroad is becoming less the worlds economy is not smiling, So its better to build our Nation.

False , most Indians (and asians) here are lazy, gangsters or into drugs in fact the good ones are the ones that are fresh off the boat like us. They suffer from the Canadian condition

I used to think the same thing about them and Asians until I became lab partners with a group of them these fuckers did nothing the entire semester it was only because I went to speak to the professor and even then he was very laid back. Any other class str8 F or incomplete without a project

3 Likes

Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by aragonchuks(m): 2:38pm On Jul 15, 2022
Memeni:
Because Africans and in particular Nigerians are greedy, wicked, and stingy and filled with jealousy. The heart of Nigerians are desperately wicked to their fellow Africans that's why you hear them saying "don't come to America or Canada because it's snowy, it's cold" and all manner of gibberish but they themselves will never switch places with you if you present them with that choice or help others to migrate from the gutter to a civilized society. Rubbish
No one owes you a damn thing on earth , quit your entitlement mentality , you sef come this world alone too like them

5 Likes

Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by casualobserver: 2:39pm On Jul 15, 2022
lexy2014:

What percentage of the $19.2b does drugs and fraud contribute?

I have no idea but all the drug dealers, fraudsters and yahoo boys in Nigeria manage to get their money into Nigeria somehow. There is a reason BDC operators like Mompha are under watch by EFCC. If you consider how many yahoo boys are in Nigeria right now, they all need their money in Nigeria. So my guess is that it is at the very least half… likely much more!

1 Like

Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by Benwems(m): 2:39pm On Jul 15, 2022
TiredHuman:
If they come back, they know they will be asked unwanted and uncomfortable questions. I know of a bank manager who sold her properties to travel overseas. When she got there, the only job she was offered was to sweep the roads. She couldn't come back because of the amount of ridicule she would face here

there's nothing like only job she was offered was to sweep the road. there's always delivery jobs and restuarant jobs. you people should stop lying or exaggerating things

4 Likes

Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by jojothaiv(m): 2:39pm On Jul 15, 2022
krissconnect:

Sorry, I'm not in lagos
I like this OP
Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by lexy2014: 2:39pm On Jul 15, 2022
sukkot:
am saying it took millons of people in diaspora to send to nigeria what one man casually made in naiija without leaving the country

Thats good but am not interested in that. Tnx
Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by airsaylongcome: 2:39pm On Jul 15, 2022
okeysoninv:
pure. lie, which country

Lol! Road sweepers probably earn minimum wage abroad. You think $2k to $3k per month is big money living abroad?

5 Likes

Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by Jaqenhghar: 2:40pm On Jul 15, 2022
ednut1:
BS. That you are a bank manager in Niggeria doesnt mean they will just open doors for you over there. Banking is different in the different countries. You cant apply what you do in naija to what obtains there. You will have to reorient yourself to what they do there.
And the job of the cleaner there does not mean you have to do it forever. In fact some cleaners in those countries live a better standard of living than some of you. I have seen cleaners here you travel to Spain and Greece on holidays and they live very comfortable lives

3 Likes

Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by Yankee101: 2:41pm On Jul 15, 2022
1. Which country do you want to move to?
2. What skills do you have or want to acquire?
3. What's your budget?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by Watinhapen(m): 2:42pm On Jul 15, 2022
@ Poster, most people may not want to help you for various reasons. From personal experience, the most common reason why people don’t want to give you link is that they don’t want you to waste your money or find life more difficult when you get there.

Let me tell you a little personal experience.

I schooled in one of the very commonly talked about country (Malaysia). When I wanted to go there, it was painted as a country filled with milk and honey. Sadly people still believe that Malaysia is a country filled with milk and honey till today. Nobody will tell you the sad truth about the country. I got to experience the harsh realities of that country when I was there. There are many drawbacks about that country that people don’t talk about. Only a good friend or family member over there will tell you the truth. You can be in that country for years and not still find your feet. I won’t allow my enemy to go to that country talk less of my friend or family member.

Most countries are suffering right now. No one will tell you unless your good friends or family members. You can only succeed in most countries if you already have an established person over there. While you’re eager to travel out, make sure you know exactly what you’re going to do there and make detailed findings about the country first so that you don’t experience suffering that is far worse than Nigeria.

10 Likes

Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by MrDoGood(m): 2:42pm On Jul 15, 2022
Know this and know peace.

Your close friends and relatives will always discourage you. A stranger will tell you everything to look out for.

My step younger brother is in the USA. We're not that close. But he was straight with me.

He said "Bros Nigeria is 100yrs and more behind. If you're doing the your job over here, after rent and all, you would still have over a million left for savings. And if you're doing overtime and perhaps side jobs, you're good.
Food delivery and Uber makes cool money"

So, don't let anybody lie to you

8 Likes

Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by RPG2020(m): 2:44pm On Jul 15, 2022
After voting buhari you are looking for a place to run to abi?
Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by zedman1(m): 2:44pm On Jul 15, 2022
Originalsly:

Good!... this is what you should be telling me! .... I know a lot of people that left village and did very well in Lagos .... [s] and I know even more that be sufferingin Lagos ... and ones that be living like strays under bridge and in unfinished/houses [/s] . I'm on my way! Ehmmm.... can I rest by you?... only for a few days. We should help each other .... you never know what will be your situation tomorrow. grin
Sharp guy, I knew the point you were trying to make all along. I hope those guys quoting you get it too.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by faceland: 2:44pm On Jul 15, 2022
Originalsly:
@ OP.... if you live in Lagos.... what advice would you give someone who is doing pretty good in the village but wants to sell out and move to Lagos? .... someone who has never been to Lagos before?

I would tell them not to sell anything but to come and visit for a weekend, if they like the vibe, they can plan to move. I personally hate Lagos gra-gra but my sibling love the place.

1 Like

Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by LOVEGINO(m): 2:44pm On Jul 15, 2022
krissconnect:
These past weeks, I've been reaching out to my friends who are abroad to help me with links or advices to move abroad too. But I discovered that none of them decided to help, instead they discouraged me either by saying, "it's difficult to move now or the country isn't issuing visa now".

One of my guy in CANADA defiantly ignored my text when I asked him for links or the route he used to move, the other in Korea said the country isn't issuing visa now but he recently moved back and another directly said that it's very hard to get visas now to travel. But one Asian American in the States gave me lots of links to move to the State and even encouraged me to move.

But then I don't understand why our African brothers over there will never encourage or advice someone willing to move. Is it envy or greediness or what? I've never had any of my guy abroad encourage me to move when I asked for advice. If things are difficult over there, why not come home?

I know my friends and my friends know me.
Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by sukkot: 2:44pm On Jul 15, 2022
lexy2014:

Thats good but am not interested in that. Tnx
what are you interested in then

Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by Asour: 2:45pm On Jul 15, 2022
TiredHuman:
If they come back, they know they will be asked unwanted and uncomfortable questions. I know of a bank manager who sold her properties to travel overseas. When she got there, the only job she was offered was to sweep the roads. She couldn't come back because of the amount of ridicule she would face here

In your BM's case she contributed to the level of potential ridicule by telling you/people her travails there. She shouldn't have.
Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by AnthonyAk(m): 2:46pm On Jul 15, 2022
Jaqenhghar:

BS. That you are a bank manager in Niggeria doesnt mean they will just open doors for you over there. Banking is different in the different countries. You cant apply what you do in naija to what obtains there. You will have to reorient yourself to what they do there.
And the job of the cleaner there does not mean you have to do it forever. In fact some cleaners in those countries live a better standard of living than some of you. I have seen cleaners here you travel to Spain and Greece on holidays and they live very comfortable lives

My senior in school was working at Gt bank , she is a senior vice president at Bank of America today. Here is her linkedin

2 Likes

Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by MyAmericandream(f): 2:46pm On Jul 15, 2022
krissconnect:

I understand all these but I'm not asking to come live with them. And they didn't tell me that the living situation out there is difficult, they straight up either told me the country is not issuing visa rn or that they have no link for me to come over. It clearly shows they don't want you to come, kind of depicts jealousy

Are you financially buoyant? If you’re not, perhaps they’re scared they might be takings full responsibility of your traveling expenses. If you eventually get the visa you might be a burden to them.

Just like a friend of mine telling yesterday that I should link him, but he doesn’t have the financial capacity to start the process.
Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by Ukwunu: 2:46pm On Jul 15, 2022
Use that Money to start business in Nigeria ...And Thank Me later, Abroad is not Easy Now Especially We Africans(We regarded third class everywhere)Now they prefer Ukraine Refuge,Ukraine Refugees Taking the little work we use to Manage.......Stay Home Water where Ur are?
jesmond3945:
because they dont want you to come and share jobs with them or become a burden to them. Thats the problem with Nigerian community in abroad. Look at the uk skilled thread, they dont even give people links when they land a job.

1 Like

Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by DARLINGTON869(m): 2:46pm On Jul 15, 2022
Tax and bills don show Dem shege

T O DARLING

Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by Fiscus105(m): 2:48pm On Jul 15, 2022
JohnBullMySon:
Everyone spoke from their perspective. Lemme be honest with you, the Nigerian guys do not hate you. They just know that over 90% of Nigerians who spend money trying to figure out ways to leave Nigeria will get denied.

The Asian American obviously is from one of those countries that are even encouraged to emigrate. People from Europe and First world Asia find it easy as hell. The guy simply assuming it would be a walkover because it was for him. He probably has a good job as well thus it's easy for him to tell you to move. The Nigerians who are not finding it easy are many so very few will tell you fantasies.

Just like baba ijebu, over 100 people will loose money why just 2 who win, their voices will be louder and carry the news to every coner of the town.

Out of 1000 that putting in to go abroad, 900 will be denied after wasting their hard earned money, and of 100 that escape, less than 10 will be able to stand on their feet over there.

If that 9 succeed, sending goodies back home, the noises will cover entire 1000 that started the process

5 Likes

Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by vickertony(m): 2:48pm On Jul 15, 2022
TiredHuman:
You lots lie a lot on this forum. I put it to you that you don't know any bank manager that sweeps the streets. Liar angry
How can a bank manager with all her qualifications and years of experience sweep streets abroad? You think everyone on this forum is a kid or stupid right undecided

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Tipper Crushes Man To Death In Cameroon (Graphic Photos) / South African Student Missed The Russian Plane Which Crashed With No Survivor / Aero Contractors Passengers Taking Refuge Under The Aircraft In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.