Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,369 members, 7,812,084 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:51 AM

How Necessary Is Marriage? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Necessary Is Marriage? (11948 Views)

Poll: Marriage is necessary in the Nigerian culture?

True: 88% (117 votes)
False: 11% (15 votes)
This poll has ended

Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? / Is Marriage An Achievement? / Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by wummyy(f): 2:28pm On Jan 21, 2008
marriage is very important oooooo,hum it gives u additional respect

1 Like

Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by Emad(f): 2:35pm On Jan 21, 2008
wummyy:

marriage is very important oooooo,hum it gives u additional respect

Point of correction, Marriage only gives you additional respect when you behave respectfully in the context of marriage.
If you are married and spend your time sleeping about you will not have any respect.

You can still command respect without marriage , it all just depends on how you carry yourself about.
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by bisiomo(f): 4:04pm On Jan 21, 2008
marriage is essential. the bible says he dt finds a wife findeth a good thing and obtaineth favour from the lord.the two shall become one,be fruitful and multiply and replenish d earth.
so ther for marrage is compulsory.
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by Emad(f): 4:58pm On Jan 21, 2008
sorry i donot agree
Marriage is a good thing, an important thing yes
BUt Essential , Compulsory , NO
I dont think so
Like i said before, happiness is Essential, Happiness is compulsory,
If you find it within marriage, GOOD
If you find it without, GOOD
When you are a happy person you love yourself and fins it easier to love others and the world.
So rather than be stuck in a marriage which makes u unhappy, better be single and happy.
There is nothing as bad as a disgruntled Wife or Husband to come across!!
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by macgozy(m): 5:12pm On Jan 21, 2008
Marriage is a sacred institution that needs 2 to make it work and seek the favour of God
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by kpomo123(m): 5:37pm On Jan 21, 2008
do u love God? if u do, remember that u haven't met him yet or even spent some physical time with him!!! So dont say u cant love at first sight!!! It has worked for some people and some are living happily too. What I am trying to say is that I think marriage is too complicated and that before we get into it, we should be really careful except if those vows are just for vow sake!!! I think most people get married cos thay are lonely and need companion but didnt really think about what marriage is all about.
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by mendax: 5:40pm On Jan 21, 2008
marriage is a sacred union between 2 or more blah blah

another definition:
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by dremoney(m): 8:39pm On Jan 21, 2008
laughs, marriage is compulsory, marriage is a divine order, marriage is necessary, its our societal measure of responsibilty,

all dis na story abeg, GUYZ please,if u dont have money, dnt even think about gettin married else u will either die b4 ur time or live the rest of ur life miserably.

NO LOVE WITHOUT MONEY OO!!! she can onli love b4 the kids come but afterwards na different ball game enitrely,

its actually in two ways, a lady with financial security personally wuldnt bother about a guyz money b4 marriage bt wil xpect sm improvement afta marriage, d one wit no security 4rm scratch wil xpect to see some motivating clues about d guyz future b4 jumpin in,

bottom line, TRUE LOVE doesnt exist, reality is wat we face dis dayz n live life d way it comes,

4 me, till i get d lady of my choice, make anybodi shout, maan i no send, nothing like marriage .
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by Nwaka77: 8:55pm On Jan 21, 2008
In Nigerian culture: Yes

In Western culture: No

It all depends on the individual. I have seen people who are married but yet are not happy. I have also come across people who are happily married. I have also come across singles who are leading a happy and fulfiling life, so it all depends. Marraige is not by force and people should NOT pressure other people who are not ready into it!
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by Etin(f): 11:44pm On Jan 21, 2008
@ Poster

How many unmarried people are happy? This is to let you know happiness can not be found outside of one's self. If you are happy and fulfilled in your single life you would attract the same kind of person and go on to have a good married life. On the other hand if you look to someone else to complete you, be you a man or woman. You would be very dissappointed and this is the point marriages start to crack. Marriage does not cure you of vices nor will it remedy lack of will power or discipline to effect positive changes in ones life. If anything it would magnify the short comings. Marriage has really got nothing to do with how happy you are or sad. Happy and sad people can be found among the married and unmarried.

On if we must all marry? my answer to that is what do you really want? Its your life live it. If we must die let it be for our own convictions and not one projected unto us.
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by Etin(f): 11:49pm On Jan 21, 2008
Emad:

Point of correction, Marriage only gives you additional respect when you behave respectfully in the context of marriage.
If you are married and spend your time sleeping about you will not have any respect.

You can still command respect without marriage , it all just depends on how you carry yourself about.

well said.

It would appear to me that money commands more respect so if respect is what its about just go for making money. Less hassle!!
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by mekaboy(m): 10:29am On Jan 22, 2008
Marriage is one word that scares me, Life in prisonment, and if u marry the wrong person, thats with hard labour. Abeg i still dey consider am ooo.
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by vanstanzy(m): 12:42pm On Jan 22, 2008
MEN!CAN U C HOW MANY BABES POSTED ON THIS TOPIC?I SUGGEST WE SHOULD TALK MORE ON THESE TOPICS. NOW TO BIZ! THE INSTITUTION CALLED MARRIAGE IS AS IMPORTANT AS "ALMIGHTY SAYS SO!" AM REALLY DOWN WITH THE INSTITUTION, BUT I JUST WISHED WE HUMANS WOULD STOP INSULTING IT AND INSULTING GOD AS WELL.
MARRIAGE IS ALL ABOUT TOLERANCE AND TOTAL COMMITMENT. TELL ME WHO PRACTICES IT THIS DAYS. TO MOST PEOPLE ESPECIALLY OUR CELEBRITIES, SORRY TO SAY, "MARRIAGE IS A FLING!"IT ISNT SUPPOSED TO BE SO. FOR BETTER FOR WORSE, THATS WHY PEOPLE ARE SUPPOSED TO CALL THE ALMIGHTY CREATOR TO HELP IN CHOOSING A LIFE PARTNER BE4 DELVING INTO SUCH AND MAKING A TOTAL MESS OF IT.
ALL HUMANS DIFFER FROM EACH OTHER AND ONLY GOD ON HIGH KNOWS ALL HIS CREATIONS INSIDE OUT.
BUT THE MOST ANNOYING IS THE FACT OF BEING UNFAITHFUL TO OUR PARTNERS. WE DECIDED TO MARRY 'EM, LET US STICK TO 'EM NO MATTER WHAT. WOMEN AND MEN ARE ROUNDLY GUILTY OF THIS,ESPECIALLY MEN!
ITS SO SADDENING!
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by dremoney(m): 12:52pm On Jan 22, 2008
Etin:

well said.

It would appear to me that money commands more respect so if respect is what its about just go for making money. Less hassle!!

undiluted truth from a female,, you 2much,

absolutely feel ya!!!!
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by babadee(m): 7:07pm On Jan 22, 2008
as neccessary as you make it to be
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by trueluva(f): 7:19pm On Jan 22, 2008
Marriage is vry imporant but if you are only getting married to be married then it is not going to last. But, if you are going to get married to be with that person then youare getting married for the right reason.
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by tatajega(m): 10:04pm On Jan 22, 2008
Ma brother, MARRAIGE IS ANECESSARY THING FOR EVERY READY PERSON, i bet you will enjoy every bit of it whle it lasts,
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by tosruyi(m): 1:42am On Jan 23, 2008
The idea of marriage being necessary really depends. NOBODY HAS TO GET MARRIED. It's all a matter or choice, Naija or not. In the bible, Paul the apostle confirms that it is not compulsory to get married. Remember, he himself was never married and he wrote a bunch load of the epistles.
Necessity of marriage has to do with the individual. If u love having a partner and you are a christian who wants want to abide by the teachings of the bible then I wld say marriage is a necesity for you.
I just believe that life is about choices; People should be free to choose as long as it does not negatively affect other people.
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by Emad(f): 8:10am On Jan 23, 2008
tosruyi:

The idea of marriage being necessary really depends. NOBODY HAS TO GET MARRIED. It's all a matter or choice, Naija or not. In the bible, Paul the apostle confirms that it is not compulsory to get married. Remember, he himself was never married and he wrote a bunch load of the epistles.
Necessity of marriage has to do with the individual. If u love having a partner and you are a christian who wants want to abide by the teachings of the bible then I would say marriage is a necesity for you.
I just believe that life is about choices; People should be free to choose as long as it does not negatively affect other people.

you could not have said it better
chose people but chose to be happy whatever way it comes !!
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by spicy007(f): 10:42am On Jan 23, 2008
WOW!!!
a lot of frank talk has been said for and against the issue of marriage.

i've seen hubbies that have done their 40th wedding anniversary and are still going strong, and i have seen those married for less than 5 years, and have just about had it.

I hope to get married some day, but what gets on my nerves is when pips start asking you " so, when are u inviting us to your own wedding?"

Secondary sch: face your studies and no boyfriends
University: face your studies and don't get pregnant
Post- Uni: get married to Mr. Right less than a year after school and have kids a year after.

let me use my life as a specimen

soceity expects me to:
- finish sec sch, pass WAEC and NECO and have at least 250 in JAMB, otherwise im a failure
- finish first class or at least 2.1 in a uni, otherwise, im unserious and unfocused
- get a job in Zenith or Chevron, otherwise im just one of the crowd
- get married, otherwise im just a corporate slut.
- have kids at most 3 years after marriage, otherwise im barren or have destroyed my womb through abortion
- have at least one  boy-child, otherwise i want to destroy my husband's lineage
- have a car to my name and be able to attend society parties, otherwise we don't belong to the elite class
- my kids must travel for summer hols, otherwise we are a wretched family
- etc etc
- i must kick the bucket, at most by age 90, for if im still alive at 120 and all my kids happen to be dead by then, im a WITCH!!!

from the time a Nigerian kid is born to the time it dies an old age, society dictates its every move, whether it pleases him or not,,, bliv me, it can be frustrating. and nobody seems to care how u feel about anything.

But when push comes to shove, thats when you find out that you are really On YOUR OWN!!!

Bottom line is this:
i will get married, WHEN i find a true friend whom i love, but who happens to love me more, warts and all.
But most definitely, not before that.

END OF DISCUSSION,

1 Like

Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by U1(m): 10:53am On Jan 23, 2008
Depending on where you stand. But for an agromental like me (no thanks to the scantily dressed ladies), I go marry o, the only thing wey fit stop me na if God talk say "My pikin, marriage no dey for you. cool grin
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by Cotton(m): 10:58am On Jan 23, 2008
U have warts? sad

Just kiddin' Seriously, marriage is one of the most overrated institution we have. Though desirable it is not necessary. The majority of marriages are contracted cos of peer or family pressure. At the end of the day, you have to bear your cross. I have not met a totally happy married couple, it is usually a case of compromise. A good friend of mine recently told me (2 days ago) that he hadn't slept with his wife since Nov!! I asked why, and he said she complained that he doesn't give her money-only for the kids. Now, my friend is doing well and last year he bought his wife a Bora. I honestly thought they were happy, but alas! Can you imagine?? Now of course my friends extra curricular activities has increased tempo. I had believed them to be happy 'cos they are always smiling with each other in public but he confided that it was all a show.

No rush go marry o! E no easy like that. I also have female friends whose experiences are not encouraging. They were all excited about being married but once there, they discover that not all that glitters is gold.

One must be very careful. As an earlier poster said, you should marry your friend. That might work.

1 Like

Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by MyJoe: 11:34am On Jan 23, 2008
Edit.
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by U1(m): 11:37am On Jan 23, 2008
sorry i donot agree
Marriage is a good thing, an important thing yes
BUt Essential , Compulsory , NO
I don't think so
Like i said before, happiness is Essential, Happiness is compulsory,
If you find it within marriage, GOOD
If you find it without, GOOD
When you are a happy person you love yourself and fins it easier to love others and the world.
So rather than be stuck in a marriage which makes u unhappy, better be single and happy.
There is nothing as bad as a disgruntled Wife or Husband to come across!!

Emad, body no be firewood, you don't mean to tell me that you can live your life without having sex. And you know that sex out of marriage is fornication, pure and simple!
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by U1(m): 11:39am On Jan 23, 2008
MyJoe:

Sorry, but I am a tad new to this. How do I go about posting a topic?

You have just done that.
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by MyJoe: 12:07pm On Jan 23, 2008
Edit
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by Etin(f): 1:13pm On Jan 23, 2008
@spicy007
Bottom line is this:
i will get married, WHEN i find a true friend whom i love, but who happens to love me more, warts and all.
But most definitely, not before that.

You got it just right. Like I will always say if you have to die for something let it be on your own convictions.
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by segunpc(m): 1:57pm On Jan 23, 2008
marriage is very very important o.

but the married ones scare me alot about it.

so am taking my time for allah to ve his way in my life.

so to ur question marriage is necessary.
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by kingsikaz(m): 2:43pm On Jan 23, 2008
Marriage is as important as one's eyes. two people coming 2gether as a result of MUTUAL UNDERSTANDING. marriage shouldn't be an end 2 lonliness.
       Marriage is Sacred. it is not a matter of compensating one's weakness. many use marriage as a mean of compensating their weaknesses n when d need cannot be met, there is divorce or problem. you need 2 work on your weaknesses befor getting married.
      Marriage should be based on d foundation of :

1. True Love- not feelings
                     2 Genuineness-  openness,  not pretense- no past secrets kept.
                     3 Mutual understanding
                     4 Acceptability
                     5 Companionship
                     6 Compatibility
                     7 Fulfilment

marriage is meant 2 be ENJOYED and not ENDURED. Both patners should be contributing parties.  
  D man must be able and capable. the woman must be " Soul- meet  for the Fulfilment of both parties' purpose on earth. she is not just an ordinary soul or help mate for sexual pleasures.

d period of courtship should  be a time of " Round -Table" discussion of both partners' VISION

VISION of a happy HOME ( NOT HOUSE) many have house, but not home
                             VISION of a brighter future
                             VISION of breaking through d ancient landmark into dere  promise land.
all these and many more ought 2 be ironed-out. but alas! many youngters or intending couples misuse and abuse d period for fun- catching unreasonably. not knowing fully well that "a day not well spent can turn a thousands joyful days into sorrow n mourning'

both partners  should be  VISIONER- they should be ( at least d man) carrier of contagious visions.  d woman should be OPEN-MINDED.

bEAUTY shouldn't be the yardstick of marriage. beauty is not OUTSIDE it is INSIDE. what you see outside is called BEAUTIFICATION. Try 2 dig down and see the HIDDEN TREASURES IN YOUR SPOUSE rather than the ephemeral fantasies.

marriage is not meant 4 boys or so called guys IT IS MEANT 4 REAL MEN.
          2 be a real man you must be RESPONSIBLE, DECISIVE, INTUITIVE, DISCERNING AND LOVING among others, not hanging around with  FOOLS.

IN marriage, 2 partners come in contact, either a BUILDER, OR A DESTROYER.   A PILLAR OR A CATERPILLAR.  A RECEIVEr OR A DECEIVER.        take note.

according to Napoleon Hill in his classic book THINK AND GROW RICH, he said 'History had shown that those men who made headway in lifetime or those who broke down had been influenced by their WIVES'. He called it  "MYSTERY OF SEX TRANSMUTATION"  this is a philosophy of life. men, it is very important.

this classic philosophy is known in today's sayings as ' behind a successfull man, there is a successful woman.     also  'a woman can either" make" or "mar" you( man).

marrige is not 4 kids, kids  but 4  real men.

sikaz4u@yahoo.com  08072705904.
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by dimpules: 2:47pm On Jan 23, 2008
unfortunately men think marriage is an achievement for the woman. Biblically, "He who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favour from God". "Woman submit yoyrself to your husband as is pleasing to the Lord. Husbands love your wife as Christ loved the church and gave himself for it. Love your wife as you love your own body".

Marriage was instituted by God to show His divine love for the church of Christ on earth. Unfortunately we humans have polluted it.

People do not want to work on their relationships. Rather they go out and start cheating forgetting that AS LONG AS THE EARTH REMAINS SEED TIME AND HARVEST TIME WILL NEVER CEASE. Sow bad seeds you reap bad. Life is a journey and they will be obstacles so i wonder why people expect marriage to be a bed of roses.

THE GRASS IS NOT GREENER ON THE OUTSIDE. IT IS GREENER WHERE YOU WATER IT.

Water your marriage and you will see how happy you will be!
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by Emad(f): 3:05pm On Jan 23, 2008
Dimpules

you sound like a man
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by dimpules: 3:15pm On Jan 23, 2008
It dont matter what i am. man or woman. Just trying to say that if you choose to marry then you have work to do. The man has to work on it and so does the woman.

Also trying to say that contrary to what men feel n say that marriage is an achievement for the woman it is the men who God says he will favour.

I do not agree with people saying they are in bad marriages so they began to see somewhere else. Then they blame it on their wives for pushing them to it. Its just a way to justify their wrong acts. Life is all about choices. God gave us the freedom to make choices. So if you cheat dont say its a woman or a bad marriage. You had a choice to make.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Help My Mother-inlaw Asked My Husband To Walk Out Of Our Marriage / What Can You Never Forgive Your Parent For? / You Need These Shoes In Your Collection

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.