Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,986 members, 7,810,753 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:34 PM

Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once (29266 Views)

The Bad Behaviour Of Some Nigerians Abroad / How Nigerians Abroad Complain About Loneliness Amazes Me / Nigerians Abroad, How Do You Cope With The Coronavirus Issue? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by TOPCRUISE(m): 12:52pm On Sep 14, 2022
Fear of persecution, attacks

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by Nobody: 12:53pm On Sep 14, 2022
SergeantTitus:
Why do nigerians living abroad fail to come back to Nigeria even for Important things like their parents death, burial, brother's wedding etc? I also find it weird some remain there for 15, 20, 30 years without ever visiting home even if na just once.

angry
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by Nobody: 12:54pm On Sep 14, 2022
SergeantTitus:
Why do nigerians living abroad fail to come back to Nigeria even for Important things like their parents death, burial, brother's wedding etc? I also find it weird some remain there for 15, 20, 30 years without ever visiting home even if na just once.

Moskito sir.....we dont foook around wit them things!!!!(REAL TALK) angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by gulfer: 12:54pm On Sep 14, 2022
Simple, no paper and if they leave. they cannot get in again.........So they end up staying for many years until they succeed or otherwise, I know someone that left in the late 90s and has not secured his papers, cannot come home and has never sent a pin back home because he cannot work or even own a bank account undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by Youoareofoolish: 12:54pm On Sep 14, 2022
SergeantTitus:

When e reach your turn dey visit every 2 weeks

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by Angelfrost(m): 12:56pm On Sep 14, 2022
Op is funny Sha....

There are Nigerians based in Lagos, Abuja, and other major cities who never visit their hometowns for up to a decade! grin

So, how then do you expect such people leave another nation to visit here?!

Some can't visit because they just can't afford the cost... Most have simply cut ties with this nation!!! Simple!

9 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by Rubicon67(m): 12:56pm On Sep 14, 2022
MrMcJay:
How many of those living abroad are really thriving where they are?

For argument sake, what is your definition of thriving in this context?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by bigcasava1(m): 12:56pm On Sep 14, 2022
Most of them don't have paper so if u come back no going back
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by Emmaxy9(m): 12:57pm On Sep 14, 2022
CaptainZubi:
Most of them no get money. No let anybody deceive you, obodo oyinbo no easy. The system is designed to make you work your black ass like a slave for someone, get paid with one hand then the government use another hand to collect am. Some people have lived abroad for 20 years but can't even boast of $15000 as savings. People who go there and make it big with riches they start building mansions back in nigeria are into one shady deal or the other. No let them deceive you, the money no legit. Usually wire wire, BEC, drugs, robbery and all forms of fraud.
Sorry to to say but this is a poverty mindset. You're one of the folks who believe that success or extreme wealth is gotten only through fraud and not through hardwork.

The same abroad you're talking about, there are young people, even less than 25 years, making good money, and buying houses. I know a 25 year old man who stays at Dubai and makes millions of dollars through information marketing. Change your mindset tho

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by nwajesus12(m): 12:57pm On Sep 14, 2022
CaptainZubi:
Also Forget about all those if you earn $3k dollars convert am to naira na 3,000,000 monthly you go do this do that, buy land for enugu, build house for lagos bla bla bla

It doesn't work that way. Bills go collect up to 75% of that money.
your conversion is wrong
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by 2Radii: 12:59pm On Sep 14, 2022
grin
CaptainZubi:
Also Forget about all those if you earn $3k dollars convert am to naira na 3,000,000 monthly you go do this do that, buy land for enugu, build house for lagos bla bla bla

grin grin grin

You are not a good pikin, Omo buruku grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by xavuv: 1:00pm On Sep 14, 2022
But you dont spend NGN abroad. Yoi don't need to do any stupid conversion aboroadu, lol

NwaliE01:

Big lie. It's not true brother. It's you guys at home that can't afford the flight. Exchange rate is favorable to people abroad. Convert your earning to dollar to understand. Our weekly wages abroad runs into million(s) of naira but not the other way round.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by CaptainZubi: 1:01pm On Sep 14, 2022
gulfer:
Simple, no paper and if they leave. they cannot get in again.........So they end up staying for many years until they succeed or otherwise, I know someone that left in the late 90s and has not secured his papers, cannot come home and has never sent a pin back home because he cannot work or even own a bank account undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
I know someone that left since 2001 too. He left his kids and wife behind. He never returned, neither have they reunited with him. I know say na paper wahala but I just dey mind my business.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by kunkelhanspeter(m): 1:01pm On Sep 14, 2022
NwaliE01:

Big lie. It's not true brother. It's you guys at home that can't afford the flight. Exchange rate is favorable to people abroad. Convert your earning to dollar to understand. Our weekly wages abroad runs into million(s) of naira but not the other way round.
Your weekly wages abroad really?
After paying bills how much is left with you be honest?
And After bills can your 2 -5 months salary be enough for flight back to Nigeria to and fro?

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by Angelfrost(m): 1:02pm On Sep 14, 2022
CaptainZubi:
Most of them no get money. No let anybody deceive you, obodo oyinbo no easy. The system is designed to make you work your black ass like a slave for someone, get paid with one hand then the government use another hand to collect am. Some people have lived abroad for 20 years but can't even boast of $15000 as savings. People who go there and make it big with riches they start building mansions back in nigeria are into one shady deal or the other. No let them deceive you, the money no legit. Usually wire wire, BEC, drugs, robbery and all forms of fraud.

Wrong!!!

There are many Nigerians working legit and saving enough which when converted to our dying currency is more than enough to build decent houses here!

Leave matter guy! To every man his own!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by Ikennaford: 1:03pm On Sep 14, 2022
CaptainZubi:
Shut up don't say what you don't know, travel first before you type shit,
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by xavuv: 1:04pm On Sep 14, 2022
kunkelhanspeter:

And After bills can your 2 -5 months salary be enough for flight back to Nigeria to and fro?

Dont waste your mb on that guy. Hes not abroad. He knows nothing

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by Lekan239(m): 1:05pm On Sep 14, 2022
Born2conquer:
The expenses
1)Most of them do not have their personal House in Nigeria so the cost of staying in an hotels is high

2)They pay per hour in abroad and the money they earn their is just enough to keep them afloat, imagine now going on vacation for 2 weeks (that is 1hr times 2 weeks), it would be hard to clear the month's expenses (utility bill, house rent ) on just 2 weeks pay.

3)Flight money to and fro is high

4)Expectation from those that left in Nigeria is high so they prefer staying there and sending money than coming back home to do Santa claus because everybody they meet would expect them to drop something for them as per abroad returnees who has money.

5)Some are scared of what they read and see on the news so they feel insecurity is everywhere and that they might get shot/killed right at the airport, if you kosgen to the news too much, you will think everywhere is unsafe in Nigeria whereas the country is safer than USA.

6) while the rest are scared of village people.

7)And shame no allow some come back because they're yet to achieve anything tangible
part time job overseas is maximum of 4hrs per day, while full time job is 8hrs per day
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by codedcliq: 1:05pm On Sep 14, 2022
Born2conquer:
The expenses
1)Most of them do not have their personal House in Nigeria so the cost of staying in an hotels is high

2)They pay per hour in abroad and the money they earn their is just enough to keep them afloat, imagine now going on vacation for 2 weeks (that is 1hr times 2 weeks), it would be hard to clear the month's expenses (utility bill, house rent ) on just 2 weeks pay.

3)Flight money to and fro is high

4)Expectation from those that left in Nigeria is high so they prefer staying there and sending money than coming back home to do Santa claus because everybody they meet would expect them to drop something for them as per abroad returnees who has money.

5)Some are scared of what they read and see on the news so they feel insecurity is everywhere and that they might get shot/killed right at the airport, if you kosgen to the news too much, you will think everywhere is unsafe in Nigeria whereas the country is safer than USA.

6) while the rest are scared of village people.

7)And shame no allow some come back because they're yet to achieve anything tangible

Your point 5 is very valid. Some peeps here just talk as if 9ja is Afghanistan or Syria.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by kunkelhanspeter(m): 1:07pm On Sep 14, 2022
CaptainZubi:
In my village i know someone who use over 10-15 years to finish his house his a medical doctor for that matter . He smoke more than fela.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by Lekan239(m): 1:08pm On Sep 14, 2022
Oduduwa707:
OP, when you use the term 'home', you need to realize their new home is no longer Nigeria but, whichever country they currently reside. So 'home' is where their new immediate family resides.

Some don't have the needed papers to come back to 9ja else, they'll get stuck if they do and, trust me Nigerians won't spare their blushes. They would start making fun of 'em. Yes, you heard right. Majority of Nigerians are not good pple. They're secretly wishing each other the worse yet, we're the most spiritual religious pple on earth.

Some Diasporans can't afford to visit 9ja as it's quite expensive. For example, tix fare from the U.S to 9ja is typically $2K on average. They would also shop for things to bring to 9ja... let's say another $2K, they would also budget for their accommodation, feeding, transportation etc... while in 9ja. And let's not forget how poor the 9ja economy is. They would also want to gift monetarily to families and friends. This doesn't include their own personal and leisure expenses ooo. Some also have various personal projects and stuff. Too much expectations, trust me.

At least $8K budget for a 2-week trip

The level of insecurity is another factor. A Maryland based Nigerian was recently killed upon his relocation to 9ja after several years abroad. Just imagine... undecided

Yes, you heard me right! undecided That's like a month worth of net salary for a mid 6-figure income earner in thw U.S.

Now, I hope you understand.
how many of the migrant even earn upto this 8k$ per month. Is it that easy

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by wethebest(m): 1:08pm On Sep 14, 2022
Nigeriaiscasted:

What of those that studies Diplomacy, Law And Global Change?? Do they fare any better. Any respond given will be appreciated. I am applying for this into conventry uni

Truth is that all schools abroad will accept u no mata d course as long u meet their requirements cox u bringing money to dem. Why studying, please try learn any gud tech skills from udemy nd co dat will issue u certificates. These will be of great advantage to u wen applying for jobs. Am a full stack developer and i work from home. Any I.T.skills dat pay u more dan 500k monthly is nt bad for a start.

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by Heterodox(m): 1:10pm On Sep 14, 2022
I that I'm in Nigeria has not visited homes many years now

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by Harrynight(m): 1:10pm On Sep 14, 2022
CaptainZubi:

Nigerians who hasnt been there will never understand this

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by gulfer: 1:10pm On Sep 14, 2022
CaptainZubi:

I know someone that left since 2001 too. He left his kids and wife behind. He never returned, neither have they reunited with him. I know say na paper wahala but I just dey mind my business.
It has never made any sense to me why a grown man will blindly find his way into such a condition especially those who did this in the 80/90s.........what was the issue with saying and working in the country in those decades; I may understand the scenarios currently but for those that travelled since 80s and 90s, I guess I may never understand angry angry angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by Tegabadguy(m): 1:10pm On Sep 14, 2022
SergeantTitus:
because to go back hard die.................
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by Ikennaford: 1:11pm On Sep 14, 2022
kunkelhanspeter:

I earn 50dolls per hour here,at the end of the month,I don't spend more than 200$, right now my 18flat mansion in Nigeria is almost done worth 250k$ and my networth 350k$ working legitimately for 4 years now here in l L.a .....

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by temitope27(m): 1:14pm On Sep 14, 2022
CaptainZubi:

when did 1 dollar become #1k
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by Nigeriaiscasted: 1:16pm On Sep 14, 2022
wethebest:

Truth is that all schools abroad will accept u no mata d course as long u meet their requirements cox u bringing money to dem. Why studying, please try learn any gud tech skills from udemy nd co dat will issue u certificates. These will be of great advantage to u wen applying for jobs. Am a full stack developer and i work from home. Any I.T.skills dat pay u more dan 500k monthly is nt bad for a start.

I’ll blew you a 1000 kisses and 5000 hugs from here brother God bless you
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by vickin407(m): 1:16pm On Sep 14, 2022
Well said. you surely have hot the nail .. Abroad can be SAPA at times ooo .. one needs that right certification and good orientation

SEXONLY:
ABROAD hard pass the way you are seeing it for TV especially if you don't have the required papers to stay there legally. You can stay 6 months without not been able to have 100 ponds as savings, UK for example. Bill will humble you and you will regret yourself. To enjoy abroad you must have a good skills with the right certifications and years of experience anything aside that na stress especially if you are above 40 years old.

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by 2Radii: 1:17pm On Sep 14, 2022
Emmaxy9:

Sorry to to say but this is a poverty mindset. You're one of the folks who believe that success or extreme wealth is gotten only through fraud and not through hardwork.

The same abroad you're talking about, there are young people, even less than 25 years, making good money, and buying houses. I know a 25 year old man who stays at Dubai and makes millions of dollars through information marketing. Change your mindset tho

Dubai??

Information Marketing??

Invictus Obi??

Continue...

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by Yankee101: 1:18pm On Sep 14, 2022
You needs millions to visit home. Your family would rather have the money.

Insecurity

Some stay to get travelling papers first

Some have moved their loved ones already

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Video Of The New Ebute Metta Train Station / UAE Lifts Ban On Passengers Travelling From Nigeria / Emirates Suspends All Flights From Nigeria From September 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.