Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,022 members, 7,814,498 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:50 PM

Fuel Subsidy Favours The Rich More Than The Poor – Tinubu - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuel Subsidy Favours The Rich More Than The Poor – Tinubu (26122 Views)

Nigerians Have No Reason To Be Poor- Tinubu / Nigerians Are Not Lazy, Have No Reason To Be Poor – Tinubu / Funke Olakunrin Died Serving The Poor - Tinubu [Photos] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fuel Subsidy Favours The Rich More Than The Poor – Tinubu by sircatherine45(m): 10:32am On Jan 02, 2023
Theunbothered:

Warning signs of severe mental illness. grin

Fuel has increased fourfold with subsidy under the Buhari regime and this goat is talking about cushion, you're sleeping on the bare floor right now. grin

Please ignore that pig.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Favours The Rich More Than The Poor – Tinubu by HardMirror(m): 10:32am On Jan 02, 2023
Omoyoruba101:
Recently I was asked about fuel subsidy removal, and I said I will ensure we end the wastage and re-channel the money to the people who truly need it. This is one position that almost all the candidates are united about. We all agreed that the subsidy regime is abused and it favours the rich more than the poor. It has to go.

Mr. Tinubu you knew all these but you fought Jonathan government with everything be it media houses, Agboro... you Tinubu personally made Jonathan from the south south lost 2015 election to buhari.

politicians are disgusting people. Very cunny.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Favours The Rich More Than The Poor – Tinubu by Okoroawusa: 10:33am On Jan 02, 2023
Kobonaire234:

The problem is in 2012, your man refused to see that.

That is what annoys a lot of us
I don't always reply mentions on Nairaland but because of the sensitivity of this issue I will reply you and educate several others that might be ignorant of the facts.
I don't know how old you are but the subsidy regime practiced during the PDP era is different from the subsidy now.
During the PDP era, there were independent fuel importers who collect subsidy payments for metric tonnes of fuel imported.
Then the importation/subsidy payments became so lucrative that it was the easiest way to make money for PDP chieftains and their children. All you have to do is connive with NNPC officials, claim that you have imported metric tonnes of fuel and that it's waiting to offload because of congestion at the port. You collect your money and nothing is heard of the ship again. I believe that you must have heard about the subsidy probe of that era.
Now when Buhari came on board, NNPC became the sole importer and under-recovery(subsidy) is spent so that citizens can buy at lower prices.
If you have read up to this point then thank you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fuel Subsidy Favours The Rich More Than The Poor – Tinubu by Sakaz3232: 10:34am On Jan 02, 2023
Are you a candidate or knows a candidate planning to write the 2023/2024 Forthcoming JAMB/UTME EXAMS. You/they can apply to join an Online class as scheduled in the flyer above.
Feel free to click on the link for enquiry and more details.
Or contact the coordinators on 08165145251/08076822323
https:///rweh6o
Re: Fuel Subsidy Favours The Rich More Than The Poor – Tinubu by sircatherine45(m): 10:34am On Jan 02, 2023
[quote author=nedu666 post=119629931]
because kero without subsidy is 800 because diesel without subsidy is now 820 because gas without govt intervention is 800 per kg How much do u think fuel without subsidy will be. Nigerians can't afford to buy fuel at 800 a litre[/quote APC urchins can afford that with their 30k salary. hahahahahaha
Re: Fuel Subsidy Favours The Rich More Than The Poor – Tinubu by Occurstaem(m): 10:35am On Jan 02, 2023
mrvitalis:
I agree 100% percentage , poor have zero benefits from fuel subsidy

Infact not only should fuel subsidy be removed VAT charges of 15% should be included

But when Peter obi was part of the national economic team in 2014 pushed for it to be removed nearly 10 years ago Tinubu stood against it

It took Tinubu 10 years to understand what Peter obi understood 10 years ago ...so probably it would take Tinubu 10 years to understand Peter obi is the best candidate
It was 2012.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Favours The Rich More Than The Poor – Tinubu by DrMuzungu(m): 10:36am On Jan 02, 2023
Motherbleeping thief, this Thiefnoobu!

Live on poor man's income for a month, then talk trash about the need to remove subsidy!
Re: Fuel Subsidy Favours The Rich More Than The Poor – Tinubu by SolarEngr(m): 10:37am On Jan 02, 2023
If fuel subsidy is removed (fuel will cost probably #1K/litre, meanwhile electricity is still very much unstable, I wonder how Bussiness and Homes running on generator will manage. Noteworthy is the fact that as soon as fuel subsidy is removed, there will be a higher demand for Solar products an alternative and future source of energy, leading to increasing in prices of solar materials, therefore GO SOLAR TODAY!

Check the thread on my signature, that's the first step

© The Trills Consulting 2023
Re: Fuel Subsidy Favours The Rich More Than The Poor – Tinubu by tete7000(m): 10:39am On Jan 02, 2023
Kobonaire234:

How come PDP did not revive the refineries too?

( I'm not defending apc, just be patient)

We are using the money we would have used for refineries on subsidy.

If Buhari had removed subsidy in 2015 or supported its removal in 2012, the resulting profit would have been enough to revive refineries and build more refineries

And since no free government money they would have worked.

But APC no see am that way. Here we are.

The way you people jumped to mention pdp anytime apc failure is brought to fore is baffling. I think pdp was already considered a failure and that was why apc promising to do better was brought in, why then are we still talking about pdp 71/2 years after apc in government?
When apc was campaigning against subsidy, Buhari said it doesn't exist, infact he said he never heard about the word before, have you forgotten? They said there was enough money without subsidy being removed, they didn't say they need subsidy removal to build refineries, so why are laying their failures at the doorstep of subsidy now? If apc want subsidy removed, they need to first admit their lies and apologise for deceiving millions of people. That is the way people of integrity go.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Favours The Rich More Than The Poor – Tinubu by udeh3(m): 10:39am On Jan 02, 2023
Omoyoruba101:
Recently I was asked about fuel subsidy removal, and I said I will ensure we end the wastage and re-channel the money to the people who truly need it. This is one position that almost all the candidates are united about. We all agreed that the subsidy regime is abused and it favours the rich more than the poor. It has to go.

Mr. Tinubu you knew all these but you fought Jonathan government with everything be it media houses, Agboro... you Tinubu personally made Jonathan from the south south lost 2015 election to buhari.

The common Nigerian allowed him and his cronies to deceive them. See him talking about subsidy removal when he and his party ensured it doesn't see the light of the day.

They ganged up and blackmailed GEJ regime

We deserve better
God bless Nigeria
Re: Fuel Subsidy Favours The Rich More Than The Poor – Tinubu by badoh(m): 10:43am On Jan 02, 2023
Omoyoruba101:

Have you attacked Amaechi on his role in the removal of Jonathan? You people will leave your own and starts attacking Tinubu.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Favours The Rich More Than The Poor – Tinubu by shantti(m): 10:43am On Jan 02, 2023
ZombieTERROR:

Where was Tinubu's sense and patriotism in 2012, when Jonathon removed the fuel subsidy?....

This same evil man condemning subsidy today collaborated with his demented party men to stage a protest against the removal..

Such Evil Man ought to be in The Hague

@moh247 pls answer this
Re: Fuel Subsidy Favours The Rich More Than The Poor – Tinubu by Bigchristo: 10:47am On Jan 02, 2023
Moh247:
cool

Some people would almost kill Tinubu if they can

Two things Tinubu said that would upset many

#Nigeria would remove subsidy by force

#Nigeria would generate electricity with Coal as Global warming isn't our business but cheap power( we have coal in abundance in Enugu and Kogi)

Obasanjo in his letter said Obi was like a Needle with a thread...

Even Obasanjo knows nobody can control Tinubu he has no thread

To the people blaming Tinubu for Occupy Nigeria protest of 2012

*Verified facts

-Tinubu didn't start or organize Occupy Nigeria

-NLC and TUC Started Occupy Nigeria

-Many Politicians participated from CPC, ACN and APGA

-Tinubu's argument was that Nigeria had no Refinery unlike now that Dangote Refinery is 97% completed

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupy_Nigeria#:~:text=Occupy%20Nigeria%20was%20a%20socio,on%20Sunday%2C%201%20January%202012.

Abeg keep quiet this is new year, is too early to start attacking each other but use your own head to think If Tinubu actually look alright to you then you need psychiatric evaluation, he is being controlled even holding his hands like a baby

Re: Fuel Subsidy Favours The Rich More Than The Poor – Tinubu by Originalsly: 10:48am On Jan 02, 2023
The man's brain is really not working well.... really showing signs of amnesia ... the reason he avoids interviews. In this rare interview... he does not quite process the questions posed to him.... he quickly lose track of the question and goes off point. When asked about how the campaign is going so far... his response quickly shifts to fake news. When asked for examples .... he jumps pass that one and talks something else. When asked why he avoids interviews ...he talks about about engaging in speeches and town hall meetings ... which are not interviews.
Some may defend this by saying it is smartness .... political prowess... but it is clearly signs of Alzheimer's disease. If he can't process and manage this simple interview how will he manage the complex issues of running a country? As President he will he rubber stamping everything with no idea what they are about. I wouldn't blame him.... I would blame those who vote him in.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy Favours The Rich More Than The Poor – Tinubu by Moh247: 10:48am On Jan 02, 2023
Bigchristo:
Abeg keep quiet this is new year, is too early to start attacking each other but use your own head to think If Tinubu actually look alright to you then you need psychiatric evaluation, he is being controlled even holding his hands like a baby

I thought you guys ended this nonsense in 2022

Abeg take your trash circled picture to people within you range of thinking
Re: Fuel Subsidy Favours The Rich More Than The Poor – Tinubu by shegz24(m): 10:49am On Jan 02, 2023
Omoyoruba101:

GEJ made himself lose the election.
He couldnt even get his own party to speak with one voice similar to Atiku vs G5/Obi now.

Also aside the fuel subsidy ish, there was massive corruption in his tenure.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Favours The Rich More Than The Poor – Tinubu by Bigchristo: 10:51am On Jan 02, 2023
Moh247:

You need psychiatric evaluation your brain and Tinubu own nor Dey function
Re: Fuel Subsidy Favours The Rich More Than The Poor – Tinubu by udeh3(m): 10:51am On Jan 02, 2023
Mexyz:

Can we just stop the lies all because of politics?
What brought about SURE-P?
Yes we know you want your party to win the election but you don't have to tell blatant lies as if nairalanders are kids.
Okay, didn't Buhari promise to remove subsidy also, what exactly is the reason for the delay?

Don't mind them
Infact, GEJ govt started savings for the raining days, but APC and cronies like Ameachi and few others took the government to court challenging them the right to save money. They won, and since then, money has always been shared to states monthly

APC sabotage GEJ government with lies and propaganda. Something you can't even dare now
Re: Fuel Subsidy Favours The Rich More Than The Poor – Tinubu by Moh247: 10:51am On Jan 02, 2023
Bigchristo:
You need psychiatric evaluation your brain and Tinubu own nor Dey function

Rule 2 mynd44 Seun Nlfpmod dominique Obinoscopy

Zero tolerance for toxicity in 2023

I report you and Ignore you
Re: Fuel Subsidy Favours The Rich More Than The Poor – Tinubu by Nobody: 10:53am On Jan 02, 2023
nedu666:

I don't think subsidy is the problem. The problem is how much fuel do we consume. I personally don't believe in all this figures nnpc gives us.

1.Nothing wrong with NNPC figures. We even consume far more because a) our power supply is bad so we run on generators b) smuggling which happens because fuel is over N300 in all our neighbors, and all of West and Central Africa...c) corruption naturally because selling fuel at a loss means that sharp practices are a necessity otherwise profit won't be made.

2. At the end, it is a serious problem. NNPC is as at November bringing in fuel at N510 and selling to depot at N148. In June last year NNPC was bringing in the same fuel at N261. How does NNPC keep from collapsing? They get more money from the budget...which means money that could have been spent on other things is spent bailing out NNPC from losing money a la subsidy.

Secondly investment in refineries is capital intensive and those who will make that investment will still buy crude oil in dollars which means remove the cost of shipping and insurance for imported fuel, give or take Nigerians will still buy fuel for close to 800 naira.

Yes, because fuel supply and refining is...a ....business. Not a charity.

Would you like it if government set your prices to help the poor.?

You can see a big part of the reason why we don't have working refineries? Plus all the money spent for TAM on refineries gets 'stolen' allegedly because NNPC is running at a loss, yet getting free money from government in the name of subsidy. Under normal circumstances a company running at a loss will fail. At the end, free money=free looting.

We used to subsidies a lot of food items back in the day. It wasn't until queues started forming for things like milk and bread that we woke up and knew it was not sustainable.

B4 govt removes fuel subsidy, there needs to be 24/7 light which automatically removes the need to buy fuel for generating electricity.

And if we want 24 hour light we have to

1.Let the DISCOS and GENCOS set their prices for power...so that they can earn enough profit to make much needed improvements...

2.Nigerians have to pay their bills. 40% of Nigerians do not pay power bills. And it means lost revenue...meaning no money for improvements.

Secondly provision of mass transit like 3000 buses to each state to reduce costs of transport.

Yesh, it hash been suggested by a lot of experts. We need the railways fixed...even if it means taking loans from China again...

But u and i knows dat govt will not do this.

Largely in part because they have to pay for subsides ....which means that the money is not there.

Plus cheap mass transit costs money. We manufacture some buses, but not enough to meet needs. Meaning import.
So let tackle corruption and keep subsidy.

Infact kero should be subsidised to 50 naira

I am no fan of GEJ, but if he had not removed subsides on kero and diesel...by now we would

1.Be paying for subsides using our entire oil revenue + our entire tax revenue + loans

2.We would be funding our budget by loans and loans alone. IMF would be writing our budget for us and telling us how we should spend it.

The problem with subsides is that the production cost of whatever you subsidsie rises. Even if we 'refined in Nigeria'...the production cost would rise because of things like taxes, workers welfare, upgrades to machinery, expansion of refining capacity, making the refinery greener, etc etc. And once production cost rises...SO ALSO DOES SUBSIDY.

And once subsidy rises....so also does the strain on the budget. We would literally be taking money from things like health, education, transport, welfare, even salares....to pay for growing subsides.

The fact that we are subsidsing petrol only is a relief. Add diesel, and kerosene...and the costs would rocket up...meaning larger deficit in budget...meaning ......MORE LOANS. You won't want that.

Also, corruption will flourish when there is subsidy. Free government money always ends with corruption, even in 'sane countries'. (See Obama's green project where millons got lost for nothing. Or the mass corruption in Afghanistan and Iraq under the US..because of free US government money)

Finally, we still lose millions because of smuggling. Fuel is N180, and in ALL our neighbours it is N400. I can carry a 50l jerrycan of fuel across the border, sell it, have enough to bribe customs men, pay for transport, and even dash jarra...AND STILL have enough profit left over. The same thing happens in Venezeula (18 billion dollars lost per annum to smuggling)

. There are 133 million poor people. They deserve free quality health care, quality education to secondary level, cheap housing.

And who is going to pay for that. Even in countries that provide all that stuff....people pay high taxes for the privilege. Our oil revenue, on a good day at 100 dollars per barrel can only give us 70-100 bn dollars per annum. Too small for 230 million people...we need something like 300 bn dollars per annum, then we can talk.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Favours The Rich More Than The Poor – Tinubu by lelion35: 10:55am On Jan 02, 2023
I noticed the forum has more features than NL
qloreal14: Monopoly of Nairaland is finally over

Re: Fuel Subsidy Favours The Rich More Than The Poor – Tinubu by Nobody: 10:55am On Jan 02, 2023
tete7000:

The way you people jumped to mention pdp anytime apc failure is brought to fore is baffling. I think pdp was already considered a failure and that was why apc promising to do better was brought in, why then are we still talking about pdp 71/2 years after apc in government?
When apc was campaigning against subsidy, Buhari said it doesn't exist, infact he said he never heard about the word before, have you forgotten? They said there was enough money without subsidy being removed, they didn't say they need subsidy removal to build refineries, so why are laying their failures at the doorstep of subsidy now? If apc want subsidy removed, they need to first admit their lies and apologise for deceiving millions of people. That is the way people of integrity go.

Yes, and I am telling you how APC failed...they did not remove subsidy , so no profits to revive the refineries.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Favours The Rich More Than The Poor – Tinubu by udeh3(m): 10:57am On Jan 02, 2023
CheapHomes1:

you havent answered the questions

why should subsidy be removed?

which one have they been removing since?

how much subsidy has been removed and how is left to be removed?

Good question. They met it at #87 or thereabout. Less than 8yrs, it's now #250 per litre. So, if subsidy hasn't been removed ever since, how come the price kept going up? If it has been removed, why is the fuel scarcity still on and if it has been removed, what have this govt done with the funds?

APC... We're waiting for your response
Re: Fuel Subsidy Favours The Rich More Than The Poor – Tinubu by BaddestQueen(f): 10:58am On Jan 02, 2023
Moh247:

why are you ignoring me cry
Re: Fuel Subsidy Favours The Rich More Than The Poor – Tinubu by Nobody: 10:59am On Jan 02, 2023
Okoroawusa:

I don't always reply mentions on Nairaland but because of the sensitivity of this issue I will reply you and educate several others that might be ignorant of the facts.

Okay...
I don't know how old you are but the subsidy regime practiced during the PDP era is different from the subsidy now.
During the PDP era, there were independent fuel importers who collect subsidy payments for metric tonnes of fuel imported.
Then the importation/subsidy payments became so lucrative that it was the easiest way to make money for PDP chieftains and their children. All you have to do is connive with NNPC officials, claim that you have imported metric tonnes of fuel and that it's waiting to offload because of congestion at the port. You collect your money and nothing is heard of the ship again. I believe that you must have heard about the subsidy probe of that era.

True...
Now when Buhari came on board, NNPC became the sole importer and under-recovery(subsidy) is spent so that citizens can buy at lower prices.
If you have read up to this point then thank you.
[/quote]

The problem is NNPC sustains massive losses doing so, and has to get a regular infusion of government money..which takes a big bite from our budget...which leads to deficits...which have to be covered by....LOANS. and MORE LOANS...to the point now that we are spending 123% of our budget on loans.!

Also, smuggling of fuel, stealing at NNPC level, and stealing of money at the point where transport costs are paid...are still serious issues.

And finally, if subsidy had gone in 2012...all the stealing you mentioned would have gone too.NNpc would have been profotable, and we would have had more refineries.

Tinubu should have supported subsidy removal in 2012...him and Buhari. They did not have to bow down to PDP, or worship GEJ, just for once accept that there are times when decisions for the good of the country must be made...even at the expense of politcs.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy Favours The Rich More Than The Poor – Tinubu by freeborn02: 10:59am On Jan 02, 2023
Moh247:
cool

#Nigeria would generate electricity with Coal as Global warming isn't our business but cheap power( we have coal in abundance in Enugu and Kogi)

*Verified facts

-Tinubu's argument was that Nigeria had no Refinery unlike now that Dangote Refinery is 97% completed

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupy_Nigeria#:~:text=Occupy%20Nigeria%20was%20a%20socio,on%20Sunday%2C%201%20January%202012.

Why didn't tinubu help Buhari to generate electricity wuth coal?

Other countries are seeking ckean energy but you are talking coal that will further complicate green house effect.

You are stupid.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Favours The Rich More Than The Poor – Tinubu by freeborn02: 11:00am On Jan 02, 2023
Pakute:
Obi lule!, Atiku lule!.. Asiwaju Jagaban the next President of Nigeria InshAllah.

But have you forgotten that Tinubu attacked Jonathan for attempting to remove fuel subsidy?

Your pakute has caught you again.

You tinubu idiots comment like people with dead brains.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy Favours The Rich More Than The Poor – Tinubu by Moh247: 11:02am On Jan 02, 2023
freeborn02:

Why didn't tinubu help Buhari to generate electricity wuth coal?

Other countries are seeking ckean energy but you are talking coal that will further complicate green house effect.

You are stupid.

Rule 2 mynd44 Seun Nlfpmod dominique Obinoscopy

I won't join you kids in your toxic banters this new year

I report and ignore you
Re: Fuel Subsidy Favours The Rich More Than The Poor – Tinubu by djseanjohn77: 11:03am On Jan 02, 2023
Omoyoruba101:

Was Jonathan any better, even Jonathan knew after 2015, Nigeria may not survive, how are you so forgetful what state Nigeria was at that time? It was comatose. Nigeria had nothing left, all his cronies under his watch were scavenging on the boom witnessed, and practically drove us into the hands of Buhari.

Just flash back to 2013-2015. I bet if you were already something at that time, or man enough, you would remember - but Nigerians are too forgetful.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy Favours The Rich More Than The Poor – Tinubu by olab059(m): 11:04am On Jan 02, 2023
Moh247:
cool

*Verified facts

Nice breakdown of real facts.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Favours The Rich More Than The Poor – Tinubu by OsunOriginal: 11:04am On Jan 02, 2023

Since the campaign started I have marshalled more original ideas than anyone else. I have demonstrated knowledge, experience and great capacity to be on top of issues in the country.

The truth... Let's re-echo it across all social media.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Favours The Rich More Than The Poor – Tinubu by Leeofdleetemple: 11:06am On Jan 02, 2023
I just finished reading ��
I need some rest..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Sit-At-Home: Hoodlums Kill One, Burn 7 Vehicles In Enugu / President Jonathan Commissions Ahmadu Bello Int'l Airport, Kebbi (PHOTOS) / Anthony Ugochukwu Died Of Chronic Kidney Diesease - Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.