Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,146 members, 7,811,223 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:59 AM

The Folly In Atheism - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Folly In Atheism (2505 Views)

From Nihilist To Pastor & Theologian: How Dr. Greg Boyd Lost Faith In Atheism / Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? / Atheism By Definition Is Problematic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Folly In Atheism by triplechoice(m): 3:11pm On Nov 17, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

He did not missaply it, the story is designed to catch people like you.

To catch me and use me for pepper soup?

You didn't bother to read my response ,but just reacted emotionally ,apparently due to cognitive dissonance.

If you want to succeed in convincing other people who don't believe in what you believe, then make sure you understand first, how they think, so that you can easily put yourself in their position and from there judge if what you're going to tell them would be convincing.

I only gave him a feedback to help him rethink what he has concluded using that story

But , unfortunately just like you,he is not willing to see things from the perspective of his audience and just assume that his submission from the story must make sense to everyone who reads it .

There's a local saying that" my Mama soup naim sweet pass" ; My mother's soup is the sweetest

If you refuse to taste the soup of others (see things from the other person's perspective ) , how would you know that your mama soup is the sweetest?

I am not an atheist and not against you practicing your religion. I only highlighted what I find wrong in the op's submission.
Re: The Folly In Atheism by Dtruthspeaker: 4:53pm On Nov 17, 2022
triplechoice:
..But , unfortunately just like you,he is not willing to see things from the perspective of his audience and just assume that his submission from the story must make sense to everyone who reads it ....

That is trap which caught you. The story is designed to reveal the perspectives of its readers.
Re: The Folly In Atheism by Dtruthspeaker: 5:05pm On Nov 17, 2022
LordReed:

I said produce the dictionary meaning that says so, not interested in stories.

Everyone already knows these things including you, even if you are exercising your power of playing ignorance.
Re: The Folly In Atheism by LordReed(m): 5:08pm On Nov 17, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

Everyone already knows these things including you, even if you are exercising your power of playing ignorance.

LoLz. So freaking weak.

1 Like

Re: The Folly In Atheism by Dtruthspeaker: 5:28pm On Nov 17, 2022
LordReed:

LoLz. So freaking weak.

Because you say no thing, so no need to waste strength.
Re: The Folly In Atheism by triplechoice(m): 5:38pm On Nov 17, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

That is trap which caught you. The story is designed to reveal the perspectives of its readers.

Then prove that you know how the targeted audience think, without projecting because that's what you're known for doing here and it's exactly what you have just done.
Re: The Folly In Atheism by Dtruthspeaker: 5:47pm On Nov 17, 2022
triplechoice:

Then prove that you know how the targeted audience think, without projecting because that's what you're known for doing here and it's exactly what you have just done.

There is nothing to prove. Like you, by their speech (posts) we know them.
Re: The Folly In Atheism by triplechoice(m): 6:05pm On Nov 17, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

There is nothing to prove. Like you, by their speech (posts) we know them.

Balderdash

1 Like

Re: The Folly In Atheism by HisSplendor: 8:21am On Nov 18, 2022
triplechoice:

What is the meaning of the word imaginary?

Try to know the meaning first before asking for prove

You're not asked to prove the word. You made an assertion with all authority. It's the assertion that needs to be proven.
Re: The Folly In Atheism by Maynman: 8:22am On Nov 18, 2022
HisSplendor:

You're not asked to prove the word. You made an assertion with all authority. It's the assertion that needs to be proven.

The assertion that your religion heaven and hell exists needs to be proven then?

2 Likes

Re: The Folly In Atheism by hopefulLandlord: 8:54am On Nov 18, 2022
Maynman:

The assertion that your religion heaven and hell exists needs to be proven then?
You dey give am woto woto

2 Likes

Re: The Folly In Atheism by HisSplendor: 9:35am On Nov 18, 2022
Maynman:

I was the first to ask for proofs.
Re: The Folly In Atheism by Maynman: 9:41am On Nov 18, 2022
HisSplendor:

I was the first to ask for proofs.
You were the first to make assertions without PROVING it, yet you are asking for proofs when someone also made an assertion.

Is that not hypocrisy?

1 Like

Re: The Folly In Atheism by HisSplendor: 9:55am On Nov 18, 2022
Maynman:

You were the first to make assertions without PROVING it, yet you are asking for proofs when someone also made an assertion.

Is that not hypocrisy?

I didn't make any assertion. I only told a story.

I then said, "if in case there's a God out there..." Or did you read otherwise?

He came to say categorically that heaven is an imaginary place. Shouldn't be prove it?
Re: The Folly In Atheism by Maynman: 10:02am On Nov 18, 2022
HisSplendor:

I didn't make any assertion. I only told a story.

I then said, "if in case there's a God out there..." Or did you read otherwise?

He came to say categorically that heaven is an imaginary place. Shouldn't be prove it?
Which of the gods is out there? Brahma?

Shouldn’t you first prove that heaven is real too?
If you are asking me to prove that flying tortoise is imaginary, shouldn’t you first prove that they exist?

How can you prove a negative?

1 Like

Re: The Folly In Atheism by HisSplendor: 10:17am On Nov 18, 2022
Maynman:

Which of the gods is out there? Brahma?

Shouldn’t you first prove that heaven is real too?
If you are asking me to prove that flying tortoise is imaginary, shouldn’t you first prove that they exist?

How can you prove a negative?

Since I've not yet asserted anything, those who assert must prove their assertion.
Re: The Folly In Atheism by triplechoice(m): 10:18am On Nov 18, 2022
HisSplendor:

Don't run away from what you started.

If you think something is real or might exist and have not found any single evidence for it, then what you think only exist as a thought in your head and the heads of those who also think like you.

This is what it means for something to be imaginary, and that was why I asserted confidently that your heaven only exist as imagination.

The key thing here is evidence. Don't ever make the mistake of ignoring that, if not you would accept as truth any nonsense anybody tells you and end up confused .

And evidence doesn't always have to be scientific evidence, but at least something that can help others to validate your claim.

You're the one, not me, who has to prove that your claims are true or worth considering by providing any kind of evidence that can help to convince your followers.

Untill you do that, your heaven only exist as a thought in your head.

1 Like

Re: The Folly In Atheism by Maynman: 10:18am On Nov 18, 2022
HisSplendor:

Since I've not yet asserted anything, those who assert must prove their assertion.

Flying tortoise is imaginary.

Re: The Folly In Atheism by HisSplendor: 10:22am On Nov 18, 2022
Maynman:

Flying tortoise is imaginary.

Would you prove or you wouldn't?
Re: The Folly In Atheism by Maynman: 10:24am On Nov 18, 2022
HisSplendor:

Would you prove or you wouldn't?

Do you believe flying tortoise exist?
Re: The Folly In Atheism by HisSplendor: 10:30am On Nov 18, 2022
triplechoice:

Don't run away from what you started.

If you think something is real or might exist and have not found any single evidence for it, then what you think only exist as a thought in your head and the heads of those who also think like you.

This is what it means for something to be imaginary, and that was why I asserted confidently that your heaven only exist as imagination.

The key thing here is evidence. Don't ever make the mistake of ignoring that, if not you would accept as truth any nonsense anybody tells you and end up confused .

And evidence doesn't always have to be scientific evidence, but at least something that can help others to validate your claim.

You're the one, not me, who has to prove that your claims are true or worth considering by providing any kind of evidence that can help to convince your followers.

Untill you do that, your heaven only exist as a thought in your head.

You see, I never waited for anyone to prove anything to me. My own life is my own responsibility.

I searched for proofs and I found. It's foolish never to search and yet make unverified assertions.
Re: The Folly In Atheism by Maynman: 10:33am On Nov 18, 2022
HisSplendor:

You see, I never waited for anyone to prove anything to me. My own life is my own responsibility.

I searched for proofs and I found. It's foolish never to search and yet make unverified assertions.

Post the proofs.

Re: The Folly In Atheism by triplechoice(m): 11:14am On Nov 18, 2022
HisSplendor:

You don't need to expressly state something before people can conclude that you have declared something. That's called deductive reasoning.

You can't hide behind "I didn't assert anything" when you obviously did.

You have made your readers understand that there's a place people go to after death, which in Christianity is heaven, but what you're not sure of, is what they would find there, and so the advice they buy"a red cap" Is that not so?

If there's no such destination, and you didn't assert it, why already celebrating that believers are wiser and others stupid. You composed something you don't even understand.

The men in the story where set for a journey to distant land, and if there is no such destination in the first, is it not madness to buy a cap? Why should they buy a red cap if they are going nowhere?

Please answer me?

I have not rejected any God represented by the king in your story, but the destination, which in Christianity is heaven. Or where else are they expected to meet the king?

You just made a vague statement of having found evidence for something without mentioning what for. Is it for heaven or God?

Don't confuse yourself. I am not in a position to prove anything to you. You declared something to be true ,but now denying it .Maybe you don't even understand your own op

1 Like

Re: The Folly In Atheism by HisSplendor: 11:17am On Nov 18, 2022
Maynman:

Post the proofs.

Why don't you take responsibility like I did, and find proofs for yourself?
Re: The Folly In Atheism by Maynman: 11:18am On Nov 18, 2022
HisSplendor:

Are your own “proofs” subjective?

1 Like

Re: The Folly In Atheism by HisSplendor: 11:21am On Nov 18, 2022
triplechoice:

You don't need to expressly state something before people can conclude that you have declared something. That's called deductive reasoning.

You can't hide behind "I didn't assert anything" when you obviously did.

You have made our readers understand that there's a place people go to after death, which in Christianity is heaven, but what you're not sure of, is what they would find there, and so the advice they buy"a red cap" Is that not so?

If there's no such destination, and you didn't assert it, why already celebrating that believers are wiser and others stupid. You composed something you don't even understand.

The men in the story where set for a journey to distant land, and if there is no such destination in the first, is it not madness to buy a cap? Why should they buy a red cap if they are going nowhere?

Please answer me?

I have not rejected any God represented by the king in your story, but the destination, which in Christianity is heaven. Or where else are they expected to meet the king?

You just made a vague statement of having found evidence for something without mentioning what for. Is it for heaven or God?

Don't confuse yourself. I am not in a position to prove anything to you. You declared something to be true ,but now denying it .Maybe you don't even understand your own op

Even in many cases, deductions could be wrong.

I said "if in case, there's a God out there..." Now tell me how you deduced an assertion in that 'If'?

Would you now prove your assertion?
Re: The Folly In Atheism by triplechoice(m): 11:23am On Nov 18, 2022
HisSplendor:

Proofs for what?
Why don't you answer that first?
Re: The Folly In Atheism by HisSplendor: 11:27am On Nov 18, 2022
triplechoice:

Proofs for what?
Why don't you answer that first?

We're talking about an abstract and intangible realm that's fully open to research. Meanwhile, it's also an experiential and relational realm very individualistic in nature.

Find your own proofs because I'm not responsible for your life.

And if you can't make the research, then keep on affirming your unverified claims if that's the wisest decision you can make.
Re: The Folly In Atheism by triplechoice(m): 11:28am On Nov 18, 2022
HisSplendor:

Even in many cases, deductions could be wrong.

I said "if in case, there's a God out there..." Now tell me how you deduced an assertion in that 'If'?

Would you now prove your assertion?

Please show my where I contested" if there's a God out there"?

Is heaven the name of your God? I only said heaven is imaginary and I have explained what I meant to prove you're imagining it, the destination.
Re: The Folly In Atheism by Maynman: 11:29am On Nov 18, 2022
HisSplendor:

We're talking about an abstract and intangible realm that's fully open to research. Meanwhile, it's also an experiential and relational realm very individualistic in nature.

Find your own proofs because I'm not responsible for your life.

And if you can't take the research, then keep on affirming your unverified claims if that's the wisest decision you can make.
I don’t think you know the definition of “proof”.

If you eat rice and you get stomach ache, that’s not proof that rice causes stomach ache.

Re: The Folly In Atheism by HisSplendor: 11:36am On Nov 18, 2022
Maynman:

I don’t think you know the definition of “proof”.

If you eat rice and you get stomach ache, that’s not proof that rice causes stomach ache.

But that's proof that stomach pain exists when the experience is distributed amongst a sizeable number of people in every generation.
Re: The Folly In Atheism by Maynman: 11:40am On Nov 18, 2022
HisSplendor:

But that's proof that stomach pain exists when the experience is distributed amongst a sizeable number of people in every generation.

Read again slowly: If you eat rice and you get stomach ache, that’s not proof that rice causes stomach ache.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Law Is The Power And Strength Of Sin In Your Life / Is It Wise To Pay Tithe From Monthly Pension? / Book Of Proverbs (Don't let her capture you with her eyelids)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.