Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,057 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:58 AM

How I Got Home After A Failed Job Interview - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How I Got Home After A Failed Job Interview (19309 Views)

Reasons For Failed Job Hunts And Solution / Why Have I Always Failed Job Aptitude Test??? Most Especially Dragnet / After 400 Failed Job Applications, Veteran Army Finally Got 70 Job Offers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Got Home After A Failed Job Interview by Curious345: 12:32pm On Jan 13, 2023
AutoConsult:

I can
pm

1 Like

Re: How I Got Home After A Failed Job Interview by Greatdand007(m): 12:46pm On Jan 13, 2023
LoveQuebec:
job of 100k monthly or 150k na u dey kill yourself when i make 29 Dollar per hour worked 5 days a week in a week in ur currency thats like 180k in a week then argue with ur calculator by the time u multiply in a month..
Better find ur way out of that shit hole called Nigeria

Can you help me
Re: How I Got Home After A Failed Job Interview by otipoju(m): 1:13pm On Jan 13, 2023
yaki84:

So catering isnt a skill that is in high demand?

Abi make everybody turn web developer....

Over sabi too dey worry una. I told her to Upskill and invest in herself. That catering line she is in if she develops more skills, she can go to hotels like Sheraton and Radisson Blue or Oriental where she will definetely earn more than a one or two star hotel.
Re: How I Got Home After A Failed Job Interview by yaki84: 1:18pm On Jan 13, 2023
otipoju:

Over sabi too dey worry una. I told her to Upskill and invest in herself. That catering line she is in if she develops more skills, she can go to hotels like Sheraton and Radisson Blue or Oriental where she will definetely earn more than a one or two star hotel.

No be from small jobs she will start upskilling and getting necessary recommendations?

Getting more skills without years of experience is tantamount to building castle inside lagoon.
Re: How I Got Home After A Failed Job Interview by josephevergreen(m): 1:19pm On Jan 13, 2023
Up your game girl invest more on yourself..aquire more skills..they won't be able to resist you.
Re: How I Got Home After A Failed Job Interview by Karac: 1:27pm On Jan 13, 2023
Mrklemo:
Unam ikot.

Lol grin cheesy

Are you currently based in AKS?
Re: How I Got Home After A Failed Job Interview by NaijaCover(m): 1:40pm On Jan 13, 2023
flakkypastries:

Thanks sir..
I'm actually looking for a secetarial or receptionist job but the agent told me it's only hotel job that is available and since I'm into catering and small chop I decided to apply for the hotel job maybe I can be employed as kitchen attendant.

Can You Publish On A website And Get Paid Monthly.
Re: How I Got Home After A Failed Job Interview by Fireson: 2:07pm On Jan 13, 2023
Because she is a female. See all of them wanting to help. grin
Re: How I Got Home After A Failed Job Interview by East2West: 2:08pm On Jan 13, 2023
flakkypastries:
Good morning Nairalanders
I want to share my experience about the job interview I went for yesterday
Im into catering services but i just decided to look for a job at least to help me boost my income.

A friend of mine directed me to an office in Ojota where I collected a form of 3k with the hope that they will match me with a job.

Unfortunately for me we were about 35 candidate on queue looking for job and the directed me two different hotels , the first hotel is at the back of county hospital Aguda Ogba and on getting there the manager said they have employed kitchen attendant 2months ago and ask me to drop my CV.

The second hotel is around Akinyode Grammar School and the same issue happened again they have employed another person,and at a time I feel dejected but the most funniest part is that I have almost spent the money with me on transport because I'm based at Ketu Lagos..

I'm a type that doesn't know how to beg people for money after trekking for few distance i will wait at the bus stop to look at the conductors face and then plead egbon e Jo e help me and lol and behold I was able to get help from the conductors and this make me feel not all bus conductors are bad.

I got back home safe and I believe soon or later I will get a better job even without going through the stress I went through

Anyone with such experience while hunting for job.

You possess the ability to adapt to changing priorities. This is highly needed in workplaces. Just keep it up.

You can actually compete for top jobs if you improve your skills and get recognized certificates in the area of your job search.

Considering your spirit, I am willing to offer you FREE OF CHARGE, 2 courses on our training and certification platform that will upgrade you and also give a five star acceptance on your CV.

Since you are in Lagos, you will have to access it through our online training platform (PROVARSITY)

Please send me a pm to discuss further.

Below is the link to top management courses you can take. Go through it and select any two you want. The school will provide you with free (full access) login account to start learning and get certified.
Like I said, this will be free of charge for you. You can comment here if you are asked for money at any time on this.

List of top management courses
https://provarsity.net/course/management/

A type of skill and certification course I expect you to have and complete is below

https://provarsity.net/courses/administrative-assistant-and-executive-secretary-professional/

Do send a pm.
Good day.
Re: How I Got Home After A Failed Job Interview by Glistinin(m): 2:09pm On Jan 13, 2023
Why calculate in Naira when you spend in Canadian dollars?
Those abroad need to do away with this kind of mentality because it will not give you enough motivation to grind more!
FYI, I earn in dollars and euros here in Nigeria but, I still don't calculate in Naira even though I spend Naira.
LoveQuebec:
job of 100k monthly or 150k na u dey kill yourself when i make 29 Dollar per hour worked 5 days a week in a week in ur currency thats like 180k in a week then argue with ur calculator by the time u multiply in a month..
Better find ur way out of that shit hole called Nigeria
Re: How I Got Home After A Failed Job Interview by Mrklemo(m): 2:25pm On Jan 13, 2023
Karac:

Lol grin cheesy

Yes.. Good day
Re: How I Got Home After A Failed Job Interview by Mrklemo(m): 2:26pm On Jan 13, 2023
Karac:

Lol grin cheesy

Yes.. Good day.
Re: How I Got Home After A Failed Job Interview by Love800(m): 2:29pm On Jan 13, 2023
But op what is wrong with the catering business u are into? Pls can u explain to me because am interested in catering too.

Is catering not lucrative?
Re: How I Got Home After A Failed Job Interview by flakkypastries: 3:05pm On Jan 13, 2023
Love800:
But op what is wrong with the catering business u are into? Pls can u explain to me because am interested in catering too.

Is catering not lucrative?
Catering is lucrative but it's just that most times it's seasonal work and I haven't gotten all the tools for baking, am still managing with someone...

1 Like

Re: How I Got Home After A Failed Job Interview by Greatdand007(m): 3:05pm On Jan 13, 2023
flakkypastries:
Im into catering services but i just decided to look for a job at least to help me boost my income.

A friend of mine directed me to an office in Ojota where I collected a form of 3k with the hope that they will match me with a job.

Unfortunately for me we were about 35 candidate on queue looking for job and the directed me two different hotels , the first hotel is at the back of county hospital Aguda Ogba and on getting there the manager said they have employed kitchen attendant 2months ago and ask me to drop my CV.

The second hotel is around Akinyode Grammar School and the same issue happened again they have employed another person,and at a time I feel dejected but the most funniest part is that I have almost spent the money with me on transport because I'm based at Ketu Lagos..

I'm a type that doesn't know how to beg people for money after trekking for few distance i will wait at the bus stop to look at the conductors face and then plead egbon e Jo e help me and lol and behold I was able to get help from the conductors and this make me feel not all bus conductors are bad.

I got back home safe and I believe soon or later I will get a better job even without going through the stress I went through

I also paid agent for job that was 2020 but I could not secure a job thru him by the time sun panel beat me after walking the whole Lagos no body tell me to go start my personal biz
Re: How I Got Home After A Failed Job Interview by Greatdand007(m): 3:07pm On Jan 13, 2023
Glistinin:
Those abroad need to do away with this kind of mentality because it will not give you enough motivation to grind more!
FYI, I earn in dollars and euros here in Nigeria but, I still don't calculate in Naira even though I spend Naira.

What do you do sir
Re: How I Got Home After A Failed Job Interview by Rrchrd(m): 3:29pm On Jan 13, 2023
I've wasted money on the so called job agents yet nothing yield.
Till now no job how I manage to eat only God knowns
Re: How I Got Home After A Failed Job Interview by Ceeogbaru2: 3:31pm On Jan 13, 2023
How did you get where you are pls

quote author=LoveQuebec post=119988757]job of 100k monthly or 150k na u dey kill yourself when i make 29 Dollar per hour worked 5 days a week in a week in ur currency thats like 180k in a week then argue with ur calculator by the time u multiply in a month..
Better find ur way out of that shit hole called Nigeria [/quote]
Re: How I Got Home After A Failed Job Interview by Love800(m): 3:37pm On Jan 13, 2023
Sorry for disturbing u. Wat kind of catering do u do
Is it catering for events or selling food on the road or delivery services?
What do u mean by that it is seasonal.
flakkypastries:

Catering is lucrative but it's just that most times it's seasonal work and I haven't gotten all the tools for baking, am still managing with someone...
Re: How I Got Home After A Failed Job Interview by viodemus: 4:46pm On Jan 13, 2023
I like your hopeful spirit. Don't give up.

Some people who can help are overwhelmed because doing an honest business and hoping it is successful, in Nigeria, is not a joke.

Like I said, I like your spirit, you have a better head on your shoulder than I did 10 years ago. I was very useless and was only interested in mumu things back then, until grace cun begin direct me. Am still on my journey, but you are already facing the storm with a good mindset.

I believe you will see great results soon. Don't totally give up on life, Nigeria, and your hope. In Campus, for seven years, I probably go inside class maybe the first week of my matriculation year, after that until I graduate I no go again. If we hear say so and so dey class, e no go tey him go see movement around wey go make him leg turn to legomotive engine. So no real education was absorbed. except for one or two intelligent people wey I dey go out of my way to protect and sometimes pay to dey around me dey teach me the small one wey dem know.

There was no tangible experience on my part, but just a tenth of this hope wey you get now.

Good can happen at anytime. so keep your hope alive until the end of your life. Make realistic adjustments but still maintain your discipline on hope. .

Good luck to you on all your endeavors.
Re: How I Got Home After A Failed Job Interview by flakkypastries: 4:54pm On Jan 13, 2023
viodemus:
I like your hopeful spirit. Don't give up.

Some people who can help are overwhelmed because doing an honest business and hoping it is successful, in Nigeria, is not a joke.

Like I said, I like your spirit, you have a better head on your shoulder than I did 10 years ago. I was very useless and was only interested in mumu things back then, until grace cun begin direct me. Am still on my journey, but you are already facing the storm with a good mindset.

I believe you will see great results soon. Don't totally give up on life, Nigeria, and your hope. In Campus, for seven years, I probably go inside class maybe the first week of my matriculation year, after that until I graduate I no go again. If we hear say so and so dey class, e no go tey him go see movement around wey go make him leg turn to legomotive engine. So no real education was absorbed. except for one or two intelligent people wey I dey go out of my way to protect and sometimes pay to dey around me dey teach me the small one wey dem know.

There was no tangible experience on my part, but just a tenth of this hope wey you get now.

Good can happen at anytime. so keep your hope alive until the end of your life. Make realistic adjustments but still maintain your discipline on hope. .

Good luck to you on all your endeavors.
Thanks Sir
Re: How I Got Home After A Failed Job Interview by delpee(f): 6:33pm On Jan 13, 2023
@OP
You could try to upgrade your skills at a Lagos State Vocational Centre nearest to you. I learnt that companies and SMEs recruit interns from there. With some experience, it becomes easier to make progress.
Re: How I Got Home After A Failed Job Interview by Restaurant92: 7:15pm On Jan 13, 2023
flakkypastries:

Are you willing to work in VI, if yes, please send me your CV through this email:

recruitment.restaurant92@gmail.com
Re: How I Got Home After A Failed Job Interview by Restaurant92: 7:21pm On Jan 13, 2023
ekenesamuel:
Good day fellow nairaland. Any job vacancy for bsc Mathematics and ond accounting? I need a job.

send you CV to recruitment.restaurant92@gmail.com
Re: How I Got Home After A Failed Job Interview by Lookingback: 8:22pm On Jan 13, 2023
flakkypastries:

Sorry for the bad experience, please never pay for any form concerning job, it is a format they use in exploiting job seekers .
Re: How I Got Home After A Failed Job Interview by flakkypastries: 8:25pm On Jan 13, 2023
Lookingback:

Sorry for the bad experience, please never pay for any form concerning job, it is a format they use in exploiting job seekers .
I have learnt my lesson and will never pay for any job
Re: How I Got Home After A Failed Job Interview by flakkypastries: 8:26pm On Jan 13, 2023
delpee:
@OP
You could try to upgrade your skills at a Lagos State Vocational Centre nearest to you. I learnt that companies and SMEs recruit interns from there. With some experience, it becomes easier to make progress.
Thanks for this Sir
Re: How I Got Home After A Failed Job Interview by Lookingback: 9:00pm On Jan 13, 2023
Glistinin:

Please Can you link me up with such Job opportunities?
Re: How I Got Home After A Failed Job Interview by delpee(f): 9:35pm On Jan 13, 2023
Search

Home

Why artisans from neighbouring countries are flooding Nigeria – LASTVEB boss
8th January 2023
Morenike Azeez
Azeez

By
Oluwafemi Morgan
Kindly share this story:

The Executive Secretary, Lagos State Technical and Vocational Education Board, Mrs Moronke Azeez, tells OLUWAFEMI MORGAN about the state of technical education in the country

What has been your experience heading Lagos State Technical and Vocational Education Board?

I come from a social development background and the work here fits into social development, so I am sort of familiar with different processes and systems to bring about change. The work here, as I see it, is really about managing change, creating transformation and also building relationships by bringing in partnerships.

Before now, we were a training provider; once we trained, we said goodbye (to our students). But for me, coming from that social background, I said no, we are trainers but our work has not stopped until we see our products getting employment or being self-employed. I believe that that is when we can say we have done our job.

How do you describe the education routes provided by LASTVEB schools?

Under the national policy on education, we have in the secondary education, there is what we call the general education. The general education is the secondary school, SS1, SS2, SS3; you take WASSCE and then you then UTME, leading to university admission. You have that route.

On the other hand, under that policy, they have provided another route and that route is what we call the technical education route. It says that for those ones who do not want to have the general education, you can go into the technical college. The technical side is three years. And then they take NABTEB exams and after the exams, they have three options, go for self-employment, or even go into higher education.

What is the level of enrolment at the moment. I read the website and it said that you had 7,000 students as at 2015. So, what is the level of enrolment now in 2022?

In 2022, we are getting close to 9,000 students, and I think that is because there is a lot more awareness around, not just technical education, but also the vocational, and also the skills and competency in terms of getting employment using technical or vocational or artisanal skills.

So, there has been a lot of awareness and there has been a lot of drive and that drive has come through the encouragement of the Lagos State Government. It has also come through the encouragement and participation of international donor organisations and even the private sector.

Do you have enough teachers to cater for the number of students that have come into the technical colleges?

What I would say is that I am not sure whether any form of education, general education or technical education,can say ‘I got extra teachers.’ There are different reasons why you cannot have 100 per cent teachers. But at the moment I will say we have adequate teachers but we could do with some more.

By this I mean that we are stretching the instructors. We could do with some more, especially when it comes to the practical sessions where we need the smaller group of students to participate in practical sessions. We could probably do with some more teachers in certain skill areas.

I can give you an example of that. We were talking to somebody about refrigeration and air-conditioning. We could do with some more people, because the ones that used to do it are now retired, and it’s difficult to find that skill. They will probably do electronics, but when it comes to that real master craftsmen, you wouldn’t find them. So, in those kind of areas we have shortage. But usually what we do is to say ‘what kind of creative, innovative way can we use to get good craftsmen into the system to support us in doing that?’

Do you have modern machines and equipment for training?

I have already told you that we are not sitting still, we know that the world is moving, we know that there are new equipment, we know that there are new technologies, but it doesn’t mean that the old is not working for training purposes. This is one of the reasons we say we have developing partners to bring in investment into our technical schools, so that we can get new machines, new tools, new experiences for our teachers and students.

The other thing is that I am not sure that we will be able to get every single equipment that we need in technical schools and that is why the students’ industrial work experience is important. This is so that even if we can’t get every single equipment, they can go out for industrial training and get experience see new tools, new machines and learn how to operate them and so on.

Do teachers in the technical colleges have training from time to time?

First of all, we have developed our strategy and we have three core areas in our strategy. The first focus area is continuous professional development of our instructors, teachers and our administrators. We very much believe that if we do not continuously train our instructors and our teachers, they cannot give us the best in terms of modernising, making changes to our curriculum, developing and imbibing new things into the colleges.

So, that is a key area for us, and as a result of that we have been pushing to make sure that as many teachers as possible are getting training over time. We are not going to train everyone of them in one year; economically, the state can’t do that, but we can do as much as possible in phases. For example, we were able to get GIZ, an international development agency, they supported us to train 35 of our instructors in Germany for three weeks. Through our own internal budget, we also organise some training for our teachers, and then we have some other partners that we seek to get their support in training our teachers.

How do you transit your students from learning to the world of work?

Related News
NASENI unfolds Buhari’s plans to support local artisans
76,588 artisans join pension scheme in three years
Lagos, firm to honour artisans, tradesmen

Most of our students don’t think of white collar jobs. Our aim is to develop and build highly skilled technicians that will be suitable for the industry, for the world of work and if they choose, self-employment, as well. This starts from inside the classrooms, having practicals, taking NABTEB, to make sure that they pass after their three years. Every year, we send an average of about 3,000 students out to do Student Industrial Work Experience (SIWES). So, that starts to prepare them for the world of work. They go out for three months, they are there learning the ropes around their own specific trade area, and understanding what it means to work. On completion of SIWES, they return to school to take their exams.

I told you that partnership is very key to us. Some of our graduates will go and look for jobs by themselves, afterwards. Some of them, because of our own relationship with some of our partners, our partners can come to us and say, ‘Please we need 15 students from your electrical department, we will interview them and take the ones that we want,’ or they can say, ‘We will like people to come for six months internship and so on, and at the end of the programme, probably we will employ a few of them.’

So, we are always getting those kinds of requests because of the relationships that we have with a lot of our partners. We have over 400 partners that we have developed relationships over time. It is a lot of work, in terms of cultivating relationships with these partners.

Can the five colleges being operated by the Lagos State Technical Board take care of the demand for technical education?

No, they don’t. The five technical colleges are situated in the Ibile zones, but their set-up was during the late 80s and 90s, not to forget that a lot of people are coming into Lagos State, and they want either general or technical education. So, what we are now looking at is to set up new technical colleges in certain areas.

Don’t forget, if you really want to get very good quality technical education, you have to be ready to give it all it takes, because it is very expensive in terms of the tools and equipment. You can build classrooms, these are the basic, but it is when you start equipping it with all those tools that you spend so much more; you have to really invest properly. We are looking at that for next year.

In addition, under the Ministry of Education, we have what we call the comprehensive schools and what they have done is to create vocational centres inside those comprehensive schools, so that those students in those schools can easily go into vocational training, or they do a little bit of vocation and can now come to us to finish a vocational course.

What is your response to the report that Nigerians hire craftsmen from neighbouring countries like Benin Republic, Ghana, Niger to do tiling, bricklaying, construction, and if we have that much skills that we say we have, why are we not using our people?

You see, that question is very loaded and I am answering for myself. Don’t forget that we have neglected technical and vocational skills in our own country. So, because we neglected it, we had very poor skills. We started building and maintaining (infrastructures), but we had not prepared ourselves for that future of construction. So they (the employers) had to go outside to look for people to work for them. So when people start complaining that we don’t have skills, yes, we don’t have skills, because we didn’t invest enough. We were investing in universities, now they are complaining. They (people), the government, the private sector didn’t invest, so the easiest option they could resort to is to say, ‘Let’s go to Benin (Republic), let’s get people to work for us.’

Meanwhile, we have many people coming out of the university, they don’t want to go into the vocational route, they don’t want to do all those kinds of things. They also want to be wearing their jackets and tie but then, there are no jobs. So that is how we started having this huge skills gap in the country. This people need a certain requirement, a certain skill.

We have realised this situation and we have started getting our act together, but you see, there is always an incubation period. You cannot train somebody to be very competent and highly skilled in one day or two days. So, at the moment, there are competent, skilled ones going into the market, but they are not as many as the demand. So, it means that the more we are training over time, then those competent ones will be available and we will not need to go bring foreigners to do the jobs.

The other side of the argument is that when something (bad) happens, we say, ‘ We don’t have skills. It is the artisan’. When you get to a building site, is it the artisan that is the ‘oga’ there? There is (always) a supervisor, and above the supervisor, there is a project manager, and above him, the consultants. But when something bad happens everyone will point accusing fingers at the people on the lowest rung of the ladder.

The good thing is that we are all working together, whether it is the private sector or the Federal Government, to develop the curriculum, especially around the construction industry at the moment. We are all working together with NBTE to develop national occupational standards that says, ‘These are the minimum set of guidelines when you are training these ones’. So, if we all share that and we are all working towards that, it means that we are going to be developing more competent hands for the construction industry and other industries.

Recently the Senate raised issues on trying to regularise the apprenticeship systems in the country and also to make sure that their certificate is worth it as well. Is Lagos State trying to do that?

You Might Also Like

We are also regulated by the National Board of Technical Education, and the NBTE is the lead on what you call National Skills Qualification; they have been developing the framework for sometime now. There are other partners who are working with them to drive this NSQ. The NSQ gives people who are in apprenticeship the option to formalise their training and learning. So that it can fit into certain grades within that NSQ framework, that goes from Level One, all the way to Level Seven or so. We are working with them and there are also international agencies working with them so that we can get this standards and certification right.

What is the demography of the students coming into the technical colleges?

I would say that when it comes to technical colleges they are more of the underprivileged ones, but there are also some from middle-class backgrounds.

But when it comes to the vocational side, you are going to find all sorts of strata within that vocational side, and the reason is that they have gone to the university, they have gone to learn English, Law, and others and they can’t find work. They then go to the vocational route, they do short-term courses in fashion design, media and others. They do that short-term and before you know it they are using it for self-employment. So, when it comes to vocational training, there is really an array of people.

Now, people have realised that there is a lot of money to be made in music. They have seen some very popular and successful fashion designers, now they are all saying to their wards, ‘It doesn’t matter, you too, if that is the case, go and do what your heart tells you; because you too can do the same thing and succeed in life.’

You are working in a male dominated space, how are you navigating the terrain?

I am working in a male-dominated space, that is right. The setup has a lot of male, but you will find that when you go to some departments you will find a lot of females as well. I am an experienced manager. You need to build relationships; you need to work together with teams, our teams need to have clear directions. They need to know and understand that this is where they are going and everybody is working towards that, and that brings harmony.

Kindly share this story:

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.

Subscribe
punchng.com © 1971- 2023 Punch Nigeria Limited

About us
Advertise with us
Contact
Re: How I Got Home After A Failed Job Interview by delpee(f): 9:37pm On Jan 13, 2023
Those searching for jobs should read the above. It may be a good option for some.
Re: How I Got Home After A Failed Job Interview by delpee(f): 9:42pm On Jan 13, 2023
flakkypastries:

Thanks for this Sir

It's a pleasure. Try to link up with event planners so you can have opportunities to supply food/snacks etc at events. You'll grow with good referrals.

I pray you experience divine favor and amazing grace to propel you to greater heights in 2023.

I'm female by the way. smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Npower Teach To Collect 30k Not 23k / "Why Should We Hire You?" / BEFORE YOU GO FOR ANY SALES JOB! Free Lessons

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.