Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,256 members, 7,811,715 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:55 PM

Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once (29289 Views)

The Bad Behaviour Of Some Nigerians Abroad / How Nigerians Abroad Complain About Loneliness Amazes Me / Nigerians Abroad, How Do You Cope With The Coronavirus Issue? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by maziude: 3:36pm On Sep 14, 2022
SergeantTitus:
Why do nigerians living abroad fail to come back to Nigeria even for Important things like their parents death, burial, brother's wedding etc? I also find it weird some remain there for 15, 20, 30 years without ever visiting home even if na just once.

Your list of important thing is skewed.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by Nobody: 3:41pm On Sep 14, 2022
SergeantTitus:
Why do nigerians living abroad fail to come back to Nigeria even for Important things like their parents death, burial, brother's wedding etc? I also find it weird some remain there for 15, 20, 30 years without ever visiting home even if na just once.

bros.. pucccci dyamm too expensive to get in that Nigeria place....its free hear in South London sir!!!!(REAL TALK) angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by GeneralShepherd(m): 3:42pm On Sep 14, 2022
CaptainZubi:
Most of them no get money. No let anybody deceive you, obodo oyinbo no easy. The system is designed to make you work your black ass like a slave for someone, get paid with one hand then the government use another hand to collect am. Some people have lived abroad for 20 years but can't even boast of $15000 as savings. People who go there and make it big with riches they start building mansions back in nigeria are into one shady deal or the other. No let them deceive you, the money no legit. Usually wire wire, BEC, drugs, robbery and all forms of fraud.

Nonsense upon Nonsense. Most people here are trying to cope.
Let me tell you why many people don't come home.

When you are single it is easy logistics wise and relatively cheap to travel.

As soon as you have your family, the logistics of visiting Nigeria drastically changes. You might be on leave but your spouse is not or the kids are in school etc.

The cost of travelling, as a single person you might spend on average $7000 for a two weeks vacation in Nigeria.

With a wife and two children that cost goes up to $20K to visit Nigeria.

For me it is cheaper to have my mum visit me than going to Nigeria and spending $20K with a high probability of getting kidnapped

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by Unemadu: 3:43pm On Sep 14, 2022
Ihe nile si n’akalaka
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by GeneralShepherd(m): 3:44pm On Sep 14, 2022
Oduduwa707:
OP, when you use the term 'home', you need to realize their new home is no longer Nigeria but, whichever country they currently reside. So 'home' is where their new immediate family resides.

Some don't have the needed papers to come back to 9ja else, they'll get stuck if they do and, trust me Nigerians won't spare their blushes. They would start making fun of 'em. Yes, you heard right. Majority of Nigerians are not good pple. They're secretly wishing each other the worse yet, we're the most spiritual religious pple on earth.

Some Diasporans can't afford to visit 9ja as it's quite expensive. For example, tix fare from the U.S to 9ja is typically $2K on average. They would also shop for things to bring to 9ja... let's say another $2K, they would also budget for their accommodation, feeding, transportation etc... while in 9ja. And let's not forget how poor the 9ja economy is. They would also want to gift monetarily to families and friends. This doesn't include their own personal and leisure expenses ooo. Some also have various personal projects and stuff. Too much expectations, trust me.

At least $8K budget for a 2-week trip Yes, you heard me right! undecided That's like a month worth of net salary for a mid 6-figure income earner in the U.S.

The level of insecurity is another factor. A Maryland based Nigerian was recently killed upon his relocation to 9ja after several years abroad. Just imagine... undecided

Now, I hope you understand.

$8K is if you are single. For a family of 4 you are looking at least $20K.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by HRprof: 3:52pm On Sep 14, 2022
KingAzubuike:

Go countries like Canada or USA no get car now na die you go die. What you said is only applicable in countries like Netherlands and most parts of Europe.
Anyway I’m saying based on what I saw when I visited Europe and I thought is same in USA and Canada, honestly buying a car in Europe is a waste of resources.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by fombi: 4:02pm On Sep 14, 2022
THIS LIST CONTAINS 98% OF THE REASONS WHY PEOPLE DON"T COME HOME TO NIGERIA.

Number 1: They haven't gotten their papers

Number 2 : Fear of insecurity in Nigeria, kidnappers, armed rubbers, etc etc

Number 3 : Coming to Nigeria is expensive, cost of flight from US/Canada is high, hotel accommodation in Nigeria, you still have to keep paying
your bills aboard while in Nigeria spending.

Number 4 : Lack of power supply, bad roads, noise pollution like how everyone hit their car hunk like mad people mostly in Lagos, dirty bad
roads etc.

Number 5: Bad corrupt and evil politicians/government. If you've stayed abroad, you realize how corrupt people like Tinubu, Atiku etc are. You
become aware they should already be spending 70 years in jail for stealing/corruption and destruction of society, but they are
celebrated by bunch of idiots. This is the main reason that produces all the reasons. So in a nutshell, bad corrupt politician like
Tinubu/Atiku are the main reason some people don't like to come back home to Nigeria.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by BigDawsNet: 4:07pm On Sep 14, 2022
Since I left, I'm yet to visit home
My elder bro visit Nigeria twice every year

I get papers but I don't have any tight relationship with anyone back home

Different mentality.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by ednut1(m): 4:13pm On Sep 14, 2022
This year i went to Uk from Canada from there to Nigeria. Spent 3 days in uk, spent 3 weeks in Nigeria. Took local flight in Nigeria too. Spent over 5k Canada dols. I no dey come anytime soon o. Thats like one month salary for some people

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by PARADIZEPRIEST: 4:14pm On Sep 14, 2022
Flight ticket alone is someone house rent per year angry

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by ednut1(m): 4:19pm On Sep 14, 2022
HRprof:

Anyway I’m saying based on what I saw when I visited Europe and I thought is same in USA and Canada, honestly buying a car in Europe is a waste of resources.
i was working remotely before I changed jobs in Canada.and the job required coming to the office twice a week. I used public transport from Toronto to Mississauga. Spent 1 hour 45 mins forma train and one bus. Next day i went to buy car and it takes me 50 mins to get to work. In many places in canada and American you cannot survive without car especially in winter.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by CaseSensitive(m): 4:21pm On Sep 14, 2022
Not been to Nigeria in 11 years due to different reasons, first it was college and uni, finished with that but then security situation got worse. Friends and family back home are always telling me news about kidnapping, it's like they don't want me to come. On a different note, I use to know a lady who went back to Nigeria for two weeks or so and died in an accident there just few months ago. Mysteriously, she wasn't the only occupant in the car but she was the only person that died. Those are enough to make me sit my a$$ here until further notice.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by Rapture4real(m): 4:25pm On Sep 14, 2022
When you consider the cost of traveling to and fro, it will be better you send the money for them to do the occasion. Some may come and not return again

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by KingAzubuike(f): 4:27pm On Sep 14, 2022
meobizy:
Read my signature.
O baje gan omo yii.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by Ikamandoncome: 4:31pm On Sep 14, 2022
styles2009:

Please louder, they expect those abroad to announce their movement on SM.
My schoolmate saw me under bridge in Ikeja in 2020 and was shocked, yes na me be that, I dey Lagos���.

Jesu,bros easy oh.... Life e haro(ask Efik man)
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by kevyngbash(m): 4:39pm On Sep 14, 2022
OP,
start by asking yourself why some people in Nigeria do not visit their villages for 2 years upwards. Then proceed to add the peculiarities of living out of the country where you need to settle down.

Ask also how long it takes one to settle down in a foreign country. Even if you travel overseas legally, it will take you a min of 2 years to settle enough to fly home.

Intelligent people realize that going home is all about spending money even when they say 'just to see your people'

someone living abroad will take all that into consideration before going home

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by Bowwow11(m): 4:41pm On Sep 14, 2022
That is because is not easy to settle down in abroad

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by SEXONLY: 4:57pm On Sep 14, 2022
Try understand me better. Going there without legal papers at 40+ will be hard. The work you will have to do will be too stressing and it won't be easy to as well go for training if you don't have the require skills and experience before leaving Nigeria.

EngrKemp:

Why over 40 years ?
Is over 40 years a bad thing abroad?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by sulaak(m): 5:50pm On Sep 14, 2022
KingAzubuike:

Your children no go come your burial. Say amen.

When I am dead, I am dead. I wouldn't even know how my assets are shared beyond my will.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by cooooooks(m): 5:54pm On Sep 14, 2022
So that your village people will happen??

Some, many, travel back every year. However, immigration is a near complete transplant of your life.

SergeantTitus:
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by sulaak(m): 5:54pm On Sep 14, 2022
CaptainZubi:
Most of them no get money. No let anybody deceive you, obodo oyinbo no easy. The system is designed to make you work your black ass like a slave for someone, get paid with one hand then the government use another hand to collect am. Some people have lived abroad for 20 years but can't even boast of $15000 as savings. People who go there and make it big with riches they start building mansions back in nigeria are into one shady deal or the other. No let them deceive you, the money no legit. Usually wire wire, BEC, drugs, robbery and all forms of fraud.

You are just jealous and bitter.

Living in a country with no light, clean water and very limited economic prospect can be very daunting. You desperately want your friends to come to Nigeria and dash you money but they have cut off your lazy ass.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by Edc1: 5:57pm On Sep 14, 2022
Not easy
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by jojothaiv(m): 6:03pm On Sep 14, 2022
ATEAMS:
Better life regardless.... everyday u r more closer to your breakthrough than you came ...
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by Nobody: 6:13pm On Sep 14, 2022
SergeantTitus:
Is Nigeria safe?Na family members go plan their kidnap sef.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by Nobody: 6:20pm On Sep 14, 2022
CaptainZubi:
If you are not a citizen or you enter without the required documents it will be difficult for you.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by Advancedman(m): 6:22pm On Sep 14, 2022
SergeantTitus:

Nobody is asking you to come back. Just try see your family and go back . Some of them won't even come for their parents burial . I find it weird dissociating yourself from your family for 25 30 40 years.

You no well.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by Acidosis(m): 6:32pm On Sep 14, 2022
GeneralShepherd:

Nonsense upon Nonsense. Most people here are trying to cope.
Let me tell you why many people don't come home.

When you are single it is easy logistics wise and relatively cheap to travel.

As soon as you have your family, the logistics of visiting Nigeria drastically changes. You might be on leave but your spouse is not or the kids are in school etc.

The cost of travelling, as a single person you might spend on average $7000 for a two weeks vacation in Nigeria.

With a wife and two children that cost goes up to $20K to visit Nigeria.

For me it is cheaper to have my mum visit me than going to Nigeria and spending $20K with a high probability of getting kidnapped

Nobody will kidnap you for visiting home. If they want your money, they'll go after your mom. But...the other things you mentioned are FACTS cool
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by Sixfiguresmart(m): 6:34pm On Sep 14, 2022
Sir, you cannot tell me that you do not have a back up or support in place. You said that your uncle is a multi-billionaire. With such contact in place, any man can excel. One of the problems with start up is access or reference which your uncle already established for you. You might not know it but it actually opened the door for you.

Many Nigerians I know return home to every member of their family still dirt poor and they cannot move forward with that limitation. Just having a multi-billionaire in the family takes the focus away from you and that will allow you thrive faster.

I am happy for you, bro. Keep up the good work. I love inspirational chapters like yours. Such a story creates a sense of hope amidst the chaos in town. Cheers bro
Eriokanmi:
I agree with you, different strokes for different folks. But I came back home after my programme without a back up or support in place. I started from the scratch, chased the likes of Chinese and Indians rendering my kind of service away. Now, my company has a great
share of the market. It wasn't easy but we fought hard, ultimately with God's help
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by CountVersailles(f): 6:36pm On Sep 14, 2022
Amalekki:
There is something called "mind your own business'. People naturally do what works best for them. There is no single reason.

Flights coming to Nigeria are almost always fully booked and most of the passengers are Nigerians abroad. Some don't even go to their parent's 'homes' outside of cities with airports and this is often with their parent's consent to avoid evil village people and plain users. I know someone that comes to Nigeria at least twice a year without stepping out of Lagos to his home state, not even for any family burial. Safety first.

Also, many Nigerians abroad don't make noise or do social media flaunting. It's the struggling ones that tend to do that to mask their reality. There is hardly a weekend you don't have multiple Nigerian destination wedding filled with Nigerians flying into the Carribean Islands especially Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Bahamas, Costa Rica etc.

Yes, some don't have papers. Some are struggling. There is no single bucket to fit all into. We have the rich, the okay, and the struggling as we have everywhere, being abroad does not change that.
I wish everyone can listen to this beautiful piece you typed. But knowing Nigerians, they'll all just ignore it and go ahead with their constant bleating about how abroadians don't have money and don't visit the country.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by Nobody: 6:46pm On Sep 14, 2022
sulaak:

You are just jealous and bitter.

Living in a country with no light, clean water and very limited economic prospect can be very daunting. You desperately want your friends to come to Nigeria and dash you money but they have cut off your lazy ass.
Most of What he stated were true.It is not every negative things someone said is jealousy.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by wethebest(m): 6:51pm On Sep 14, 2022
2Radii:
Nawa ooh, people are making money ooh.

But that Ur friend is not a newbie sha, he's experienced

He started classes from udemy in 2012. In all these, we have neva attended any physical class to acquire these skillls. Udacity also offer online scholarship for some Africa countries Nigeria inclusive. We have both taken like two of those scholarships nd the certificate is highly respected.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Stay Several Years Without Visiting Home For Once by Kingzy4pep(m): 6:52pm On Sep 14, 2022
CaptainZubi:
Also Forget about all those if you earn $3k dollars convert am to naira na 3,000,000 monthly you go do this do that, buy land for enugu, build house for lagos bla bla bla

It doesn't work that way. Bills go collect up to 75% of that money.
Seems you know alot.. Which country are you? Please

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Did You Ever Regretted leaving Lagos For Another State In Nigeria? / Nigerians At Rigasa Train Station Buy Train Tickets To Avoid Kidnappers / Levi Ajuonuma (NNPC Spokeman) Killed In Dana Air Crash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.