Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,012 members, 7,814,454 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:09 PM

Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? (70107 Views)

Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement / How Safe Is Traveling By Road At Night From Lagos To Abuja / Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (43) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by bizzibodi(m): 5:38pm On Nov 05, 2022
frozen70:

Is alright

Imagine, you traveled out send 15 million Dollars for building an estate, put it on rent and enjoy the inflow of money
$15m from where,do dollars grow on trees?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Vulcan24(m): 5:39pm On Nov 05, 2022
I believe I will make it in Nigeria, I believed no matter how hard it gets, I will make it
If I was to be a white man I would have been born a white man
I will travel to gain experience but not live my life in another man's land or cos of hardship on my homeland

6 Likes

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Investigators: 5:41pm On Nov 05, 2022
Very important. Leave the country

4 Likes

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by meedoLock(m): 5:41pm On Nov 05, 2022
Honestly, there are more than one view to it. Rest of mind and comfort above every other things in life. But the reverse is the case for we Nigerians. Are we really comfortable with all the things around us?, are we enjoying anything dividends of democracy?; Do we get a good service for the direct/indirect taxes paid?. All of these are what triggers gross migration of people to these countries.

But on the other hand, rest of mind is not peculiar to any continent, there are violence every other places too. But the only thing I find odd about these developed country is that there are no room for rest as an immigrant, it is work, work, work and work like a clock. Here in Nigeria, you can work for some years and earn yourself some fortunes then retire, build a good home and enjoy ur fortune without stress. But not the same abroad. By the time you want to be resting, the bill is on running sporadically. Even the air they breath over there is not totally free. Lol but whatever work for everyone Sha.

7 Likes

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Munamoqel: 5:42pm On Nov 05, 2022
Naturalista:

Please connect me,I'm also an insurance agent.Abeg
which underwriter do you work with ? Do they cover petroluim product (GIT) ? What you rate? And what commission.
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by segcymoor(m): 5:42pm On Nov 05, 2022
ayandee:

That's life. One can't have it all. Yes, the cold can be very brutal and you have to dress yourself and the kids in layers. But I will rather pick the cold. It's bearable.
Insecurity, economic instability, weak institutions, poor system of education, epileptic power supply and a very weak passport are very unbearable. [b]It takes extra strength to live in Nigeria. A[/b]n elderly friend once said "Alagbara lo n gbe ni Nigeria ".

Yeah

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by segcymoor(m): 5:43pm On Nov 05, 2022
ayandee:

That's life. One can't have it all. Yes, the cold can be very brutal and you have to dress yourself and the kids in layers. But I will rather pick the cold. It's bearable.
Insecurity, economic instability, weak institutions, poor system of education, epileptic power supply and a very weak passport are very unbearable. [b]It takes extra strength to live in Nigeria. A[/b]n elderly friend once said "Alagbara lo n gbe ni Nigeria ".

Yeah
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by grandstar(m): 5:43pm On Nov 05, 2022
frozen70:

Traveling abroad is an investment that you will gain on the long run

But I prefer the father goes over there make money, set up building here then make arrangements for wife and children to be coming for vacation

As the children graduates they relocate there

Such long distance marriages aren't the best. It encourages adultery. Let's not pretend.

I know a guy who is based here and his family overseas. The man is a chronic womaniser. How do you know your wife too isn't cheating.

Also, there's the issue about kids. A father's love and firm hand is very necessarry for the children. You can't hug your child over the Internet.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by segcymoor(m): 5:43pm On Nov 05, 2022
ayandee:

Insecurity, economic instability, weak institutions, poor system of education, epileptic power supply and a very weak passport are very unbearable. [b]It takes extra strength to live in Nigeria. An elderly friend [/b]once said "Alagbara lo n gbe ni Nigeria ".

Yeah
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Nobody: 5:45pm On Nov 05, 2022
Creamcrest:

Sharrap, Nigeria is not nearing collapse,it's still one of the best countries on earth.

Nigerians in Canada and America are even complaining of not being able to build wealth.

Shootings and gun violence also happens in America and Canada.

Some Nigerians here have 24hrs power using inverters and solar.

Most Nigerians can easily build their houses while you niggas in canada and US will be paying for mortgages for several years.

Don't mind them. Na who nor get family members abroad na such person them dey deceive. I have 7 siblings abroad. Na only two get their own houses when them buy. The rest are still paying rent.

Though they all have good jobs but bills dey collect almost everything and they are complaining of too much workload. They wish they can accumulate wealth and retire the 9 to 5 type of life.

A month ago, a lady slept in the UK and didn't wake up. She died due to stress from work. If one can make money in Nigeria, life sweet for here pass abroad abeg.

As for me, I cannot relocate abroad, na only visit I dey visit.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by atutupoyoyo2211: 5:46pm On Nov 05, 2022
I am a Nigerian based In Canada. I dont think Nigeria is nearing collapse. I just feel people are just tired of putting in the same amount of work and not getting anything in return. My dad is a professor in Nigeria and has been in the university for 35 years. His monthly salary is about 500k naira a month. I am a instructor at a college in Canada, joined the college January this year. I make an equivalent of almost $8k a month after taxes. This is the problem with Nigeria. Once I get my PhD, I will be earning close to $15k a month. And I am 36 years, my dad is almost 70 years. This is the reason for Japa.

29 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by planetx: 5:47pm On Nov 05, 2022
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Munamoqel: 5:47pm On Nov 05, 2022
meedoLock:
Honestly, there are more than one view to it. Rest of mind and comfort above every other things in life. But the reverse is the case for we Nigerians. Are we really comfortable with all the things around us?, are we enjoying anything dividends of democracy?; Do we get a good service for the direct/indirect taxes paid?. All of these are what triggers gross migration of people to these countries.

But on the other hand, rest of mind is not peculiar to any continent, there are violence every other places too. But the only thing I find odd about these developed country is that there are no room for rest as an immigrant, it is work, work, work and work like a clock. Here in Nigeria, you can work for some years and earn yourself some fortunes then retire, build a good home and enjoy ur fortune without stress. But not the same abroad. By the time you want to be resting, the bill is on running sporadically. Even the air they breath over there is not totally free. Lol but whatever work for everyone Sha.
how you want rest when hair cut na 20 USD baby care na 500 USD , insurance na 200 USD to drive rent na 1500 USD . mortgage na 2k for 25 years .child support ,divorce litigation .IHS , park fee , University loans .the bese na endless ! But oyinbo don inherit houses from Papa so no morgagate or rent payment .that already 2k per month off .

2 Likes

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by SmartyPants(m): 5:48pm On Nov 05, 2022
frozen70:

Is alright

Imagine, you traveled out send 15 million Dollars for building an estate, put it on rent and enjoy the inflow of money

Na so e easy to find 15 million dollars abroad?

Lol.
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by tonyson010(m): 5:49pm On Nov 05, 2022
Creamcrest:

Sharrap, Nigeria is not nearing collapse,it's still one of the best countries on earth.

Nigerians in Canada and America are even complaining of not being able to build wealth.

Most Nigerians can easily build their houses while you niggas in canada and US will be paying for mortgages for several years.

the last paragraph is a dream.
building house now is very tough with the cost of things.

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Basiljoe: 5:50pm On Nov 05, 2022
Nigeria is an untapped gold mine.
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by bdon123(m): 5:50pm On Nov 05, 2022
[quote author=Creamcrest post=117994059]

U are ignorant.Why are educated people quiting their high paying jobs n leaving?Hunger is not letting u see d big picture.Truth is leaving a mansion for ur kids in abuja is close to giving ur kids a strong international passport.
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by lekonso: 5:52pm On Nov 05, 2022
Creamcrest:

Yes shootings and gun violence happen in those countries, but are the level of risk to lives and property the same in those countries compared to Nigeria?
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Munamoqel: 5:53pm On Nov 05, 2022
atutupoyoyo2211:
I am a Nigerian based In Canada. I dont think Nigeria is nearing collapse. I just feel people are just tired of putting in the same amount of work and not getting anything in return. My dad is a professor in Nigeria and has been in the university for 35 years. His monthly salary is about 500k naira a month. I am a instructor at a college in Canada, joined the college January this year. I make an equivalent of almost $8k a month after taxes. This is the problem with Nigeria. Once I get my PhD, I will be earning close to $15k a month. And I am 36 years, my dad is almost 70 years. This is the reason for Japa.
at 15k per month you are among the top 1 percent in Canada ! The starting salary is around 40 k . You dey teach astrophysics ? You Dad enjoyed tution free University education and propably stays in University accomodations free .plus free water , security and electricity all provided by the University community . You probably attend staff school free and you dad is allocated University car with a driver attached . This will not happen in Canada . As a Prof he will be carrying is liabilities on his shoulder .

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by meedoLock(m): 5:54pm On Nov 05, 2022
Munamoqel:
how you want rest when hair cut na 20 USD baby care na 500 USD , insurance na 200 USD to drive rent na 1500 USD . mortgage na 2k for 25 years .child support ,divorce litigation .IHS , park fee , University loans .the bese na endless ! But oyinbo don inherit houses from Papa so no morgagate or rent payment .that already 2k per month off .

Where is the lie? The first couple of months a friend of mine arrived in Manchester last year, I saw him grow large bares, but this is unlike him. This is a person who doesn't play with shaving every 5days back in Naija. During video chat, he told me the barbing fee, I couldn't even convert it to our ridiculous naira. I just dey make jest of him.

2 Likes

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Lionnation: 5:55pm On Nov 05, 2022
Southerners relocating in their numbers, northerners are largely present in their numbers to vote their own into power,

2 Likes

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Munamoqel: 5:58pm On Nov 05, 2022
atutupoyoyo2211:
don't be mislead this the salaries in Canada.The average academic salary in Canada is $62,810 per year or $32.21 per hour. Entry-level positions start at $49,967 per year, while most experienced workers make up to $107,848 per year

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Iamzik: 5:58pm On Nov 05, 2022
kodred:

Sure he will. He will immediately start work from the cradle earning 400k usd yearly, saving 200k and retire by age 75/76.

grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by grandstar(m): 6:00pm On Nov 05, 2022
Creamcrest:

Oga, calm dowm

Different strokes for different folks.

I was never one to think of fleeing but when you can't even make a $20 payment with your debit card, you know there's a problem. Last year, I could not start an online business that could be getting eating me about $10,000 monthly because our cards were no longer compatible with PayPal..

Recently,i wanted to make a series of payments online for a business that would be generating me millions online but proved abortive. It was simply because I had no means to make a $75 paymemt online. This is a microcosm of why people are fleeing. If you can't even undertake the simplest of economic activity, how muchore bigger things.

The Naira is 840.i changes an d dollar bill on Thursday for 80, 000. If it was new, it would have been 83,000. The free fall of the Naira when the price is quite shows the level of economic incompetence of Buhari and Emefiele.

Apart from the economy, the level of kidnapping by Fulani is scary and they are very cruel. I am to travel to Ondo soon from Lagos and I am very worried.

2 Likes

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Munamoqel: 6:01pm On Nov 05, 2022
meedoLock:

Where is the lie? The first couple of months a friend of mine arrived in Manchester last year, I saw him grow large bares, but this is unlike him. This is a person who doesn't play with shaving every 5days back in Naija. During video chat, he told me the barbing fee, I couldn't even convert it to our ridiculous naira. I just dey make jest of him.
correct suffering and smiling .that why you see must with Afro . 20 USD *4 week =80usd *800 =64k per month to Barb hair .like 2k daily for Najia

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by olalekan9320(m): 6:01pm On Nov 05, 2022
meedoLock:

It's depends on your abroad, it's very possible but people don't want to retire because of the cold not because they can't afford it
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Localordinary: 6:05pm On Nov 05, 2022
My dear brother, even if you don't wish to relocate abroad, try to relocate because of the future of your children, so that they don't start to blame you so early.

Bksense:

How is Nigeria nearing it's ruin to be honest? Gun violence and kidnapping happen in USA everyday. But you won't talk about that due to White worshipping..but you people wish bad things happen to Nigeria and her people everyday so you'll be able to justify your Japa and tell them "we warned you". Why can't you people Just accept the fact that not everyone want to come And live a lonely and boring life abroad Just because of 24hrs light which you pay for with your nose anyways , and McDonald Job of $1500 per month. The money you earn over there doesn't even find you that boost until you convert it to naira in your head just to validate yourself and say ",I'm earning more than a professor in Nigeria". This is a trend I see Among you people.

And you can call me broke because I live in Nigeria. Since you can't even know whether I'm more satisfied and contented with my life or not

Thanks
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by seanwilliam(m): 6:05pm On Nov 05, 2022
frozen70:

Is alright

which Nigerian in diaspora has 15m$ cheesy

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Enumerator(m): 6:06pm On Nov 05, 2022
cheesy
gaby:
I've stated it here on numerous occasions that by the second year of the next administration, a Dollar will exchange for close to #2,000. Maybe by then, you'd understand what's fuelling the japa syndrome.

The country had been murdered from the inception, the funeral arrangements is what's currently ongoing.
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by bizzibodi(m): 6:07pm On Nov 05, 2022
People Japa because every thing is mess up,getting from bad to rotten,as a poorman you be kidnapped or mobbed for just walking on the street,taking a wrong turn, you can't even enter bush to farm for fear of killer herdsmen or skullminers.
High inflation,high cost of food, inhumanity,poor health services, incompetent greedy leaders,
Corrupt looters are above the law,living large & robbing it in our faces...we can't even breath.
Even the useless naira we don't see it,why the vampires are hoarding it in pits,holes,soakway to be eaten by maggots.
If we have a good patriotic, incorrigible leaders, working laws & institutions,steady electricity, adequate security nigeria would have been the best country to live.

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by maxlo: 6:07pm On Nov 05, 2022
If you earn half of what you earn here abroad, you will live a better life. What they sell abroad 10yrs ago is still the same price. Today we don't know the price of goods in naija. Fuel now na cocaine. Abeg if you get opportunity japa
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by osazuwa23: 6:07pm On Nov 05, 2022
or he can face black killing black in america or racisim
dawnomike:
Just think about it, you can be wealthy in Nigeria and get kidnapped for ransom or get killed by a mumu police officer
That alone is worth leaving the country for

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (43) (Reply)

The Interchange Julius Beger Is Constructing In Obosi, Anambra (Photos) / Present Condition Of The New Lagos Marcopolo BRT Bus. / The Real Story About The Nigerian Woman Deported From Germany With Her 3 Kids

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.