Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,963 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:24 AM

How Necessary Is Marriage? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Necessary Is Marriage? (11945 Views)

Poll: Marriage is necessary in the Nigerian culture?

True: 88% (117 votes)
False: 11% (15 votes)
This poll has ended

Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? / Is Marriage An Achievement? / Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by dimpules: 3:17pm On Jan 23, 2008
PS. I am in no way condemning any one who cheats. Who am i? i am not a saint. Call a spade a spade
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by Emad(f): 3:25pm On Jan 23, 2008
hummmmmm i sorta agree withu
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by dimpules: 3:26pm On Jan 23, 2008
good for you. tongue
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by U1(m): 9:51am On Jan 24, 2008
I mean how to start a new thread?

@ MyJoe

I'm sorry MyJoe. To start a new topic, you go to the forum where you will like to post (e.g romance, jobs, politics, and so on). When you are there you should see something like start a new topic, click on that. Hope I've answered your question?
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by teena(f): 12:00pm On Jan 24, 2008
Some cases make most of us who are yet to marry get confused.
There is this uncle of mine, a young and rich man that I used to live with. He had a wife with two lovely kids; to everyone around he loves his wife and kids and can go to any lenght to make them happy. In fact we used to envy them in those days. The woman has a good character to make any man happy in marriage and the husband does not deny that.

To our greatest surprise, few years back, my uncle brought another girl to the house for marriage. This led to series of crisis in the house, so many of us objected to it yet the man had his way. We tried to inquire from him what was the wife's offence, he said she did nothing but that he just felt like having a second wife.

Just last year, he got a third wife. The first wife is still nice and submissive as she used to be and that is why we, the inlaws do not joke with her affairs. Notably, my uncle was the first and only man in that woman's life and they married when he was still trying to find his feet financially.

The reason why my uncle chose to indulge in this polygamy is still a mystery to all of us. Moreso he still show love and respect to the first wife and takes good care of her and the kids.

What's marriage turning into? undecided
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by dimpules: 1:45pm On Jan 24, 2008
The question is How necessary is marriage?

I think it is a choice we have to make. it is not by force and not a do or die thing.

If you marry the society respects you more, if you dont esp for ladies there will say something is wrong with you or you are loose thats why no man has seen you as a good wife material. If you dont marry the guys will think you are always available to use.

If you choose not to marry they will also say that you are too proud bla bla bla.

Based on all these and more me thinks it is necessary but it all depends on choice.
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by dremoney(m): 4:13pm On Jan 24, 2008
teena:

Some cases make most of us who are yet to marry get confused.
There is this uncle of mine, a young and rich man that I used to live with. He had a wife with two lovely kids; to everyone around he loves his wife and kids and can go to any lenght to make them happy. In fact we used to envy them in those days. The woman has a good character to make any man happy in marriage and the husband does not deny that.

To our greatest surprise, few years back, my uncle brought another girl to the house for marriage. This led to series of crisis in the house, so many of us objected to it yet the man had his way. We tried to inquire from him what was the wife's offence, he said she did nothing but that he just felt like having a second wife.

Just last year, he got a third wife. The first wife is still nice and submissive as she used to be and that is why we, the inlaws do not joke with her affairs. Notably, my uncle was the first and only man in that woman's life and they married when he was still trying to find his feet financially.

The reason why my uncle chose to indulge in this polygamy is still a mystery to all of us. Moreso he still show love and respect to the first wife and takes good care of her and the kids.

What's marriage turning into? undecided

lets thank God he stl aprreciate and love his first wife, his might be an hereditary tingy!!!!!!!!!! cheesy
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by Bundee(m): 5:08pm On Jan 24, 2008
In my opinion, there is nothing like the right or wrong person. U can always put in ur best 2 make it work, Communication is the key 2 a successful marriage. Marriage is very neccessary, it shows your ability to manage pple and events around u.
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by nwauwa(m): 5:39pm On Jan 24, 2008
Marriage is very important cos u need continue the process of pro creation and its only in marriage that its legal and permited. thats the only place God accepts it.
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by dimpules: 6:02pm On Jan 24, 2008
@nwa-uwa and bundee.

God talk. you will have great marriages
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by davidif: 4:51am On Jan 26, 2008
very very very very necessary, God please provide me with the right one o.
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by dellynash(f): 2:27pm On Jan 26, 2008
Guys, it is good to be married and there is a natural set of blessings that follow it. The major problem is getting involved with the wrong person. It makes your life a living hell and if you are lucky to get it right, you are on top of the world.

So, how do we tackle this major problem?

I suggest you marry your friend because, when love fades out, friendship remains and friendship can refresh the fading love like we refresh our browsers.

The most important thing in my conclusion is prayer before and during.

Cheers
[table][/table]
You got a point there and i agree with you
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by oziomatv(m): 5:42pm On Jan 26, 2008
If marriage is necessary why Jesus Christ and his twelve apostles stayed single till death?
PERHAPS THEY NOTICED IN ADVANCE THE INCONVENIENCES FACING A MARRIED MAN'S LIFE THEN CHOOSE TO REMAIN SINGLE.
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by dimpules: 5:53pm On Jan 26, 2008
if you can stay single then stay single otherwise marry. thats what the bible says. dont compare this crooked and perverse generation with Jesus and his disciples atall.
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by dremoney(m): 6:56pm On Jan 26, 2008
oziomatv:

If marriage is necessary why Jesus Christ and his twelve apostles stayed single till death?
PERHAPS THEY NOTICED IN ADVANCE THE INCONVENIENCES FACING A MARRIED MAN'S LIFE THEN CHOOSE TO REMAIN SINGLE.

Bros,

abeg no blasphem o!!!!
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by oziomatv(m): 8:41pm On Jan 26, 2008
PLease I no put hand for religion ooo abeg una.
who wan marry make im go ahedi ooo
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by odiaseo(m): 10:05pm On Jan 26, 2008
Marriage is necessary because of the following reasons (there are not in any order)

1. Procreation - How have children
2. Companionship
3. Blessings - if you marry well there are blessings and favours that only come in marriage
4. Sex - sex was designed to be practised within the confines of marriage, except if you want to fornicate
5. Support & help - the woman is mans help meter which means man needs help. Woman is blessed by God to be his help, whatever help man needs the woman is divinely equipped to provide it. Most men don't know this and fail to tap into the wealth of resources at their finger tips

Although there are reports of increasing divorce rates even amongst Christians it still doesn't negate the fact that marriage can be good, sweet and a blessing. It requires hard work to keep the love aflame but you can enjoy the journey together.

My advice to anyone planning to get married is to get the right information and wisdom to date wisely. If you want the best in your mate, be the best! Sow true love, faithfulness and trust and you'll reap a harvest.

More tips and articles at Love dating and marriage relationship
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by hotfunmi(f): 4:16pm On Jan 27, 2008
@poster

re - write the bible then.
Why? marriage is not a must in the bible. It's an option given to children of God to help alleviate the passion that may lead to fornication but not a must for every adult if you can control yourself.
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by Ambber(f): 5:56pm On Jan 27, 2008
If you dont want to have children outside of wedlock then by all means marry. That is the usefullness I find in marriage. Booty call looks like a better option except for STD
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by Jaguar1(m): 9:59pm On Jan 27, 2008
Ok people, I just stumblled on this topic and would like to lend my voice. I couldn't read through the whole thread so would not know all that have been said, but I did like to stress that many married people are happy. This is not making up stories since I am happily married. Your marriage is as good as you make it. I planned to have a happy marital life and that's what am getting. I am not going to write much coz I doubt if I can convince any Thomas with it. The bottom line is; plan, pray and work towards a happy marriage and you will get it.
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by Nobody: 10:28am On Jan 28, 2008
COHABITATION is a sin. Marriage is an institution which makes right everything we've been doing the wrong way. Some people might not realise it, but marraige is a sign of responsibility. How else can you carry out the divine order given by God - Multiply and fill the earth. By having illegitimate children who will be stigmatized all though their lifetime. You can only get from marraige what you expect of it. if you expect failure, you'll definitely get it. Lets no preten like its insignificant. Its one of the most improtant duties in life.
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by yogun(f): 6:41pm On Jan 28, 2008
very important & necessary
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by LordReed(m): 10:53am On Jan 29, 2008
In my mind there are two parts to marriage. One part is the essence the other is the act. The essence is wen a man n a woman agree btw themselves to be together. They are 'married' by reason of their agreement. That is why many relationships end in bad breakups because in essence those involved were 'married'. However there is the act of marriage which is the one everone sees either in church, court, JP, Traditional what have u.
The act is made for social recognition the essence is wat is real. I could say some people who have carried out the act have no essence n dats why they falter.
To answer the question for outside appearances 'marriage' is neccessary but I personally don't see it as such cos it's the essence dat matters.
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by mamto: 2:19pm On Jan 29, 2008
MARRIAGE IS AN INSTITUTION FOR THE SOCIAL CLASS ANIMALS THAT FIND IT DEEM FIT TO MAINTAIN TRUTHFULNESS, PATIENCE, RESPONSIBILTIES AND GOD FAERING. IT IS MARRIAGE THAT DINTINGUISHES US FROM ANIMALS. THUS, IS THE MAIND SOURCE OF NATION BUILDER, THEREFORE MARRIAGE SHOULD BE SOMETHING WE HOLD WITH STRONG FAITH AND BELIEVE. TO ALL INTENTS AND PURPOSES, MARRIAGE CREATE SANITY IN THE SOCEITY,COS WITHOUT WHICH THE DEGREE OF PROMISCUITY AND FURNICATION IS GOING TO BE VERY PLETHORA, HENCE, THIS PUT THE SOCIETY INTO CURSE STATUS BY GOD. TO THIS END, WHEN GETTING MARRY DO NOT LIAR AND OVER EXAGERATE TO UR SPOUSE TO BE. ALWAYS BE ORIGINAL. HOWEVER, WITH THIS U WOULD HAVE A COMFORTABLE MARRIAGE. MARRIAGE MAKE U TO BE A COMPLETE PERSON
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by yewaman1(m): 10:03pm On Jan 29, 2008
Marriage is honourable before God!
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by yewaman1(m): 10:09pm On Jan 29, 2008
Marriage is honourable before God!
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by ruffbob(m): 4:11pm On Jan 30, 2008
marriage is lik aving som many channel but hook 2 one (basket mouth) so u fit 2 baba sytle jus dey born dey go without marriage. cry

but seriously u should look very wel b4 u enter and try as much as possible to keep it dat way shocked
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by uchetobi(f): 4:32pm On Jan 30, 2008
necessity?? depends on what you want from life
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by victor1414: 12:46pm On Jan 31, 2008
By the way, i heard of a purely Nigerian christain singles match making community, i am not sure of theri website but it is booming and a lot of singles are pairing in that community, is there any thing bad with it, i think they are doing it for selfish reasons and they are not born again christains, please i want you to comment on it
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by darmys(f): 1:40pm On Jan 31, 2008
ah! marriage is essential as far as i am concerned!
my mama marry pesin (my papa) so i must marry my own too
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jan 31, 2008
You have to get married only when you are ready to take care of someone else. your wife/husband and possible children.

Any other reason that doesn't include the "other" is not valid!

Even the "love reason" is pure crap. Do you realize we fall in love more than once? That the person we marry at the end is not always the love of our life?
Re: How Necessary Is Marriage? by olafadb: 4:11pm On Jan 31, 2008
Marriage is an institution initiated by God. This is not about being spiritual.
I just got married recently and i can tell you that it has not been a bed of roses cry but with God all things are possible.
Marriage is a playing ground whereby you decide the outcome by yourself (either happiness or sadness).
But it takes patience, endurance, submission and love to make it work.
So my dear when you are ready to get married, make sure your mindset is right. Cheers

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Help My Mother-inlaw Asked My Husband To Walk Out Of Our Marriage / What Can You Never Forgive Your Parent For? / You Need These Shoes In Your Collection

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.