Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,408 members, 7,822,885 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:42 PM

My Mother Wants Me To Rent My Own House - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Mother Wants Me To Rent My Own House (29757 Views)

Should I Pack My parents Out Or Go To Rent My Own House? / Mother Wants Her Daughter To Quit Marriage Because Of This / My Mother Wants To Remarry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Mother Wants Me To Rent My Own House by MrBONE2(m): 3:58pm On Nov 18, 2022
VictorDivine:
use her for rituals.

Mods, I hope you are all watching grin
Re: My Mother Wants Me To Rent My Own House by Rubbiish(m): 3:59pm On Nov 18, 2022
Incredible128:
The people here are wicked, which kind of mother do u have? That's very unthoughtful of her considering how harsh the economy is and who the hell pushes a 20year old out of the house?
I tire o
I was very surprised seeing all the above comments saying a 20 year old should move out till I came across ur comment. This is how they promote crime. How do they expect a 20 years old to fend for himself. How many of them left home at 20

2 Likes

Re: My Mother Wants Me To Rent My Own House by Rubbiish(m): 4:01pm On Nov 18, 2022
Romanoff:
If you are treating your mother well doing chores around the house, supporting her in paying bills, she wouldn't be so eager for you to leave at 20 so start telling the truth.
What bills do u expect a 20 years old to pay?
That is the responsibility of his parents
This is how u people subconsciously push kids to crime

1 Like

Re: My Mother Wants Me To Rent My Own House by MrBONE2(m): 4:02pm On Nov 18, 2022
GolDRoger:

Where's your father?

Before I talk wetin they my mind.
Your guess is as good as mine
grin
Re: My Mother Wants Me To Rent My Own House by rickleye: 4:03pm On Nov 18, 2022
Greattestman:
This issue has been eating me up for so long and i don't know what to do. My mother began pressurizing me to rent my own house and leave her alone.

It was unprecedented and i don't expect that from her. I'm barely 20 and I teach in a private school. I also do home lessons so my monthly income ranges from 25k to 30k or thereabout.

This money will not be enough for me to rent a house, buy my food and take care of myself. I have tried to explain but she refused to understand with me. She told her friends to advice me to leave; that I'm matured enough to live alone.

I'm pressed and I need your advice.

What she is saying is that you have to start paying her for some services.
So out of your 25K. Give her 10K ( You get free laundry, free food, free accommodation)

It seems you have not been appreciative or giving back.

1 Like

Re: My Mother Wants Me To Rent My Own House by RZArecta(m): 4:03pm On Nov 18, 2022
Greattestman:
This issue has been eating me up for so long and i don't know what to do. My mother began pressurizing me to rent my own house and leave her alone.

It was unprecedented and i don't expect that from her. I'm barely 20 and I teach in a private school. I also do home lessons so my monthly income ranges from 25k to 30k or thereabout.

This money will not be enough for me to rent a house, buy my food and take care of myself. I have tried to explain but she refused to understand with me. She told her friends to advice me to leave; that I'm matured enough to live alone.

good idea. She should pay the first rent and support you with other stuff like bed and stove with two pots, you will hustle the rest. It will teach you to save and expand your earning potential. It's hard but you will survive
Re: My Mother Wants Me To Rent My Own House by Akunatakasi(m): 4:04pm On Nov 18, 2022
Richy4:

I understand my brother... but people share apartments... split bills everyday... I'm glad that Nigeria is not like abroad where both the rich and the poor buys at the same grocery store...

As for motherly care, my brother, As I old like this, If I tell u say I no need motherly care(not wifely care)I dey lie smiley

Oga stay one place abeg... You should advice the young man to complete his education..
Re: My Mother Wants Me To Rent My Own House by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 4:04pm On Nov 18, 2022
At 20? With how much salary? Heck, you are still very young and need some vigilance/supervision. How does she want you to cope and pay rent and other miscellaneous bills on such expenditures?

You had better disregard those people telling you to take the bull by the horn and become independent against your wish. It's all bunkum. You need stable finances to be independent fully. With your salary, you can barely do much. Your mom is not futuristic-thinking and thoughtful at all. I will always say this, parents should be intentional about parenting in all aspects of it. A good parent will not do this.

She wants you to assume responsibility, but it's too early to be all that. You can be responsible without living all by yourself and that's if you have been a good son and also been self-reliant. If you have, then your mom isn't nice. Sad.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Mother Wants Me To Rent My Own House by rickleye: 4:06pm On Nov 18, 2022
Rubbiish:

There are 2 sides to a story, a mum just doesnt ask child to move out. She said " leave me alone " which means
1. She had him young and has had to fend for child
2. He's earning money yet does not contribute anything to the house up keep.
3. Still asking her for minor expenses which he should be able to pay for himself.
Re: My Mother Wants Me To Rent My Own House by tuzle(m): 4:08pm On Nov 18, 2022
Emmex45:

See that your monthly salary is enough to take care of yourself if you plan well.
Except you day fear to stay alone.
30k enough for him? 30k * 12month is 360k now minus rent money every month, let say rent of 100k. That is 260k left for a year. The kind of hunger that will finish him.

1 Like

Re: My Mother Wants Me To Rent My Own House by Romanoff(f): 4:12pm On Nov 18, 2022
Rubbiish:

A 20 year old who has a job and lives at home should be paying bills.
Re: My Mother Wants Me To Rent My Own House by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 4:13pm On Nov 18, 2022
SmartyPants:

Man up bro. You are 20 and your mom owes you nothing more.

At best have a chat with her and ask her to give you a specific amount of time to raise the needed money.

Then don't eat in the house. Leave first thing in the morning and dont come back till late.

Double your hustle my man.

I beg to differ, please. Parents owe their kids everything until they die.

Proverbs 13:22: “A good man (parent) leaves an inheritance to his children.”

People should learn to hold parents accountable for their responsibilities. How do you expect someone with a paltry salary of 20,000N to lean on himself without depending on another? Let's stop trying to force kids to be adults against their wishes.

2 Likes

Re: My Mother Wants Me To Rent My Own House by ThatsONYI: 4:14pm On Nov 18, 2022
Greattestman:

shocked

I'm 20, too.

I stopped staying at home frequently, when I was 12 or so - I'm not proud of this, infact it still hurts. I never enjoyed my childhood.

I finally left home when I just turned 16 for some st*pid nwaboi apprenticeship, which stung me so hard because I did it - to please people. It wasn't my dream.

Now I'm 20 and I live alone, no girlfriend, no friend, just me. I haven't seen my momma for almost 5 years. What can I do? I guess, it's my destiny but after all these pains - I rather die rich or die trying.

Crazy thing is, I'm contemplating moving to Lagos if I don't reach my goal of saving up for a laptop and starting up some online business.

OP, you're old enough to live alone. I wouldn't interfere with the decision, you'd finally reach - it's your move.

1 Like

Re: My Mother Wants Me To Rent My Own House by emerged01(m): 4:14pm On Nov 18, 2022
At 18yrs you are responsible for your life. You need to get a friend to start with if you income cant get you a room.
When I wanted to leave my mother she refused. Until her pastor said it was a right decision that was when she accepted my decision.
Thank God for your mum that is willing to let you go. From what I have seen in life,I can boldly say the love of a mother can blind one but in your own case her love set you free to take responsibility for your life.
Re: My Mother Wants Me To Rent My Own House by Rubbiish(m): 4:15pm On Nov 18, 2022
rickleye:

There are 2 sides to a story, a mum just doesnt ask child to move out. She said " leave me alone " which means
1. She had him young and has had to fend for child
2. He's earning money yet does not contribute anything to the house up keep.
3. Still asking her for minor expenses which he should be able to pay for himself.
Where were u at 20?
At 20 this boy should be in school studying, not being pressured to assume the position of a breadwinner. He is still young!
These things u listed are no fault of the boy & the blame should not be shifted to the poor boy. He is not responsible for his mom having him early, him keeping his earnings at this age is very excusable. Pushing that boy out at this stage is very unfair. He deserve to be happy like every other kid his age in school out there.

1 Like

Re: My Mother Wants Me To Rent My Own House by SmartyPants(m): 4:16pm On Nov 18, 2022
UyaiIncomparabl:

I beg to differ, please. Parents owe their kids everything until they die.

Proverbs 13:22: “A good man (parent) leaves an inheritance to his children.”

People should learn to hold parents accountable for their responsibilities. How do you expect someone with a paltry salary of 20,000N to lean on himself without depending on another? Let's stop trying to force kids to be adults against their wishes.

Well you cant force any parent to feel that way. So since his own doesnt feel like that, he must adjust.

He'll be a stronger man for it.
Re: My Mother Wants Me To Rent My Own House by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 4:20pm On Nov 18, 2022
SmartyPants:

Well you cant force any parent to feel that way. So since his own doesnt feel like that, he must adjust.

Be realistic. How will that be possible on a paltry sum of 20K? How much will the rent be? Food? Miscellaneous bills? Adjust my foot.

2 Likes

Re: My Mother Wants Me To Rent My Own House by NovusHomo(m): 4:20pm On Nov 18, 2022
VictorDivine:
use her for rituals.

cheesy cheesy grin grin grin
Re: My Mother Wants Me To Rent My Own House by laiperi: 4:21pm On Nov 18, 2022
The op is not telling us everything and we should not expect him to.

Usually it is the father that tells a boy to leave. Moms are usually spoiler and protectors of their sons.

If you are already giving her half of your salary, that is encouraging.

The other thing I can think of is if you are in the way, between her and her partner.

20 years old is too young to push out without support. He should be in college.

1 Like

Re: My Mother Wants Me To Rent My Own House by Rubbiish(m): 4:22pm On Nov 18, 2022
Romanoff:

A 20 year old who has a job and lives at home should be paying bills.
What bills??
The parents are failing!
A 20 years old boy should be in school studying, any money he is making should be for his personal use, if he wishes to give to his parent fine, but he is not under any obligation to do so! African parents put too much expectation on their kids, reason crime rate is extremely high in this part of the world. Many of these kids into crime are as a result of pressure from parents, most especially mothers! Putting undue pressure on kids, comparing them with other children. A mother is already pushing a 20 years old to assume the position of a breadwinner & people are supporting it. In a country where adults with degrees are finding it difficult to stand.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Mother Wants Me To Rent My Own House by Lovestrong(m): 4:22pm On Nov 18, 2022
Lol! poverty die
Re: My Mother Wants Me To Rent My Own House by Rubbiish(m): 4:23pm On Nov 18, 2022
laiperi:
The op is not telling us everything and we should not expect him to.

Usually it is the father that tells a boy to leave. Moms are usually spoiler and protectors of their sons.

If you are already giving her half of your salary, that is encouraging.

The other thing I can think of is if you are in the way, between her and her partner.

20 years old is too young to push out without support. He should be in college.
Thank u!
Re: My Mother Wants Me To Rent My Own House by samuelson06(m): 4:25pm On Nov 18, 2022
Greattestman:

Your mom is tired of parenthood. She's just feeling overwhelmed about life. She's lost it as a parent.

I can only advise you to be focused with a strong determination to make it in life. Live responsibly and you will be fine. Naturally, you are not supposed to leave now because you barely know how to navigate life, but if you have to leave, just make sure you put your head down and live responsibly.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Mother Wants Me To Rent My Own House by KhingLufem1(m): 4:28pm On Nov 18, 2022
Well for me I like the mother concept

The only thing you can do is to tell her to give you some time let's say like two to three months and you can get a room along the line and start buying little stuff inside it while you stay with her.

Opinion
Re: My Mother Wants Me To Rent My Own House by Rubbiish(m): 4:29pm On Nov 18, 2022
UyaiIncomparabl:

Be realistic. How will that be possible on a paltry sum of 20K? How much will the rent be? Food? Miscellaneous bills? Adjust my foot.
That is how they force kids into crime
There is higher chances of that boy going into crime to survive once he moves out. Most parents don't give kids the necessary foundation they need to stand before moving out. What they are unable to do as adults, they expect a kid to do it
Re: My Mother Wants Me To Rent My Own House by Bobbiee: 4:29pm On Nov 18, 2022
Can't you contribute in the house? I know what's going on. She's the one bringing all the money for rent and bills and food while you spend your own money lavishly on clothes and ashawo. If you were living with roommates do you think you'd be able to live like this? Share your bills equally and you'd be respected in the house.

1 Like

Re: My Mother Wants Me To Rent My Own House by SmartyPants(m): 4:30pm On Nov 18, 2022
UyaiIncomparabl:

That's why i suggested he talk with her and make a plan. He can save up and leave and she may be more patient when she sees that he has plans. Abi is it until she changes the locks on him?

Many people have it far worse and they survive so this guy must take his life by the scruff of the neck and grow.

Now, would i do this to my kid? Never.

1 Like

Re: My Mother Wants Me To Rent My Own House by Obiorahpcfg: 4:31pm On Nov 18, 2022
Hmmm, she is not a good mother at all. She should even happy, you are not a wayward child. But on the other hand, see is as a challenge. Teaching job can never make you a successful person in this country. Look for company sales rep and hustle from der and God might divinely connect you to your destiny helper

1 Like

Re: My Mother Wants Me To Rent My Own House by Rubbiish(m): 4:32pm On Nov 18, 2022
MITCHELL96:
Pressure Nigerian mother's be putting on their kids to make money is something else.
Mothers are the number one cause why so many young boys are into fraud, girls into hookup, but they will never admit it. They put so much pressure on their kids, comparing them with others, subconsciously pushing children into crime, but they won't know

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Mother Wants Me To Rent My Own House by alimiadedayo1: 4:32pm On Nov 18, 2022
Incredible128:
The people here are wicked, which kind of mother do u have? That's very unthoughtful of her considering how harsh the economy is and who the hell pushes a 20year old out of the house?
God bless you dont mind those people saying rubbish.. it shows the kinda of wicked human being they are if the guy now later venture into Yahoo or ritual people will now be blaming the guy.. the mother is very wrong and Calous
Re: My Mother Wants Me To Rent My Own House by Romanoff(f): 4:33pm On Nov 18, 2022
Rubbiish:

What bills??
The parents are failing!
A 20 years old boy should be in school studying, any money he is making should be for his personal use, if he wishes to give to his parent fine, but he is not under any obligation to do so! African parents put too much expectation on their kids, reason crime rate is extremely high in this part of the world. Many of these kids into crime are as a result of pressure from parents, most especially mothers! Putting undue pressure on kids, comparing them with other children. A mother is already pushing a 20 years old to assume the position of a breadwinner & people are supporting it. In a country where adults with degrees are finding it difficult to stand.

Not every child will get a degree. Just know this. As long as you're earning money and living under your parent's roof, you should be able to contribute to the bills.

It's just the responsible thing to do.
Re: My Mother Wants Me To Rent My Own House by alimiadedayo1: 4:34pm On Nov 18, 2022
SmartyPants:

can you survive the pressure with 20k in a month

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Parents Storm Daughter's Home With Coffin Not Knowing She Faked Her Death / "Meet My 145-Year-Old Grandpa" - Ikenna Ofodile, Nigerian Man / Four Nigerian Siblings Graduate Same Day (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.