Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,617 members, 7,823,702 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:36 PM

If Your Wife-To-Be Can't Cook - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / If Your Wife-To-Be Can't Cook (12358 Views)

Jamos Can't Cook. / Yoruba Girls Can't Cook / ~Are There Really Women Who Can't Cook . . .?~ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If Your Wife-To-Be Can't Cook by tope2000(f): 2:13am On Jan 06, 2009
I guess u teach her undecided
Re: If Your Wife-To-Be Can't Cook by JJYOU: 2:24am On Jan 06, 2009
ChinenyeN:

Does that change anything? I'm sure there are women in this world that have all the important qualities I'm looking for (including that she can cook as good, if not better than me). Just because the world is changing doesn't mean that I have to change with something as minute as cooking. It shouldn't even be an issue. She just has to know how to cook [and well] like my mother. Come to think of it, I may even put up a formal request to her and her parents, asking her to live with my mother for some time before we marry. . .   smiley That way she can incorporate her and my family's cooking style into her own style of cooking that will be superb.  cool As I said before, I won't marry that wife-to-be, if she cannot cook and isn't willing to learn how. If she is willing to learn how, then there will be no problem. If not, then I will find someone else.

good on you sir.  my lady is a cant cook wont cook person. she does her tea that is about it. my dear mum whom i tot would have encouraged her when they met just said she is good.      shame she was not born to cook. mind you mum was in her 60s from a different generation that should have been up in arms saying no she must cook.  

personally, i think she is a great person. everyone who comes across her have that opinion of her.  i wont change anything about her cook or no cook. don't pity me cos we never starve or go hungry. she makes sure there is always food in the house. i think she was born for greater things in life than cooking that is okay with me.  we don't have to waste or reduce a persons life to their ability to cook
Re: If Your Wife-To-Be Can't Cook by KarmaMod(f): 2:27am On Jan 06, 2009
Im quite surprised, JJYOU. A whole Naija man like you marrying a woman that doesnt cook? She must be special wink

Can you cook at least?
Re: If Your Wife-To-Be Can't Cook by JJYOU: 2:44am On Jan 06, 2009
KarmaMod:

I'm quite surprised, JJYOU. A whole Naija man like you marrying a woman that doesnt cook? She must be special wink

Can you cook at least?
surprise! surprise!! food is not everything my dear. do we like our food so much or it is enslaving other men daughters we love.
yes i can cook. i was born in an era you couldnt say no to your mum when duty calls. she and my gran taught us to do everything. i cooked something for my parents about 3yrs ago. i am a good cook when i want to but i am one of those who dont enjoy cooking at all.

can you cook yourself?
Re: If Your Wife-To-Be Can't Cook by osisi3(f): 2:53am On Jan 06, 2009
I love you Josh
You ought to educate some of these men that think cooking is all a woman is good for.
I'm sure your wife is glad to have a man who values her for her not her puff puff making skills
Re: If Your Wife-To-Be Can't Cook by KarmaMod(f): 2:56am On Jan 06, 2009
Yes Josh, I just don't like making food for others  tongue mainly cos there's alot of Naija food that I wont eat thus I dont make.

*osisi*:

I love you Josh
You ought to educate some of these men that think cooking is all a woman is good for.
I'm sure your wife is glad to have a man who values her for her not her puff puff making skills

Lol abi o.  grin

Hate puffpuff though! anything overly oily, count me out.
Re: If Your Wife-To-Be Can't Cook by JJYOU: 3:13am On Jan 06, 2009
KarmaMod:

Yes Josh, I just don't like making food for others tongue mainly because there's alot of Naija food that I wont eat thus I don't make.

Lol abi o. grin

*osisi*:

I love you Josh
thanks my dear sister.  i love you too. like i said before we were only 2 boys in the house so my mum  just said pretend you were girls and just do it for your survival because i aint helping you out.  we washed clothes, plates and the floor eevryday. she never spared us. we survived better than most boys in the boarding school.

in fairness to her this and quietness are her only flaw if we call it that.  she is a very peaceful & organised/disciplined young lady. she said she came from the part of heaven that hates kitchens. we laugh about it and wind my ma inlaw up with it because all her 6 daughter inlaws can cook she gave me her only child that can't cook. how fair is that?

i am always gratefull to God for her life because some other men would love to swap places.
Re: If Your Wife-To-Be Can't Cook by Nobody: 3:15am On Jan 06, 2009
KarmaMod:

Yes Josh, I just don't like making food for others tongue mainly because there's alot of Naija food that I wont eat thus I don't make.

Lol abi o. grin

This ought to be a joke. Are you not going to cook for your husband and children?
Plz o, my brother doesn't like a lazy wife tongue
Re: If Your Wife-To-Be Can't Cook by KarmaMod(f): 3:17am On Jan 06, 2009
why would my kids eat what I wont eat?

and your brother can drown to death grin
Re: If Your Wife-To-Be Can't Cook by H2O2: 3:18am On Jan 06, 2009
Western media has poisoned the mind of the beautiful black women.
Re: If Your Wife-To-Be Can't Cook by osisi3(f): 3:22am On Jan 06, 2009
H2O2:

Western media has poisoned the mind of the beautiful black women.

Go and marry aunt Jemima
and if you're a Muslim add Sara Lee,Betty crocker and Mrs Dash grin
Re: If Your Wife-To-Be Can't Cook by Nobody: 3:24am On Jan 06, 2009
KarmaMod:

why would my kids eat what I wont eat?

and your brother can drown to death grin
Are you certain your kids will have the same taste bud as you?

Abeg, don't wish your husband to be a death wish o
Re: If Your Wife-To-Be Can't Cook by KarmaMod(f): 3:30am On Jan 06, 2009
Doesnt matter

There are certain things my parents couldnt stand and was never allowed in our house growing up. Stuff like eko, palm oil, etc

I despise pork, gbegiri, apon and it will never be in my home. If they like let they smell it outside and want it, I must not see it around.

Tradition continues  cool
Re: If Your Wife-To-Be Can't Cook by KarmaMod(f): 3:33am On Jan 06, 2009
*osisi*:

Go and marry aunt Jemima

Rofl. grin
Re: If Your Wife-To-Be Can't Cook by Nobody: 3:33am On Jan 06, 2009
KarmaMod:

Doesnt matter

There are certain things my parents couldnt stand and was never allowed in our house growing up. Stuff like eko, palm oil, etc

I despise pork, gbegiri, apon and it will never be in my home. If they like let they smell it outside and want it, I must not see it around.

Tradition continues cool
True that.

You don't enjoy making food for others, you said, have you started enjoying it?

Wetin be gbegiri and apon?
Re: If Your Wife-To-Be Can't Cook by osisi3(f): 3:36am On Jan 06, 2009
Karma happy new Year o
Re: If Your Wife-To-Be Can't Cook by KarmaMod(f): 3:40am On Jan 06, 2009
Kids are different, alagolo. Hush up. Sadly maternal instincts make you wanna share things with kids, even food  cry  tongue

Are you sure you are Yoruba sha. How do you not know Gbegiri, akpon, etc.

Either way they are nasty food that smell like a fat woman's armpit. Anytime Im around family and smell that crap, I get my Hazmat suit  angry

I should add Egusi to the list sef. I might allow it, only when he makes me happy sha  grin

Doesnt change the fact that it looks like baby feces.  angry
Re: If Your Wife-To-Be Can't Cook by KarmaMod(f): 3:41am On Jan 06, 2009
Osisi dear, Happy New Year

How was Naija? Everyone's been telling me how unbearable hott it was this Dec.
Re: If Your Wife-To-Be Can't Cook by Nobody: 3:47am On Jan 06, 2009
KarmaMod:

Kids are different, alagolo. Hush up. Sadly maternal instincts make you want to share things with kids, even food cry tongue
awww, see you eh? Take care of those quadruplets for me smiley

KarmaMod:

No, I'm actually Hausa

KarmaMod:

I should add Egusi to the list sef. I might allow it, only when he makes me happy sha grin

Doesnt change the fact that it looks like baby feces. angry
lmao, you're not serious. Oya, am inviting as a special guess to dinner. You go change your mind abt egusi tongue
Re: If Your Wife-To-Be Can't Cook by ChinenyeN(m): 4:28am On Jan 06, 2009
[quote="JJYOU"]good on you sir.  my lady is a can't cook wont cook person. she does her tea that is about it. my dear mum whom i tot would have encouraged her when they met just said she is a good      shame she was not born to cook. mind you mum was in her 60s from a different generation that should have been up in arms saying no she must cook. 

personally i think she is a great person. everyone who comes across her have that opinion of her.  i wont change anything about her cook or no cook. don't pity me because we never starve or go hungry. she makes sure there is always food in the house. i think she was born for greater things in life than cooking and that is okay with me.  we don't have to waste or reduce a persons life to their ability to cook[/quote]
Wow. . . clap hands for yourself?  Whoever said that the girl was worthless? Who ever said that the girl cannot be a great person without knowing how to cook? Who said we are wasting or reducing a person's life just because he/she cannot cook? Who said it was shameful if she couldn't cook at all? No one (at least not me, but I do pity a woman that cannot cook. I don't necessarily shout "SHAME ON HER!", but I do pity her). I just said that I would prefer a wife that can cook as good, if not better than me. Is that a crime? Even moreso, if someone were to be my wife-to-be, then the issue of cooking would have already been discussed and sorted out because that is one of the first things I ask about. I would have gotten that issue out of the way before I marry/married her, because I love food. I love to eat. I'm almost always hungry, and I rarely ever prefer to eat out, unless there's a good reason for it (i.e. there's something to celebrate). Other than that, I prefer home-cooked meals. So is having/wanting a wife that knows how to cook a sin? Na wa for you. This kind of thing should not even be that big of an issue. She just has to know how to cook. It's really just that simple. Am I saying that she will slave over a hot stove from sunrise to sunrise (yes, I said sunrise to sunrise)? Of course not. What are you even assuming? You are assuming that because I prefer someone that knows how to cook, I would force her to cook daily and nightly?

So, long story short, if there is any girl that I want to marry and she is my wife-to-be, then that means she knows how to cook as good, if not better than me (hopefully better), because I would not marry someone that doesn't know how to cook or isn't willing to learn how. So clap hands for yourself and your wife because she cannot cook and no one cares. Good for her (and you, and whomever else invovled). Just because others don't mind living a life without home-cooked meals does not mean that I must tag along and do the same.
Re: If Your Wife-To-Be Can't Cook by WesleyanA(f): 4:34am On Jan 06, 2009
If you are a man and firmly believe that a woman must know how to cook, i don't know why she is your "wife-to-be" in the first place. why would you get engaged to such a person

if on the other hand, you feel that your wife's cooking ability (i'm assuming that this topic is referring to nigerian dishes) is not the priority for your marriage, then marry her.

simple as that.
Re: If Your Wife-To-Be Can't Cook by H2O2: 4:34am On Jan 06, 2009
Yeah, thanks for bringing that up.  grin
If your wife considers cooking an oppressive chore you are in for a long and bumpy marriage.
Re: If Your Wife-To-Be Can't Cook by H2O2: 4:35am On Jan 06, 2009
WesleyanA:

If you are a man and firmly believe that a woman must know how to cook, i don't know why she is your "wife-to-be" in the first place. why would you get engaged to such a person

if on the other hand, you feel that your wife's cooking ability (i'm assuming that this topic is referring to nigerian dishes) is not the priority for your marriage, then marry her.

simple as that.
Why? One man's meat is another's poison.
Cooking is high on his list but low on yours, fine. You two shouldn't marry each other.
Re: If Your Wife-To-Be Can't Cook by Nobody: 8:55am On Jan 06, 2009
*osisi*:

Go and marry aunt Jemima

and if you're a christian, you can marry 'em one after another grin

the best way to a man's heart is through his stomach - this isn't an african proverb, its a western one.

anyway, i'm sure we know that love conquers all only in the movies - some good cooking may be just what is required to cool down the masters temper, or wheedle that trip to the mall to buy the new washing machine out of him - plus , long after the lead has gone out of oga's pencil, he will still have a stomach and tastebuds. ok enuff devils advocay -

it really depends on you. we all have different tics and hangups. with some people its food, with some its neatness, with some its responsibility, with some its tastes, etc. OP, are you ready to berar that bad cooking for tt[b]he rest of your life?[/b] if not. . .
Re: If Your Wife-To-Be Can't Cook by farotika(m): 3:24pm On Jan 06, 2009
KarmaMod:

Kids are different, alagolo. Hush up. Sadly maternal instincts make you want to share things with kids, even food cry tongue

Either way they are nasty food that smell like a fat woman's armpit. Anytime I'm around family and smell that crap, I get my Hazmat suit angry

I should add Egusi to the list sef. I might allow it, only when he makes me happy sha grin

Doesnt change the fact that it looks like baby feces. angry

My sister, u dey miss oo, haba shocked Why will u call those wonderful and mouth watering soup nasty shocked shocked shocked U must be very nasty urself grin grin

I beg repent and accept gbegiri, akpon, egusi and the likes into ur life cool
Re: If Your Wife-To-Be Can't Cook by farotika(m): 3:53pm On Jan 06, 2009
My fellow NLs, from this part of the world, women knowing how to cook is inevitable. Cooking is an art that a woman who wants a successful marriage must learn even before becoming a wife-to-be.

In my own opinion, there is no difference btw a woman who does not like to cook and the one who does not like making love with the hubby. They both lack the ingredients that make a smooth and happy marriage. In fact, where sex fails, food may not.

It should also be noted that cooking for once hubby does not make a woman less professional or more inferior. In fact, it endears her more to the hubby. My wife is a banker and a very busy one for that matter. Notwithstanding, she does not play with her cooking. She told me expressly that she doesn’t want me to have any reason to eat outside. Believe me honestly, this makes me love her more and more and I'm always beside her in the kitchen whenever I'm at home helping her with the cooking (cos I'm a good cook too).

So, if you're a lady here and don't know how to cook, pls stop giving excuses and learn; u'll need it sooner or latter.
Re: If Your Wife-To-Be Can't Cook by KarmaMod(f): 4:44pm On Jan 06, 2009
Chinyere, I believe JJYOU was just sharing his own persoonal experience. Why get all defensive and write a sermon?

Most of his comment was a general one about the topic. Second time you think someone's making a thread about you. Sheesh. ego?

farotika:

My sister, u dey miss oo, haba shocked Why will u call those wonderful and mouth watering soup nasty shocked shocked shocked U must be very nasty yourself grin grin

I beg repent and accept gbegiri, akpon, egusi and the likes into ur life cool

*waka* ori e lo nasty.

abeg I rebuke you and your vomit-like dishes. shey won ron e si mi ni?

Infact Im adding ewedu to the list
Re: If Your Wife-To-Be Can't Cook by JJYOU: 6:29pm On Jan 06, 2009
KarmaMod:

Chinyere, I believe JJYOU was just sharing his own persoonal experience. Why get all defensive and write a sermon?

Most of his comment was a general one about the topic. Second time you think someone's making a thread about you. Sheesh. ego?

thank you my dear. some people never cease to amaze me. he is fighting for his human right to eat home cooked meals like his life depends on it. i daily eat home cooked meals myself it is no big deal.

ChinenyeN:

Wow. . . clap hands for yourself?  So clap hands for yourself and your wife because she cannot cook and no one cares. Good for her (and you, and whomever else invovled). Just because others don't mind living a life without home-cooked meals does not mean that I must [/b]tag along and do the same.
copy and paste here the invitation for you to [b] tag along. stop stressing yourself over other peoples business. look for a good cook by all means and good luck in your search
Re: If Your Wife-To-Be Can't Cook by Nobody: 6:35pm On Jan 06, 2009
karmamod no like to cook.  grin

na JJYOU go fit am.

A fi ko ma je chilli lo mo.
Re: If Your Wife-To-Be Can't Cook by JJYOU: 6:38pm On Jan 06, 2009
davidylan:

karmamod no like to cook.  grin

na JJYOU go fit am.

A fi ko ma je chilli lo mo.
bro david you want give us work. one wife do your brother now.  you know i was trying to get you to do sellection for me on the yaradua's daughter thread you didnt show up.
Re: If Your Wife-To-Be Can't Cook by KarmaMod(f): 9:20pm On Jan 06, 2009
This boy think say Im like him with his food coloring, cat food and ketchup that he calls stew.

Oniranu.
Re: If Your Wife-To-Be Can't Cook by Leilah(f): 11:00pm On Jan 06, 2009
jjyou, you must be one in a million

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Wait!! Before You Marry That Your Igbo Girlfriend, You Have To Read This!! / Ogun Ti Akoba Fe Ki Okunrin Tabi Obinrin Loju Miran Leyin Eni / Igbo Names In At Least Three Separate Dialects

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.