Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,891 members, 7,814,010 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:52 AM

Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? (70090 Views)

Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement / How Safe Is Traveling By Road At Night From Lagos To Abuja / Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (43) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by jimetagambo: 6:08pm On Nov 05, 2022
ednut1:
english is not that hard. I said looks like its nearing collapse, I didn’t say is nearing collapse. You guys wish that we should be doing McDonald job’s abroad ba. But sorry to burst your burble na office job most of us dey do earning cool money. In uncertain times some will still make money, some will japa, its human nature.

Even if we do McDonald job, there is dignity in labour. Some can't even find the McDonald's type jobs from where they came from.

2 Likes

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Nobody: 6:08pm On Nov 05, 2022
frozen70:

Traveling abroad is an investment that you will gain on the long run

But I prefer the father goes over there make money, set up building here then make arrangements for wife and children to be coming for vacation

As the children graduates they relocate there

If I may ask are u married
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by donforeign: 6:11pm On Nov 05, 2022
Munamoqel:
a good hair cut is 500 naira . paparazzi salon 1k plus lot of hair treatment . You husband will not be cutting his hair himself in Najia his one Najia better pass Canada. But unna get Good school and cheap cars .but bad weather and pako houses ,tonardoes , lonely
a good hair cut in my place is 3k naira.. some places in eko can charge up to 5k self
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by jimetagambo: 6:12pm On Nov 05, 2022
ayandee:

For haircuts, you can do it yourself. My husband does his and the kids. He does a good job of it.

Yes, it's pako house but beautifully designed with basic furnishing. That's the only housing that suits the weather.
Only he knows the amount of codes, regulations and standards that go into those pako houses cheesy

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by osazuwa23: 6:14pm On Nov 05, 2022
Inlive in the west america and the place is overhyped only good thing is the money and job other then that i prefer nigeria or any deve;oping aftican nation such as south africa rwanda morroco. if nigeria can correct those things i can stay in africa
Primusinterpares:
So lately I have seen friends, families, colleagues at work, church members relocating abroad.
These people are "doing well" here in Nigeria.
Many of them resign from their high paying jobs, sells their properties and put up to like 25 - 40 million naira to relocate a family of say 5.
Is it really worth it?
Can't we make a good living here in Nigeria especially people with a good job here?
I need clarifications from those that have gone to enlighten me.
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by jimetagambo: 6:14pm On Nov 05, 2022
Creamcrest:

Nigerians in Canada and America are even complaining of not being able to build wealth.

Those Nigerians can always go back to Africa nah. It's not by force to stay in Canada or USA.

2 Likes

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by RepoMan007: 6:14pm On Nov 05, 2022
Nigeria has opportunities but pray not to see the bad side. If you escape potholes on high speed, police barricade caused accidents, accidental discharge, kidnappings, highway robbers, catastrophic healthcare(rare), household enemies, and a corrupt system, you are lucky.
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by planetx: 6:16pm On Nov 05, 2022
ChybuzzDD:

Greed and unrealizable expectations & dreams are among the reasons many of you commit crimes abroad!

Where would you get $15million working legitimately abroad
See the person calling $15 million like #15 million, 99. 9% of Americans will never see $15 million till they die.

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by osazuwa23: 6:16pm On Nov 05, 2022
most nigerians living in the west are slaves to there corporation.
Munamoqel:
how you want rest when hair cut na 20 USD baby care na 500 USD , insurance na 200 USD to drive rent na 1500 USD . mortgage na 2k for 25 years .child support ,divorce litigation .IHS , park fee , University loans .the bese na endless ! But oyinbo don inherit houses from Papa so no morgagate or rent payment .that already 2k per month off .

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by atutupoyoyo2211: 6:16pm On Nov 05, 2022
Let me explain better. The college i work for, my starting hourly rate was $60 an hour ( Class contact hours). Our contract was reviewed a couple of months ago and the pay was reduced to $41/hour but we have no more than 20 class contact hours a week and 17.5 admin hours. That means i teach for only 20 hours and get paid for 37.5 hours a week. Marking students scripts doesn't take me time at all. The second college i work for is a private college so the pay is less. I get paid $35/hr, for 10 teaching hours. I also have 15 hours of admin time. So i teach for only 10 hours but get paid for 25 hours. All my courses are online for now, so i don't leave my house. i just got an offer from another public college to teach for only 5 hours a week at $80 an hour. So There may be an average pay, it doesn't mean everyone gets paid the average.
Munamoqel:
don't be mislead this the salaries in Canada. The average academic salary in Canada is $62,810 per year or $32.21 per hour. Entry-level positions start at $49,967 per year, while most experienced workers make up to $107,848 per year

2 Likes

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Gipre(m): 6:18pm On Nov 05, 2022
If God should bless me and I travel to America, I will just go to a Community College and study Nursing.

I heard it's cheaper than University.

Then from there, I will walk my way up the career ladder in the Nursing field.

Or I will use my Bachelors Degree from here in Nigeria and apply for what they call Accelerated Bachelor of Science In Nursing (ABSN).

But I heard the latter is quite expensive.

I wish I can get a fully funded Scholarship undecided

To get my Official Transcript from Unilag be the wahala now angry

Anyways, until then, let me keep hustling here in Nigeria.

Okay...Bye.

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by coputa(m): 6:21pm On Nov 05, 2022
Primusinterpares:
Please explain. How is traveling an investment?
Imagine legitimately investing 15million here in 9ja. If we'll managed that could grow to something Huge in the nearest future.
The enabling environment is not provided here for business to strive.On the other hand if everyone leaves, Who will remain here to build this country.The mess in the country now was brought about by the ineptitude of our past and current leaders.Those relocating abroad should stay and embark on a mass revolution against bad government.because when they are old, they will still come back home to meet the rot.
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by atutupoyoyo2211: 6:23pm On Nov 05, 2022
But i don't need those things my dad had. I can buy it myself because i am paid well, that's the point. And i teach Cybersecurity. But, not withstanding. I want to work here till i am 40 and spend more time in Nigeria. I was not suffering when i left Nigeria, i used to work with Shell. But i left because of much more than money. Right now, i am a Canadian Citizen, my baby is a Canadian citizen and my wife would become a citizen by the end of this year. Canada is boring, no doubt. But you can come here, grow your finances, get better education and go back home if you want.
Munamoqel:
at 15k per month you are among the top 1 percent in Canada ! The starting salary is around 40 k . You dey teach astrophysics ? You Dad enjoyed tution free University education and propably stays in University accomodations free .plus free water , security and electricity all provided by the University community . You probably attend staff school free and you dad is allocated University car with a driver attached . This will not happen in Canada . As a Prof he will be carrying is liabilities on his shoulder .

10 Likes

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by jimetagambo: 6:23pm On Nov 05, 2022
truthsayer009:

This real estate issue in Nigeria is a complete mess, especially Lagos. it doesn't make any sense to me at all. The price of a piece of land in VGC is around 270Million meanwhile that is the same amount as the price of a Fully Furnished Duplex in Manchester UK when converted to pounds. UK has minimum wage of around 1,536P while Nigeria is 30,000 Naira. A decent 2 bedroom flat in Lagos cost around 50M for Island & 30M for mainland with no mortgage options. Imagine if my salary was 500k Naira, which is a big salary in Nigeria. It would take me almost 20 years to save 50 Million.

The choice of buying land & building house is another problem, most of the affordable land you will find are inside the bush along Redeem camp road & very dangerous. Then Land Grabbers will come and beat your workers like crazy during development.

I love Nigeria oh, but the real estate we have is a total nonsense. No regulations, nothing. Infact it is a major reason to why Nigerians are poor.
Check well. It's money laundering fueling those estates springing up all around Lekki and environs.

6 Likes

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by t2luv1: 6:23pm On Nov 05, 2022
Creamcrest:

Sharrap, Nigeria is not nearing collapse,it's still one of the best countries on earth.

Nigerians in Canada and America are even complaining of not being able to build wealth.

Shootings and gun violence also happens in America and Canada.

Some Nigerians here have 24hrs power using inverters and solar.

Most Nigerians can easily build their houses while you niggas in canada and US will be paying for mortgages for several years.

You can build wealth depending on how you define wealth. I left Nigeria when I was 19 right after I finished high school and was waiting for my JAMB result. If you are willing to put in the work the sky is the limit to whatever you can achieve in this land of Milk and honey we call the USA. My house is fully paid for and I have been working from my own house going on over 5 years and making six figures. My two boys are all grown up and living on their own with their families. This summer went on a seven days cruise of the Mediterranean with my wife. So tell me again how you define wealth. No bad for someone from Odesa in Ijebu Ode. Eweso !!!!

6 Likes

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by meedoLock(m): 6:23pm On Nov 05, 2022
Munamoqel:
correct suffering and smiling .that why you see must with Afro . 20 USD *4 week =80usd *800 =64k per month to Barb hair .like 2k daily for Najia

But there is a very high human capital indexes over there. There is work to do to finance ur bills, except if one is lazy.here you want to work to settle ur bills but human population is way over the available job and resources
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Damian10(m): 6:24pm On Nov 05, 2022
All i know is leaving Nigeria is a massive achievement, i rest my case
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Munamoqel: 6:24pm On Nov 05, 2022
atutupoyoyo2211:
Let me explain better. The college i work for, my starting hourly rate was $60 an hour ( Class contact hours). Our contract was reviewed a couple of months ago and the pay was reduced to $41/hour but we have no more than 20 class contact hours a week and 17.5 admin hours. That means i teach for only 20 hours and get paid for 37.5 hours a week. Marking students scripts doesn't take me time at all. The second college i work for is a private college so the pay is less. I get paid $35/hr, for 10 teaching hours. I also have 15 hours of admin time. So i teach for only 10 hours but get paid for 25 hours. All my courses are online for now, so i don't leave my house. i just got an offer from another public college to teach for only 5 hours a week at $80 an hour. So There may be an average pay, it doesn't mean everyone gets paid the average.
nice you be strong Man .you slave for the money with the number of hours . The standard and healthy work week is 40 hours per week .even if you dad the Nigeria Prof work in 3 University Nussuka ,covernat and Redeemer he will earn 2million per.month if him get strength

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Munamoqel: 6:25pm On Nov 05, 2022
Damian10:
All i know is leaving Nigeria is a massive achievement, i rest my case
for poor folks ! .

2 Likes

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Nobody: 6:27pm On Nov 05, 2022
Creamcrest:

Sharrap, Nigeria is not nearing collapse,it's still one of the best countries on earth.

Shootings and gun violence also happens in America and Canada.

Some Nigerians here have 24hrs power using inverters and solar.

Most Nigerians can easily build their houses while you niggas in canada and US will be paying for mortgages for several years.
Why are you deceiving yourself? Is it because you have no such money to migrate?
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by atutupoyoyo2211: 6:28pm On Nov 05, 2022
I hope you read what i wrote well. I said now, combined i teach 30 hours a week. When i start my new job, i will be teach 36 hours a week. All the other time is admin hours aka, free time.
Munamoqel:
nice you be strong Man .you slave for the money with the number of hours . The standard and healthy work week is 40 hours per week .even if you dad the Nigeria Prof work in 3 University Nussuka ,covernat and Redeemer he will earn 2million per.month if him get strength
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Nobody: 6:30pm On Nov 05, 2022
Primusinterpares:
Imagine legitimately investing 15million here in 9ja. If we'll managed that could grow to something Huge in the nearest future.
With Nigeria hailing and unpredictable economy, any million invested could be drained without you being able to explain how it left? Be warned!

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by LilVast1(m): 6:34pm On Nov 05, 2022
Munamoqel:
there is no peace of mind when a simple hair cut is going for 20usd ,pako house 1500usd per month . Inside temperature of freezer .that you need heat to stay alive .that already a nightmare .

Bro just dey pray make dem no kidnap you or any member of your family
Then you go know say this country is not safe anymore

E be like say you don forget how they went to kill people for church in Ondo state months ago

I can relocate anywhere as far as safety is guaranteed

I have a bro who graduated from Lautech in 2013, he no see job, he went to UI for masters
Na still the same thing
Na September egbon japa, even if na $1k he dey make monthly e still pay

You’re only saying all these cos you’re probably partially affected
Bro.

3 Likes

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Nchenches: 6:34pm On Nov 05, 2022
gaby:
I've stated it here on numerous occasions that by the second year of the next administration, a Dollar will exchange for close to #2,000. Maybe by then, you'd understand what's fuelling the japa syndrome.

The country had been murdered from the inception, the funeral arrangements is what's currently ongoing.

The country was murdered by the group scheming for Nigeria to become an Islamic Republic of Nigeria to be governed with Sharia criminal laws.
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Satazaa: 6:35pm On Nov 05, 2022
Bksense:

How is Nigeria nearing it's ruin to be honest? Gun violence and kidnapping happen in USA everyday. But you won't talk about that due to White worshipping..but you people wish bad things happen to Nigeria and her people everyday so you'll be able to justify your Japa and tell them "we warned you". Why can't you people Just accept the fact that not everyone want to come And live a lonely and boring life abroad Just because of 24hrs light which you pay for with your nose anyways , and McDonald Job of $1500 per month. The money you earn over there doesn't even find you that boost until you convert it to naira in your head just to validate yourself and say ",I'm earning more than a professor in Nigeria". This is a trend I see Among you people.

And you can call me broke because I live in Nigeria. Since you can't even know whether I'm more satisfied and contented with my life or not

Thanks
good bro, and added to that is that you put up with punishing tax payment that makes nonsense of your pay and you are just making enough to make ends meet, let me tell you all those guys that send money to naija are either into fraud or if you work legitimately you have to starve yourself to be able to send money home, how many people in naija do you see doing odd jobs in three places just to survive, haba, if you have capital stay in naija, make money buy your comfort, use solar, use strong SUV, get nannies, dig your borehole etc I have seen countless guys travel and come back to naija only to meet thier old friends living in thier homes with other properties as rent, and they are like WOW UNBELIEVABLE undecided
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Primusinterpares(m): 6:37pm On Nov 05, 2022
Munamoqel:
he looking at the bigger picture ! Long term prospect and prosperity of his family .
Interesting. I wish him well.
Make oluwa run am for us all.
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by EmmaLege: 6:37pm On Nov 05, 2022
Helpout12345:
Honestly, it's 100pct worth it if you are going with Permanent Residency. You get to settle on time economically in your destination.

If you are relocating through student route, it's largely going to worth it if you do your research very well and understand how to plan your way to permanent residency at your destination in the shortest possible time.

If you are going on a visit visa, to become illegal afterwards, it's not worth it at all except your life is not meaningful in Nigeria.

Whatever you decide, let me end it with my usual assertion. "A Cat in Nigeria cannot become a Lion overseas, and a Lion in Nigeria will not become a Cat either overseas.

You know yourself, capabilities etc. Research your destination and set your expectations accordingly.

Good luck !

Well said my bro kiss
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by nedekid: 6:40pm On Nov 05, 2022
frozen70:

Traveling abroad is an investment that you will gain on the long run

But I prefer the father goes over there make money, set up building here then make arrangements for wife and children to be coming for vacation

As the children graduates they relocate there
Yeah, we all had pictures of red Ferrari on our wall as kids. But now we drive Toyota, Hondas. undecided
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Nchenches: 6:42pm On Nov 05, 2022
One clue: as you people from the south leave Nigeria, movemen of population from the north to the South occur to occupy the places you left. And these people moving down south from the north are mostly Jihadists.

2 Likes

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Coolgent(m): 6:44pm On Nov 05, 2022
Primusinterpares:
Which business one can do with such amount i.e 15m or 20m?
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Bestbeelieve: 6:44pm On Nov 05, 2022
those doing fine here are even asking themselves if they are normal with events around them undecided undecided abroad is not for everyone! have a serious plan and focus + prayer! but as a young man o! you have no business being in this mess! its designed to get the best brains out!!!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (43) (Reply)

Cost Of Living In Germany For Nigerians:5 Things To Know As A Student In Germany / The Interchange Julius Beger Is Constructing In Obosi, Anambra (Photos) / Present Condition Of The New Lagos Marcopolo BRT Bus.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.